samsung BD-P1590 - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 720 Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, I tried with the BD live off and still nothing. I'm going to try the FF reset and plug in my external hdd just to see if that'll make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 720 Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Absolutely no results. I'm going to have to wait til after Christmas to exchange the disks for new ones. This is such a disappointment. I prefer watching everything here at home since it's a bigger/better TV than the one I have on base.
post #693 of 720 Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM

Another BD-P1590 post. Christmas day (2010) I load up the kids new blu-ray disk. Get a notification for a player update. Upload goes as it does... and it bricks. CLOSE, OPEN or LOAD displays and no other options or on-screen menu functions. There may be a Santa Claus but he doesn't work at Samsung.

Seriously, I tried the various suggestions here and elsewhere. Nothing. The Samsung site was of no help.

But the part that just enrages me is this. Since it is out of warranty the Samsung site quoted me a price for service at some third party place at $160.00. Their update bricks it and it'll cost $160 to fix.

No more Samsung for me.
post #694 of 720 Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Ok, am I losing my mind here? I was told by someone that a recent firmware update allows searching and browsing of all of netflix instant... my player even though up to date has only ever allowed browsing my own instant queue.
post #695 of 720 Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post

Ok, am I losing my mind here? I was told by someone that a recent firmware update allows searching and browsing of all of netflix instant... my player even though up to date has only ever allowed browsing my own instant queue.

As far as I know only 3 devices allow this at this time, they are the Xbox 360, PS3 and the Roku box. My LG and my Insignia players have a much better interface then my 1590 but still doesn't allow searching from within it. It gives you a list of new releases, recommendations, etc.
post #696 of 720 Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone has used Netflix on a 360, for example, then went back to the 1590/1600, it's sooo disappointing... I presume it's a HP issue.
post #697 of 720 Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

As far as I know only 3 devices allow this at this time, they are the Xbox 360, PS3 and the Roku box.

The 2nd generation AppleTV allows for searching/browsing of Netflix Instant as well.
post #698 of 720 Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post

That's on current (5500 and up) Samsungs.
post #699 of 720 Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

As far as I know only 3 devices allow this at this time, they are the Xbox 360, PS3 and the Roku box. My LG and my Insignia players have a much better interface then my 1590 but still doesn't allow searching from within it. It gives you a list of new releases, recommendations, etc.

Don't know which Insignia model you have but my NS-BRDVD3 allows me to see and select from a variety of categories containing hundreds of Instant Watch movies that aren't in my queue. Wish my 1590 had the same capability.
post #700 of 720 Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Don't know which Insignia model you have but my NS-BRDVD3 allows me to see and select from a variety of categories containing hundreds of Instant Watch movies that aren't in my queue. Wish my 1590 had the same capability.

I have the BRDVD3, and an LG BD550 but neither allow searching, the new interfaces for the Xbox, PS3, Roku and someone else said the new Apple Tv have a true Netflix search function. You type in the first letter of the movie name and it starts listing all movies with beginning with that letter. As you continue to type in letters it narrows down the results. From there you can add the movie to your instant que if it is available for instant viewing or to your DVD que.
post #701 of 720 Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

You are correct - I can't search, only browse and select from lists.
post #702 of 720 Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Anyone having issues with audio sync? For some reason it is worse on animated movies (i.e. Pixar--Toy Story etc). It is really maddening. Occasionally there will be a stutter in the audio and it will be off by a second or more. Pressing pause then play gets it back in sync, but it is really annoying to have to pause the movie every few minutes to get the audio back in sync.

If it would be consistently off by the same small margin, I could correct it in my AVR, but being intermittent and off by such a relatively large time period, I can't.
post #703 of 720 Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Have a Samsung BP 1590 connected to a trendnet bridge mode. Am able to stream Yahoo and Pandora with no problems. Netflix was working great and suddenly stopped. Am able to stream Netflix computors and through the Wii however. Called Samsung and Netflix, no help. have disabled the account, reset multiple times. Recycled and re-set entire network many times...no help either. When I go to stream from netflix on the blue ray, the red Netflix screen appears, then it goes to "retrieve instant que" but is never able to make the connection. Ideas?
post #704 of 720 Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Don't have any ideas about your Netflix issue, mine still works fine. Since Pandora still works, it's obviously not a connection issue.

Speaking of Pandora though, has anyone else noticed that after the last firmware update the audio quality of Pandora streaming went to crap? Almost unlistenable, very disappointing.
post #705 of 720 Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 PM

The player wouldn't even acknowledge the disc. So I upgraded the firmware. Now it tells me I have the latest. It does recognize the disc and we played roughly 1/3 of the movie with an occasional glitch (video and/or sound). Then it started hiccuping, skipping and locking up. So I have a "blu-ray" player and a "blu-ray" movie - and it's worthless because it won't play the movie.... Really frustrated with Samsung and Sony for that matter. Seems like those that actually buy movies are worse off than the pirates....
post #706 of 720 Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM

As of a month ago, I started to experience problems with my Samsung BD-P1590 but due to things I have tested I'm unsure if it is a problem with the player itself. My setup consists of an Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector connected via a 50' HDMI cable with 2 3' HDMI cables in between due to the HDMI ceiling and wall outlets to a Yamaha RX-V465 A/V Receiver. Connected to my receiver are a cable box, samsung BD-P1590 and XBOX all connected via HDMI. Now the cable box and xbox display audio and video fine, but the blu-ray player is no longer displaying video and I have tested different inputs to ensure it wasn't that port on the receiver. My final test was to connect the BDP to the projector directly and it works as expected. So does this mean that there is something bad in my HDMI cable but if so, why doesn't it affect my cable box or xbox? Thanks for any help.
post #707 of 720 Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM

Liked: 11
Hey, recently started having problems with my player, it will stutter a lot, which can be often fixed by ejecting the disc and then playing again.

Also, when there is no disc in, now the player says it cannot play the (non-existant) disc and ejects the tray. While the tray is ejected, Netflix cannot be accessed. While there is a disc in, Netflix cannot be accessed. I've pretty much lost all network features of this device now.
post #708 of 720 Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM

I am having trouble with my player. It seems that after upgrading the firmware I can no longer play BD's. It plays DVD's just fine. Youtube and Pandora are working. Online chat with Samsung consisted of press reset, check firmware, schedule a service call for $160.00 before they even look at it. Here is my question:

Does the same optical (if that is the right term) read DVD, BD and CD?

If so, why would everything but BD work?

The drive "chatters" while searching/loading goes on and then message This disk can not be played.

Tried it with a BD disk I know worked before the upgrade and one I just purchased.

And finally, can you reverse the firmware to the factory setting?

Thank you for any insights.
post #709 of 720 Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 PM

I have a Samsung BD-P1590 Blu-Ray player, purchased new last year but never really concerned myself with Netflix because it wasn't available in Canada at the time.

Now that it is available, I've read here that everyone that seems to have this Blu-Ray player HAS Netflix on it.

I've done all firmware updates and while mine comes with Youtube, it does NOT have Netflix. Is there anyway to get Netflix on it (short of buying a new blu-ray player)?

Thanks in advance.
post #710 of 720 Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razal View Post

I've done all firmware updates and while mine comes with Youtube, it does NOT have Netflix. Is there anyway to get Netflix on it (short of buying a new blu-ray player)?

Well, as I usually use iFunia Free YouTube downloader to download the YouTube videos for offline watching, I don't know this case exactly.
but why you let the netflix come to the YouTube? can't you use the YouTube app directly?

Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
post #711 of 720 Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet11 View Post

Well, as I usually use iFunia Free YouTube downloader to download the YouTube videos for offline watching, I don't know this case exactly.
but why you let the netflix come to the YouTube? can't you use the YouTube app directly?

Not sure I understand. Are you saying I can use YouTube to stream Netflix Movies? I assumed there should be a separate "netflix" icon I go through to access a netflix account, no?
post #712 of 720 Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razal View Post

I have a Samsung BD-P1590 Blu-Ray player, purchased new last year but never really concerned myself with Netflix because it wasn't available in Canada at the time.

Now that it is available, I've read here that everyone that seems to have this Blu-Ray player HAS Netflix on it.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone???
post #713 of 720 Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

razal: Where are you downloading firmware updates from ? Does Samsung have a Canadian site ? If so, try getting the firmware from their US site.
post #714 of 720 Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

razal: Where are you downloading firmware updates from ? Does Samsung have a Canadian site ? If so, try getting the firmware from their US site.

I've done two kinds of firmware update.

One was from the website where I downloaded on USB drive and plugged it into my BD Player, but the most recent was via ethernet connection, so I don't know where the firmware update is coming from.

I just don't understand why my model doesn't come with Netflix when seemingly everyone elses does.
post #715 of 720 Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM

Okay, so I finally called Samsung Canada and found out that BD-P 1590 models sold in Canada were sold without Netflix and there is NO updgrade to include Netflix. Long story short, I'm sh*t out of luck.

I've decided I'm going to get rid of this player (because I think it is a piece of crap - no offense intended to other owners of it, I'm just really fed up with it), but until I get rid of it, does anyone have any ideas for why I can't seem to play more "dense" Blu-Ray titles with the movie "stuttering, skipping and freezing" (sorry not sure what the proper terms would be).

Here is what has been going on... bought Avatar... tried it and the movie kept stalling and skipping scenes and the chapter indicator kept popping up for the same chapter.

I thought the disc was defective. First, I tried cleaning it and when that wouldn't work, I returned it for a new disc. Popped the new Avatar blu-ray in and the same problem again. I put in the Avatar DVD and I had no problems.

Today, I put in "Beauty and the Beast" for my kids (the three disc set also comes with a DVD). Put in the Blu-Ray and it was skipping just like Avatar.

Put in the DVD and we had a few tiny skips, but by in large, no problem.

As I said before, I've done ALL firmware updates.

Any thoughts?
post #716 of 720 Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Since I did the most recent firmware upgrade I can NO LONGER play ANY Blu-Ray discs.

My 1590 has effectively become a DVD player only. I really pissed with Samsung with the lack of support as well. I've called them a few times and I've got ZERO answers.
post #717 of 720 Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Since I did the most recent firmware upgrade I can NO LONGER play ANY Blu-Ray discs.
I work in the technology field and i can say that this happens to all of samsungs poducts. lack of QA before the product hits the stores and crappy support after samsung breaks their own product with a firmware upgrade.
From cell phones to bluray players to washer and dryers.
I have 3 samsung tv's 2 bluray players and 2 pc monitors.
I have friends and relatives with other samsung products , cameras, video recorders etc. same results.
I have learned my lesson and will no longer purchase samsung.
post #718 of 720 Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeg007 View Post

I work in the technology field and i can say that this happens to all of samsungs poducts. lack of QA before the product hits the stores and crappy support after samsung breaks their own product with a firmware upgrade.
From cell phones to bluray players to washer and dryers.
I have 3 samsung tv's 2 bluray players and 2 pc monitors.
I have friends and relatives with other samsung products , cameras, video recorders etc. same results.
I have learned my lesson and will no longer purchase samsung.

Well I've had nothing but great luck. Several cell phones, this blu-ray player, and a washing machine. Never had an ounce of bad luck. However I would certainly be upset if I had the same experiences as you.
post #719 of 720 Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Phlumo View Post

Picked one up from Walmart last night. Upgraded from a 1500 for Netflix.

BD works great. Watched Da Vinchi Code without any issues.
Connected to a Sharp 12k (1080i)/Denon AVR-5805 (bitstream lossless).

Having issues with Netflix though:

1) Connection test passes and it is recognized. (Wired Ethernet)
3) Did setup through webpage. Worked.
2) Videos in queue show (text), but pictures are not loading (grey with question marks).
3) When I want to start a video, stream does not start. After a while it comes back with: This selection is not available live anymore. Makes no sense because I can watch the selection on my PC.

Added a 4GB stick, with no difference at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Feedback from people using Netflix successfully on this device would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

Spend a lot of time on this:

1) Neflix Tech Support (Really friendly and helpful): Turned off firewall, opened ports, ... until we ran out of options. They can see the device but it is still not streaming. It is connecting to pull some data.
2) Samsung Support: No real help: If it is connecting, not our issue.
3) Replaced the Unit at Walmart.

No luck yet. Anyone out there that got Netflix running on this unit?

Pandora works btw.

I had this same problem after finally getting HS internet (April 2012) and getting Netflix streaming. Netflix activated and logged in fine but the queue had no images. Other PC's devices worked fine over same wired/wireless router. I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with DD-WRT firmware. Finding no real fixes on other forums and learning that a router update fixed your problem, I decided to look at my router settings. After messing with the router settings I noticed that under security tab,the filter proxy box was checked. After unchecking this box and rebooting the router, netflix works flawlessly. I hope this helps others, as I spent hours figuring it out. I was close to buying a new player since my 1590 also has audio drop/sync issues when playing DTS and set to audiophile output. But now i can wait for the 2012 models to be reviewed.
post #720 of 720 Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
We don't use our BD-P1590 much (Woot refurb bedroom player), but I was trying to watch Alien (Director's Cut) from the Blu-ray set, and it just sits at the Play menu. (You hit play, it acknowledges, and then comes back.) I updated to the latest firmware over USB, same result.

Anyone seen this problem?

Edit: Just tried the Green Lantern blu-ray. That worked fine. So it's not a general BD problem. No accounting for taste on the Blu-ray player...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page