samsung BD-P1590 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > samsung BD-P1590
Josh Simpson's Avatar Josh Simpson 12:24 PM 08-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

If you are having loading issues with your discs, return the player. Those issues will not be fixed by firmware updates.

My first BP1600 had trouble loading discs. It was replaced and the new one has never failed to load a single title.

It is a known problem with all of the Samsung Blu ray models that the the quality control suffers. If you lose the crap shoot and get a bad player, either return the player to the dealer for an exchange, or if you can't, return it to Samsung for repair. If you are returning it to Samsung, include a disc that isn't loading. Loading issues are commonly reported with these players. It could be that there is a slight alignment probem with the lasers so that marginal discs have problems loading. In extreme cases like my first player, after owning the player for 3 weeks, no discs would load.

BTW, the DVD upscaling on the current crop of Samsung Blu ray players is less than great. Pixillation issues are commonly reported with DVD. This was the only issue CNET testing had with the the BP-1600 (essentially the same player as the BP-1590) and the BP-3600. (Fortunately, Bluray performance is great with no pixillation problems) The DVD performance of my BP-1600 bothered me so much that I purchased a separate upscaling DVD player, the Samsung DVD-1080p9. There is a night and day improvement with this dedicated DVD player over the Samsung Bluray's DVD performance. The nice thing is this DVD player only costs about $68. It was well worth it to me.

Thanks for the input. I have had hardly any problems with blu, but dvds are problematic at times. I had been using my xbox 360 with HDMI for dvd. I will either have to return the blu ray player to the seller on ebay or send it to Samsung. I'll think about this.

Curt31's Avatar Curt31 03:11 PM 08-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearnm View Post

I picked one up about 3 weeks ago and so far I really have no complaints.

My TV is an older Toshiba 46" CRT Projection (H83) set. I am using HDMI and have only seen the audio mismatch once. I have checked it with audio through RCA on the TV and with TosLink through a Yamaha DSP amp. The one time I had it (RCA) I reset the player and it disappeared.

I had been using the NetFlix player on my XBox 360 and the Samsung seems to stream much better. I have had virtually none of the buffering problems that I had with the console. Also, the Samsung has none of the fan noise that makes quiet scenes tough to hear.

I've only played a couple of BD movies but have not thought the load times to be any longer than my Toshiba HD-DVD player was. In fact, some seem quicker.

The SD play is upconverted very nicely. Animated films look great, even TV shows are very crisp.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the purchase. A great price when you add in the convenience (and quiet playback) of NetFlix.

Say how about an update is all still well? Going to buy another Bluray I have a P1500 with no issues but I've only seen a few Bluray disks, the upconverting on this one is stellar. Thinking about an LG though with all the problems I've read about on the 1600. Anyone else have one that's basically trouble free. The video on these things are absolutely addicting!!!

Tom j.
benjamin247's Avatar benjamin247 02:04 PM 08-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

If you are having loading issues with your discs, return the player. Those issues will not be fixed by firmware updates.

My first BP1600 had trouble loading discs. It was replaced and the new one has never failed to load a single title.

It is a known problem with all of the Samsung Blu ray models that the the quality control suffers. If you lose the crap shoot and get a bad player, either return the player to the dealer for an exchange, or if you can't, return it to Samsung for repair. If you are returning it to Samsung, include a disc that isn't loading. Loading issues are commonly reported with these players. It could be that there is a slight alignment probem with the lasers so that marginal discs have problems loading. In extreme cases like my first player, after owning the player for 3 weeks, no discs would load.

What does a loading issue look like? I just bought this player for Costco a month back and tried playing Iron Man Blu-ray disc and just had a blank screen on my TV and 00:00:00 displayed on the player. I tried skipping chapters and accessing the disc menu but still dispayed nothing. The special features disc played though...but I wanna wanna watch Iron Man!

At first I thought it was just a bad reader, so I went back to Costco yesterday and exchanged it for another one. Still the same problem, with the most recent firmware version.

Is this something we just have to accept -- that some players just doesn't read certain movies or is there a player that plays ALL titles?

So far, my 1590C doesn't play the following:
- Iron Man
- The Haunting in Connecticut
- Defiance
- Watchmen (plays, but with skipping)

Netflix and Pandora has been AWESOME though! I have it hard-wired into my router. HD movies come out very clear in Netflix streaming.
benjamin247's Avatar benjamin247 02:38 PM 08-15-2009
I just registered my player on the Samsung site (need to sign up for a samsung account first before registering player). After I logged in, and went into the FAQs, this was the #1 most popular FAQ:

Some Movie Titles or Bonus Features Will Not Play

I have the latest firmware installed (1.03 released late June 2009) and still didn't solve my problem. Posting in case it helps others...
voodoo122's Avatar voodoo122 07:39 PM 08-15-2009
I just happened to pick up one of these earlier in the day and am having all sorts of trouble connecting to my netflix account. I pass internet connectivity, I can listen to my pandora but can't seem to get to netflix.

I have a straight up cable modem right into the device (no router or switch). I pass net detection every time but can't seem to get on.

Called netflix and they thought it may be firmware and sent me to samsung. Samsung referred me to their website. When I got to the website nothing was there. I tried calling back and OOPS!!! They closed 2 minutes ago magically. Smarmy punk just wanted to leave.

Any insight?
longcut's Avatar longcut 11:29 PM 08-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post

Another issue: Netflix only works if I unplug power to box before playing. If I turn off with power switch, next time I power on it says Netflix not available. If I unplug power and plug back in, everything OK until next power off. Anyone else having this issue with latest firmware?

I just bought the Samsung 1590 friday, its the first blue ray I have bought. After i hooked everything up and fired the 1590 up for the first time I got a message to update the firmware. After I updated the firmware i went in and set up my netflix account and it worked great.

After i turned off the unit and came back later i was getting the same problem as xenophonite. I though well my network went down and I check it with my laptop. My network was still working just fine. I tried again and got the error message that netflix service was down. I then went into the network setting and did a test and it connected fine. I thought well something maybee hung up and I unpluged it. After I powered it back on and went to netflix it worked. I back out of netflix and wached my first blue ray move and I was blown away on my 48" sony Lcd.

I then went back to the netflix player and I got the same error message. I unpluged the unit again and it worked just fine. Well, anytime I want to watch a netflix movie I have to unplug the unit.

I have always been a big supporter of Sony equipment but thats my opinion. I went out on a limb and bought this samsung for the netflix player, wirless (misleading) and it doesnt work right. I was going to take it back and get another unit thinking it might be my unit having a problem, but I see xenophonite is having the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas why the 1590 is doing this? If not wally world will take anything back.
Brokk's Avatar Brokk 10:32 AM 08-17-2009
Today the price for the 1590 dropped from 229 to 199 at Costco, and a coupon started today for an additional $30 off the 199. So you can pick one of these up for 169 in the store.

I just brought mine home, upgraded the firmware and activated the netflix. It's working great. I'll be trying out the watchmen blue ray DVD later. I'm nervous after reading that it skips for another poster here.

I can't wait to try the upconverting as well.

Brokk...
bt12483's Avatar bt12483 07:38 AM 08-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokk View Post

Today the price for the 1590 dropped from 229 to 199 at Costco, and a coupon started today for an additional $30 off the 199. So you can pick one of these up for 169 in the store.

I just brought mine home, upgraded the firmware and activated the netflix. It's working great. I'll be trying out the watchmen blue ray DVD later. I'm nervous after reading that it skips for another poster here.

I can't wait to try the upconverting as well.

Brokk...

Is the coupon in-store?

Like on those in-store flyers they have?
thecowboy47's Avatar thecowboy47 09:43 AM 08-18-2009
Just purchased BD-P1590 from Sam's Club ($219.99) and HDMI output was dead. Component video worked and so did Pandora and Netflix. Returned unit and got another one: Same problem. Called Samsung support and they escalated through 2 levels beofre agreeing that there is an engineering problem with this unit. I even downloaded the updated firmware but no help. Unit works fine with component video but I need HDMI so the 2nd one is going back as well. Maybe I'll try a 3rd but haven't decided yet.
wtwieder's Avatar wtwieder 12:04 PM 08-18-2009
I would check the integrity of your HDMI cable. It isn't likely that 2 units are suffering this problem unless they were from a defective batch. It isn't an engineering problem since other 1590 owners aren't having a problem.
Brokk's Avatar Brokk 04:40 PM 08-18-2009
Most times the coupons are available in-store. I saw an employee flipping through the book at the exit point. I didn't personally look for them, as my book had been mailed to me.

The HDMI cable issue should also be a moot point, as the unit comes with an HDMI cable. Assuming you are using that, you would have tried two units with two different cables. Mine worked fine BTW.

So after a single night and day of usage, I have a mixture of elation and disappointment. The hookup went fine, although there is some level of odd connection via the HDMI cable between the TV and the 1590. When you turn on the TV, if you are set to the HDMI that connects to the player it automatically goes on. Same with shutting off the TV shuts off the player. Annoying when you are doing an hour long download and you don't want to waste the energy and burnout leaving your TV on for the whole hour doing nothing. I shut off the TV and my download was cancelled since the unit turned off as well. However, I get ahead of myself.

Picture was great. Amazing. Turned my high def TV to life. The play for Watchmen was smooth and delicious. However I too suffered an odd skipping issue. At certain chapter switched my movie was hurled back to an earlier chapter. It always happened with a pause in the movie before the skip back. It happened a total of 4 times.

Other annoyances. If you shut off the unit (as when turning off the TV) you lose your place in the movie. Next time you turn it on, it all starts from scratch. Also, a certain loading points (such as loading BD live) it sounds like a bad CD player from an old computer. It hums and whirs quite loud, like it prepping for a space launch. Also as noted previously, the remote usage it sometimes challenging, as it doesn't noticably respond when you push a button. So you push it again, and again, and again. However it typically took the first time, you just had to wait 5-10 seconds to see something happen on the screen.

Overall I'm finding the menus and buttons confusion. I'm assuming it's the new standard for the blu-ray format, so I'm trying not to let that influence me yet. I'm still ramping up my learning curve.

Load times are good, also as seen by others.

BD-live is disappointing. I went to the WB site. Slow and not much there. It hung on me eventually and I just shut it off.

Netflix rocks. I'm loading up my instant queue.

Brokk...
swctcouple's Avatar swctcouple 07:58 AM 08-19-2009
I also purchased the unit from Costco for $169 the other day. I'm noticing however a lip sync problem with the audio. I see some other people are experiencing it as well. I have the audio connected to my receiver via an optical cable and the video going into my TV via an HDMI cable that has a DVI adapter since my TV doesn't have an HDMI input. Is there a setting I can change somewhere to fix the audio problem?
benjamin247's Avatar benjamin247 07:05 PM 08-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo122 View Post

I just happened to pick up one of these earlier in the day and am having all sorts of trouble connecting to my netflix account. I pass internet connectivity, I can listen to my pandora but can't seem to get to netflix.

I have a straight up cable modem right into the device (no router or switch). I pass net detection every time but can't seem to get on.

Called netflix and they thought it may be firmware and sent me to samsung. Samsung referred me to their website. When I got to the website nothing was there. I tried calling back and OOPS!!! They closed 2 minutes ago magically. Smarmy punk just wanted to leave.

Any insight?

This was happening for me too, but found that my Date and Time settings weren't set. Once I set that, Netflix was working just fine. Kinda makes sense to me now, since my netflix account is a monthly subscription which depends on the date. Hope this helps.

BTW, I might just have to return my 1590 back to costco just to buy it at a discount. Call me cheap, but it gets me a couple free blu-rays
Brokk's Avatar Brokk 06:04 AM 08-20-2009
I must be new to HDMI. I'm used to the old fashioned days, where you had one (or more) cables for video and different cables for sound. I was thrown off when I first started watching my blu ray, because I was getting this odd "echo" in the sound. I only had an HDMI to the TV, but it turns out the TV was giving me audio at the same time my stereo was. The HDMI apparent was sending a sound signal to the TV as well as the video (and some other information as well). So I just turned down the TV sound and the echo went away.

Brokk...
NO1B4ME's Avatar NO1B4ME 09:40 AM 08-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokk View Post

I must be new to HDMI. I'm used to the old fashioned days, where you had one (or more) cables for video and different cables for sound. I was thrown off when I first started watching my blu ray, because I was getting this odd "echo" in the sound. I only had an HDMI to the TV, but it turns out the TV was giving me audio at the same time my stereo was. The HDMI apparent was sending a sound signal to the TV as well as the video (and some other information as well). So I just turned down the TV sound and the echo went away.

Brokk...

LOL, I have done that before. So is your player working better now.
msgbrownell's Avatar msgbrownell 05:27 PM 08-20-2009
For the ones who purchased at Costco, is the DVD player a 1590 or 1590C? Is there a major difference between these models? The reason I asked because the box says a 1590, but my receipt says 1590C. Also can anyone give advice on where to purchase the wireless adapter for the best price?

Thanks,

MSG B
Shed's Avatar Shed 09:05 PM 08-20-2009
MSG B,

Costco sells the P1590C, which includes an HDMI 1.3 cable. Wal-Mart sells the P1590, which does not include the cable at a higher price. Per Samsung support, these are identical units, except that the Costco model includes the cable. Sorry, but I can't help on the adapter question.

Shed
Shed's Avatar Shed 09:18 PM 08-20-2009
For the record, I purchased the BD-P1590C at Costco earlier this week. So far I have not had any lip sync, networking or Blu-Ray disk-read issues. I have the 1590 connected to an Onkyo SR876 via HDMI, and it is feeding a Pioneer 50” plasma TV. My network connection is to a 5-port Gig-E switch that is connected to a Gig-E router.

I only have four Blu-Ray disks to test, but they all play OK. I do not have any of the Blu-Rays that have been specifically identified as problematic in this thread. I was an HD DVD adopter, and I still use my Toshiba HD-A2, mostly for playback of standard definition DVDs.

All in all, the 1590 seems to be a solid unit at a value price point. The features offered on the 1590 (especially Netflix streaming, Pandora and the ability to Bitstream Master Audio) are significant improvements over the Toshiba HD-A2, which I thought was an impressive player at $159 ($99 after rebate). Of course these were competing technologies, and HD-DVD has been dead for a long time. Who knows where Toshiba might have taken their HD-DVD if it had survived...

Shed
NO1B4ME's Avatar NO1B4ME 07:28 AM 08-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed View Post

For the record, I purchased the BD-P1590C at Costco earlier this week. So far I have not had any lip sync, networking or Blu-Ray disk-read issues. I have the 1590 connected to an Onkyo SR876 via HDMI, and it is feeding a Pioneer 50 plasma TV. My network connection is to a 5-port Gig-E switch that is connected to a Gig-E router.

I only have four Blu-Ray disks to test, but they all play OK. I do not have any of the Blu-Rays that have been specifically identified as problematic in this thread. I was an HD DVD adopter, and I still use my Toshiba HD-A2, mostly for playback of standard definition DVDs.

All in all, the 1590 seems to be a solid unit at a value price point. The features offered on the 1590 (especially Netflix streaming, Pandora and the ability to Bitstream Master Audio) are significant improvements over the Toshiba HD-A2, which I thought was an impressive player at $159 ($99 after rebate). Of course these were competing technologies, and HD-DVD has been dead for a long time. Who knows where Toshiba might have taken their HD-DVD if it had survived...

Shed

I just did the same thing. I own 3 HD-DVD players and am slowly swapping them out. I will check tonight to see If I have any of the issues mentioned here as well.
bkthiess's Avatar bkthiess 07:34 AM 08-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed View Post

For the record, I purchased the BD-P1590C at Costco earlier this week. So far I have not had any lip sync, networking or Blu-Ray disk-read issues.
Shed

I second the opinion above. It seems to be a decent player. Bad news is, I have had it for a week, and don't yet have any Blu-ray discs to try out on it. However, Netflix works great, as does Pandora. Rarely, Netflix will freeze. Restarting the box fixes this. But as I said, it is rare and has only happened once this week out of hours of instant streaming. I have reached HD speeds every time I connect which is through a Zyxel wireless router set as a bridge/client to my main router. So HD speeds on wifi, not bad.

Also, the manual specifically says that this unit will not play DVD+Rs. I have not yet tried to play a DVD video on DVD+R, but here is a twist. It plays DVD+Rs and -Rs with AVCHD on it. In fact I have gotten it to play DVD+R dual layered discs. However, it will only play the AVCHD's on DVD+R if it is muxed with multiavchd and burned with imgburn. No other combination seems to work.

Hope this helps someone! Thanks for the great forum!
arvali's Avatar arvali 07:28 PM 08-22-2009
Hello everyone. I picked up the BD-P1590 from Costco last night. It was a great deal. $200 minus a $30 coupon. On the box it claims to support wireless. Despite my best efforts, I am unable to get the wireless configuration to work. It consistently reports that no access points are found. I have set my laptop on top of the unit and I get 88% signal strength from the 54g router. I took an old D-Link 80211.b access point and configured it as a wireless client. When I connect the unit through this D-Link client, everything works great. I can pull up Netflix just fine with excellent throughput even though it is a class b.

My question is, is wireless supposed to work with this unit, or am I misunderstanding the claim that it supports wireless? I see no option to survey for access points. You can only click on "wireless" as an option and it immediately displays the "no access points" error. Thanks in advance.
Mattwilli76's Avatar Mattwilli76 08:04 PM 08-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvali View Post

My question is, is wireless supposed to work with this unit, or am I misunderstanding the claim that it supports wireless? I see no option to survey for access points. You can only click on "wireless" as an option and it immediately displays the "no access points" error. Thanks in advance.

The bd-p1590c does support WIFI but only with the Samsung usb dongle WIS09ABGNX. The dongle is included with the bd-p3600 and bd-p4600 but not with this unit. Apparently other adapters will not work so you must buy this $80 part to get the wireless to work. I guess if you can get the 1590c for $170 then all in all it will put you back to $250 but for $50 more you can buy the bd-p3600 with included dongle at B&H photo right now.
hasan's Avatar hasan 08:24 PM 08-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvali View Post

Hello everyone. I picked up the BD-P1590 from Costco last night. It was a great deal. $200 minus a $30 coupon. On the box it claims to support wireless. Despite my best efforts, I am unable to get the wireless configuration to work. It consistently reports that no access points are found. I have set my laptop on top of the unit and I get 88% signal strength from the 54g router. I took an old D-Link 80211.b access point and configured it as a wireless client. When I connect the unit through this D-Link client, everything works great. I can pull up Netflix just fine with excellent throughput even though it is a class b.

The player only has an ethernet connection [hardwired], but you can use just about any gaming adapter/bridge like the Linksys wga600n or wet600n.

Very poor wording on the box as far as wireless ready is concerned !

That aside, I love mine. Blurays from Netflix have playrd fine, and streaming from Netflix has been exceptional.

I'm entering this on my pda, so please forgive typos, etc.
arvali's Avatar arvali 11:30 PM 08-22-2009
Thanks for the information, Hasan & Matt. The wording on the packaging is indeed very deceptive. It seems to work just fine with the old DWL-900 so I guess I don't need to spring for the dongle solution. Thank you both again for the clarification.
swestbom's Avatar swestbom 07:16 AM 08-24-2009
Good player, DVDs and Blu-rays are just about perfect to me. Netflix is great ( I have FIOS so that isn't too surprising). Pandora would be good if it used more bandwidth for audio, but it is ok for pop music anyway, sounds like the music came out of a tin box for classical or anything resembling real acoustic music that isn't compressed to death (versus pop mixes that could never be played live and have one level, too loud ).

My only complaints are no zoom and no resume memory on disks when you turn off the player or switch disks. It would be a no brainer for them to add the memory feature to the software.

Other than those issues, mine works flawlessly so far and I really like the audio quality with the new audio formats bitstreamed to my receiver.
Blu-ray Chic's Avatar Blu-ray Chic 11:59 AM 08-24-2009
Hi there. The 1590 and 1590C are identical to each other and to the 1600 with the exception of the flip down door. The "C" signifies Costco model and comes with an HDMI cable.

As for Netflix - If you are unable to connect to Netflix or receive the msg Netflix unavailable, check the date and time settings on the BD Player at Menu > System > Clock. If the date is off by more than 30 days (which is likely if you've never set the date/time or you've reset or unplugged the player) you will not be able to access Netflix content. You can turn NTP (Network Time Protocol) to ON in the Network menu which will automatically set the date and time. The clock may be an hour off due to DST but this will not affect Netflix playback. The next f/w upgrade will ensure NTP is defaulted to ON and will resolve Netflix playback issues.
tornadobox's Avatar tornadobox 02:29 PM 08-24-2009
Hey everyone, just picked up the BD-P1590C at BJ's, for $209 (I believe the 'C' stands for 'Cable' as in, HDMI cable included...and not 'Costco' since I bought mine at BJ's...unless Costco owns BJ's, I don't know).

Does anyone know if there's a way to determine the manufacture date based on the box's bar code? It sounds like people who have purchased one more recently have had fewer/no issues as opposed to those who bought a few months ago.

I was also checking out the CD firmware upgrade options, and it says if this is the first time you've upgraded the firmware, you have to do it twice...have you all done that? Or should I upgrade via network (I'm a little leery of that just in case something goes bad with the connection)?
SiCantwell's Avatar SiCantwell 02:50 PM 08-24-2009
I grabbed one at Costco yesterday for $170. I wouldn't have known about the $30-off coupon if I hadn't been reading this thread, so thanks.
Mine only has "buttons" on the splash page for Netflix and Pandora, but the online manual I found at Samsung Support has a way to stream movies from Blockbuster as well.
Here's a link to a story about that:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Bloc...are/1247587362
I'm hoping a firmware update will bring that option to my new box. I don't want to pay a monthly fee, but I'd probably pay to "rent" streaming movies occasionally.
Watched "Dark Knight" last night without any hitches. I was worried about reports of audio/video synch problems but I saw no evidence of that.
So far, looks like a great purchase to me.
What is the monthly fee from Netflix? Is it $8.99?
bkwells's Avatar bkwells 09:28 PM 08-24-2009
Yes - $8.99/month gets you unlimited DVD's mailed to you 1 at a time and unlimited streaming. If you want Blu-rays, it's an extra $2/month.
SiCantwell's Avatar SiCantwell 08:48 AM 08-25-2009
Thx, bkwells. Would definitely want Blu-rays.
Tags: Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop