samsung BD-P1590 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 720 Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wal-Mart carries the new samsung bd-p1590 blu-ray player for $228.00. it seems to be exactly like the 1600. just seen them instore last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 720 Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting. I wonder if there are any differences?
EDIT: different button layout on front panel (see pdf in post below)

Here is a link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...#ProductDetail
post #3 of 720 Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

post #4 of 720 Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2 View Post

Wal-Mart carries the new samsung bd-p1590 blu-ray player for $228.00. it seems to be exactly like the 1600. just seen them instore last night.

It's actually $238 according to the website.
post #5 of 720 Old 05-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

It's actually $238 according to the website.

I just saw it at our store for 248. The 1500 is 198.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 1500, as the new 1590 does netflix and DTS-HDMA! Actually, Walmart probably just forced Samsung to relabel the 1600 as the 1590 for their stores only so they wouldn't have to worry about price matching. Certainly wouldn't be the first time Wally has flexed their muscles with the manufacturers.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #6 of 720 Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Picked one up from Walmart last night. Upgraded from a 1500 for Netflix.

BD works great. Watched Da Vinchi Code without any issues.
Connected to a Sharp 12k (1080i)/Denon AVR-5805 (bitstream lossless).

Having issues with Netflix though:

1) Connection test passes and it is recognized. (Wired Ethernet)
3) Did setup through webpage. Worked.
2) Videos in queue show (text), but pictures are not loading (grey with question marks).
3) When I want to start a video, stream does not start. After a while it comes back with: This selection is not available live anymore. Makes no sense because I can watch the selection on my PC.

Added a 4GB stick, with no difference at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Feedback from people using Netflix successfully on this device would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

Spend a lot of time on this:

1) Neflix Tech Support (Really friendly and helpful): Turned off firewall, opened ports, ... until we ran out of options. They can see the device but it is still not streaming. It is connecting to pull some data.
2) Samsung Support: No real help: If it is connecting, not our issue.
3) Replaced the Unit at Walmart.

No luck yet. Anyone out there that got Netflix running on this unit?

Pandora works btw.
post #7 of 720 Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Confirmed, netflix works. Picked this unit up at walmart last night. on 7mbps connection. The images for the titles while browsing load slowly- but they do load. Movies play- but some movies have sound and picture dropout.

The firmware on the device at walmart as of today is the latest available from samsung.

Pandora is good.
post #8 of 720 Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM

a bit annoyed that it's advertised "wi-fi ready" when in reality it's not ready what-so-ever. It needs an additional dongle purchase (rumored, but not confirmed, to be $80). Either way, if it doesn't have wi-fi, I'm not sure how wi-fi ready can really be advertised.

Additionally, does not play AVI files from usb.

Additionally, no animation while browsing netflix (and no categorizing either. Takes a really long time to get to the end of 100 movies. Almost so bad it's not worth doing, and instead getting on your computer and changing the order and then starting the bluray player).
post #9 of 720 Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM

ok so, this is just stupid. This is the third bluray player I've purchased (and am about to return). I don't understand why my $50 dvd player works perfectly, but a bluray player for $250 - $300 can't just work?

They're not taking my money to give me half assed products like this.

The BD-Live content doesn't work at all. Internet access confirmed, BD-LIVE access is set to allow(all), and I've got 2gb USB drive all set up. But what's the catch? It just won't work.

Not that I give half a crap about their bluray live crap, which is nothing more than another way to advertise to me, and offers no real features ATM, I'm just annoyed that I paid for this feature, and it's not even working.

Back to walmart with this hunk of crap.
post #10 of 720 Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just seen this player at my local Wal-Mart and I'm looking to get it this month. After reading the manual, it looks like setting it's (or any Blu-ray player for that matter) audio output to PCM [just like the PS3's output] is the only way to go to get HD audio AND secondary audio and disc menu sound. According to the manual, setting bitstream would light up my receiver's dts-HD MA and Dolby True HD display and logos but I wouldn't hear BD-Live audio from picture-in-picture, etc. or menu sounds.
post #11 of 720 Old 05-22-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

bump, thread killer.
post #12 of 720 Old 05-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFredrickson View Post

a bit annoyed that it's advertised "wi-fi ready" when in reality it's not ready what-so-ever. It needs an additional dongle purchase (rumored, but not confirmed, to be $80). Either way, if it doesn't have wi-fi, I'm not sure how wi-fi ready can really be advertised.

Additionally, does not play AVI files from usb.

Additionally, no animation while browsing netflix (and no categorizing either. Takes a really long time to get to the end of 100 movies. Almost so bad it's not worth doing, and instead getting on your computer and changing the order and then starting the bluray player).

Sorta sounds like my Tivo HD with Netflix. I use my laptop to put movies in my queue. Then I go back to my tivo. Much faster that way.

post #13 of 720 Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I just seen this player at my local Wal-Mart and I'm looking to get it this month. After reading the manual, it looks like setting it's (or any Blu-ray player for that matter) audio output to PCM [just like the PS3's output] is the only way to go to get HD audio AND secondary audio and disc menu sound. According to the manual, setting bitstream would light up my receiver's dts-HD MA and Dolby True HD display and logos but I wouldn't hear BD-Live audio from picture-in-picture, etc. or menu sounds.

Nothing wrong with letting the player internally decode HD audio then PCM'ing it to the receiver. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Bigger things to worry about in this world.

post #14 of 720 Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

Nothing wrong with letting the player internally decode HD audio then PCM'ing it to the receiver. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Bigger things to worry about in this world.

I personally wasn't worried but others have gone on and on about the PS3's inability to output bitstream and about their receivers not showing dts-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD processing when all along PCM sounds just the same and hitting the Display button on the PS3 remote shows the decoding type on the screen. Getting the BDP-1590 will not change anything for me sound-wise as I've been using PCM all along.
post #15 of 720 Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I may get one today and put it in the spare bedroom. I will see if I can get it to work...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #16 of 720 Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Got it to work perfectly now. Netflix works as it should. Issue was not the player but my router. Had a 10 year old (top of the line) Netgear. Although I had it in DMZ and turned off firewalls, I guess something did not get through. Anyhow, after I ugraded my Router - everything works as advertised.

Been watching standard DVD (ackward long loading times on TAKEN) and a few BlueRays (much faster than loading times than my old 1500).

I agree with previous poster. Wireless shoulb be built in. I prefer wired connection so personally I am not worried about it. I guess it is a great player for the price it sells.
post #17 of 720 Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Phlumo View Post

Got it to work perfectly now. Netflix works as it should. Issue was not the player but my router. Had a 10 year old (top of the line) Netgear. Although I had it in DMZ and turned off firewalls, I guess something did not get through. Anyhow, after I ugraded my Router - everything works as advertised.

Been watching standard DVD (ackward long loading times on TAKEN) and a few BlueRays (much faster than loading times than my old 1500).

I agree with previous poster. Wireless shoulb be built in. I prefer wired connection so personally I am not worried about it. I guess it is a great player for the price it sells.

Thank you for the update. I think I'll get one this Friday. I already have a Netflix account with streaming using PC and Xbox 360 but would like to have it on a dedicated player and also to devote my PS3 strictly to gaming. Furthermore, I'm interested in the Pandora streaming. Seems I already have a 'free' account with them from sometime back. Will have to see if there are additional cost to get it to the Samsung and if so, how much. I have an 8 port giga-switch inside my component cabinet and don't need wireless for anything and thus have everything wired. As far as "wireless ready" is concerned, I personally believe some are over reacting a bit. "wireless ready" or "[any feature here] ready" has been used for years on a wide range of products. Most recently, "wireless ready" has appeared on PC printers alot in which it means an additonal printer server will have to be purchased. When televisions claimed "cable ready", people weren't upset when they got them home only to discover the had to purchase and pay for a cable service.
post #18 of 720 Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 AM

Has anybody else noticed a delay in audio on netflix? It seems to come and go- if you pause a netflix movie, and unpause, it sometimes fixes it.. but for the most part, audio on netflix is delayed considerably...

Also- the buttons on the front look like they're a different color in the picture.. mine are totally black- anybody else with this problem? I can't see the buttons on the front without a flashlight.. I'm really thinking about returning this ..
post #19 of 720 Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I got one Friday from the local Wal-Mart. Replaced a DVD player so just plugged in the HDMI cable and power; then made an Ethernet connection. Setting up Netflix and Pandora was quick and easy with activation codes and preexisting accounts. With Netflix, I'm getting about 3 bars less than the maximum on quality with a 16 mbps connection with no audio delay so far (haven't tried HD yet) and the menus seem fast enough. Pandora turns out to be a "free" service (minus purchasing the player and my monthly internet access of course) and works great. Like online, you can create a 'station' and give songs a thumb up or down, etc. A screensaver appears when no buttons are pressed for a time.

The front 'buttons' are a shade of gray on my player that can be seen when the light is on in the room but not in the dark for sure. The touch sensitivity is great though and the only two buttons I'll ever use are on the outside of the group: open (right of the display) and power (right edge of the player).

I'm using a 4GB flash drive. And BD-Live titles seem to work well (with an internet connection of course). Will have to see how switching the audio back to LPCM to listen to menu sounds and bonus view audio goes. Within The Punisher: War Zone Blu-ray, the scene selection preview pictures moved into position very slowly and choppy. On the PS3, their movement was smooth. Still checking out other titles. Overall disc loading times haven't been a major issue for me.

I've set the player to output bit-stream (audiophile) and had to up the volume on my receiver from using LPCM. During segments without audio (warning screens, FBI screens, menu loading, etc.) my receiver's (Sony STR-DG920) display goes 'crazy' flashing between LPCM and nothing repeatedly and fast. This is very weird and annoying but every alternate setting I've tried hasn't stopped it from happening. When an audio signal is present, everything is fine and the receiver's display 'locks' in to the signal and displays it. It's cooler than I thought seeing the audio track types displayed on my receiver for a change.

The remote has a smooth glossy plastic finish that is a fingerprint magnet. Furthermore, the IR sensor on the player seems to be very directional so you have to point pretty much directly at the player. I'm going to JP1 the remote to my universal one and see if its better IR transmitter helps things.

I haven't been able to locate the Picture Mode (Dynamic, Normal, Movie) setting under HDMI that is mentioned on page 45 of the manual.

Update: I did find the Picture Mode option within the Info Display. It also has a User Mode that has Noise Reduction and Sharpness Level adjustments.

Also, I haven't found a Time Remaining display. Myself and others have found this helpful from the PS3's info display.

Update: Press the Up Arrow displays a 'timeline' on some discs with total time and time position but none with time remaining found yet.
post #20 of 720 Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is the load time like?

post #21 of 720 Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

What is the load time like?

The load time is a bit slower than the PS3 which is all I have to compare it to. Some disc load slower or faster depending on several authoring factors.

UPDATE: I've had the DTS HDMA bitstream just stop being output during a few movies. The receiver's channel display indicators shut off and the movie continues on with video but no audio. If I hit pause then play or reverse back a bit and press play, the audio returns. I thought it was the new Terminator 2 Skynet Edition blu-ray but it has done it on other discs also. I've noticed during movie playback, the disc drive whirls a bit from time to time sounding like it does when the unit is first turned on and a disc is loaded up. The DTS HDMA stops could coincide with the disc spin up sound, I'll have to keep checking. For now, the stops seem arbitrary and far apart at best and I haven't able to pin point a definitive root cause.

I've returned this player for the Sony BDPS360. I'll check on the Samsung for time to time and get another one if the audio issue I experienced is addressed. I've read were owners of other Samsung Blu-ray players experience the same audio issues with the 1500 on the same discs I had them on.
post #22 of 720 Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 AM

Update!

Well, It's been a month with this player, and there doesn't appear to be light at the end of this tunnel.

Audio tracking is still off- although with audiophile mode, it seems to be almost perfect for blu-ray discs. Netflix Watchnow titles there's almost a second delay by the end of the movie- completely unwatchable.

I've been over this a few times with samsung support now, I can't adjust my audio receiver to make the audio come out faster, I can only adjust the delay.

Unfortunately, my TV does not have similar options. To contrast- My Sony bluray (can't remember model from walmart) had no such audio issues. My DVD player did not either.

Blu-ray live just doesn't work on this player. I'm using the same usb flash drive that I used to test the sony's bluray live features.

No updates over the net, I'm not going to wait for them to fix the product. I'm returning this and going to try the LG netflix bluray player.
post #23 of 720 Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFredrickson View Post

Update!

Well, It's been a month with this player, and there doesn't appear to be light at the end of this tunnel.

Audio tracking is still off- although with audiophile mode, it seems to be almost perfect for blu-ray discs. Netflix Watchnow titles there's almost a second delay by the end of the movie- completely unwatchable.

I've been over this a few times with samsung support now, I can't adjust my audio receiver to make the audio come out faster, I can only adjust the delay.

Unfortunately, my TV does not have similar options. To contrast- My Sony bluray (can't remember model from walmart) had no such audio issues. My DVD player did not either.

Blu-ray live just doesn't work on this player. I'm using the same usb flash drive that I used to test the sony's bluray live features.

No updates over the net, I'm not going to wait for them to fix the product. I'm returning this and going to try the LG netflix bluray player.

I didn't experience audio delay with my Sony STR-DG920 receiver. With parts without audio at all like FBI warning screens, etc., my receivers display would flash off and on like crazy showing LPCM (with the player set to bitstream) and the channel indicators would blink off and on several times until a section with audio started up. I've never exprienced this with any other component. I tried every setting possible on both the player and receiver. I've emailed Samsung support about this but haven't heard back.

I've since returned the 1590 and got a Sony BDP-S360 for $40 more. I had to at least have a stand alone Blu-ray player that worked. It doesn't have anything like Netflix or Pandora but it works like it's suppose to: no audio dropouts, no audio delays and no funny business with my receiver. It's load times or slower (BD-Live and Java) than the 1590 but it's quicker with most Blu-ray menus.

Like you though, I'm still looking for a firmware update for the 1590 and more feedback on the web about it. I'd get another one if the audio issues mentioned thus far aren't hardware related. I liked everything else about the player and its price.
post #24 of 720 Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I couldn't wait and decided to get another BD-P1590 from the local Wal-Mart. It acts the same way with my receiver as the previous one did. I called Samsung and reported the issue with the Sony STR-DG920 receiver.

I've moved the player to another room hooked up directly to a Philips 42PFL3603D/F7 42" 1080p LCD HDTV also from Wal-Mart. The HDTV supports 24p which the BD-P1590 handles on certain discs. Also, the Anynet feature works with the Philips. Just pressing the Eject or power button on the player turns on the HDTV and switches it to the correct HDMI input.
I've still experienced a/v glitches on the seamless-branching T2 Skynet Edition Blu-ray though but the audio hasn't stopped completely yet. The glitches are hit and miss as to when and if they will happen which makes it harder to explain and maybe fix.

I'm keeping this player and hoping for worthly firmware updates. I got the 2 year extended service plan too. I'm using the Sony BDP-S360 in my main HT setup. It works as it should with my receiver.

BD-Live, Netflix and Pandora all work well with my player.
post #25 of 720 Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 AM

I'm hoping one of you is a techie!! We have a Samsung 1080p TV that is hooked up to a Samsung home theater/surround sound system and a DirecTV box connected to the surround sound, both with HDMI cables. I assumed I would be able to unplug the HDMI cable from our DirecTV box and plug it into the new Blu-Ray (to feed back through the surround sound). WRONG! I am getting no picture or sound, only an error message saying "Mode Not Supported." I've reset the player according to the troubleshooting section and still have no picture. I bought this player hoping I would be able to hook it up through my surround sound (because who doesn't want the full theater experience???). No such luck. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does anyone have any advice?
post #26 of 720 Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinevans View Post

I'm hoping one of you is a techie!! We have a Samsung 1080p TV that is hooked up to a Samsung home theater/surround sound system and a DirecTV box connected to the surround sound, both with HDMI cables. I assumed I would be able to unplug the HDMI cable from our DirecTV box and plug it into the new Blu-Ray (to feed back through the surround sound). WRONG! I am getting no picture or sound, only an error message saying "Mode Not Supported." I've reset the player according to the troubleshooting section and still have no picture. I bought this player hoping I would be able to hook it up through my surround sound (because who doesn't want the full theater experience???). No such luck. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does anyone have any advice?

I had a similar issue with my Samsung HL-S5679W HDTV at one point or another with my first BD-P1590. The HDTV displayed "Mode Not Supported" and I couldn't get the video back when I changed out an Oppo DVD player I was replacing for the Samsung player. I was splitting the video out of my Sony receiver to the Samsung HDTV and a Philips HDTV. On the Philips there was no video but I briefly saw 2800x1600 as the resolution. Obviously not what the BD-P1590 was actually outputting but something jumbled up with the HDMI and definitely a resolution not supported by the Samsung HDTV. I had to do the unplug and wait routine to eventually get picture and sound to return.
post #27 of 720 Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Someone posted that the 1590 will only upconvert standard dvds to 1080p. In other words, if one has a 720p TV like mine, I would not be able to use it to upconvert standard dvds.

Can anyone verify this? I was going to pick one up tomorrow, but this is a deal breaker for me.

...hasan, N0AN
post #28 of 720 Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM

I didn't get a reply, so I went to Wally World and picked one up. No regrets...and the claim that it will only upconvert standard DVDs to 1080p is ...well...completely incorrect. I'm using 1080i and the upconversion works just fine.

NetFlix:

It took me all of 5 mins to get a movie running and the only thing I had done to prepare is sign up for the 15 day trial. I still haven't looked at the manual.

Since my router is set for DHCP services (and the 1590 defaults to DHCP ON), things worked from the get go...no configuration required in terms of networking. I had the hdmi and router connections (hardwired) in place before I even plugged the unit in. When it came up, it was network ready.

From that point on, it was a simple matter to follow prompts on the TV, grab the "Enable Code" from the screen and enter on the NetFlix site. Within seconds I was receiving a movie.

My connection is 1.5 Mbps. SD quality was less than my best standard dvds, but quite watchable. I have not tried a streaming HD title yet, and don't expect it to work well.

UPCONVERTING SD DVDs:

Contrary to other posts, their is no requirement that the connected TV be 1080p. My 1590 defaulted to 1080i and upconverted the standard DVDs just fine. They look very good on my Samsung 56" DLP (720p), but certainly not any where near as good as Blu Ray or HD DVDs. I played several titles (Standard), and they all upconverted just fine.

Blu Ray:

Sharp Picture, exquisite sound.

HDMI connection to my Onkyo 605 HT Amp resulted in a True HD 7.1 channel detection. It sounds terrific! (using Star Trek movie series of Blu Rays.) This is some of the best sound I've ever gotten out of my HT setup.

Summary:

A very good value, feature rich Blu Ray player. Now let's see how it holds up.

...hasan, N0AN
post #29 of 720 Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

Someone posted that the 1590 will only upconvert standard dvds to 1080p. In other words, if one has a 720p TV like mine, I would not be able to use it to upconvert standard dvds.

Can anyone verify this? I was going to pick one up tomorrow, but this is a deal breaker for me.

According to page 41 of the manual, DVDs can be output at 480i, 480p, 1080i and 1080p/60F when using a HDMI connection.
post #30 of 720 Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Recently watched the new Blu-ray release "12 Rounds". It is a multi-branching disc. This time, the video stopped but the audio kept going in one scene.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page