Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 912 Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

I will test that and report back. I was using source direct to my 5308ci and letting the realta scale. I will compare the 05 to the 2010 internal scaling tonight

I can tell you from off to the tray opening (using eject button ) the Denon opens 7.47 secs faster
and
From off to no disc displayed the Denon is 8.57 secs faster

I did a side by side test of the 05fd and the 2010. TO be honest I could not see a differance between the 2 for dvd upconversion. I had 8 folks over and 5 of them thought the 2010 produced a better picture from standard dvd and other 3 thought it was even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 912 Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I did a side by side test of the 05fd and the 2010. TO be honest I could not see a differance between the 2 for dvd upconversion. I had 8 folks over and 5 of them thought the 2010 produced a better picture from standard dvd and other 3 thought it was even.

What size of display are you using? It's been my impression that the benefits of an excellent upscaler over a very good scaler are nearly indistinguishable on most tvs 50" and under. I struggle to see much difference between my oppo and the jvc xv-bp1 on most dvd transfers. Only really shoddy transfers have enough noise to reduce/clean up.

How did you find the tweaking menus between the two?

BD performance?

Sound quality?

I trust (read hope) that the Denon was more responsive with menus and faster overall.

Thanks for your input.
post #183 of 912 Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

What size of display are you using? It's been my impression that the benefits of an excellent upscaler over a very good scaler are nearly indistinguishable on most tvs 50" and under. I struggle to see much difference between my oppo and the jvc xv-bp1 on most dvd transfers. Only really shoddy transfers have enough noise to reduce/clean up.

How did you find the tweaking menus between the two?

BD performance?

Sound quality?

I trust (read hope) that the Denon was more responsive with menus and faster overall.

Thanks for your input.

I have a pioneer 151fd which is the 60" kuro elite

Tweaking-- I havent really sat with the Denon yet and gone through all the menus. I will update on this

BD performance the Denon is a faster unit and outperforms the 05 upon bootup and movie menus with easy. Much smoother operation on movie menus

all and all I am happy with my "Upgrade" to the Denon : )
post #184 of 912 Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:

pm - i got it for 409 shipped.

hi where?

I'm in toronto though
post #185 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, not in Harmony database!
I emailed them & asked them to add it, we'll see what happens I guess.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #186 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Picked one up today and I think I have a dud. Updated to the latest firmware. However, it wouldn't load a number of BRs that my Panasonic BD55 played without problem (Gran Torino; Fast & Furious 2009; Transformers; Wanted). Was able to load Burn Notice and Kill Bill. Will take it back for an exchange tomorrow and hope that I just got a lemon this time round.
post #187 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrayb View Post

Picked one up today and I think I have a dud. Updated to the latest firmware. However, it wouldn't load a number of BRs that my Panasonic BD55 played without problem (Gran Torino; Fast & Furious 2009; Transformers; Wanted). Was able to load Burn Notice and Kill Bill. Will take it back for an exchange tomorrow and hope that I just got a lemon this time round.

wow - as a guy expecting a 2010 on tuesday, that is very frightening.

is there already a firmware update available on this player? bit quick!?!?
post #188 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not on the one I picked up today, I tried to update it & it said it was at the latest firmware.

post #189 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Not on the one I picked up today, I tried to update it & it said it was at the latest firmware.

have you had any issues with it? thoughts on overall performance?
post #190 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

have you had any issues with it? thoughts on overall performance?

Well like I said I just picked it up today!!
I have watched a couple of movies & the only thing I've noticed is longer load times than the PS3.

post #191 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

No problem for me with Fast & Furious, Watchmen, or Gran Torino. Except for the one freeze with the deep for a few seconds (where the layer change would occur), every disc has played perfectly. Well except A Bug's Life. It locked up and when I looked at it it looked like a grease monkey had handled it. Cleaned it and it played fine. Guess I'll check more ahead of time.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #192 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

No problem for me with Fast & Furious, Watchmen, or Gran Torino. Except for the one freeze with the deep for a few seconds (where the layer change would occur), every disc has played perfectly. Well except A Bug's Life. It locked up and when I looked at it it looked like a grease monkey had handled it. Cleaned it and it played fine. Guess I'll check more ahead of time.

S~

Glad to hear (see?) that those discs play in your machine. Makes it more than likely that I just have a dud. Hopefully the dealer doesn't give me any grief at exchanging it.
post #193 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well like I said I just picked it up today!!
I have watched a couple of movies & the only thing I've noticed is longer load times than the PS3.

have you experienced the roughly 17 sec eject time when powered off?
post #194 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to hear (see?) that those discs play in your machine. Makes it more than likely that I just have a dud. Hopefully the dealer doesn't give me any grief at exchanging it.

he shouldn't it; if he gets huffy, remind him that you can address it via the credit card company. in the states, a sale is voidable if the product was not as described (ie working/new condition).
post #195 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

have you experienced the roughly 17 sec eject time when powered off?

Pushing the eject button with the power off takes about 10 seconds to open the tray

post #196 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I think it was put out before the first batch was available. That was the first message when I connected mine.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #197 of 912 Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pushing the eject button with the power off takes about 10 seconds to open the tray

when powered off? yours is about 7 seconds faster than teachsac's
post #198 of 912 Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Same here on unit I picked up. It said I had the latest right out of the box
post #199 of 912 Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

S~

On which disc did you experience the layer change? Also, was it a blu-ray or dvd? If it was a blu-ray then I have missed something. My understanding is that there are no layer changes or they are seamless on blu-rays. Can anyone confirm or add to my last statement. I have never experienced a layer change on any blu-ray that I have ever watched on any of the machines that I have owned.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #200 of 912 Old 08-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

On which disc did you experience the layer change? Also, was it a blu-ray or dvd? If it was a blu-ray then I have missed something. My understanding is that there are no layer changes or they are seamless on blu-rays. Can anyone confirm or add to my last statement. I have never experienced a layer change on any blu-ray that I have ever watched on any of the machines that I have owned.

Respectfully,
Willie

Technically it is supposed to be seamless. I believe it was jjarett who experienced the freeze, also. Go back a few pages. It was only on "The Deep."

S~

post #201 of 912 Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Any one know if the player outputs both 2 channel and multichannel simultaneously? What about HDMI and MCH simultaneously?
post #202 of 912 Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Sounds like these players are just as big a pile of crap as the Denon DVD players? I have the DVD-3930CI (a $1200 DVD player) and it can barely play DVDs... half the time it won't even play a DVD. I mean, seriously Denon... playing a DVD is that POS only purpose in life and it can't even do that?? I upgraded my HT to all Denon stuff a few years ago (DVD-3930CI, AVR-3803CI) and while the AVR has its glitches it is something I can live with. The DVD player on the other hand is something that causes me hairloss everytime I try to use the damn thing.

Anyways, sorry to go off topic... but back to the matter at hand... it doesn't seem like Denon has fixed the performance and stability issues with these bluray players... 10 seconds to eject a disc??? freezes??? 45 seconds to load a disc??? Sigh... maybe I should go back to Sony. Aside from the 2 second layer change on my old Sony DVD player, I never had a single lock up or crash...
post #203 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

Sounds like these players are just as big a pile of crap as the Denon DVD players? I have the DVD-3930CI (a $1200 DVD player) and it can barely play DVDs... half the time it won't even play a DVD. I mean, seriously Denon... playing a DVD is that POS only purpose in life and it can't even do that?? I upgraded my HT to all Denon stuff a few years ago (DVD-3930CI, AVR-3803CI) and while the AVR has its glitches it is something I can live with. The DVD player on the other hand is something that causes me hairloss everytime I try to use the damn thing.

Anyways, sorry to go off topic... but back to the matter at hand... it doesn't seem like Denon has fixed the performance and stability issues with these bluray players... 10 seconds to eject a disc??? freezes??? 45 seconds to load a disc??? Sigh... maybe I should go back to Sony. Aside from the 2 second layer change on my old Sony DVD player, I never had a single lock up or crash...

Having owned many other Blu-ray players from pioneer 05fd to Sammy 1500 The denon my have it glitches but its MUCH faster then then the pioneer see my times above and also more stable . I used to have to cross my fingers it would play a movie infront of friends over. Now with my Denon I pop in and play

So is Blu-ray perfect heck no but this player gets us alot closer then most
post #204 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having owned many other Blu-ray players from pioneer 05fd to Sammy 1500 The denon my have it glitches but its MUCH faster then then the pioneer see my times above and also more stable . I used to have to cross my fingers it would play a movie infront of friends over. Now with my Denon I pop in and play

So is Blu-ray perfect heck no but this player gets us alot closer then most

all players are having disc issues - from the lionized oppo to the $100 magnavox. The BD format itself is the real problem here.
post #205 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Well, for comparison sake, I too have a 3930CI. It and my AVR-3808CI have never once froze, crashed, or behaved badly in any way. The 3930 gets just as much work playing DVD's as it does SACD and DVD-Audio. But if my Denon's starting acting up this yours, I certainly would be considering other options all around.

Anyone know if the 2010 has reached Canadian shores yet and if the mark-up is rediculous?

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #206 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM

I'm very interested in this player as well. Comparing it to the Oppo, the Oppo is a nice price but this one will look better in my home theater, and my screen is only a 46" so if it's upscaling is decent then it will probably be good enough. The Canadian dollar is pretty good right now so the Oppo might be the way I end up going if this is marked up as much as our electronics usually are.
post #207 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Well, for comparison sake, I too have a 3930CI. It and my AVR-3808CI have never once froze, crashed, or behaved badly in any way. The 3930 gets just as much work playing DVD's as it does SACD and DVD-Audio. But if my Denon's starting acting up this yours, I certainly would be considering other options all around.

Anyone know if the 2010 has reached Canadian shores yet and if the mark-up is rediculous?

Once I got past the initial glitches of my AVR-3808CI, it was fine. Although, one feature that I bought it for doesn't work (Composite to HDMI scaling on a VCR).

The DVD-3930CI though is super unstable, slow, etc. Once I actually get a movie playing, I'm scared to even look at it wrong for fear of a lock up .

I know some have never had a single problem with it, so I don't know whats up... but mine can barely play DVDs . I shouldn't have to pay $500 to repair a $1200 DVD player after 6 months.
post #208 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAVHTx View Post

I'm very interested in this player as well. Comparing it to the Oppo, the Oppo is a nice price but this one will look better in my home theater, and my screen is only a 46" so if it's upscaling is decent then it will probably be good enough. The Canadian dollar is pretty good right now so the Oppo might be the way I end up going if this is marked up as much as our electronics usually are.

I should have my 2010 tomorrow night and will run it through the same synthetic tests to compare performance to the oppo. I will also give subjective commentary between the two. I paid about $80 less for the 2010 than the Oppo.
post #209 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
I currently have a BD60 connected to a Panasonc TC-P54V10 and my Denon AVR-4310CI receiver should arrive soon.

So, I'm wondering if I should swap my BD60 for the 2010CI ? I originally chose the BD60 to work well with the V10 but now, I'm wondering if I'd be better with the 2010 given that the 4310 will drive everything...

Any comments?

TIA

Pierre
post #210 of 912 Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I shouldn't have to pay $500 to repair a $1200 DVD player after 6 months.

Are you saying Denon wouldn't honor their 1 year (way too short) warranty?

"Pure-Direct" is my friend
Now where is the "LIVE" button?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page