samsung BD-P1590 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 720 Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up this player from WalMart last night, it's going right back tonight.

This might just be me, but maybe not. Here's my setup

TV is a Mitsubishi WD-73733 73-Inch 1080p DLP HDTV
I have a HR20/700 DirecTV DVR in HDMI 1
I have the BD-P1590 in HDMI 2

Now, I set the input to HDMI2, went to setup Pandora, and all is great until the music starts. At that point the video goes off and my TV locks up. I cannot change the input, or do anything with the TV. I had to power off the Bluray player to get the TV back again.

Secondly, watching The Matrix, I noticed that the audio was out of sync. Considering I've seen other people mention this also, I'm not even going to waste my time.

Third, the wireless. I went to configure the wireless and it said there was no access point.

Finally, I'm not sure if I was expecting more from the LAN, but I cannot play content from a PC on the Bluray player like I can with the DirecTV box. They don't tell you this until you rip the box open and it tells you somewhere in the manual.

Disappointing experience for my first Bluray experience. I don't need Netflix or Pandora so I'll maybe just go for something cheap and cheerful at Best Buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 720 Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFredrickson View Post

Has anybody else noticed a delay in audio on netflix? It seems to come and go- if you pause a netflix movie, and unpause, it sometimes fixes it.. but for the most part, audio on netflix is delayed considerably...

Also- the buttons on the front look like they're a different color in the picture.. mine are totally black- anybody else with this problem? I can't see the buttons on the front without a flashlight.. I'm really thinking about returning this ..

I really don't think this delay is a function of the player. It is a problem with Netflix. Go to your account page on Netflix. You will see a place where you can critique individual titles. One of the questions there concerns problems you may be having with the audio/visual syncronization. Some titles are better than others on Netflix with regard to this sync problem.
post #33 of 720 Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM

I just got a new Cosco magazine in which is a new Samsung player that will be an exclusive with Cosco: 1590C. I guess the C is for Cosco version. There was no pricing listed, but it looks exactly like the 1590 carried by Walmart. The only outward difference that I can see bettween the 1590 and the 1600 is the missing flip down door on the 1590C. The only major criticism of the 1600 on CNET was this door, so I gather the deletion of the door is a gain, although I have no complaints about the door on mine.
post #34 of 720 Old 07-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
saw it too in the costco rag, how will this compete with the LG 370?
post #35 of 720 Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Currently, there is a firmware update for this player.

Old version: BEV1.01_090312_XAA

New version: BEV1.03_090528_XAA

From the Samsung website:

< BD-P1600 Firmware Ver 1.03 >
Date: JUNE. 23. 2009
This Firmware update provides the following benefits:
1. Improves playback compatibility of some movie titles

USB Version

USB Version Guide PDF

CD Version

CD Version Guide PDF

Updating the firmware via the player's network connection took about 30 minutes with a 20down/1.5up cable connection. The files above took less than a few seconds.

The whole operation took 4 steps: 1-announcement of the update, 2-download (about 30 minutes), 3-verify (less than 30 seconds) and 4-processing (about 1-2 minutes). When finished the player turned off automatically. During the procedure, the front display showed "NET-UP".

I'll be trying multi-branching discs as soon as I can. Titles will include: T2 Skynet Edition, AVP Requiem and 12 Rounds (titles I had audio/video glitches with).

P.S. After the update, 24F was turned off. I simply turned it back on again. All other settings seem to have remained the same.
post #36 of 720 Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM

I was surprise to see the same player at Canadian Tire
They've been selling it at Wal-Mart and Costco here in Toronto
at around $258 - $278 Canadian

ps: i don't know if I posted the pricing in the right post...feel free to remove

Live free or die.
post #37 of 720 Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Just played T2 Skynet edition again with the new firmware but still had a section where the DTS-HD audio just stopped. The pop menu had sound. I selected the Dolby track and sound returned. I then switch back to the DTS-HD track and the sound was back. This rules out my receiver I had the player connected to before as the player is now connected directly to another HDTV.
post #38 of 720 Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM

I just bought a Samsung BD-P1590. I've been having problems connecting it to my wireless. It's not a big issue right now. However, it is only playing in black and white and I'm not quite sure why or how to fix it...
post #39 of 720 Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klove8704 View Post

I just bought a Samsung BD-P1590. I've been having problems connecting it to my wireless. It's not a big issue right now. However, it is only playing in black and white and I'm not quite sure why or how to fix it...

That's not possible over HDMI, so I gather you must be using Component?
post #40 of 720 Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Finally looking to join the BluRay world and have been doing research (and lurking here!) etc for past couple weeks in prep to buy. Today, spontaneously, I picked up a BD1590 at Costco for $230, without knowing much about it (it was not on the short list which included the JVC, LG and the Sammy3600). But, figured after what I had learned so far about various features I wanted + costco return policy, I had little to loose!

I don't have a fancy HT and the BD will feed directly into a 42"Tosh LCD via HDMI. So here are the questions:
Anyone have any thoughts/comments about the Sammy playing nice with the Tosh?
Is the firmware update critical?
Comparisons between using a wifi or wired connections?

Will post experience as I gain some.
post #41 of 720 Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM

set up the 1590 last night - and started messing around with it. Initial reports are positive, easy menus, reasonable documentation (as much as I have gotten through thus far), quite operation, decent load times, nice picQual overall.

The Regza-link feature in the Tosh seems happy to talk to the Sammy over the HDMI (though I have not pushed their communication to a deep level) except that when the BD starts up the TV will automatically switch to HDMI2 (where the BD is plugged in) even if I want to leave it at HDMI1 (cable).

Would eventually like to drive the whole thing from the Cable/DVR remote - have not yet set that up. I do know that the TV does not like to change inputs from the cable remote - so that may now prove to be even more of an issue given the automatic switching to HDMI2 when the BD starts up.

other 1590 users out there with any thoughts/comments on their use of cable remotes to run their BD?
post #42 of 720 Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM

Picked one up at Costco on Saturday for $229

Connected to network and pugged in a 1GB USB drive

When I turned on the unit it immediately came up that there was a firmware update once it had booted up, need to check what verions it was tonight.

First thing I did was check Netflix and setup worked easily (had Netflix already) and was streaming Wall-e for the kids within a few minutes. Quality was actually pretty good on the big screen. Connected to Sanyo PLV-700 projector and 135" screen

Not keen on the shiny black remote as media room is completely dark.
Will setup with new Harmony 520 remote I just ordered as my older Harmony remote is acting up

What are the recommended settings for this player ?

HDMI is connected directly to projector.
Audio via optical cable to Yamaha amp (older 7.1 amp - no HDMI)

ALSO, the IR receiver is NOT where it says it is in the manual. It is to the LEFT of the display as I found out whilst using my IR repeater setup

134" of HD picture !!
post #43 of 720 Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Bought this BD player and love it but have an issue that hopefully someone knows about...

Pandora stops streaming and crashes my whole home network between 1:09-1:20 into a song. Usually at 1:11. I have to turn off the samsung then my network is fine. I've returned the samsung and picked up another one (problem still occurs), replaced my Cisco/Linksys router (same problem), changed out my LAN cable, changed the cable from the modem to the wall jack, and it still happens.

Pandora is awesome on my computer, but I can't get it to work with the BD player and I want it through my home stereo!!

Netflix streaming seems to work fine (only tried one movie though). My Internet Cable company said it was a problem with Samsung. Samsung said it was a problem with Pandora - but it works fine on my computer.

Can anyone help?
post #44 of 720 Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My Samsung locked up at chapter 5 of Watchmen. Fast forwarding or Next chaptering to force past that point causes the player to resume playing at chapter 2. The menus work good (blocky, blinking and clipping on my Sony S360). Also on the Samsung, the special playback version with the director would never start or get past the animated gears. It worked fine on the Sony which also received a recent firmware update like the Samsung.

Maybe multi-branching AND DTS-HD audio tracks is causing the Samsung issues. Still not sure. I do know that the recent firmware did nothing for me with titles like the Watchmen, T2: Skynet Edition, AVP Requiem, etc. I believe I can rule out overheating due to the fact that other titles play fine during and after playing discs with issues.
post #45 of 720 Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 AM

FYI, mine picked up another firmware update last night, I think it was 1.3

134" of HD picture !!
post #46 of 720 Old 07-25-2009, 02:42 PM

I picked one up about 3 weeks ago and so far I really have no complaints.

My TV is an older Toshiba 46" CRT Projection (H83) set. I am using HDMI and have only seen the audio mismatch once. I have checked it with audio through RCA on the TV and with TosLink through a Yamaha DSP amp. The one time I had it (RCA) I reset the player and it disappeared.

I had been using the NetFlix player on my XBox 360 and the Samsung seems to stream much better. I have had virtually none of the buffering problems that I had with the console. Also, the Samsung has none of the fan noise that makes quiet scenes tough to hear.

I've only played a couple of BD movies but have not thought the load times to be any longer than my Toshiba HD-DVD player was. In fact, some seem quicker.

The SD play is upconverted very nicely. Animated films look great, even TV shows are very crisp.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the purchase. A great price when you add in the convenience (and quiet playback) of NetFlix.
post #47 of 720 Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

My Samsung locked up at chapter 5 of Watchmen. Fast forwarding or Next chaptering to force past that point causes the player to resume playing at chapter 2. The menus work good (blocky, blinking and clipping on my Sony S360). Also on the Samsung, the special playback version with the director would never start or get past the animated gears. It worked fine on the Sony which also received a recent firmware update like the Samsung.

Maybe multi-branching AND DTS-HD audio tracks is causing the Samsung issues. Still not sure. I do know that the recent firmware did nothing for me with titles like the Watchmen, T2: Skynet Edition, AVP Requiem, etc. I believe I can rule out overheating due to the fact that other titles play fine during and after playing discs with issues.

Watchmen was the first disc my player didn't like. It would finish a couple of chapters and then repeat the chapters. It also had a sync problem. This happened before and after the update. However, it was a rental copy, while my purchased one comes in the mail. So we'll see if it does it as well.
post #48 of 720 Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Does anyone use the Pandora feature?
post #49 of 720 Old 07-27-2009, 11:34 AM

I just got the player on Friday, 7/24. I've used the Pandora feature and so far it has worked great. I have not had any problems with it. I have the latest firmware (1.3) which I upgraded on 7/25. I have not tried a blu-ray disc yet, which I hope to do soon.

-Jason
post #50 of 720 Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaChase View Post

Finally looking to join the BluRay world and have been doing research (and lurking here!) etc for past couple weeks in prep to buy. Today, spontaneously, I picked up a BD1590 at Costco for $230, without knowing much about it (it was not on the short list which included the JVC, LG and the Sammy3600). But, figured after what I had learned so far about various features I wanted + costco return policy, I had little to loose!

I don't have a fancy HT and the BD will feed directly into a 42"Tosh LCD via HDMI. So here are the questions:
Anyone have any thoughts/comments about the Sammy playing nice with the Tosh?
Is the firmware update critical?
Comparisons between using a wifi or wired connections?

Will post experience as I gain some.

Hi, I am new to this forum..just wanted to check if 1590c available in Costco need additional wireless adaptor or is it included with the player?

Thank you,
post #51 of 720 Old 07-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthu999 View Post

Hi, I am new to this forum..just wanted to check if 1590c available in Costco need additional wireless adaptor or is it included with the player?

Thank you,

It does not come with the wireless adapter...you'll either need to buy Samsung's USB one (overpriced, but it's the only USB adapter that will work), or use the ethernet port to plug it into your router or a wireless gaming adapter of some sort.

The Costco version does come with a 3-4 foot HDMI cable.
post #52 of 720 Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechman View Post

It does not come with the wireless adapter...you'll either need to buy Samsung's USB one (overpriced, but it's the only USB adapter that will work), or use the ethernet port to plug it into your router or a wireless gaming adapter of some sort.

The Costco version does come with a 3-4 foot HDMI cable.

Thanks you for the details
post #53 of 720 Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 AM

I picked this BR player up the other day and updated to latest firmware. Am getting lip sync issues with DVDs. Anyone figure out how to resolve? Am taking it back if no solution.

Am also disappointed it doesn't have WiFi... the box is misleading. Netflix works fine though.
post #54 of 720 Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM

Another issue: Netflix only works if I unplug power to box before playing. If I turn off with power switch, next time I power on it says Netflix not available. If I unplug power and plug back in, everything OK until next power off. Anyone else having this issue with latest firmware?
post #55 of 720 Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The latest releases of 12 Monkeys and Black Hawk Down on Blu-ray will not play on the BD-P1590. These are "simple" discs without too much more than menus but the player displays "Unable to play disc" or something similar with a yellow and black caution sign. Also, this notice is displayed right away without a delay at all. They both play fine on my Sony BDP-S360.

As I've mentioned before, Blu-ray discs like: T2 Skynet Edition, AVP Requiem, Watchmen and Race to Witch Mountain all have A/V issues of some sort. I also recently played the Aliens DVD from the Quadrilogy box set and it too had A/V glitches in parts (also a multi-branching disc but not Blu-ray of course).
post #56 of 720 Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_dog View Post

Does anyone use the Pandora feature?

I do and I love it.

My only nitpick is that I wish the album art was bigger.
post #57 of 720 Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:

The latest releases of 12 Monkeys and Black Hawk Down on Blu-ray will not play on the BD-P1590. These are "simple" discs without too much more than menus but the player displays "Unable to play disc" or something similar with a yellow and black caution sign. Also, this notice is displayed right away without a delay at all. They both play fine on my Sony BDP-S360.

As I've mentioned before, Blu-ray discs like: T2 Skynet Edition, AVP Requiem, Watchmen and Race to Witch Mountain all have A/V issues of some sort. I also recently played the Aliens DVD from the Quadrilogy box set and it too had A/V glitches in parts (also a multi-branching disc but not Blu-ray of course).

I hope for another update. I've had issues with several discs, and several DVD's pixelate from time to time, and it's not disc scratches or fingerprints. I love the price of the player I got on ebay, but I hope to soon have less issues. Oh well, new player, I suppose.
post #58 of 720 Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Simpson View Post

I hope for another update. I've had issues with several discs, and several DVD's pixelate from time to time, and it's not disc scratches or fingerprints. I love the price of the player I got on ebay, but I hope to soon have less issues. Oh well, new player, I suppose.

Pixelation is what I experienced on the Aliens DVD the most in some spots.
post #59 of 720 Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Pixelation is what I experienced on the Aliens DVD the most in some spots.

Sorry to hear you are having some problems, but on the other hand, I'm kinda glad to know it's not just me.
post #60 of 720 Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 AM

If you are having loading issues with your discs, return the player. Those issues will not be fixed by firmware updates.

My first BP1600 had trouble loading discs. It was replaced and the new one has never failed to load a single title.

It is a known problem with all of the Samsung Blu ray models that the the quality control suffers. If you lose the crap shoot and get a bad player, either return the player to the dealer for an exchange, or if you can't, return it to Samsung for repair. If you are returning it to Samsung, include a disc that isn't loading. Loading issues are commonly reported with these players. It could be that there is a slight alignment probem with the lasers so that marginal discs have problems loading. In extreme cases like my first player, after owning the player for 3 weeks, no discs would load.

BTW, the DVD upscaling on the current crop of Samsung Blu ray players is less than great. Pixillation issues are commonly reported with DVD. This was the only issue CNET testing had with the the BP-1600 (essentially the same player as the BP-1590) and the BP-3600. (Fortunately, Bluray performance is great with no pixillation problems) The DVD performance of my BP-1600 bothered me so much that I purchased a separate upscaling DVD player, the Samsung DVD-1080p9. There is a night and day improvement with this dedicated DVD player over the Samsung Bluray's DVD performance. The nice thing is this DVD player only costs about $68. It was well worth it to me.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page