joerod Blu ray Player Comparison Ratings Summer 2009 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 119
My Summer 2009 Blu ray comparison report is finally finished. Before anyone gets upset please keep in mind these are only my personal views and opinions. Everyone's set ups are different and everyone's results may vary. I judged the players on pic Q for Blu ray and SD dvd. I also based sound Q on analog and HDMI. Other criteria considered was build Q, features (including tweaking with picture adjustments) and the overall package. I own duplicate copies of a few titles (Blu ray & SD dvds) so switching back and forth on the fly is very easy. I used a few calibration/test discs but mainly concentrated on REAL time viewing. I started the comparison late last week and literally just finished it about 2 hours ago! This time I decided to go with a rating system. I am only listing the top 5 players but many other models like the Pioneer 23FD/320, Panny BD60, Sony 360, Denon 2500, PS3, JVC, LG (just to name a few I have "played" with) would end up in the mid to upper 80s. Which is actually good! The players that land in the 90s I consider to be reference models. So how did they compare overall?

Jumping right in I spent a lot of time working with the DVD-A1 and 09FD. I consider these the top reference players because they truly offer the entire package. The DVD-A1 was slightly better with both Analog sound and SD dvds. Not by much though and it was seriously like splitting hairs between them. I think most would be more than satisfied with either or. When it came to Blu ray playback this is where I was surprised. The 09FD and DVD-A1 were even most of the time but there were some circumstances where the 09FD showed better color gradations and or depth than the DVD-A1. I was able to confirm that the DVD-A1 passes upconverted 10 bit color whereas the Pioneer 09FD does 16 bit. Now most displays (depending on size and capability) will show nearly the same results. Both players put out a beautiful image and 99% of the owners of either would be more than happy. A huge bonus with these models is Dual HDMI outs. You really get the most optimal picture possible by being able to avoid any "detours" and go directly to your display. If you can avoid receivers/pre-pros and HDMI switchers you are assured to get the best image possible. In the near future I would suspect more models coming that will offer Dual HDMI outs. I still could not find fault with both players (or any in my top 5) when playing Blu ray. These top 2 separate themselves from the others with exceptional analog sound, top notch SD dvd playback and very impressive build qualities. The Denon almost weighs 42 pounds! The 09FD still weighs almost 31 pounds! Very impressive size for "just" being Blu ray players. Still, anyone could and should be happy and satisfied with any of my top 5. Perhaps even more impressive is the fact that the Oppo BDP-83 is in the top 5 class with a MSRP well below the others. Other models are the Sony S5000ES and the Denon 3800. These players still continue to provide very good Blu ray playback as well as SD dvds. Not to mention both have very good analog sound as well. And lastly both have above average build quality. So which player do I keep as my starter? I am leaning towards the 09FD but again both are exceptional and I am even rating the DVD-A1 higher. Not by much (1 point) though.

Reference Player Ratings:

Denon DVD-A1......-98
Pioneer 09FD .......-97
Sony S5000ES......-95
Denon 3800..........-94
Oppo BDP-83........-93

In conclusion... I really enjoyed doing this Summer Shootout/Comparison. I think I may have to start doing it twice a year. Maybe Summer and then Winter? I look forward to reviewing future players even though I truly believe we are at the pinnacle of pic Q. Imagine if they were to improve even by a small margin! Thanks for reading... And thanks for everyone's support.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

My Summer 2009 Blu ray comparison report is finally finished. Before anyone gets upset please keep in mind these are only my personal views and opinions. Everyone's set ups are different and everyone's results may vary. I judged the players on pic Q for Blu ray and SD dvd. I also based sound Q on analog and HDMI. Other criteria considered was build Q, features (including tweaking with picture adjustments) and the overall package. I own duplicate copies of a few titles (Blu ray & SD dvds) so switching back and forth on the fly is very easy. I used a few calibration/test discs but mainly concentrated on REAL time viewing. I started the comparison late last week and literally just finished it about 2 hours ago! This time I decided to go with a rating system. I am only listing the top 5 players but many other models like the Pioneer 23FD/320, Panny BD60, Sony 360, Denon 2500, PS3, JVC, LG (just to name a few I have "played" with) would end up in the mid to upper 80s. Which is actually good! The players that land in the 90s I consider to be reference models. So how did they compare overall?

Jumping right in I spent a lot of time working with the DVD-A1 and 09FD. I consider these the top reference players because they truly offer the entire package. The DVD-A1 was slightly better with both Analog sound and SD dvds. Not by much though and it was seriously like splitting hairs between them. I think most would be more than satisfied with either or. When it came to Blu ray playback this is where I was surprised. The 09FD and DVD-A1 were even most of the time but there were some circumstances where the 09FD showed better color gradations and or depth than the DVD-A1. I was able to confirm that the DVD-A1 passes upconverted 10 bit color whereas the Pioneer 09FD does 16 bit. Now most displays (depending on size and capability) will show nearly the same results. Both players put out a beautiful image and 99% of the owners of either would be more than happy. A huge bonus with these models is Dual HDMI outs. You really get the most optimal picture possible by being able to avoid any "detours" and go directly to your display. If you can avoid receivers/pre-pros and HDMI switchers you are assured to get the best image possible. In the near future I would suspect more models coming that will offer Dual HDMI outs. I still could not find fault with both players (or any in my top 5) when playing Blu ray. These top 2 separate themselves from the others with exceptional analog sound, top notch SD dvd playback and very impressive build qualities. The Denon almost weighs 42 pounds! The 09FD still weighs almost 31 pounds! Very impressive size for "just" being Blu ray players. Still, anyone could and should be happy and satisfied with any of my top 5. Perhaps even more impressive is the fact that the Oppo BDP-83 is in the top 5 class with a MSRP well below the others. Other models are the Sony S5000ES and the Denon 3800. These players still continue to provide very good Blu ray playback as well as SD dvds. Not to mention both have very good analog sound as well. And lastly both have above average build quality. So which player do I keep as my starter? I am leaning towards the 09FD but again both are exceptional and I am even rating the DVD-A1 higher. Not by much (1 point) though.

Reference Player Ratings:

Denon DVD-A1......-98
Pioneer 09FD .......-97
Sony S5000ES......-95
Denon 3800..........-94
Oppo BDP-83........-93

In conclusion... I really enjoyed doing this Summer Shootout/Comparison. I think I may have to start doing it twice a year. Maybe Summer and then Winter? I look forward to reviewing future players even though I truly believe we are at the pinnacle of pic Q. Imagine if they were to improve even by a small margin! Thanks for reading... And thanks for everyone's support.

Joerod,

Your the reason I bought the Pioneer 09, and I have been extremely pleased with the player. I also own the Oppo which I use in my bedroom set-up. I like the player alot, but love the Pioneer!

Your my favorite poster on AVS keep up your great work!

Thanks,
Mark
post #3 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark69 View Post

Joerod,

Your the reason I bought the Pioneer 09, and I have been extremely pleased with the player. I also own the Oppo which I use in my bedroom set-up. I like the player alot, but love the Pioneer!

Your my favorite poster on AVS keep up your great work!

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks. I appreciate it.

post #4 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Joe...
Could you tell any difference in sound quality by using the Denon link and HDMI?

I need a new player and its between the 09 and a Denon with Link (not this one though!)
post #5 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

For what you tried, I'd like to hear your opinions on bang for buck sometime perhaps elsewhere. I understand you listed the top five players here but I'm sure folks would also be interested as well.
post #6 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

For what you tried, I'd like to hear your opinions on bang for buck sometime perhaps elsewhere. I understand you listed the top five players here but I'm sure folks would also be interested as well.

I should do that. Good idea. If you read my reviews and takes I do mention some of the latest as the best in their price class.

post #7 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Thanks Joe...
Could you tell any difference in sound quality by using the Denon link and HDMI?

I need a new player and its between the 09 and a Denon with Link (not this one though!)

I have spent a lot of time (comparing) and haven't really done to much A/B between using the Link and not. I will do that this afternoon.

post #8 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have spent a lot of time (comparing) and haven't really done to much A/B between using the Link and not. I will do that this afternoon.

Thanks Joe!
post #9 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One point for $2300..... Tough decision.....

Joe thanks for all of your hard work comparing players!
post #10 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred View Post

One point for $2300..... Tough decision.....

Joe thanks for all of your hard work comparing players!

Your welcome.

post #11 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Is the player listing order pertain to performance or price points in descending order??

A thankless job but someone has to do it.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #12 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nice review Joe, great job, thanks. Deep down I figured the Pioneer 09 may squeak out ahead of the Denon A1 in some circumstances for the very fact you mention, 10 bit vs 16 bit which should by it's very nature aid in the smoothness of the color gradation when implemented properly.

post #13 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Is the player listing order pertain to performance or price points in descending order??

Didn't even notice that.

You get what you pay for...
post #14 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I seriously just noticed that. I did not do that on purpose.

post #15 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Nice review Joe, great job, thanks. Deep down I figured the Pioneer 09 may squeak out ahead of the Denon A1 in some circumstances for the very fact you mention, 10 bit vs 16 bit which should by it's very nature aid in the smoothness of the color gradation when implemented properly.

Still though, the Denon puts out one terrific image with Blu ray. Very hard to find any fault with it. It is that good.

post #16 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Joerod,

When reviewing the video qualities of each player was each connected directly to your display? It might be beneficial if you could split the scoring into video (HDMI) and sound for which at this point I'm assuming the scoring is applicable for the analog outs. Also, which system was used as reference for your reviews, the Onkyo/Emotiva or the Denon receiver?

Thanks.
post #17 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

Joerod,

When reviewing the video qualities of each player was each connected directly to your display? Also it might be beneficial if you could split the scoring into video (HDMI) and sound for which at this point I'm assuming the scoring is applicable for the analog outs.

Good point. I will have to consider that. The only ones that were allowed to go directly to my display were the models with Dual HDMI outs. I did just for fun test thim thru my receiver/pre-pro to. But in real life situations they are able to send one directly to the display and one to the receiver/pre-pro. Since they have this capability it os only fair to let them be scored by it.

post #18 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
joerod,

As always, great work.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #19 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

joerod,

As always, great work.

Thanks.

post #20 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I'll add my thanks to the list! Great job & I'm sure you enjoyed the time watching & listening to do the comparisons

ss9001

Steve
post #21 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did enjoy it but my head is spinning. I plan to go into sleep mode soon.

post #22 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM

There are models with dual HDMI out and i would prefer this so which models feature it ?

Does the Oppo have this feature ?
post #23 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

There are models with dual HDMI out and i would prefer this so which models feature it ?

No.

Juan

My HT
post #24 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Any chance you could post an image of each so one could see the differences between the players? Sort of like I did here... it's not hard at all to spot minor differences.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15210522
post #25 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Great job Joerod. Many thanks. Now I have the fraught decision of whether to go with the Oppo or the Pioneer.

Best Regards,

Paul
post #26 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Any chance you could post an image of each so one could see the differences between the players? Sort of like I did here... it's not hard at all to spot minor differences.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15210522

I actually have images that I have taken from each review. I will post some side by sides that I have but I don't plan to redo my comparison for that purpose. My wife would kill me! I will remember that for next time though.

post #27 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hayward View Post

Great job Joerod. Many thanks. Now I have the fraught decision of whether to go with the Oppo or the Pioneer.

Best Regards,

Paul

It's a tough call. I would look at features and how often you watch SD dvds. Also if you need analog for sound. The answer is in those categories. And thanks.

post #28 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

As of now the only models are the DVD-A1 and the 09FD. I would suspect Sony and a couple others may release more this Fall....

post #29 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

First one is from the 09FD and the second and third the DVD-A1...

To make it fair I removed the close up of the Denon. Until I can get the same exact shot frm the Pioneer that is.
LL
LL

post #30 of 220 Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 PM

I must be missing something, I checked all over your site and couldn't find it.

Where can I find the breakdown of your number rankings? e.g. how did you decide on them?

And, what are the criteria that are important to you and the criteria that aren't so important to you. Without any of this information, the review and even the numbers are so subjective that I honestly do not know if it has any relevance whatsoever to my own decision(s). Without this information, this is essentially "here are my personal opinions on which player I like most" but with more words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page