New Sony ES Player BDP-S1000ES - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1195 Old 04-13-2014, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know the value. I love that it has a headphone input. Movies look great on my XBR960.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1195 Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the equivalent European model BDP-S760....love the illuminated Remote Control. Only negative comment would be my player can be a little noisy occasionally with some discs (mechanical) which is very annoying.
post #1173 of 1195 Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks for responding. I have or have had 2 Pioneer's, bdp-05, bdp-23, the Oppo bdp-83 & bdp-103, and a Panasonic bd-605 ( same as the bd-60 ).
Is the PQ better on the s1000es than any of these above? Since the Sony is 5 years old Im probally sure it may lack a few AQ formats compared to
a new display.

Ive got some stuff
post #1174 of 1195 Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I couldn't say for sure if the Sony has better PQ than the models listed above. I'm viewing on a 60 inch display so differences are hard to spot...to me anyway. I have also owned a Sony BDP-S350, Sony BDP-S370, Panasonic DMP-BD30, Samsung BD-C6900 and the Pioneer BDP-51FD. The Pioneer sounds better on music CD's than all the other units but as far as PQ goes any differences are not huge....at least on my 60" display- to my eyes. Results could be vastly different if using on a large screen and projector set up. I do like the overall ergonomics of the unit, the way it looks and as already mentioned, the illuminated remote control. I imagine Sony has made improvements on this player with the more recent top-of-the line BDP-S790. I'm happy enough with the 760 and it will tide me over nicely until 4K technology arrives. I don't plan on buying any more bluray players- instead I'm saving my $$$ for a 4K display.
Here's a review of the UK model...
http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-bdp-s760-blu-ray-disc-player-review.100
post #1175 of 1195 Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

THanks for the info above. I have read the new or newer should I say s790 can be buggy but when working properly is a nice player.
I think in this day and age with bluray players the actual picture a player puts out is fairly even across the board with other players.
It seems when audio and features come into play and the ability to function correctly thats when the differences become more apparent.
Looking for a player for my mom thats not a newer one, she doesnt need all that stuff just a player that plays bluray without problems.

Ive got some stuff
post #1176 of 1195 Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Thanks for responding. I have or have had 2 Pioneer's, bdp-05, bdp-23, the Oppo bdp-83 & bdp-103, and a Panasonic bd-605 ( same as the bd-60 ).
Is the PQ better on the s1000es than any of these above? Since the Sony is 5 years old Im probally sure it may lack a few AQ formats compared to
a new display.

my $.02 . . background . . a long time audio/video addict . . have a Sony BDP-S350, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Panasonic DMP-BD55
What I like about the Sony S1000ES (no particular order except when I think of them):
1. 5 year warranty (says something about Sony's confidence in the player)
2. reliable - no problems or glitches
3. solidly built - looks great
4. excellent video and audio performance - very high ratings from pro testers/reviewers
5. flexible connectors (lots of different audio & video connections available, unlike stripped newer players)
6. no cinavia drm corruption in the firmware
7. backlit remote
8. plays absolutely anything you throw at it . .
9. good DVD upconversion (I think my Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player is better, but I hardly ever watch DVDs anymore anyway).
10. built-in wi-fi

What it doesn't do:
No 3D. No streaming off the internet. No video playback off the USB connection. You have to pop your own popcorn . . smile.gif

I use it strictly for playing 2D blu-rays - and it has been absolutely superb!
baron2 likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #1177 of 1195 Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

my $.02 . . background . . a long time audio/video addict . . have a Sony BDP-S350, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Panasonic DMP-BD55
What I like about the Sony S1000ES (no particular order except when I think of them):
1. 5 year warranty (says something about Sony's confidence in the player)
2. reliable - no problems or glitches
3. solidly built - looks great
4. excellent video and audio performance - very high ratings from pro testers/reviewers
5. flexible connectors (lots of different audio & video connections available, unlike stripped newer players)
6. no cinavia drm corruption in the firmware
7. backlit remote
8. plays absolutely anything you throw at it . .
9. good DVD upconversion (I think my Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player is better, but I hardly ever watch DVDs anymore anyway).

What it doesn't do:
No 3D. No streaming off the internet. No video playback off the USB connection. You have to pop your own popcorn . . smile.gif

I use it strictly for playing 2D blu-rays - and it has been absolutely superb!

Couldn't have put it better myself. My HD XA2 does a better jop upconverting dvd's. Rich, are there any HD DVD's you don't want ? I would be happy to take them.
post #1178 of 1195 Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Great information,thanks guys I appreciate it.

Ive got some stuff
post #1179 of 1195 Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what a good price for one in great shape?

Ive got some stuff
post #1180 of 1195 Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Anyone know what a good price for one in great shape?

I paid $80 for my first one (a display unit from BestBuy they were clearing out) & about $100 for a 2nd off EBay.
I expect if you can pick up a mint condition one for under $150 total shipped, you've done OK. Be sure it has the correct remote (model #RMT-B106A, with the volume control for the headphone jack).
I keep a 8gb USB thumb drive for BD-Live plugged into the rear. The Kingston Data Traveler Micro fits nicely - flush with the back when fully inserted (of course getting it back out if needed is tricky . .). I grabbed a couple when they were on sale (around $8 as I recall). Check Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-8GB-DataTraveler-DTMCK/dp/B007V9SNNY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397600918&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+data+traveler+micro+8gb
baron2 likes this.

post #1181 of 1195 Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How is the loading speed on this player compare to the newer players? Has firmware upates improved speed?
post #1182 of 1195 Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

How is the loading speed on this player compare to the newer players? Has firmware upates improved speed?

Since I do not own a player any newer than this one, I can't answer. I assume newer players must load faster. I've never noticed faster load speeds as the result of a firmware update, but I honestly never paid much attention either. I've never been too concerned about a few extra seconds initially loading a 2+ hour movie, so the load speed hasn't been a concern for me.

post #1183 of 1195 Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Very fast, my player has also never had a firmware update. It plays the latest blu rays with no problem. You can also turn off the display.
baron2 likes this.
post #1184 of 1195 Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Well, my Sony S1000ES encountered the first disc ever that it couldn't play; and it's not even a blu ray but a DVD -- 47 Ronin DVD from Netflix. eek.gif

When I put it in, S1000ES makes some spinning noise and spits out a message saying it cannot play the disc. I got concerned and tested with other DVDs which it played fine.

I did a little research and it seems 47 Ronin is one of a few DVDs that contain Cinavia. I am thinking Cinavia is the culprit. mad.gif

I am of the camp that follows don't fix what isn't broken and haven't updated the firmware. Do I have any options other than to update the firmware to enable playback of 47 Ronin?
post #1185 of 1195 Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM

I just watched 47 Ronin last week, it sucked. My suggestion, watch it on Blu Ray. I did not have any problems.
post #1186 of 1195 Old 05-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Well, my Sony S1000ES encountered the first disc ever that it couldn't play; and it's not even a blu ray but a DVD -- 47 Ronin DVD from Netflix. eek.gif

When I put it in, S1000ES makes some spinning noise and spits out a message saying it cannot play the disc. I got concerned and tested with other DVDs which it played fine.

I did a little research and it seems 47 Ronin is one of a few DVDs that contain Cinavia. I am thinking Cinavia is the culprit. mad.gif

I am of the camp that follows don't fix what isn't broken and haven't updated the firmware. Do I have any options other than to update the firmware to enable playback of 47 Ronin?

It is highly unlikely that cinavia has anything to do with your S1000es & a 47 Ronin DVD for a couple of reasons:
1. cinavia does not prevent a player from playing a title - it just throws a message and mutes the audio after about 20 minutes IF the title has a soundtrack corrupted with the cinavia signal AND the player has firmware with cinavia programming forced into it and activated.
2. the S1000ES has absolutely no idea what cinavia is . . and plays all cinavia corrupted titles just fine

It is far more likely that your Netflix DVD disc is dirty, defective or damaged. Try cleaning it & if that does not solve the problem, have Netflix send you a new one and try again.

post #1187 of 1195 Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just fyi, I played the UK Universal bluray last night and zero issues.
post #1188 of 1195 Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:

It is far more likely that your Netflix DVD disc is dirty, defective or damaged. Try cleaning it & if that does not solve the problem, have Netflix send you a new one and try again.

I checked the DVD and the playing side is immaculate. I've also tested it on three other blu ray players and it played fine. If Cinavia is not likely the cause of the problem then what is? Curiouser and curiouser...

Man, I hope my S1000ES isn't dying.
post #1189 of 1195 Old 05-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I checked the DVD and the playing side is immaculate. I've also tested it on three other blu ray players and it played fine. If Cinavia is not likely the cause of the problem then what is? Curiouser and curiouser...

Man, I hope my S1000ES isn't dying.

The only other idea is to update the firmware to the most current release. If your player is still within its 5 year warranty, Sony will mail you a firmware update disc if you ask.

post #1190 of 1195 Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

The only other idea is to update the firmware to the most current release. If your player is still within its 5 year warranty, Sony will mail you a firmware update disc if you ask.

That did the trick. Updated to latest firmware (version 14) and 47 Ronin DVD played like it should. I can see why a blu ray player would need to be updated to handle new blu rays with their constantly updated security features but I never thought a blu ray player would need to update to play relatively simple DVD. Live and learn.
post #1191 of 1195 Old 05-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That did the trick. Updated to latest firmware (version 14) and 47 Ronin DVD played like it should. I can see why a blu ray player would need to be updated to handle new blu rays with their constantly updated security features but I never thought a blu ray player would need to update to play relatively simple DVD. Live and learn.

Yeah - it does seem strange - but the movie studios are so focused on their DRM obsession that they throw customer satisfaction with their products under the bus. I expect this DVD has some strange copy protection in it that the old Sony firmware was gagging on. It surely IS annoying as legitimate paying customers to have to suffer with the stuff the movie studios jam into their products, knowing the real thieves aren't even slowed down as a result . . .
But . . glad the firmware update worked. I've been running firmware #014 on my S1000ES since it came available with excellent performance, so hopefully it will work consistently for you as well.
Apostate likes this.

post #1192 of 1195 Old 05-13-2014, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why not buy a cheap dedicated DVD player and keep the Sony BDP-S1000ES only for bluray disc playback...save a bit of wear and tear on the machine and may prolong it's life. Also seems a bit of a waste viewing DVD's on a player that produces such excellent results with bluray. I have the Euro equivalent of this player which is actually called the BDP-S760...no ES badge but the player is identical I believe.
post #1193 of 1195 Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

Why not buy a cheap dedicated DVD player and keep the Sony BDP-S1000ES only for bluray disc playback...save a bit of wear and tear on the machine and may prolong it's life. Also seems a bit of a waste viewing DVD's on a player that produces such excellent results with bluray. I have the Euro equivalent of this player which is actually called the BDP-S760...no ES badge but the player is identical I believe.

Yup, it looks same. Well, I bought S1000ES expecting it to play both blu rays and DVDs superbly and reliably -- and it has done so for many years. It being not able to play 47 Ronin DVD was a complete shock -- it has had played everything under the sun so it was an absolute surprise that it couldn't play, of all things, a DVD.

S1000ES plays DVDs brilliantly. It's not a waste at all. I got it to squeeze every last bit of picture out of DVD -- along with stunning blu ray playback, of course.

I fear a cheap dedicated DVD player would be a serious letdown in terms of picture quality and upconversion. I am not going to pay for another machine only to settle for less performance. Now that would be a waste.
post #1194 of 1195 Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yup, it looks same. Well, I bought S1000ES expecting it to play both blu rays and DVDs superbly and reliably -- and it has done so for many years. It being not able to play 47 Ronin DVD was a complete shock -- it has had played everything under the sun so it was an absolute surprise that it couldn't play, of all things, a DVD.

S1000ES plays DVDs brilliantly. It's not a waste at all. I got it to squeeze every last bit of picture out of DVD -- along with stunning blu ray playback, of course.

I fear a cheap dedicated DVD player would be a serious letdown in terms of picture quality and upconversion. I am not going to pay for another machine only to settle for less performance. Now that would be a waste.

I rarely watch DVDs any more . . but when I do . . my Toshiba HD-A35 does a great job upconverting them to 1080p. I don't use my S1000ES for DVDs.

post #1195 of 1195 Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
I have the equivalent European model BDP-S760....love the illuminated Remote Control. Only negative comment would be my player can be a little noisy occasionally with some discs (mechanical) which is very annoying.

My Sony BDP-760 is quiet this is a first class player both sound & picture are excellent better than the Oppo 103
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Blu Ray Player 3d Black , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page