Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthiess View Post

I haven't tried through the player yet. But there are two ways to go to the download site. If you manually enter the model number, it takes you to a list that includes 1.03. If instead you dig through the various model numbers one at a time, it will take you to 2.02.

Hang on a second, that page is talking about BD-P1000 up above. Could Samsung have the pages all screwed up???

UPDATE--Looks like the firware number is BEv2.02_090827_BDP1600. Since 1590 and 1600 are the same machines inside, I guess we're good.

the update is available through the player...as i turned the player on, it says "update available", but i chose "cancel" to make sure it is 2.02 (since it does not tell you)....

...so i went to Menu - Setup - System - then checked for updates...it checked and it said 2.02 was available ...and like i said dloading it as i type hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
Very cool, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpinoy View Post

the update is available through the player...as i turned the player on, it says "update available", but i chose "cancel" to make sure it is 2.02 (since it does not tell you)....

...so i went to Menu - Setup - System - then checked for updates...it checked and it said 2.02 was available ...and like i said dloading it as i type hehe

post #153 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox View Post

Very cool, good luck!

i'm looking through blockbuster online for a free trial to see if it has better selections than Netflix
post #154 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM

it works!!...and it does have Blockbuster and YouTube included in the update...however, i'm reading through Blockbuster.com and their online portion is a "Pay-per-view" type set up...it has all the new releases available to stream, but for a price ...just like you would with Direct TV
post #155 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

it works!!...and it does have Blockbuster and YouTube included in the update...however, i'm reading through Blockbuster.com and their online portion is a "Pay-per-view" type set up...it has all the new releases available to stream, but for a price ...just like you would with Direct TV

How much are they charging? And do you have The Watchmen blu-ray to test out?
post #156 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM

it varies...for "renting", which gives you a 24hr time period to finish viewing the movie wants you start playback, it can go up as much as $3 per movie...

..for "dloading", which gives you unlimited viewing time, it can go up to $20!...but i'm wondering how storage will be for the 1590...cause i don't think it has internal memory (or can someone correct me on that?)

...as for Watchmen, i'm still waiting for Netflix to ship me the blu-ray...i'm stuck on the "Long Wait" list lol
post #157 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Probably need the USB drive to use the dload feature.
post #158 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM

the YouTube interface could be much better...the search feature is set up like txting on a phone...which sucks considering how there's lag between the remote and the player
post #159 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM

So let me get this right. Firmware update 1.4 was released a week or so ago now there is a 2.02 update? Anyone know what changed between 1.4 and 2.02?
post #160 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM

as far as i know, 1.04 was never released for actual dload...there were some people that were getting 1.04 loaded already from the shelves...
post #161 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Correct, 1.04 was never offered, but it came pre-loaded on some units (like mine). I'm currently upgrading to 2.02.

*edit*

update to 2.02 successful, currently watching Disneynature's Earth, so far so good. I'll finish up The Watchmen tonight and report back.
post #162 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 05:06 PM

I got prompted by the network connection, downloaded it and now have the Blockbuster and YouTube buttons. Haven't tried them yet.
I'm still in my Netflix free trial period. I wonder if Blockbuster might be better. Any thoughts? How do costs compare, and availability of titles for streaming?
post #163 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCantwell View Post

I got prompted by the network connection, downloaded it and now have the Blockbuster and YouTube buttons. Haven't tried them yet.
I'm still in my Netflix free trial period. I wonder if Blockbuster might be better. Any thoughts? How do costs compare, and availability of titles for streaming?

i haven't tried it yet...but i did take a look at blockbuster.com (a few posts above)...in terms of streaming, there's no free streaming like the one included in Netflix....

...the "streaming" content that Blockbuster offers is like the ones you see as Pay-per-view types at Direct TV etc...you pay $3 or more and have 24 hrs to view the movie...you also have the option to "Buy" the movie for as much as $20 and gives you "unlimited" view times for the movie

...as far as catalog, that's where the Blockbuster advantage is...the Blockbuster streaming catalog contains newly released dvds, and Netflix does not
post #164 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Downloaded the 2.02 update to a USB flash drive and successfully installed it. Everything seems to be working nicely so I remain a happy camper. Besides the addition of Blockbuster and YouTube, neither of which I give a rat's a$$ about, I'll be interested to hear if anyone finds out what 2.02 adds/fixes over version 1.03.
post #165 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Got the update this afternoon. Now Pandora will stop playing after 5-10 min. Plays fine then part way through a song just freezes the player up. None of the front panel buttons will work, nor will the remote. It will however still turn off and on with the remote. I did try the 5 sec hold on the FF button to reset the unit, didn't seem to resolve the issue. Does anyone by chance know how to get ahold of the old firmware, and if it is possible to flash back to an older version?
post #166 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

The latest releases of 12 Monkeys and Black Hawk Down on Blu-ray will not play on the BD-P1590. These are "simple" discs without too much more than menus but the player displays "Unable to play disc" or something similar with a yellow and black caution sign. Also, this notice is displayed right away without a delay at all. They both play fine on my Sony BDP-S360.

As I've mentioned before, Blu-ray discs like: T2 Skynet Edition, AVP Requiem, Watchmen and Race to Witch Mountain all have A/V issues of some sort. I also recently played the Aliens DVD from the Quadrilogy box set and it too had A/V glitches in parts (also a multi-branching disc but not Blu-ray of course).

Update after installing the firmware update (incomplete until I get time to really test/watch some of these titles closely):

Black Hawk Down now loads but when it gets to the menu, interactive elements (like Play, Setup, etc.) don't appear. Instead, the menu's animated background and sound play repeatedly in a loop but remote button presses do nothing (tried them all).

12 Monkeys now loads and plays fine now.

As mentioned in the previous post, the player showed a special "Unable to play disc" screen before. So this seems to have been a firmware issue and not a possible player or lens alignment issue as suggested by others.

Watchmen's director's version now loads and works fine (gets passed the animated gears turning animation).

Will have to view Watchmen again for the chapter loop back issue of before during the funeral scene.

Will have to check: AVP Requiem, T2: Skynet Edition, Race to Witch Mountain and Alien (DVD) at a later time and report back.

So, overall: progress.
post #167 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Just finished The Watchmen (watched the last 2 hours on fw 2.02), no video issues at all, still experienced 2-3 tiny audio dropouts, nothing major.
post #168 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 PM

The YouTube feature is kind of nice. If you save a video to favorites (easier on your computer), you can log into your YouTube account on the 1590 and watch those videos.
post #169 of 720 Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 PM

trying the Blockbuster feature...i guess you don't need to sign for their mailer membership to use the On Demand streaming...however, they will want your credit card/billing info...also, i'm trying to punch in my activation code, but the device keeps on saying it's invalid...anybody else tried Blockbuster
post #170 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:

trying the Blockbuster feature...i guess you don't need to sign for their mailer membership to use the On Demand streaming...however, they will want your credit card/billing info...also, i'm trying to punch in my activation code, but the device keeps on saying it's invalid...anybody else tried Blockbuster

I had no luck with Blockbuster either, and I have an account there. I tried 3-4 different activation codes and it accepted none of them.

Everything else worked fine, no changes that I could tell right away, anyway. You tube is nice, but a pain to have to sign in to. Also, I keep hearing of mkv file support, but I'm not sure what media this refers to. I tried several mkv files on various disc formats and none of them worked. Perhaps it is usb related? Anyone know?
post #171 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyblu View Post

Got the update this afternoon. Now Pandora will stop playing after 5-10 min. Plays fine then part way through a song just freezes the player up. None of the front panel buttons will work, nor will the remote. It will however still turn off and on with the remote. I did try the 5 sec hold on the FF button to reset the unit, didn't seem to resolve the issue. Does anyone by chance know how to get ahold of the old firmware, and if it is possible to flash back to an older version?

Yep, I have this issue too. Pandora and Netflix are the reasons I bought this player. Annoying to have to turn it off and on again. Have to call support about it..
post #172 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Anybody notice that after downloading firmware update 2.02 it now shows it as firmware version 1.05 on the machine?
post #173 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velorex3wheeler View Post

Anybody notice that after downloading firmware update 2.02 it now shows it as firmware version 1.05 on the machine?

Firmware version shows as 2.02, loader version shows as 1.05 iirc
post #174 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Downloaded the 2.02 update to a USB flash drive and successfully installed it. Everything seems to be working nicely so I remain a happy camper. Besides the addition of Blockbuster and YouTube, neither of which I give a rat's a$$ about, I'll be interested to hear if anyone finds out what 2.02 adds/fixes over version 1.03.

Found this over in the BD-P1600 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17120872
post #175 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 PM

I just bought the 1590 @ Sams today for $179. It says 1590C on the sign, but the box just says 1590 and comes with the HDMI cable.

So I hooked it up to my HDMI and network.....it immediately saw the 2.02 update and loaded it. So far looks ok.

Question about audio: I have an older H/K AVR300 5.1 receiver which I've connected via optical audio. I setup the 1590 audio as "Bitstream (re-encode)". When I play a Disney's "Earth" bluray disc, I get 5.1 DTS....so that's good. However, when I play Netflix, I'm getting 2.0 DTS. Huh? If I get 2.0 DTS, I would think I should be able to get 5.1 DTS on Netflix. The PQ on Netflix looks great...no problems there and I'm getting a very strong (all bars) signal. Any thoughts?

Mike
post #176 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 PM

My error you our quite correct that it shows 2.02.
post #177 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthiess View Post

I had no luck with Blockbuster either, and I have an account there. I tried 3-4 different activation codes and it accepted none of them.

Everything else worked fine, no changes that I could tell right away, anyway. You tube is nice, but a pain to have to sign in to. Also, I keep hearing of mkv file support, but I'm not sure what media this refers to. I tried several mkv files on various disc formats and none of them worked. Perhaps it is usb related? Anyone know?

I called the Blockbuster help line (888-552-1969) and a rep said the offical launch has been pushed back from Thursday the 3rd out to another week or so: no specific date given. The rep said this was done to provide a better selection and better service.

P. S. I'm going back and playing Blu-ray titles I've had since the PS3 launch and just before I got the Samsung 1590. Wanted played fine! (It can be done!)
post #178 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_tx View Post

I just bought the 1590 @ Sams today for $179. It says 1590C on the sign, but the box just says 1590 and comes with the HDMI cable.

So I hooked it up to my HDMI and network.....it immediately saw the 2.02 update and loaded it. So far looks ok.

Question about audio: I have an older H/K AVR300 5.1 receiver which I've connected via optical audio. I setup the 1590 audio as "Bitstream (re-encode)". When I play a Disney's "Earth" bluray disc, I get 5.1 DTS....so that's good. However, when I play Netflix, I'm getting 2.0 DTS. Huh? If I get 2.0 DTS, I would think I should be able to get 5.1 DTS on Netflix. The PQ on Netflix looks great...no problems there and I'm getting a very strong (all bars) signal. Any thoughts?

Mike

Nothing is wrong. It turns out that stereo (2 channels) is all you get from Netflix, at least for now. I use Dolby PLII to get 5.1 when I'm viewing Netflix.
post #179 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I called the Blockbuster help line (888-552-1969) and a rep said the offical launch has been pushed back from Thursday the 3rd out to another week or so: no specific date given. The rep said this was done to provide a better selection and better service.

P. S. I'm going back and playing Blu-ray titles I've had since the PS3 launch and just before I got the Samsung 1590. Wanted played fine! (It can be done!)

i see...thanks for the update!
post #180 of 720 Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks samsurd2....guess I'll just have to be happy with 2.0 on Netflix. I can't really complain....it's pretty cool. I watched a full movie tonight on Netflix with no problems.....looked great. I then watched Disneynature "Earth" and that looked/sounded great also. Only problem (maybe it's not a problem) I noticed is when I turn the player off with a disc in it, when it turns back on it goes straight into the disc......not the menu. I don't care for that.

Mike
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com