samsung BD-P1590 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 720 Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just e-mailed Samsung support. I received Starship Troopers 3 (Sony) Blu via Netflix. (My wife is out of town, and I wanted a hedonistic movie to fill my time.)

Put in the disk, TV (Sylvania LC420SS8) went to "no signal" mode immediately, front of 1590 read 0000 and froze. Only working function: power.

I unplugged the HDMI, fed video via Y-Pb-Pr, and watched the movie in 1080i. Hangs every time with HDMI connected.

Starship Troopers I (Sony) Blu plays just fine, so it can't be because the movie is content is lousy. Other Blu disks play too.

Anyone else out there brain damaged enough to try this movie? I think other players are having trouble too. Why did they DRM this bad of a movie so much?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 720 Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 AM

Similar to a problem I had with "Armored". I eventually changed my audio options and it played. Not sure that there was an actual connection between the problem and my "fix".

Your post suggests to me that the unit may be trying to protect us from bad movie experiences. After the struggle, I wasn't real impressed with the movie.
post #633 of 720 Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okvol View Post

I just e-mailed Samsung support. I received Starship Troopers 3 (Sony) Blu via Netflix. (My wife is out of town, and I wanted a hedonistic movie to fill my time.)

Put in the disk, TV (Sylvania LC420SS8) went to "no signal" mode immediately, front of 1590 read 0000 and froze. Only working function: power.

I unplugged the HDMI, fed video via Y-Pb-Pr, and watched the movie in 1080i. Hangs every time with HDMI connected.

Starship Troopers I (Sony) Blu plays just fine, so it can't be because the movie is content is lousy. Other Blu disks play too.

Anyone else out there brain damaged enough to try this movie? I think other players are having trouble too. Why did they DRM this bad of a movie so much?!?

This may be the solution: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17091073. My 1590 is and always has been connected via HDMI. I had the same symptoms with the first Iron Man BD. I ended up going into the menu and selecting "PROHIBIT" for BD-Live and then I was able to play the disc without issues. Worth a try.
post #634 of 720 Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 PM

Just tried with BD Live set to prohibit - and it's alive! Just a brief pause, and the pre-movie just started playing. Thanks for the hint.

But, folks, this event has pushed me over the edge. I'm fed up with playing these games trying to get a movie of which I have legal possession, a legally owned player that is advertised as being able to play said disk, and a TV that is advertised to display what the player can produce. Help me spread the word.

Today, I filed an FTC complaint against Sony. They put the DRM on the disk that was incompatible with my player with it's default settings. I don't think we have to put up with this crap. This is a nice board and all, but - we have a right to expect performance. This is the 21st century. It should be easy. But even if you play by the rules, you have to search forums like this to find tricks to make it work.

Please contact the FTC with your story. The more filed, the more likely that we can get action.

Here is the text of what I filed:

Sony keeps changing DRM on their Blu-Ray disks that result in me not being able to watch a movie (Starship Troopers 3) received from Netflix on my Samsung player with a Sylvania TV. I just updated the firmware on my player last month, so it is current. My player instantly locked up when loading this disk and using HDMI for connection to the TV. When I disconnect the HDMI, I could use the component Y-Pb-Pr connection to watch in 1080I, which is less quality than what I am paying for. The DRM improvements are supposed to keep the movies from being copied. This fails, as evidenced when I searched the Internet for the movie title and DRM, I found several downloads for the movie. Their DRM efforts just prevent me, the legal consumer, from enjoying their product.
post #635 of 720 Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yeah, a similar thing happened to me the other day. The wife was not impressed with bd-live, should it be bd-death? I will turn it off.

Granted, the content was bad, so maybe it was trying to protect us?
post #636 of 720 Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okvol View Post

Just tried with BD Live set to prohibit - and it's alive! Just a brief pause, and the pre-movie just started playing. Thanks for the hint.

But, folks, this event has pushed me over the edge. I'm fed up with playing these games trying to get a movie of which I have legal possession, a legally owned player that is advertised as being able to play said disk, and a TV that is advertised to display what the player can produce. Help me spread the word.

Today, I filed an FTC complaint against Sony. They put the DRM on the disk that was incompatible with my player with it's default settings. I don't think we have to put up with this crap. This is a nice board and all, but - we have a right to expect performance. This is the 21st century. It should be easy. But even if you play by the rules, you have to search forums like this to find tricks to make it work.

Please contact the FTC with your story. The more filed, the more likely that we can get action.

Here is the text of what I filed:

Sony keeps changing DRM on their Blu-Ray disks that result in me not being able to watch a movie (Starship Troopers 3) received from Netflix on my Samsung player with a Sylvania TV. I just updated the firmware on my player last month, so it is current. My player instantly locked up when loading this disk and using HDMI for connection to the TV. When I disconnect the HDMI, I could use the component Y-Pb-Pr connection to watch in 1080I, which is less quality than what I am paying for. The DRM improvements are supposed to keep the movies from being copied. This fails, as evidenced when I searched the Internet for the movie title and DRM, I found several downloads for the movie. Their DRM efforts just prevent me, the legal consumer, from enjoying their product.

Glad it worked. As for trying to get the FTC (or any other government agency for that matter) to step up and do something about BD issues, I admire your gumption but I suspect your peeing into the wind. JMO
post #637 of 720 Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 AM

I'm also very curious about this...any info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstem View Post

There wouldn't be any mention there since it didn't exist initially as a feature. As I mentioned, it was added with firmware update 2.02, the details of which are easily viewable by clicking on the description link for the current (2.09) firmware on the unit's support page (not the product page). On the Downloads tab there's a link that says Firmware (or just see the screenshot below). Googling the issue brings up other forums and mentions of it, so I'm not making it up (CNET even had a news blurb about it last year).

So, I ask again. Anyone with any experience with this I thank in advance.

post #638 of 720 Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM

I had an odd glitch with Wizard of Oz. Popped in the disc (no receiver, just a v37xl vizio) and no audio at all. I can't remember what I did but after powering down and up, audio played again.
post #639 of 720 Old 07-24-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

My Player turns on and opens, but seemingly nothing else. It knows that there is a firmware update, but the remote isn't sending the enter to accept it.

I am one back on the current firmware. I'd like to get the new firmware and see if it fixes the problem.
post #640 of 720 Old 07-24-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

My Player turns on and opens, but seemingly nothing else. It knows that there is a firmware update, but the remote isn't sending the enter to accept it.

I am one back on the current firmware. I'd like to get the new firmware and see if it fixes the problem.

I'm such a dumbass, after I wrote that I thought back to numerous postings for many bd players that were fixed by a simple hard reboot, meaning unplugging the system for a few seconds. All is well...
post #641 of 720 Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone know where I can get older FW versions. I just bought a refurb and would like an early, pre-cinavia activated FW for playing my blu-ray backups. TIA.

John
post #642 of 720 Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM

I did a search of this forum for why the 1590 won't play burned dvds. No comments. am I in the right forum? If so, doesn't any one else have this problem? How can you correct it.
post #643 of 720 Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotj View Post

I did a search of this forum for why the 1590 won't play burned dvds. No comments. am I in the right forum? If so, doesn't any one else have this problem? How can you correct it.

The 1590 will play burned DVD's. I recently watched Hook, Short Circuit and Short Circuit 2 with my family. The DVD's were burned from an .iso image to DVD-R media. Played fine and looked pretty darn good on my Vizio 551 for being older movies.

Here is some text taken from the 1590 owners manual:

( looks like DVD-R media is the only supported type )

Player Features

Supports a Variety of Disc Types

Blu-ray (BD-ROM, BD-RE, BD-R), DVD Video, DVD-RW/-R (V mode and fi nalized only) discs and Audio CD.

CD-RW/CD-R, DVD-RW/-R and USB memory flash stick content such as MP3 and JPEG files.

Manual here : http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...-BM%5B1%5D.pdf
post #644 of 720 Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Is there anyone out there that has the trick up their sleeve to switch between XAX and XAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsaf8 View Post

I am thinking I get what you did, but I cannot seem to get it to correctly work with what I have.

My player came with 2.05 XAA

I upgraded to 2.07 XAX and now I have DivX and only YouTube with no Netflix et. al.

I tried switching to 2.08 XAA to toggle between having DivX and having Netflix, but it is not working.

Not that I care too much, but this player doesn't appear to support SVCD.

Can I rollback or somehow switch back to XAA?

post #645 of 720 Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitars911 View Post

The 1590 will play burned DVD's. I recently watched Hook, Short Circuit and Short Circuit 2 with my family. The DVD's were burned from an .iso image to DVD-R media. Played fine and looked pretty darn good on my Vizio 551 for being older movies.

Here is some text taken from the 1590 owners manual:

( looks like DVD-R media is the only supported type )

Player Features

Supports a Variety of Disc Types

Blu-ray (BD-ROM, BD-RE, BD-R), DVD Video, DVD-RW/-R (V mode and fi nalized only) discs and Audio CD.

CD-RW/CD-R, DVD-RW/-R and USB memory flash stick content such as MP3 and JPEG files.

Manual here : http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...-BM%5B1%5D.pdf

I have also successfully played DVD+Rs (also Dual Layer) and AVCHD burned to DVD+R (and dual layer)
post #646 of 720 Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthiess View Post

I have also successfully played DVD+Rs (also Dual Layer)

So have I. I do have my burner set up to burn +R and -R discs as "DVD-ROM" though, which I understood to be very universal/compatible.
post #647 of 720 Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
From what I've read, it sounds like there's a firmware version (non-US ??) that allows this unit to play AVI (DivX and Xvid). Is that correct ? By using it, we lose what ? Netflix or YouTube, etc, etc ?
post #648 of 720 Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 AM

For your info, it appears that Samsung has pulled the 2.09 firmware issued in June from the support website and replaced it with the older 2.08 firmware from March timeframe. No explanations. My guess is too many people had issues with the 2.09 firmware. Also word is the Japanese website lists 2.10 as the latest firmware version.
post #649 of 720 Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I've installed and used (without problems except as noted) the following firmware versions in the order listed on my 1590C.
2.02 (Pandora locked up after 5 or 6 tunes)
post #650 of 720 Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 AM

I went in last night to play a DVD+R DL AVCHD disc, and it spit it out like bad soup. All of them. So one of these updates in the last 6 months broke it's ability to play these discs. I had a DVD-R AVCHD disc that still plays fine. But they all used to play!
post #651 of 720 Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM

I have had no problems with my Blu-ray/netflix! It has played perfectly from day one! See lots of complaints from people who probably have "minimum" internet service! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! If you want the FASTEST internet, get the business package! If your paying under $75 a month for internet, its going to be slower.
Wally world put the Blue ray players on sale for $100! Verizon wireless has WIFI wireless routers for $9.99 delivered, FREE OVER NIGHT SHIPPING! Make sure to buy 2 because its a promo! You can connect 2 together for a larger wireless network. Its always good to have a back up! I have tested all the belkin routers ($100) and they are JUNK!!!! Reset several times a day! This verizon router has worked PERFECTLY!
Also if you need a LONGER ethernet cord, cut it dead centered and use speaker wire to extend (4 wires are only used, some have 6). I have tried short and long, no diffrence in quality. This comes in really handy if you want to run the wire under your house.
Before you run out and buy a blu-ray player, check out the new TV's out now. Most have netflix built in now.
post #652 of 720 Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Oh forgot to mention, IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT! Updates can brick your player! Netflix is all I care about and it works! Why mess up a good thing? I have read a lot of comments of people whos player started acting up or crashing after updates. Setup can not be interrupted. If your internet cuts out, dont update(unless your already having problems).
post #653 of 720 Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 AM

Strange phenomenon. I just realized I've been running this player on my vizio vx37l at 1080p; the set is a 1080i tv and as far as I can tell there's not been any issues. Well I bought an onkyo tx-sr608 receiver and until I get my speakers installed, the receiver is serving as a $400 HDMI switcher. Well I noticed some HDMI handshaking issues trying to watch Gladiator and wasn't sure if it was a handshake or 1080p/1080i issue. So I changed my player to output just 1080i. suddenly I saw lots of green artifacts, even on the main menu. Switching back to 1080p fixed the problem, and this is just... strange. The TV isn't supposed to be able to handle a 1080p signal AFAIK.
post #654 of 720 Old 08-22-2010, 04:29 AM

I'm having the same issue. Switched to XAX to watch DIVX files but would like to use Netflix.

Has anyone successfully switched back from Brazilian Firmware back to US Firmware lately?

(I've never tried til now and my player downloaded the most recent Brazilian firmware when I finally got it online (I'm guessing that was a big mistake.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsaf8 View Post

Is there anyone out there that has the trick up their sleeve to switch between XAX and XAA?

post #655 of 720 Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
ANYONE else seen this deal @ their local Wally World?

so I bought one, NiB, $80.25 out the door...

primarily interested in the Blu-ray Disc function, so won't do firmware until I have to...

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #656 of 720 Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

WoW Pandora and YouTube are awesome!!!

Changed my mind and did a firmware update and set up Pandora; YouTube doesn't have to be set up and both are FREE.

Also streams NetFlix and Blockbuster!!!

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #657 of 720 Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Firmware Version 2.12 is out for BD-P1590, BD-P1590-C and BD-P1600

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #658 of 720 Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh? Samsung website only shows 2.08 as of 1325 PDT.
post #659 of 720 Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

fired up my BD-P1590 without a disc and it asked me if I wanted to update from 2.08 to 2.12

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #660 of 720 Old 08-28-2010, 09:18 PM

I have 2.12 on my 1590 which I upgraded via USB from Samsung's website. I can't play Avatar. Samsung is no help to me. I've reset the player, unplugged it, tried the fast forward and reverse buttons, but I can't get past the red, "you need to update" screen. Any ideas?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page