post #721 of 1195 Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

...Enjoy your new unit. I use the analog outs and, contrary to some of the purists here, I think they're fine.

If this is true, you must have a terrible sounding receiver or processor in its digital domain, both optical and coaxial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I received mine yesterday and so far it looks like Joe's review is right on the money. I only had it for a day but so far I am so impressed with the PQ of this player. Picture is so crisp, sharp and dimensional, you can't help but say WOW! Some might say this is unnatural not film like, but in my book the final frontier is getting a picture that is so real, it gives you that "looking through the window feeling". Sony gets me closer to that than any player ever before. So far I prefer it over my both Oppo-BDP83 and Sony's own S570. Start up speed and layer changes are on the slow side. The combination of my 115" Da-lite screen, Marantz VP15S1 and this player is just to die for! I watched "The International" last night and the PQ is just mesmerizing. SD DVD upconversion is as good as my Oppo and that I did not expect. Next I am going to focus on audio and hope it would be as good as my old Pioneer 51FD. I hope I won't encounter any playback or operational issues and this become I spoke too soon thing... I don't want to let go of this player. Thanks Joe for this rare find!! $180, WOW!! If it wasn't for the ES 5 year warranty, I would have bought a second one as a backup.

Alex,

I'm glad you are thoroughly enjoying the Sony. I own the Sony as well as the Oppo and a Pioneer 23FD and when I hear people raving about the PQ of the Sony I always have to do a quick viewing session and I am just not seeing a discernable difference amongst my players and I really want to see it. In my viewing sessions the Sony picture looks a little processed (flat) compared to the Oppo and Pioneer and that is the reason why the Sony has been relegated to the guess bedroom, which was its original destination. I guess what is processed in my opinion may be what some are calling crisp and sharp and the Sony seems to exaggerate this IMO. I do expect a little crispness and sharpness, but the Sony makes the picture look almost flat IMO. I'm one of those who might say this is unnatural not film like. The Sony is fine player, but for my viewing pleasure it would be my 3rd choice and maybe 2nd choice for the animated stuff, which may benefit from its sharpness. I always equated that "looking through the window feeling" as being a natural look and on my Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD the Sony just wasn't delivering this.

However, we as viewers place different emphasis on which attributes of a player are most important to us with no right or wrong answer.

Enjoy the movie.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #723 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Alex,

I'm glad you are thoroughly enjoying the Sony. I own the Sony as well as the Oppo and a Pioneer 23FD and when I hear people raving about the PQ of the Sony I always have to do a quick viewing session and I am just not seeing a discernable difference amongst my players and I really want to see it. In my viewing sessions the Sony picture looks a little processed (flat) compared to the Oppo and Pioneer and that is the reason why the Sony has been relegated to the guess bedroom, which was its original destination. I guess what is processed in my opinion may be what some are calling “crisp and sharp” and the Sony seems to exaggerate this IMO. I do expect a little crispness and sharpness, but the Sony makes the picture look almost flat IMO. I’m one of those who “might say this is unnatural not film like”. The Sony is fine player, but for my viewing pleasure it would be my 3rd choice and maybe 2nd choice for the animated stuff, which may benefit from its sharpness. I always equated that "looking through the window feeling" as being a natural look and on my Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD the Sony just wasn’t delivering this.

However, we as viewers place different emphasis on which attributes of a player are most important to us with no right or wrong answer.

Enjoy the movie.

Willie

If you find the Sony's image looking "processed" you might try to dial the HD enhancer down. With my Panasonic AE4000 (detail clarity @ +2), I also find the image from the Sony a bit unnatural. Setting the HD enhancer down a click or two make the image perfect to my liking. With my Marantz VP15S1, with the Sony's picture setting at default looks perfect. I find the image not flat or 2D but rather I find the image to have greater depth, clarity and dimensionality hence the looking through the window expression. Still more viewing to do...I will compare it again to the Oppo this weekend.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #724 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you find the Sony's image looking "processed" you might try to dial the HD enhancer down. With my Panasonic AE4000 (detail clarity @ +2), I also find the image from the Sony a bit unnatural. Setting the HD enhancer down a click or two make the image perfect to my liking. With my Marantz VP15S1, with the Sony's picture setting at default looks perfect. I find the image not flat or 2D but rather I find the image to have greater depth, clarity and dimensionality hence the looking through the window expression. Still more viewing to do...I will compare it again to the Oppo this weekend.

Alex,

I'm going to save your comment about "Setting the HD enhancer down a click or two" in the event the Sony find its way into my home theater setup.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #725 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
I put the HD enacher all the way up and it was too sparkly!
post #726 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I found a review of the Sony S760 (same unit as the 1000ES) on this British AV forum

>>> http://www.avforums.com/review/Sony-...er-Review.html

The Sony 1000ES is only player to receive reference status in HD picture quality. Very interesting read especially if you want to find out more about the HD Reality Enhancer, Super Bit Mapping and Smoothing features.

post #727 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

I put the HD enacher all the way up and it was too sparkly!

I would leave the HD enhancer at default or lower.

post #728 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I found a review of the Sony S760 (same unit as the 1000ES) on this British AV forum

...Very interesting read...

Many thanks for posting this! Hey does everybody else's menu look like the image there (the XMB menu)? Mine doesn't (maybe I will post a pic).
post #729 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I would leave the HD enhancer at default or lower.

I left it at default and it looks better
post #730 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sony 1000ES is only player to receive reference status in HD picture quality. Very interesting read especially if you want to find out more about the HD Reality Enhancer, Super Bit Mapping and Smoothing features.

Alex,

Thanks for the link and it was a very good read. As far as I can tell all of my players have "reference quality" video, whatever that is. He essentially talked up the features he liked and kind of glossed over some of the players shortcomings. So his awarding of this player as having reference quality video stems around a feature (Smoothing) that he likes and only makes a subtle difference if even detected.

I think it is a very good player and "reference" quality video is in the eyes of the viewer.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #731 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Very interesting read especially if you want to find out more about the HD Reality Enhancer, Super Bit Mapping and Smoothing features.

I posted a few comparison images getting close to a year ago

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17201122

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #732 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDpalooza View Post

I am extremely happy with the performance of my 1000ES but have noticed that it does not handle scratched or scuffed DVDs so well. I rent from Blockbuster online and have encountered a couple of discs which causes complete freezeups and or bad pixelation, whereas my Pioneers 320 and 23FD plow thru with only a hiccup at best.

Knock on wood, but in the 3 or 4 months i have owned this, not a single problem playing any NetFlix rentals.
And i think most of us know how their DVDs look!
post #733 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknER1 View Post

Knock on wood, but in the 3 or 4 months i have owned this, not a single problem playing any NetFlix rentals.
And i think most of us know how their DVDs look!

This is similar to my findings. True fro DVD-Rs too.
post #734 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

This is similar to my findings. True fro DVD-Rs too.

Yes, have already played quite a few dvd-r's home brewed and have not had a single problem...
Chris
post #735 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did anyone compared the S1000es and the Panasonic DMP-BD85? If so which one is better and why?
post #736 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alex,

I think it is a very good player and "reference" quality video is in the eyes of the viewer.

Willie

True to that. I just spent a few hours with this player and while I find the PQ to be excellent, I find the audio quality is NOT as good as the Oppo.

post #737 of 1195 Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:

True to that. I just spent a few hours with this player and while I find the PQ to be excellent, I find the audio quality is NOT as good as the Oppo.

I am assuming the people complaining about the audio are using the analog outs? Should be no difference if bitstreaming...
C
post #738 of 1195 Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also have a Marantz VP15S1 and a Sony 1000ES but I can't seem to find the HD Enhancer in my manual. Where is it?
post #739 of 1195 Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

I also have a Marantz VP15S1 and a Sony 1000ES but I can't seem to find the HD Enhancer in my manual. Where is it?

During playback click Options on the Sony then Video Settings.

post #740 of 1195 Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

During playback click Options on the Sony then Video Settings.

Thanks!
post #741 of 1195 Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems like the Brits love this player more than we do. Another review of S760/S100ES. Not as detailed as others though.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-646841/review

post #742 of 1195 Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems like the Brits love this player more than we do. Another review of S760/S100ES. Not as detailed as others though.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-646841/review

Alex,

It's a solid player especially at the current price. Unfortunately, the Brits don't have access to our pricing or should I say Vanns.com.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #743 of 1195 Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Willie,

I have decided to return the Oppo-83 as I fail to see what it brings to the table over the Sony, especially when there is such a price difference and the Oppo is probably near the end of it's life cycle. I paid full MSRP for it. I will be buying a Pioneer 320 or Denon 2010CI at the current blowout prices with the proceed. I will surely buy an Oppo again when the price is right and streaming feature is added. What is your take on the Pio and the Denon on SD DVD playback? So far out of 6 blu-ray players I have owned, I see little (imaginary) to no difference in picture quality when source is Blu-ray @1080p/24. Thanks.

post #744 of 1195 Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Willie,

I have decided to return the Oppo-83 as I fail to see what it brings to the table over the Sony, especially when there is such a price difference and the Oppo is probably near the end of it's life cycle. I paid full MSRP for it. I will be buying a Pioneer 320 or Denon 2010CI at the current blowout prices with the proceed. I will surely buy an Oppo again when the price is right and streaming feature is added. What is your take on the Pio and the Denon on SD DVD playback? So far out of 6 blu-ray players I have owned, I see little (imaginary) to no difference in picture quality when source is Blu-ray @1080p/24. Thanks.

Alex,

Unless you need the SACD and DVD-A support then returning the Oppo is a good decision especially as you state it is probably nearing its life cycle. I have no experience with the Denon, but in my opinion the Pioneer is solid on DVDs and $100+ cheaper than the Denon. The Pioneers are becoming scarce and 6th Ave presently has them in stock. I'm not seeing a discernable differnce in DVD playback on the last generation of players.

If you decide on the Pioneer there is a coupon code for 6th Ave. that knocks a few dollars off the price. I purchased one of my two 320s from 6th Ave.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #745 of 1195 Old 08-01-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Willie.

post #746 of 1195 Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

If you decide on the Pioneer there is a coupon code for 6th Ave. that knocks a few dollars off the price. I purchased one of my two 320s from 6th Ave.

Ebates will give you 1.5% back. That help?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #747 of 1195 Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Alex,

Unless you need the SACD and DVD-A support then returning the Oppo is a good decision especially as you state it is probably nearing its life cycle. I have no experience with the Denon, but in my opinion the Pioneer is solid on DVDs and $100+ cheaper than the Denon. The Pioneers are becoming scarce and 6th Ave presently has them in stock. I'm not seeing a discernable differnce in DVD playback on the last generation of players.

Willie

Use AFL4COUPON
post #748 of 1195 Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 PM
emf

How to get video thru HDMI?

Just got this player from Vann's. Beautiful gold plated analog outs. But this player seems to insist on component and refuses to output video thru HDMI. This is a minor thing except that 1080p24 requires HDMI.
post #749 of 1195 Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The display has to be turned on before attempting this setting.
post #750 of 1195 Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post

How to get video thru HDMI?

Just got this player from Vann's. Beautiful gold plated analog outs. But this player seems to insist on component and refuses to output video thru HDMI. This is a minor thing except that 1080p24 requires HDMI.

Press the Home key on the remote and go to the Setup Screen, then select Video Settings then scroll down to "Output Video Format" and select HDMI.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Blu Ray Player 3d Black , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page