Official: Denon DBP-2010CI Blu-ray Player - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 912 Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey guys, just read the last couple of pages of the thread. I've only kind of been keeping an eye on this player. How exactly is it doing? Seems like Denon still has a few kinks to work out eh? Also, are there any plans to speed up the player? Seems to place in the lower-end of the pack in terms of speed consistently. Looks like the Oppo, JVC and LG and a few others take 50% of the time to load. Not bashing , personally, I'd prefer to have a Denon, but with the flakyness I experienced with the DVD-3930CI, I'm a bit hesitant .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 912 Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

Hey guys, just read the last couple of pages of the thread. I've only kind of been keeping an eye on this player. How exactly is it doing? Seems like Denon still has a few kinks to work out eh? Also, are there any plans to speed up the player? Seems to place in the lower-end of the pack in terms of speed consistently. Looks like the Oppo, JVC and LG and a few others take 50% of the time to load. Not bashing , personally, I'd prefer to have a Denon, but with the flakyness I experienced with the DVD-3930CI, I'm a bit hesitant .

Hi SledgeHammer,
Well it is certainly not the fastest loading player out there, but it certainly is not what I would consider annoyingly slow.
This certainly isn't one of the main reasons why any of us would buy this player anyway.
It's more about performance in regards to PQ & AQ!
This Denon player certainly excels in this regard.
There has been some issues with this player (random freezes) but knock on wood, it may have been resolved by the last firmware update.
Since my latest firmware update, my player has been performing flawlessly with every blu-ray/dvd disc I have put in it and not one single freeze.
The 2010CI is easier to setup and operate than the 3930CI, IMO.
It still has plenty of features but less tweaks than the 3930.
I am going to be putting my 2010CI up against the older 3800BDCI to do some side by side comparisons, and see what player comes out on top.
If by chance I decide to keep the 3800, I may have a great deal on a pristine 2010CI player for somebody.
Have a Safe and Happy New Year!!
post #723 of 912 Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi SledgeHammer,
Well it is certainly not the fastest loading player out there, but it certainly is not what I would consider annoyingly slow.
This certainly isn't one of the main reasons why any of us would buy this player anyway.
This Denon player certainly doesn't disappoint in this regard.
There has been some issues with this player (random freezes) but knock on wood, it may have been resolved by the last firmware update.
Since my latest firmware update, my player has been performing flawlessly with every blu-ray/dvd disc I have put in it.
I am going to be putting my 2010CI up against the older 3800BDCI to do some side by side comparisons, and see what player comes out on top.
If by chance I decide to keep the 3800, I may have a great deal on a pristine 2010CI player for somebody.
post #724 of 912 Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Hi SledgeHammer,
This Denon player certainly doesn't disappoint in this regard.
Since my latest firmware update, my player has been performing flawlessly with every blu-ray/dvd disc I have put in it.

Yeah, I saw a thread where Winston was timing a bunch of players. The JVC, Oppo, LG were all placing in around the 13 - 15 second from disc in / close drawer to playing while the Denon was hitting around 34 seconds. Thats a pretty big difference . What was a bit more ridiculous was that the Denon takes about 11 seconds to power down! Sheesh. Thats a bit crazy. What the heck is it doing for 11 seconds? The other three are reporting 2 second shutdowns. I know... the main time is spent watching the movie . Long start up times just bug me a bit.

I'm concerned about PQ too of course. BUT, isn't PQ only going to vary on the DVD playback & upscaling? I've read that pretty much every BluRay player has the same PQ on BluRay playback??

As for audio, if I am using HDMI, is that going to matter? The decoding won't even happen in the BluRay player, it'll happen in the AVR.

I'm guessing Denon is going to announce 3D players at CES along with everyone else. Not that I have all the equipment to support 3D playback .
post #725 of 912 Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Yeah, I saw a thread where Winston was timing a bunch of players. The JVC, Oppo, LG were all placing in around the 13 - 15 second from disc in / close drawer to playing while the Denon was hitting around 34 seconds. Thats a pretty big difference . What was a bit more ridiculous was that the Denon takes about 11 seconds to power down! Sheesh. Thats a bit crazy. What the heck is it doing for 11 seconds? The other three are reporting 2 second shutdowns. I know... the main time is spent watching the movie . Long start up times just bug me a bit.

I'm concerned about PQ too of course. BUT, isn't PQ only going to vary on the DVD playback & upscaling? I've read that pretty much every BluRay player has the same PQ on BluRay playback??

As for audio, if I am using HDMI, is that going to matter? The decoding won't even happen in the BluRay player, it'll happen in the AVR.

I'm guessing Denon is going to announce 3D players at CES along with everyone else. Not that I have all the equipment to support 3D playback .

i think you may have got your figures wrong sledgehammer.

you're looking at 13-14 seconds from powered off till the trey ejects w/ both 2010 and 1610.
post #726 of 912 Old 01-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Fastest I have seen yet.......... 12 sec from on button to tray open and about the same from eject to open tray. 20 sec to play (something) movie from insert. I had a Sony before and I had to get a 2010 Calender to time it..............
post #727 of 912 Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

What the HECK are these players doing for 13 seconds that they need that long to turn OFF? I just can't comprehend it.

1) stop video output
2) stop spinning the disc
3) open drawer

that shouldn't take more then 1 to 2 seconds MAX. Are these 13 second players going out back for a smoking break after you press the button or something?
post #728 of 912 Old 01-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Japan isnt as close as you may think.
post #729 of 912 Old 01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post

what the heck are these players doing for 13 seconds that they need that long to turn off? I just can't comprehend it.

1) stop video output
2) stop spinning the disc
3) open drawer

that shouldn't take more then 1 to 2 seconds max. Are these 13 second players going out back for a smoking break after you press the button or something?

you are clearly new to blu ray!
post #730 of 912 Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

you are clearly new to blu ray!

Can you explain? I know the current batch of players are all "slow", thats what I'm trying to figure out. 13 seconds to eject a disk? What exactly is the player doing?
post #731 of 912 Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Hi I have tried a lot of other players but miss my Denon 2010. I returned the last one due to the freeze issues. Has it been corrected? I am not reading any new reports on the issue. Denon Canada tells me I am the only one in the country. Either I am unlucky or other people just didn't report it. Any feedback would be appreciated before I take the plunge again.
post #732 of 912 Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Can you explain? I know the current batch of players are all "slow", thats what I'm trying to figure out. 13 seconds to eject a disk? What exactly is the player doing?

Good question, why should bd players be slower than Dvd players... well, thats the way it is...

And why is that?, I dont know.....
post #733 of 912 Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb01 View Post

Hi I have tried a lot of other players but miss my Denon 2010. I returned the last one due to the freeze issues. Has it been corrected? I am not reading any new reports on the issue. Denon Canada tells me I am the only one in the country. Either I am unlucky or other people just didn't report it. Any feedback would be appreciated before I take the plunge again.

I can't confirm or guarantee 100% that the 2010CI freezing problem has been fixed, but every since the latest firmware update I have NOT had one freeze.
I have played every blu-ray title that gave me previous problems plus all the latest movies as well. My 2010CI has been performing flawlessly.
I am however replacing it with a more expensive player as I am always upgrading. Bad habit for me.

I have a practically brand new Denon 2010CI player that is in PERFECT condition that I will be selling if anybody is interested.
The only difference between mine and a brand new sealed unit is everything on mine works, and has been updated to the latest firmware.
Send me a pm if your interested.
post #734 of 912 Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM

I have only watched a handful of movies since the last firmware update but havent had any freezes since then. Time will tell.
post #735 of 912 Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

In my quest for better PQ and AQ, I recently picked up this player at Best Buy. I had to drive about 30 miles cause it was the closest store where one was available. I didn't want to be limited to only one other player I was able to get close to me in this price range and settle for that one without at least trying another manufacturer.

It is probably buried in the thread but is the freezing issue and then resuming playback afterwards a repeatable occurence at the same spot in the movie? Reason I'm asking is I've only had one issue so far and that was with Troy in the early part of the film. I cleaned the disc and tried it again and no problem this time around.

Also I noted a thread about this freezing issue with a few players and really didn't see lots of participation. I just don't know how big a problem it is and I know there is a FW upgrade available now for this player but there isn't enough feedback here to gauge whether or not that puts this issue to bed.
post #736 of 912 Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

In my quest for better PQ and AQ, I recently picked up this player at Best Buy. I had to drive about 30 miles cause it was the closest store where one was available. I didn't want to be limited to only one other player I was able to get close to me in this price range and settle for that one without at least trying another manufacturer.

It is probably buried in the thread but is the freezing issue and then resuming playback afterwards a repeatable occurence at the same spot in the movie? Reason I'm asking is I've only had one issue so far and that was with Troy in the early part of the film. I cleaned the disc and tried it again and no problem this time around.

Also I noted a thread about this freezing issue with a few players and really didn't see lots of participation. I just don't know how big a problem it is and I know there is a FW upgrade available now for this player but there isn't enough feedback here to gauge whether or not that puts this issue to bed.

Robert, a FW was released on 12/4 that appears to have solved the freezing issue. We even had a thread tracking freezes for this and the marantz 7004, but I do not believe any one has had a freeze since the fw. These things were random and who knows what caused them to manifest. We speculated it was related to the shared panasonic componentry and attributable to the inability to rapidly cache memory, but that was never confirmed.
post #737 of 912 Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Robert, a FW was released on 12/4 that appears to have solved the freezing issue. We even had a thread tracking freezes for this and the marantz 7004, but I do not believe any one has had a freeze since the fw. These things were random and who knows what caused them to manifest. We speculated it was related to the shared panasonic componentry and attributable to the inability to rapidly cache memory, but that was never confirmed.

Hello, and Happy new year to everybody,

I installed the latest fw a couple of weeks back, and i experienced a freeze yesterday.

We were watching a hired DVD titled "INKHEART" and the freeze occured past the middle of the film. It lasted about 3s.

So i can't say that the issue is solved.

DENON never answered to my request concerning this issue, although i insisted by sending repeated mails.

Regards.
post #738 of 912 Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulio2005 View Post

Hello, and Happy new year to everybody,

I installed the latest fw a couple of weeks back, and i experienced a freeze yesterday.

We were watching a hired DVD titled "INKHEART" and the freeze occured past the middle of the film. It lasted about 3s.

So i can't say that the issue is solved.

DENON never answered to my request concerning this issue, although i insisted by sending repeated mails.

Regards.

The freeze is only related to bd. Check the dvd, also check if it freezes backwards or at the same place...
If it does so, then it may be an issue with the rental dvd....
post #739 of 912 Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIDexII View Post

The freeze is only related to bd. Check the dvd, also check if it freezes backwards or at the same place...
If it does so, then it may be an issue with the rental dvd....

No i had freezes on both dvd and bd,

both on rental and from my collection,

and of course it does not freeze again if played back (i rewinded few seconds before the freeze position and it did not occur again),

rgds.
post #740 of 912 Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Can someone who actually owns this player help me? I'm looking for a player that supports the highest possible simultaneous output from both HDMI and component at the same time.

The manual:

"If HDMI is connected for video resolution for the component output, you can only select video resolution that currently output from HDMI OUT or 480i."

"If the video resolution for the component output and HDMI video resolution does not match, the video resolution for the component output will be switched to current HDMI resolution. COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks may not output any signals depending on the disc material."

"If 'HDMI Video Resolution' is set to 'Source Direct,' '1010p24' or '1080p', you cannot set "Component Output".

What does this mean in real life? If I'm outputting 1080p from HDMI from a blu ray, will component be off or just output 480i? Same question for a standard DVD?
post #741 of 912 Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post

Can someone who actually owns this player help me? I'm looking for a player that supports the highest possible simultaneous output from both HDMI and component at the same time.

The manual:

"If HDMI is connected for video resolution for the component output, you can only select video resolution that currently output from HDMI OUT or 480i."

"If the video resolution for the component output and HDMI video resolution does not match, the video resolution for the component output will be switched to current HDMI resolution. COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks may not output any signals depending on the disc material."

"If 'HDMI Video Resolution' is set to 'Source Direct,' '1010p24' or '1080p', you cannot set "Component Output".

What does this mean in real life? If I'm outputting 1080p from HDMI from a blu ray, will component be off or just output 480i? Same question for a standard DVD?

Most players will output 480 over component if HDMI is hooked up simultaneously. SDDVD will be output at 480 also unless the disc is not flagged. No upconversion over compoonent.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #742 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Most players will output 480 over component if HDMI is hooked up simultaneously. SDDVD will be output at 480 also unless the disc is not flagged. No upconversion over compoonent.

Thanks, I'm aware of this as a general matter, but I've been downloading manuals and players are all over the map. Do you know specifically if this player has any output at all from component when playing a blu ray at 1080p on HDMI? I can't tell from the manual, and many players do not.
post #743 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Not trying to sound like a smart @ss, but why not call Denon and see if they can actually support this model with your questions. Its worth a shot. Besides, thats as good of a way as any to determine if the player is right for you, the support/or lack of you receive from a MFG. I dont know the answer. Good luck.
post #744 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch33 View Post

Not trying to sound like a smart @ss, but why not call Denon and see if they can actually support this model with your questions. Its worth a shot. Besides, thats as good of a way as any to determine if the player is right for you, the support/or lack of you receive from a MFG. I dont know the answer. Good luck.

Definitely trying! So far I haven't been able to get them to answer...
post #745 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Definitely trying! So far I haven't been able to get them to answer...

After about 1/2 hour on the line, I got the answer that it is "safest" in this case to set HDMI to 1080i - but that if you output 1080p on HDMI the maximum downres on component would be to 1080i. Doesn't sound right to me - for example, with a SDDVD I know I wouldn't get more than 480p on component - and in that case why does the manual say that component "may not output any signals depending on the disc material"? It may be that the only way I find out is to buy it and try, which doesn't thrill me.
post #746 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulio2005 View Post

No i had freezes on both dvd and bd,

both on rental and from my collection,

and of course it does not freeze again if played back (i rewinded few seconds before the freeze position and it did not occur again),

rgds.

Do you also have an SD-card installed?

You do not get the firmware without an SD-card installed in the front.....
post #747 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

After about 1/2 hour on the line, I got the answer that it is "safest" in this case to set HDMI to 1080i - but that if you output 1080p on HDMI the maximum downres on component would be to 1080i. Doesn't sound right to me - for example, with a SDDVD I know I wouldn't get more than 480p on component - and in that case why does the manual say that component "may not output any signals depending on the disc material"? It may be that the only way I find out is to buy it and try, which doesn't thrill me.

I may not get what you are trying to ask. Are you trying to ask if you can get BD at 1080p over component? If so not with any player. Maximum is 1080i.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #748 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM

You can only get max 1080i via Component.
You need HDMI or DVI if you want to get 1080P.
post #749 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks, but the question relates to what the component outputs will do on this particular player when the HDMI is simultaneously outputting 1080p BD or SDDVD. (I'm trying to drive two TVs.) Many players' instructions manuals have a chart comparing output settings/actual output from HDMI and component, so the answer is very clear. Denon doesn't.

When outputting a 1080p BD on HDMI, simultaneous output on component on other players I've looked at ranges from nonexistent, to 480i, to 1080i. When outputting and SDDVD upscaled to 1080p on HDMI, simultaneous component output ranges from nonexistent to 480i to 480p. It varies by player. I'm just trying to figure out what this unit will do.
post #750 of 912 Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but the question relates to what the component outputs will do on this particular player when the HDMI is simultaneously outputting 1080p BD or SDDVD. (I'm trying to drive two TVs.) Many players' instructions manuals have a chart comparing output settings/actual output from HDMI and component, so the answer is very clear. Denon doesn't.

When outputting a 1080p BD on HDMI, simultaneous output on component on other players I've looked at ranges from nonexistent, to 480i, to 1080i. When outputting and SDDVD upscaled to 1080p on HDMI, simultaneous component output ranges from nonexistent to 480i to 480p. It varies by player. I'm just trying to figure out what this unit will do.

The Euro model of Denon2010 scales up to 1080i via component, but you people in the States say that your Denon2010 only get 480i out via component....
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page