samsung BD-P1590 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 720 Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my parents have a Costco membership, I ended up returning the BD-P1590C to BJ's and getting it at Costco for $170.

For those of you that have the BD-P1590C vs. the BD-P1590...do you have any audio or video issues? I noticed somewhere (I think it was the blu-ray.com forums) that someone mentioned having audio issues until they used an HDMI 1.3 cable, then the audio issues went away. I'm curious to see if it's the cable that's the culprit for some people, and if the 1590C users don't have any issues because they're using the cable that came with the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 720 Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Well this is interesting...so I set up the 1590C with a LAN cable and it does not prompt me to update the firmware. I checked the firmware version and it's showing 1.04!

So far I have had ZERO issues with the player, it was an extremely simple plug&play setup...got on Netflix in mere minutes, and watched 1 hour into Transformers on Blu-Ray without any issues whatsoever.

I don't see firmware 1.04 on Samsung's site, but I'd wager it's coming out really soon since my unit came with it pre-installed.
post #93 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCantwell View Post

Mine only has "buttons" on the splash page for Netflix and Pandora, but the online manual I found at Samsung Support has a way to stream movies from Blockbuster as well.
Here's a link to a story about that:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Bloc...are/1247587362
I'm hoping a firmware update will bring that option to my new box.

My BD-P1590C with the 1.04 firmware has Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, and YouTube as options when a disc is not loaded.
post #94 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox View Post

My BD-P1590C with the 1.04 firmware has Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, and YouTube as options when a disc is not loaded.

This is exciting news! With all of these internet options, it clearly puts Samsung ahead of the pack when it comes to having all the streamig bells and whistles. This firmware upgrade, when it becomes available, will be really worthwhile.
post #95 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:

That is VERY cool! I can't wait to get home and update my firmware. I returned my player at costco to re-buy it at the sale price (saved $60) last night. Thanks forum for letting me know! I updated my firmware when I first turned it on at around 7pm (Pacific) and still had 1.03 as the latest version. The upgrade probably happened later on that evening.
post #96 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:

1.04? I'm looking at Samsung's site right now and I see 1.03. Maybe it's coming soon.
post #97 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Simpson View Post

1.04? I'm looking at Samsung's site right now and I see 1.03. Maybe it's coming soon.

Yep, believe me I was just as shocked as you. I'll take some pictures tonight after my kids are in bed and post them for you all to feast on.
post #98 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Yep, believe me I was just as shocked as you. I'll take some pictures tonight after my kids are in bed and post them for you all to feast on.

Sounds good. Haven't had too many glitches, but maybe this will fix 'em.
post #99 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Wha'ts up all, just wanna chime in with my experience with the BD-P1590. I bought this player at Costco about 3 weeks ago. I updated the firmware to 1.03 as soon as I got it to sync with my home network. The player worked flawlessly for 3 days, then it I had the issue where all it shows "snowing" and the screen just flashes. I even tried it with just the composite cables and it did the same thing...

So I exchanged it at Costco the next day and did not perform the update. Now for 3 weeks, the player is working flawlessy without problems. Netflix is working great without any hitches. I'm reluctant to update the player now since I believe the firmware update is what killed the first player I got. Hope to have that new firmware update soon.
post #100 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpinoy View Post

Wha'ts up all, just wanna chime in with my experience with the BD-P1590. I bought this player at Costco about 3 weeks ago. I updated the firmware to 1.03 as soon as I got it to sync with my home network. The player worked flawlessly for 3 days, then it I had the issue where all it shows "snowing" and the screen just flashes. I even tried it with just the composite cables and it did the same thing...

So I exchanged it at Costco the next day and did not perform the update. Now for 3 weeks, the player is working flawlessy without problems. Netflix is working great without any hitches. I'm reluctant to update the player now since I believe the firmware update is what killed the first player I got. Hope to have that new firmware update soon.

I have 3 of these from Costco. I will check and see if I encounter any issues.
post #101 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Here's the firmware information that was pre-loaded onto my BD-P1590C (I blocked out the ESN since I didn't know if that contained any personal info or anything):

And here's the screen I get if there's no disc in the drive:

I have not yet tried out Blockbuster, Pandora, or YouTube.
post #102 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Here's the firmware information that was pre-loaded onto my BD-P1590C (I blocked out the ESN since I didn't know if that contained any personal info or anything):

And here's the screen I get if there's no disc in the drive:

I have not yet tried out Blockbuster, Pandora, or YouTube.

Do you happen to have a copy of Iron Man on Blu Ray? If so can you please play it and let us know. FOr some reason I cannot play it on my player. I can play the disc on my BDP-3600 with no problems.
post #103 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM

I do not have Iron Man, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1B4ME View Post

Do you happen to have a copy of Iron Man on Blu Ray? If so can you please play it and let us know. FOr some reason I cannot play it on my player. I can play the disc on my BDP-3600 with no problems.

post #104 of 720 Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Picked up a BD-P1590C from Costco for $169 yesterday evening (used the $30 coupon) and set it up today. The main reasons for going with this unit (vs. the $98 Magnavox at WALMART, for example) were (1) it will decode TrueHD/DTS-MA (which my Sony STR-DG1000 can't do) to LPCM which my receiver handles without problems, (2) Netflix/Pandora (already a member of both) streaming to my HDTV/surround sound system, and (3) COSTCO's return policy.

Connecting the 1590C into my system was a breeze. I just disconnected the HDMI cable already in place for connecting my upscaling DVD player to my receiver, connected that HDMI cable to the 1590C and plugged in the power cord. Voila! Then I downloaded the 1.03 update for USB installation along with the installation instructions. The update was successful without any issues using a flash drive plugged into the front panel USB port. I haven't bought any Bluray discs yet but SD DVDs look as good as when I was using my upscaling Sony DVP-NC85H which did a very good job of it.

Today I also added Internet access to my A/V system using a NetGear 85 Mbps Powerline Network Adapter Kit (Model XETB1001). It basically uses the house's in-wall electrical wiring to place a access point close to my system although the router is in another room. (BTW, I opted for this approach because it seemed less expensive than replacing my wired router and buying a wireless dongle for the 1590C.) With that in place, I activated Netflix and Pandora without any issues.

Bottom line is that everything went as it was intended and so far I'm a happy camper.
post #105 of 720 Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 AM

My 1590c (Costco) has updated successfully to firmware 1.03. It is not finding the 1.04 update. Why would that be when others are getting the 1.04 update?
post #106 of 720 Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentis View Post

My 1590c (Costco) has updated successfully to firmware 1.03. It is not finding the 1.04 update. Why would that be when others are getting the 1.04 update?

I think so far I'm the only one with the 1.04 firmware...and I didn't upgrade to it, it came pre-installed.
post #107 of 720 Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I do not have Iron Man, sorry.

I have Iron man with the 1.03 firmware and have had no problems.
post #108 of 720 Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 PM

For the Iron Man problem not playing, you have to turn the BD-Live OFF in the set up menu of the player to before the putting in the Blu-ray disc. This was an initial problem encountered when the Iron Man blu-ray initially came out. I also had this problem with the PS3 and the BD-1590.

I'm really interested with the Firmware 1.04 update too for the Blockbuster streaming

*Edited post* i forgot to type OFF after BD-Live lol
post #109 of 720 Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Simpson View Post

Watchmen was the first disc my player didn't like. It would finish a couple of chapters and then repeat the chapters. It also had a sync problem. This happened before and after the update. However, it was a rental copy, while my purchased one comes in the mail. So we'll see if it does it as well.

Good thing I checked this thread because Watchmen is the only disk I've tried and it had lots of issues; lip sync, skipping chapters. This is on 1.03. I'll try some other disks now before I return it to Costco.
post #110 of 720 Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokk View Post

I must be new to HDMI. I'm used to the old fashioned days, where you had one (or more) cables for video and different cables for sound. I was thrown off when I first started watching my blu ray, because I was getting this odd "echo" in the sound. I only had an HDMI to the TV, but it turns out the TV was giving me audio at the same time my stereo was. The HDMI apparent was sending a sound signal to the TV as well as the video (and some other information as well). So I just turned down the TV sound and the echo went away.

Brokk...

I have the bd-p1590, and have been noticing a lip sync issue too. I returned my first one, and had the exact same issue with the second, however, Brokk's post has given me a theroy. I believe the analog output is real time, while the hdmi out is slightly delayed. if both analog and hdmi outs, output audio at the same time, then Brokk would have heard a sound more akin to stereo, and not more like echo.

The lip sync issue is very subtle, and if I didn't work as a video editor, and look at lip sync issues all day, one could miss it pretty easy.

I am at work right now, so I will go home and test, and then post my results.

one more piece of anecdotal evidence... I had to go buy a hdmi cable, so I had to set-up the 1590 using componet/ analog audio at first. I noticed no lip sync issue with this configuration.

-The Editdroid
post #111 of 720 Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Rented Iron Man and The Watchmen tonight...only got around to watching Iron Man, but there were zero issues on my player (firmware 1.04).

I'll watch The Watchmen either tomorrow or Sunday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1B4ME View Post

post #112 of 720 Old 08-29-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by editdroid9 View Post

The lip sync issue is very subtle, and if I didn't work as a video editor, and look at lip sync issues all day, one could miss it pretty easy.

Do you have your player hooked up to a stereo as well? Do you notice the lip sync issue using only the stereo for sound?

Brokk...
post #113 of 720 Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Checked last night and showed I had the latest firmware available (1.03).....
post #114 of 720 Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM

If you have the receipt for the 1590c and a $30 off coupon, take both to the returns desk and Costco will give you the $30. Their 30 day price match guarantee covers their own previously sold products also.
post #115 of 720 Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Ran into my first issue with the BD-P1590C...the Pixar Short's DVD, for some reason keeps enabling the sub-titles, even if I turn them off. It's weird though...the first video will play fine, then the 2nd will have the sub-titles turned on. If I then go through the menu and disable sub-titles, it will play the rest of the way through without sub-titles, but then the next video will have sub-titles, and so on. This is the only movie I have experience this on so far (and it did not behave this way when I was using an Xbox 360 as a DVD player, nor on any of the other DVD player's I have used in the past with this particular DVD).
post #116 of 720 Old 08-30-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin247 View Post

What does a loading issue look like? I just bought this player for Costco a month back and tried playing Iron Man Blu-ray disc and just had a blank screen on my TV and 00:00:00 displayed on the player. I tried skipping chapters and accessing the disc menu but still dispayed nothing. The special features disc played though...but I wanna wanna watch Iron Man!

At first I thought it was just a bad reader, so I went back to Costco yesterday and exchanged it for another one. Still the same problem, with the most recent firmware version.

Is this something we just have to accept -- that some players just doesn't read certain movies or is there a player that plays ALL titles?

So far, my 1590C doesn't play the following:
- Iron Man
- The Haunting in Connecticut
- Defiance
- Watchmen (plays, but with skipping)

Netflix and Pandora has been AWESOME though! I have it hard-wired into my router. HD movies come out very clear in Netflix streaming.

What I've highlighted in red exactly describes my situation also. I tried a second copy of Iron Man and even did a reset on the player and went through the set-up again. Still no joy. Anyone else have this problem and, if so, is there a solution?

EDIT: SOLVED (for me, anyway). I found this post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpinoy View Post

For the Iron Man problem not playing, you have to turn the BD-Live on the set up menu of the player before the putting in the Blu-ray disc. This was an initial problem encountered when the Iron Man blu-ray initially came out. I also had this problem with the PS3 and the BD-1590.

I'm really interested with the Firmware 1.04 update too for the Blockbuster streaming

Unfortunately, it seems to have a key word/phrase left out however, i.e., "you have to turn the BD-Live on the set up menu of the player (samsurd2 adds ON??/OFF??) before the putting in the Blu-ray disc.

Did azpinoy mean you have to turn BD-LIVE ON or OFF in the Set Up Menu? Well, easy enough to try it. Turns out for me that if I go to the Network Set Up menu, and select Prohibit under the BD-LIVE Internet Connection choices, Iron Man plays just fine. Tried this successfully with both Iron Man copies that I have. I also confirmed that neither of the other BD-LIVE Internet Connection choices (Allow(All) and Allow (Valid Only)) work, at least for my system.
post #117 of 720 Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Hi All-

I first posted this on its own thread, since it seemed too specific to post on this thread. The moderator locked the thread. Sorry.

"I just bought a new Samsung BD-P 1590, and hooked it up. First impressions: cheapo build quality, crappy remote (weak signal, flimsy buttons), OK blu-ray picture ( but not as good as my PS3).

I've tried streaming Netflix, and was pleasantly surprised at the PQ. However, a problem has appeared. On a couple of different shows, the stream will simply freeze, without any error message, or any attempt to re-buffer. Other programs have played without event.

The only fix I've tried has been to stop playback, and then restart. This has not fixed the error; the video will back up a minute or two, restart, and then freeze again, sometimes at the prior freeze point, others a bit further into the video.

Any ideas?"

After posting this, I powered up the Samsung box again, and went back to two of the offending programs, which played back flawlessly. I don't remember specifically whether I powered off the unit when trying to correct the problem earlier (probably not), but I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same problem.

Problem solved...for now, at least.
post #118 of 720 Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 AM

JHolcomb--

Yes that is exactly what happened to me, both before and after the firmware upgrade to 1.03. It only happens on occasion, and a power down/up usually fixes it. Annoying, yes, but also pretty rare.
post #119 of 720 Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 AM

To the posts above, I haven't experienced any issues with Netflix streaming on fw 1.04.

I also messed around with YouTube a bit on the BD-P1590C and it was decent. One drawback was that I couldn't [find a way to] go to a specific URL, so therefore could not watch the Outer Lands concert broadcast via the 1590.
post #120 of 720 Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 AM

I also picked up this player at Costco at the coupon price. I have been somewhat happy with it. The first thing I notice when I turn it on is that it makes a loud noise. It almost sounds like a grinding noise trying to read a disk. It only lasts about a second though. I have also noticed this when it tries to load menus. Is this normal?

The other thing I am noticing is the lip sync issues. I have it connected HDMI to my TV and then optical to my receiver. I get the echo sound when I have the volume up on my receiver and tv, but if I turn the TV volume down it goes away, but then I have the slight lip sync delay.

Any ideas if these things are the result of a faulty player, should I exchange it? I have also been curious if I should return this unit and get a PS3 since there was a price drop. It would mostly be used to play movies and not games though. Thoughts?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page