New Sony ES Player BDP-S1000ES - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1231 of 1247 Old 02-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserPass View Post
Sounds good, mostly. Looked up that movie on Amazon and I guess I'm a little disappointed that it couldn't play that movie considering that that Bluray is listed as all regions.

My headphones are 50 ohm Sennheiser 598s, if that helps guessing whether or not that 1/4 inch jack would pump enough juice for them. For what it's worth, these cans sound great un-amped using my laptops 3.5 mm jack.

Thanks. If anyone else has anything at all to add at all, I'd love to hear.
I'm sure it's not the players fault, regarding Leon. It played pulp fiction french release with no issues. Man I want those 598's. To much money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1247 Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would anyone mind testing the 1/4 inch jack? My 598s are 50 ohms.
post #1233 of 1247 Old 02-15-2016, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My Sony BDP-S1000ES has been my primary player ever since I got it from Best Buy on closeout a number of years ago.
The player will not win any awards for booting up or loading blu-rays quickly when compared with newer models designed to fire up fast, but I have never found it to be an issue. The player has a wide variety of audio and video connection options and the video and audio quality is excellent. The player has been 100% reliable for me. I am a movie addict and this player has never failed to play anything I have thrown at it. This includes blu-rays with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos audio with complex seamless branching used. Some folks whine about it not getting frequent firmware updates anymore. Well, since it works perfectly fine & plays everything being released, it doesn't need constant firmware updates.
This player is also free of cinavia in all firmware versions.
The front 1/4" headphone jack output connection works fine.
I confess that I rarely use the headphone jacks on the player, but I HAVE used my Koss KTXPro1, Koss portaPro Classic & my Sony MDR-V6 headphones via this connection and they all work just fine driven directly off the player.
Be forewarned, however, that there is no volume control on the face of the player - the volume control for the headphone jack is on the remote control for this player, so be sure you get the correct remote (model #RMT-B106A).
Hope that helps.

A long-time audio/video addict!

post #1234 of 1247 Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This player is starting to have issues for me. Sometimes it will say disc unreadable, and have to eject and reinsert to work.

For some reason it wont play Contagion at all anymore. It had played it in the past.

Not sure if its even worth trying to sell on ebay.
post #1235 of 1247 Old 08-18-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have you thrown a lens cleaner disk in there? Might help. Still using mine half a dozen times a week or so, with plenty of DVDs thrown in too. I'll be a bit disappointed when it dies, but blu-ray players are dirt cheap now, so not too bigger deal.
post #1236 of 1247 Old 08-19-2016, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
This player is starting to have issues for me. Sometimes it will say disc unreadable, and have to eject and reinsert to work.

For some reason it wont play Contagion at all anymore. It had played it in the past.

Not sure if its even worth trying to sell on ebay.
My BDP-S1000ES has been choking on some of the discs in the 1st 2 sets in the Spartacus series. I've found that some of the ones the Sony doesn't like play ok in my Panasonic DMP-BD85. However, the latter 2 sets play perfectly in the Sony. I am guessing the Panny is a bit more tolerant of discs slightly out of spec maybe? I'm not giving up on the BDP-S1000es yet - it has been a superb player.

post #1237 of 1247 Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Unfortunately its time to put this player to rest. I am taking it fully boxed and repackaged to best buy for their recycling program.

I'm tired of watching a TV show blu-ray. Stopping after 1 or 2 episodes. Turning it back on and unable to read the same disc. Having to open and close tray to get it finally read again. Also it generated terrible sparkles on my new LG OLED 4k display, which was absent from my samsung 4k UHD player using the same HDMI cable.

RIP to one of the last real Sony ES blu-ray players
post #1238 of 1247 Old 11-21-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Unfortunately its time to put this player to rest. I am taking it fully boxed and repackaged to best buy for their recycling program.

I'm tired of watching a TV show blu-ray. Stopping after 1 or 2 episodes. Turning it back on and unable to read the same disc. Having to open and close tray to get it finally read again. Also it generated terrible sparkles on my new LG OLED 4k display, which was absent from my samsung 4k UHD player using the same HDMI cable.

RIP to one of the last real Sony ES blu-ray players
I have had some similar experiences. I believe the culprit is blu-ray releases that are marginal in staying within spec. And I also have found TV program releases are the biggest culprit, as movie releases always seem to play just fine. It is still somewhat the fault of the player, because I also have a Panasonic DMP-BD85, that seems to play most anything you can throw at it - even discs the Sony gags on.
My S1000es stays in the rack as it performs fine on movies and that is what I watch mostly on blu-ray.

post #1239 of 1247 Old 11-21-2016, 09:17 PM

Mine is still trucking along, although these days it mainly just gets thrown kids DVD's. If/when it breaks, i'll have a good excuse to get an Ultra HD player.
post #1240 of 1247 Old 12-05-2016, 04:43 AM

Buh, jinxed myself. Just flashes "wait" when plugged in, and then goes to "sys err" after a few min.

Tried unplugging power & leaving for a bit. Also unplugging HDMI as per some suggestions, but nope, doesn't boot up any more.

An interesting symptom was that it seemed to be throwing off some crazy rfi or something, as with the unit in the "wait" error loop, I just had normal tv on, and when I tapped the entertainment unit nearby the player, I got picture breakup from the tv from the other source. Didn't have picture breakup when i removed the player and tapped around the entertainment unit again, making me think that it was definitely the player causing the interference. Maybe it's a bad power supply?

Anyway, the it's been swapped out with an even older Pana BD35 for the time being.
post #1241 of 1247 Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hey Guys.

Big Sony fan here... looking to add one of these 1000ES players to my setup, now that I've just about completed my Mancave.

I see they are 'rare'... but a few have popped up on Ebay over the past few weeks, and seem to be selling for ~$130.00 or so with free shipping. Question, are they worth that price? Or, should I just keep my BDP-BX650 4K upscale player that I got for a steal @ $40.00???

All opinions welcome. Thanks a bunch.

Gregg
post #1242 of 1247 Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmackFan View Post
Hey Guys.

Big Sony fan here... looking to add one of these 1000ES players to my setup, now that I've just about completed my Mancave.

I see they are 'rare'... but a few have popped up on Ebay over the past few weeks, and seem to be selling for ~$130.00 or so with free shipping. Question, are they worth that price? Or, should I just keep my BDP-BX650 4K upscale player that I got for a steal @ $40.00???

All opinions welcome. Thanks a bunch.

Gregg
One limitation in the BX650/S6500 is that it has only stereo Dolby and DTS decoders. If you need or want them decoded to multichannel PCM, then a more capable player like the 1000ES might be appropriate. FWIW, Sony's current top-of-the-line BD player is the UHD-H1, which goes for over $300. Despite the name, though, it doesn't play 4K UHD discs. Their 4K player isn't expected until early 2017.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1243 of 1247 Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Thanks Selden.

So... unless I read it wrong, are you saying the BDP-BX650 doesn't play a 4K UHD disc?

Also, I noticed (when connected to my Sony ES receiver), the 'blue' multi-channel decode light/LED was on when playing a normal blu-ray... so not sure about the player not decoding the multi-channel stereo. Maybe I'm confused, I've been out of the A/V world for a while... trying to get used to all this new nomenclature.

I'll post in a different/more relevant thread... but I'm trying to figure out why the BX650 won't "upscale" a standard blu-ray, as it claims. I didn't see anything in 'settings' to set differently and my TV (a XBR65X750D) displays '1080p' when I push the 'Display' button on the TV remote.

Why??? I don't get this 4K. Sorry for my ignorance... trying to learn here.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I didn't see anything in the BX650 manual either for upscaling...

Thanks much,

Gregg
post #1244 of 1247 Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Selden.

So... unless I read it wrong, are you saying the BDP-BX650 doesn't play a 4K UHD disc?
That's correct, although it can upscale 1080p discs to 4K.

Only 3 models of UHD players are currently available: one each from Samsung, Panasonic and Philips, although I think Panasonic might have two models in some markets. Other companies are expected to start selling UHD players RealSoonNow. Sony's isn't expected until next year.

Quote:
Also, I noticed (when connected to my Sony ES receiver), the 'blue' multi-channel decode light/LED was on when playing a normal blu-ray... so not sure about the player not decoding the multi-channel stereo. Maybe I'm confused, I've been out of the A/V world for a while... trying to get used to all this new nomenclature.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the front panel indicators of Sony receivers. Exactly which model do you have?

Quote:
I'll post in a different/more relevant thread... but I'm trying to figure out why the BX650 won't "upscale" a standard blu-ray, as it claims. I didn't see anything in 'settings' to set differently and my TV (a XBR65X750D) displays '1080p' when I push the 'Display' button on the TV remote.

Why??? I don't get this 4K. Sorry for my ignorance... trying to learn here.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I didn't see anything in the BX650 manual either for upscaling...

Thanks much,

Gregg
I seem to recall it being in one of the video-related menus in my 6500. Sony's manuals often are less than helpful.

For the TV to get a 4K signal, everything in the chain has to pass the 4K signal undamaged: player, receiver and cables. It can be a pain finding cables that actually can pass a 4K signal without damaging it.

Selden

post #1245 of 1247 Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 AM

Thanks Selden.

I have a STR-DA3400ES receiver.

I do have some of these on order from Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A1JMD1XID8VCW

I would think those would do the trick... at least to upscale, until I get an actual 4K player (if I ever do). It's hard to justify though. Going from VHS to DVD, then DVD to BD, now BD to 4K for movies I buy... CRAP! Plus, they're not cheap!

Anyways, enough whining for me... sorry. I appreciate the clarification guys. Maybe I'll sell the (2) BX650s cheap, and look for a BDP-1000ES for my setup... which is one I ultimately wanted anyways.

Take care.

Gregg
post #1246 of 1247 Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks Selden.

I have a STR-DA3400ES receiver.
My current guess is that you might have the 650 configured to "bitstream" the multichannel soundtrack from discs directly to the player.
(HDMI auto, Secondary Mix Off).

Quote:

I do have some of these on order from Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A1JMD1XID8VCW

I would think those would do the trick... at least to upscale, until I get an actual 4K player (if I ever do).
They should be fine.

Quote:
It's hard to justify though. Going from VHS to DVD, then DVD to BD, now BD to 4K for movies I buy... CRAP! Plus, they're not cheap!
Most UHD disc packages include a 1080p Blu-ray, so you could tell yourself that you're "future proofing" your library.

Quote:

Anyways, enough whining for me... sorry. I appreciate the clarification guys. Maybe I'll sell the (2) BX650s cheap, and look for a BDP-1000ES for my setup... which is one I ultimately wanted anyways.
I'd suggest hanging on until the 4K player is available. You know you want to....

A problem with the 1000ES is that it's not current production. As a result, Sony is unlikely to upgrade its firmware for discs which are not compatible with it. Fox in particular is notorious for publishing titles with new and previously unexpected anti-copy protection schemes.

Selden

post #1247 of 1247 Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM

THANKS a bunch Selden, all very good/valid points... most of which I didn't think of.

I'll keep an eye out for the Sony 4K player, but I'm sure it won't be cheap... knowing Sony.

Take care,

Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Blu Ray Player 3d Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page