New Sony ES Player BDP-S1000ES - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1194 Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An update on the S760:

I have had a chance to watch some more Blu-ray discs (1080p/24 HDMI), The DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons and the two new Harry Potter Ultimate editions as well as the first four episodes of The Prisoner. The picture quality as seen on my PRO 111FD is fantastic, great colour, sharpness and black levels. The picture seems to have more depth and is more "film like" (smooth and sharp at the same time?) than the picture from my S500. I have the player set to standard with SBM set to on.

The player decodes the DDTrueHD and DTS HDMA soundtracks with no problems (at least according to the on screen indicator). It is set on "direct" and sends MPCM to my Yamaha 861 (used as preamp) and the sound quality is first rate.

The disc load times are much faster than the older S500 and response time (e.g. for chapter skip) seems faster as well. There have not been any operational "hiccups" or other glitches as of this point. There is no noticeable fan noise to speak of. The USB access for photos is light years faster than the Media Gallery in the Pioneer plasma and the photos get displayed in "dot by dot" screen resolution and look fantastic.

The quality of the machine seems to be a bit on the "flimsy" side at least as compared to the S500 and some of my previous DVD players, then again it only cost $450 CAD which was a lot less than the S500 was over two years ago. The price was a lot below the 999ES DVD players (~$2400 CAD 6 years ago!!!!) and the S7000 (~$1500 CAD when new), so I guess the performance is there, but the "tank like" build quality is gone as it is in most items for sale now. Then again, if it craps out in 1/5 the time of the 999ES it is even, based on the initial cost!!

The only quibble I have with the player is that there seems to be no way to get the player to show chapter times or chapter remaining times! The HP UE's show the chapter remaining time on screen when paused, but not accesable from the player itself.

So, all in all, the player is quite good, for the money. I do not know what "improvements" the US 1000ES has (the spec sheets are identical) it may be better parts in the analogue section (which I do not use anyway). As stated in my previous post I would have liked a 1000ES, but it is not available in Canada, only the S760, then again, it is cheaper and does seem identical.....

Cheers,
P.E.H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1194 Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the opinions on these players and your experiences.

So far so good with the 1000ES I have. I had time to do comparisons versus the PS3, LG390 and Panny BD30. The 1000ES has better PQ and AQ than those players. Loading times aren't as fast as the LG390 and PS3 but they are more than acceptable. The BD30 is the slowest of the four but I really don't have this as a personal priority . I have not experienced any issues yet with the 1000ES and that obviously is a good thing and my biggest priority. All the other players I listed which I evaluated didn't have issues or I wouldn't have bought them. On rare occasions they may have slightly hiccuped so to speak but nothing I consider major since the time I've had them. I just kept the FW up to date and played away whatever I wanted to watch.

I would like to get a cheaper price though and I'll continue to be on the lookout for one. I've had no experiences with players that have been rated top dog on the market but this player isn't as costly. Obviously folks will bring up the OPPO but that current player isn't on my list to want to purchase.
post #273 of 1194 Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I had time to do comparisons versus the PS3, LG390 and Panny BD30. The 1000ES has better PQ and AQ than those players.

In what way is the image better? I posted images (the iris was closed all the way down so they are rather dark) with my thoughts here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17201122

In this case I was comparing the 1000ES to the Pioneer. I have also posted comparison images for the PS3 and BD390 in the same manner.
post #274 of 1194 Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post

I do not know what "improvements" the US 1000ES has

The ES player is alot heavier. Check right corner:http://www.cybertheater.com/wp-conte...urayplayer.jpg
Seriously though whoever designed the remote should be shot. Why in the world are the arrow keys literally fused with the 4 keys around them. (you have to own one to know what I'm on about)
It takes all of my concentration and a lot of effort to hit just the arrows. I swear my fingers are not big or anything, it can't be just me? The "lower end" Sony models don't have this problem.
post #275 of 1194 Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

Seriously though whoever designed the remote should be shot. Why in the world are the arrow keys literally fused with the 4 keys around them. (you have to own one to know what I'm on about)
It takes all of my concentration and a lot of effort to hit just the arrows. I swear my fingers are not big or anything, it can't be just me? The "lower end" Sony models don't have this problem.

+1

The remote is a complete mess! Quite often I hit the wrong button, which usually makes the movie stop.

The arrangement of the functions on this remote is not logical at all and can't have been tested for practical use.

This also goes for other new and "simple" remotes from Sony. Even those with few buttons makes you uncertain when using them.
post #276 of 1194 Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

In what way is the image better? I posted images (the iris was closed all the way down so they are rather dark) with my thoughts here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17201122

In this case I was comparing the 1000ES to the Pioneer. I have also posted comparison images for the PS3 and BD390 in the same manner.

Guess I should pose the same question to whomever had the players I had and moved to something else!

A did side by side comparisons between players with some movies on BD that have as much conflict with opinions for quality as any. Some of those are as follows: the non Imax scenes in The Dark Knight, the whole Potter HBP BD, Master And Commander, Gladiator, etc. etc.

In efforts not to miscommunicate in describing exactly what I'm seeing and hearing, the S1000ES is the one I felt I wanted to utilize afterwards in every case with the BDs I tried. To not distort the trial comparisons because of intervention with settings, I left all that alone on all players except leaving SBM to "ON" which is the default on the S1000ES.

I cannot say my hearing and eyesight are top notch but certain titles reviewed whereby I have put trust in certain individuals over time has left me wanting to get as close to the quality as they are, especially with movies I really like. Those titles I listed above are amongst those and again certainly have had their share of conflict with viewers.

I listed what I have and folks know those players are locked into the same price range. Can I achieve better quality without changing my display? Well certainly it is cheaper to upgrade the player first. Goodness knows what I have offers good bang for the buck but I'm willing to try higher quality players first off and so far I think it has been worthwhile.
post #277 of 1194 Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKo2001 View Post

+1

The remote is a complete mess! Quite often I hit the wrong button, which usually makes the movie stop.

The arrangement of the functions on this remote is not logical at all and can't have been tested for practical use.

This also goes for other new and "simple" remotes from Sony. Even those with few buttons makes you uncertain when using them.

Guys are your fingers like sausages or what, I had never problem with this remote...!!!???
post #278 of 1194 Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzz16 View Post

Guys are your fingers like sausages or what, I had never problem with this remote...!!!???

I just try to be careful but let's just say the button configuration leaves alot to be desired. Thankfully it isn't a major thing I personally concern myself with, it is given low consideration versus most anything else. Some folks jump off a roof cause a player doesn't have an eject button on the remote!
post #279 of 1194 Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 AM

[quote=Some folks jump off a roof cause a player doesn't have an eject button on the remote! [/QUOTE]
thats a good one!!!!

I just wanted to say that a few days fingering the remote and now I can touch every button with my eyes closed imo it`s very nice remote
post #280 of 1194 Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM

720P:

A quick check of the spec sheets shows both models 760 and 1000ES weigh 3Kg...I also thought it might be a heavier (better?) build, but I guess not...maybe higher quality electronic parts (analogue output?) as all features and specs seem to be exactly the same. It would be nice to see if there are any measurable differences in the performance of two models.... Even the manuals are practically clones, except for a few paragraph spacing differences.

As to the remote, it is not bad but as noted by others the first time I used it for set up, the natural tendency was to press on the outer ring rather than on the inner "button" for the arrow directions...sometimes causing rather unwanted results. Otherwise not too bad and it does light up (at least the transport buttons and "ring" buttons). I actually use a SONY RM-VL1000 programmable remote, so it is no problem for me.

Enjoying my 760,
P.E.Hannon
post #281 of 1194 Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

phannon, apologies I guess sarcasm doesn't come as well when it is in writing. When I said "alot heavier" and pointed to the right corner I was referring to the ES sticker that the 760 "lacks" compared to the 1000. That sticker and few $$$ is the only difference between the players as far as I am concerned. The "alot heavier" also refers the cheap/flimsy quality of the player that even a tiny sticker would add to it's weight (appropriate smilie goes here). I hope it is clear. Glad you like the player. I tried using my old Sony dvd remote (which came with a properly player) but sadly it doesn't work. It has a five way joystick and a jog dial. Same goes for the dvd player. New player and new remote have none of the above. Cheapskates.
post #282 of 1194 Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Anyone have any idea about how the new BDP770 is compared to 760?
post #283 of 1194 Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM

720P, no apologies needed, when I opened your link, it was slow on my dial-up connection and I stopped it (I am cheap and dial-up is "free" for me!) so I did not see the whole picture....and strangely enough I was going to remark that maybe the ES badge was increasing the weight....so maybe in a way I did get your thoughts!!!!! I would really like to know what the differences are because like I noted, all the specs are exactly the same as far as I can see. Usually it is us Canadians who get to pay grossly more money for equal performance.......maybe this time Sony US got some ideas from SONY Canada! By the way, now that I have my S760 the Can price has dropped to 399 CA$, an even better buy. Of course, today I find out the replacement S770 player will have SACD capablity....AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH....I waited years to upgrade and within a few weeks a feature I really wanted is announced....it figures. I guess I will upgrade again before the year is out! Still, an impressive piece of equipment. Isn't this hobby, sorry, addiction...fun.

Cheers, P.E.H.
post #284 of 1194 Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKo2001 View Post

Anyone have any idea about how the new BDP770 is compared to 760?

For one I think the 770 will have SACD playback.
post #285 of 1194 Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

For one I think the 770 will have SACD playback.

So does my old pioneer dvd player, and it has DVD Audio as well (No Sony does or ever will), and it did cost less than $250.

phannon, don't worry I feel like a total idiot buying the old non 3d model just weeks before the new one is announced. As to not kill myself I find comfort in:
1) New player won't be out till summer
2) New player will cost more (I highly doubt it till then but a valid point in my mind right now)
3) I already have sacd/dvd audio in my pio dvd
4) I have zero wish and desire for 3d, actually I'm glad my player doesn't have it
5) Build quality (my biggest issue with new Sony) doesn't look one bit better in the new player
6) The remote actually looks like the one from the lower end models (although I doubt they will be using the one I saw in the video, doesn't make sense as they already have a better remote)
7) I have no interest in streaming (streaming = low quality in my book)
post #286 of 1194 Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
hopefully the new models will get sony to get realistic about the pricing for the 1000es and sell it at a price point that makes it a realistic value - say $249.
post #287 of 1194 Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

hopefully the new models will get sony to get realistic about the pricing for the 1000es and sell it at a price point that makes it a realistic value - say $249.

Ouch!

Joerod has it is a great player considering what he compared it with and their respective prices, he continues to utilize it, and anything I had doesn't compare (PS3, Panny BD30, LG BD390). I added the Pioneer 320 rather recently and it is the closest but the LG390 along with the PS3 and the Panny BD30lag behind it for PQ with BDs (at least without any picture setting adjustments) and also they lag behind it for AQ.

It is just about dead even with the Denon 2010CI and while it is also overpriced at Best Buy for $699, at least I'd expect a similar price based on results.

By the way, how much time did you spend with the S1000ES???
post #288 of 1194 Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Ouch!

Joerod has it is a great player considering what he compared it with and their respective prices, he continues to utilize it, and anything I had doesn't compare (PS3, Panny BD30, LG BD390). I added the Pioneer 320 rather recently and it is the closest but the LG390 along with the PS3 and the Panny BD30lag behind it for PQ with BDs (at least without any picture setting adjustments) and also they lag behind it for AQ.

It is just about dead even with the Denon 2010CI and while it is also overpriced at Best Buy for $699, at least I'd expect a similar price based on results.

By the way, how much time did you spend with the S1000ES???

I am probably being too harsh, it probably could sell for $299

I had it for three or four days from recollection - been a few months.

here's my take - it's less critical of the player and moreso of the price: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17456588
post #289 of 1194 Old 02-20-2010, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Purchased my first one from the Sony store at $399CA to replace my BDP-S560. First item,that no one has mentioned:they left an eject button on the remote! Newer models of Sony Blu-rays have left it off which is a pain in the butt! The speed of the 760 is far superior to the 560. Doing BD live on the 560 took forrrreeevvverrrr! 760 - almost instantaneous! Picture quality - superb! Ordered another for the wife to replace the 560 I gave her - why? She doesn't like the slowness either, but is quite impressed with the 760's performance speeds. The 560 will be deligated to the basement system. The new 760 - was $299CA on sale, now back up to $349CA. Replaced all the older systems in the house with BDP-S360s for $149. Still a great little performer for the price and made great gifts to my grownup kids last year.

I saw someone mention the BDP-S760 will play PAL DVD's? How is this done?

Never mind - they're currently selling an AVLogic V0-360KHD in Canada at $49 that does PAL into a NTSC system. Got mine yesterday - definitely does play PAL DVDs.
post #290 of 1194 Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 AM

Is it now worth it???
post #291 of 1194 Old 04-16-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad the Sony US finally decided to give you the same break we've had in Canada for a few months. Paid $399 for my first and $299 for my second. Throw an 8 Gig Flash drive in the Back USB port and you'll have lightning speed!
Plus a great Blu-Ray player!
post #292 of 1194 Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It is waaaaaaay worth it at that price. I am still using mine.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #293 of 1194 Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

It is waaaaaaay worth it at that price. I am still using mine.

i picked up an open box for $199 yesterday. that said, i might take it back for a 570 or 470. the dvd upconversion might not be worth the trade-off for 3d in a year or so.
post #294 of 1194 Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Read the quotes from Mr Cameron - The Blu-ray version of Avatar is FAR SUPERIOR to the 3D with it's degradation of the movie from both filtering, eye glasses and how the camera imaging was done. 3D is gimmick, and will always be gimmick - give me a great Blu-ray playback unit like the Sony BDP-S760 (BDP-S1000ES in USA) any day! And a Blu-ray any day - what's great about 3D - it's forcing the prices down on the 2D units!
post #295 of 1194 Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Glad the Sony US finally decided to give you the same break we've had in Canada for a few months. Paid $399 for my first and $299 for my second. Throw an 8 Gig Flash drive in the Back USB port and you'll have lightning speed!

p5browne,

How does 8gb flash drive add speed to the player?

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #296 of 1194 Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Cache Memory! Info stored and retrieved off a Flashstick is faster than removing off the DVD. Like Cache memory on a Computer is faster than standard memory. A chunk of program info is plunked into the Cache Memory that in turn can feed the CPU at greater speed. Someone may have a better explanation of this than I do.
post #297 of 1194 Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
A 1000ES for 199!!! What's the world coming to...?

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #298 of 1194 Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Throw an 8 Gig Flash drive in the Back USB port and you'll have lightning speed!

Quote:

Cache Memory! Info stored and retrieved off a Flashstick is faster than removing off the DVD. Like Cache memory on a Computer is faster than standard memory. A chunk of program info is plunked into the Cache Memory that in turn can feed the CPU at greater speed. Someone may have a better explanation of this than I do.

p5browne,

I'm pretty sure that the utilization of memory on blu-ray players is not the same as the memory usage on blu-ray players.

Several owners of the Pioneer BDP-51FD increased memory capacity on their players hoping that a larger capacity memory card would speed up the player, but it did not.

The memory for blu-ray players is for storage of BD Live content only. This only allows you to possibly access the BD Live content that was previously stored a little faster the next time you insert a previous viewed blu-ray with BD Live content. The larger memory card is only allowing you to store more BD Live content, which at some point will become full and require you to erase its persistent storage. The handling of BD Live content is the same across players. Increased capacity doesn’t qualify as an overall speed boost.

If increasing overall speed was as simple as increasing the memory capacity in the player, then all manufacturers would do this considering their cost for a memory card.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #299 of 1194 Old 04-21-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

joerod,

The world is coming to its senses. I think we are reaching or have reached the point of diminishing return are blu-ray (1080p) and DVD PQ and audio as people migrate over to HDMI compatible AVRs and Pre/Pros. I think what's going to separate players going forward are features and the value a person puts on those features. It's amazing what people will pay for perceived value.

All the players I own are in use and the biggest differentiator between them all is their respective features and not necessarily PQ or AQ.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #300 of 1194 Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, to be fair, its pricing at $700 was nonsensical to begin with. That was my singular complaint about the player. It made sense at $350 or $300. at under $200, i definitely jumped on it. That said, I was comparing it to the 570 I am testing and I wonder how many folks would choose the 1000es over the 570 today.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Blu Ray Player 3d Black , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page