Official: Denon DBP-2010CI Blu-ray Player - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 912 Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
how's CD music playback on the DBP-2010CI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 912 Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought this player and had an 8 second freeze on my second Blu ray. I've attempted to download the firmware from Denon, as I want to burn a CD and perform the update this way but I keep getting an error saying "Could not open because the file was not supported or has been damaged, possibly sent as an email attachment and was incorrectly decoded" Anybody else experienced this? Thanks for any input.
post #873 of 912 Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
i got a new dbp2010ci firmware from denon.com, but who can teach me how to use this file to upgrade my dbp2010ci?

I would be very grateful for your help.
post #874 of 912 Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any way you guys can update the player by connecting directly to the ethernet port? That would be the most fool proof way, as long as you have a reliable connection.
post #875 of 912 Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Any way you guys can update the player by connecting directly to the ethernet port? That would be the most fool proof way, as long as you have a reliable connection.

Unfortunately a direct hookup is not an option in my case. I wanted to download the file and burn to a CD. Never encountered this problem with Panasonic or Sony firmware downloads.
post #876 of 912 Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

how's CD music playback on the DBP-2010CI?

Fantastic. A huge improvement from my previous player (Panasonic 35AK)
post #877 of 912 Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just bought this for $100 open box @ BB

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #878 of 912 Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I just bought this for $100 open box @ BB

Wow! That's a power buy. Be sure and update the firmware, mine suffered the dreaded freeze issue and I'm still in the post testing phase.
post #879 of 912 Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDpalooza View Post

Wow! That's a power buy. Be sure and update the firmware, mine suffered the dreaded freeze issue and I'm still in the post testing phase.

First thing I did I also have the 960 mega blu ray player, but this looks so much nicer on the shelf above my avr-4311ci. It also makes my 151fd go into 36bit mode while the sony wont...

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #880 of 912 Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Just FYI, I initially ran into a problem trying to play "Robin Hood" (with Russel Crowe) on Blu-ray. The disc failed to load completely on startup. The player display showed "menu" while my LCD screen continued to display the "loading" logo and the player was stuck in this mode until I turned it off. At this point I realised that I had removed the HCSD card from the player. When I reinstalled the HCSD card (mine is 8 mb) the movie loaded and played without problems.
post #881 of 912 Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 AM

I rented Expendables this last weekend and had problems with it loading properly. When it did load, it was a very tiny box in the center of the screen. I checked again for a firmware update (last time was probably 4-6 months ago) it said there was an update. I downloaded it. Tried to reload the disc, and didnt have any problems this time. I just dont know if the buffer memory needed to be cleared to load the movie or if it was really the firmware update that fixed it. Good luck if you have trouble with The Expendables.
post #882 of 912 Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch33 View Post

I rented Expendables this last weekend and had problems with it loading properly. When it did load, it was a very tiny box in the center of the screen. I checked again for a firmware update (last time was probably 4-6 months ago) it said there was an update. I downloaded it. Tried to reload the disc, and didnt have any problems this time. I just dont know if the buffer memory needed to be cleared to load the movie or if it was really the firmware update that fixed it. Good luck if you have trouble with The Expendables.

Lionsgate titles must have an SD card installed.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #883 of 912 Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Apparently not true re SD card. As I mentioned the title played fine after doing a firmware update. I do not have a SD card installed.
post #884 of 912 Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

This has been a topic throughout this thread, and other player threads, with Lionsgate titles. Consider yourself lucky that you did get it to play. The small box after the opening warnings or lack of menu/controls is a common symptom with 2.0 players that do not have memory built in. I have seen the same thing with Panasonic and Samsung players. Something in the way Lionsgate authots their discs as compared to other companies. A cheap SD card kept in the player will eliminate any problems with other Lionsgate titles.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #885 of 912 Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 PM

I know this player is at the end of it's life cycle but was wondering how this player compares to the newer offerings. My local Best Buy found one in their backroom brand new in a sealed box. I ended up buying it for just under $130. I knew once they tagged it, it would be gone so I grabbed it figuring I can return it once I looked into what the player has to offer.

I don't need Streaming features, 3D, etc. I'm just looking for a good BR player that is still being supported through FW updates and reliable for BR loading & playback. I also intend to use this unit for music playback through my Yamaha RX-V3900 using the analogue outputs on the Denon. Upconversion and scaling on regular DVD's are a plus as well.

The Denon will replace my almost brand new Oppo BDP-83se. I realize that Oppo will beat the Denon in Std DVD upconverting and for music playback through its' analogues but wonder how much better the Oppo is in both areas. Just thought I would elicit some feedback before breaking the seal on the Denon.

I'm forced to scale back on this hobby due to some financial and family issues and I know I can still get a premium for my Oppo.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid - Jayne
post #886 of 912 Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Don't underestimate the Denon when it comes to music playback using the 2 channel analog outs. It is very good. DVD upscaling is good, but not quite as good as the Oppo 83. BD playback will be the same. The Denon has required very few firmware updates compared to the many number of players I've had. It is not the fastest loader on the block, but it has played everything I've thrown at it without problems, just make sure you have an SD card installed for Lionsgate titles.

S~

post #887 of 912 Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks Teachsac... I can deal with the slower lead times, I'm more concerned that Blu-Rays load up correctly so i'm glad to hear you've had no problems in that respect.

Also glad to hear the positive review for music quality.

I decided to open the box and hook it up so I can spend the afternoon, up to kick-off, auditioning the unit. Being the machine is brand new, I'm sure I can recoup my purchase since I paid so little in the case that I don't like it.

Thanks again.

I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid - Jayne
post #888 of 912 Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

currently using 2 pio players 23 fd and 51fd..how does it compare? and are they made in Japan also?

thanks..

As of about 5 years ago, Denon is made in China, it used to be made in Japan, also instead of Denon it now says "Denon brand company". At least that's how my 2910 is. My pioneer 58AV is made in Thailand. I'm convinced there is one large contract factory in China that makes Denon, OPPO and others. Very few of these companies even have their own factories, they just give them the design to produce and hope everything turns out ok. High technology products with Chinese manufacturing, not a good combination IMO.
post #889 of 912 Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Don't underestimate the Denon when it comes to music playback using the 2 channel analog outs. It is very good. DVD upscaling is good, but not quite as good as the Oppo 83. BD playback will be the same. The Denon has required very few firmware updates compared to the many number of players I've had. It is not the fastest loader on the block, but it has played everything I've thrown at it without problems, just make sure you have an SD card installed for Lionsgate titles.

S~

I fully agree with this reply. The loading times are nothing to write home about but once the BR movie is loaded it looks wonderful. I am also using the analog out to my Denon 1909 receiver and the sound quality is fantastic. I can't compare it to the Oppo since I've never owned one but I can say that it is far superior to anything else I've owned. I've had the 2010 for a while now and I'm still going through my CD collection, relistening to my favorite CDs and hearing details that I never heard before.
post #890 of 912 Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM

Thanks sound seeker, I've had the 2010 hooked up since super bowl Sunday and finally got to sit down last night and do some critical listening. Hookups were via the hdmi and 2-channel analogues to a Yamaha RX-V3900

I updated the fw and threw in at least 20 blurays. All loaded problem free. First surprise was the load times....maybe i had myself prepared for the load times to be terrible compared to the oppo but they really weren't that bad.

Blurays looked great as expected. Bluray is bluray. My second surprise was the quality of standard dvd's. Since I rarely watch anything but blurays anymore, I believe i will be satisfied with the Denon's DVD processing for those ever increasing rare standard DVD viewing.

I'm still working on the cd audio but so far the 2010 sounds very good. Some more tweaking and dialing in I think it will sound excellent.

I also pulled my Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi out of the closet which will be utilized through it's multichannel output for SACD and DVD-A playback, the one feature missing in the 2010. In time I will put the Denon and Pioneer head to head for cd playback.

I feel confident that although I will miss the BDP-83se, the Denon will be an competent replacement for BR and DVD playback and possibly CD as well. Besides....it gave me an excuse to utilize my beloved DV-79AVi again.

Oppo 83se goes up for sale today.

post #891 of 912 Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Hey fellas, i have a question for you guys.

I purchased a DBP-2010 new years eve from best buy for $100. I understand this player does not play DVD-A and SACD, but it does play certain ones. And by certain ones i mean deviant acquisitions. Of the 8 DVD-A and SACD discs i have 5 are real (and do not work), but the others all work without a hitch. When i play them in the 2010, it reads it as a CD or DVD, and plays it through DTS which is displayed on my Pioneer Elite receiver.

Does anyone have any ideas why it will play shady SACD/DVD-A but not real ones?
post #892 of 912 Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Has anyone here had any luck playing the Blu-ray version of the Digital Video Essentials DVE HD Basics video calibration disc (http://www.videoessentials.com/) on their Denon DBP-2010CI player. I recently purchased the disc, and it won't play in my player. After a couple of minutes attempting to load the disc, the player displays

Disc Error
--Please eject the disc--
Playback feature may not be available on this Disc

The same exact disc plays fine, however, on my son's Playstation 3.

My player has the latest firmware, so I'm not going to be able to resolve the issue by updating the firmware. I suspect the problem may be due to the anemic onboard memory on the DBP-2010CI, which I obviously can't do anything about, either.

Anyone have better luck with the Blu-ray DVE HD Basics than me? Any suggestions for how I might get the disc to play?

Thanks.
post #893 of 912 Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

I've used it before and had no problems. Sorry.

S~

post #894 of 912 Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandrews View Post

Has anyone here had any luck playing the Blu-ray version of the Digital Video Essentials DVE HD Basics video calibration disc (http://www.videoessentials.com/) on their Denon DBP-2010CI player. I recently purchased the disc, and it won't play in my player. After a couple of minutes attempting to load the disc, the player displays

Disc Error

My player has the latest firmware, so I'm not going to be able to resolve the issue by updating the firmware. I suspect the problem may be due to the anemic onboard memory on the DBP-2010CI, which I obviously can't do anything about, either.

Anyone have better luck with the Blu-ray DVE HD Basics than me? Any suggestions for how I might get the disc to play?

Thanks.

Have you tried with a memory card in the slot?
post #895 of 912 Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post

Have you tried with a memory card in the slot?

Yes, a 2GB SD memory card.
post #896 of 912 Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandrews View Post

Disc Error

Thanks.

I have had no problem running it in my unit but only after installing a memory chip. If I remember correctly I got the same message without the SD chip. I would suggest re-seating the SD chip or trying another one.
post #897 of 912 Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello all -

I'm going to be connecting the 2010 to my Denon AVR-5308, which has a better video processor in it than this player, and I'm wondering if I can pass the native video resolution on the disc through the player to my AVR without any sort of scaling or up-rezing. Is there a "pure direct" or native pass-though video mode or something similar on this player?
post #898 of 912 Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Hello all -

I'm going to be connecting the 2010 to my Denon AVR-5308, which has a better video processor in it than this player, and I'm wondering if I can pass the native video resolution on the disc through the player to my AVR without any sort of scaling or up-rezing. Is there a "pure direct" or native pass-though video mode or something similar on this player?

Hello Hifisponge.

There should be a setting in the 2010 menu for video output. Set it to 480i which is DVD native rez. Then set your 5308 to upscale the incoming video to 1080P. What is really interesting is which does the upscaling the best, the 2010, the 5308 or the TV. Remember, if your TV is 1080P which if I recall, is, it has a built in scaler also. You could do straight pass thru all the way to the TV so it can upscale the 480i signal to 1080P. This comparison could prove to be very interesting.

BTW, long time no chat!

Regards,

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #899 of 912 Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Hello all -

Hifi, in my last post, I was assuming you were referring to standard DVD playback? Is that what you were referring too, because if you have cable or satellite, your resolutions vary from channel to channel. Anywhere from 376i to 4801i in the standard channels and in high def, you could get anything from 480p to 576p(very rare instances) to 720p or 1080i.

Addendum: Also, the 2010 uses a 10 bit ABT VRS video processor/scaler. The 5308CI uses 10 bit sxT2 HQV Realta video processor/scaler.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #900 of 912 Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey LDG -

Always good to hear from you, and thanks for the help. Yes, sending out 480i for DVD from the 2010 is what I'm interested in. Forgive my ignorance when it comes to video (you know I'm mainly an audio guy), but is there any sort of conversion that would take place within the player for BluRay? For instance, converting 24fps to 60fps? I want all video output from the player to be native to what is on the disc.

I understand that for cable TV, that the rezs change depending on the channel, and I have my cable box to ouput 480i for SD and 1080i for HD. It would be nice if I could also select 720P for those channels that support it, but most are 1080i and this is a compromise I can accept.

On the subject of the ABT vs. the Realta, it is my understanding that even though the Realta chip is older, that it still slightly outperforms the ABT. What's your take?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page