AVS Forum banner
215K views 1K replies 202 participants last post by  tcmo 
#1 ·
#152 ·
Thanks for the advice. While I like the look of the Denon, it matches my AVR-3808CI, it seems to be a basic machine if analog output isn't a priority. The Sony seems a tad more feature laden by comparison and seems like a bigger upgrade from my Panasonic BD30.

#154 ·
My dealer was talking to his Sony rep sometime in the last week or so and he did not have any information on the 1000ES and indicated it may not be coming to Canada!!!! I sure hope he was incorrect. My dealer indicated that he has a customer who is interested in purchasing......lets hope it shows up...but. we are talking SONY Canada.

P.E.Hannon

#157 ·
I've been waiting for the Sony BDP-S1000ES to arrive in Canada for some time now. To date, there's still no listing for it, however last week the BDP-S760 appeared on Sonystyle.ca for an MSRP of $549.99 CAD. For the life of me I can't see any difference in specs between these two models, and the BDP-S1000ES goes for an MSRP of $699.99 USD.

To make matters even more confusing, I found the excerpt from a Sony press release:

"The BDP-S760 incoporates the most cutting edge technology Sony has ever included in its Blu-ray players. Incorporating aspects of our ES (Elevated Standard) advancements, the BDP-S760 comes equipped with an HD Reality Enhancer, which smoothes the image tone, and reduces picture noise to create a highly realistic display. This is complemented by Super Bit Mapping for video, which ensures incredibly natural colour reproduction. All of this adds up to a stunningly smooth and pristine Full HD picture.

The BDP-S760 also showcases the unique Multi-channel Headphone Surround technology from Sony which gives you a total surround sound experience, even when you're watching a movie on your standard headphones"

Does anyone know if there is a difference? Comparing specs, they look the same except for the included 4 GB memory stick with the BDP-S1000ES.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff /forum/post/17280105

Does anyone know if there is a difference? Comparing specs, they look the same except for the included 4 GB memory stick with the BDP-S1000ES.

Is there an ES after the product number? S760--no ES.

Your answer lies in the Sony press release - "incorporating aspects of ES into the product" meaning some, but not all, of the ES components--hence the lower price.

If you want a 1000, buy it from a US dealer or drive down there and get it. Hey, I'm in Canada too and I know it's irritating to be forced to shop at a seperate Sony Canadian website.

#159 ·
I don't know about that. The weight of both units is similar, and someone on Amazon.com is blasting Sony for sticking the ES brand on a unit that is a lot a like the S560. And one other site I found mentioned that the models numbers were different, but they were the same thing--nothing more than a sentence, unfortunately.

#160 ·
They appear to be identical. I did a take on the BDP-S1000ES (posted earlier in this thread) which is basically the BDP-S560 thrown into the old BDP-S550 chassis with three of the ES features thrown in... HD Reality Enhancer, etc.

The only reason to buy the BDP-S1000ES is to get these three features and from what I could tell the Pioneer players and LG BD390 implements similar features as good or better at a much lower price.

I think you can tell by the lack of posting in this thread the BDP-S1000ES is stuck in no man's land. Priced between the low and high end without an outstanding build quality or enough features to deem it worthy of its price.

#161 ·
I had hoped there would be more interest in this player considering joerod's review stating it has Blu-ray picture quality equal to the flagship Denon and Pioneer players, and exceeding that of the 5000ES. That alone makes this a good value.

It would have been nice if Sony had chosen to beef up the build quality of the 1000ES so that it was equal to other players at this price point. However, once you unbox the player and place it in your system it comes down to performance.

#163 ·
I have the 5000es model and I can tell you Super Bit mapping and the HD reality feature are excellant features.

I will be buying the 760 because of the wifi and I assume 760 and 1000es are identical in video and audio performance, JoeRod said the performance was better in the 1000es than the 5000es. Plus 760 is $499.00 cdn. which they have priced under the oppo-83.

The main difference between the 5000es and the 1000es is build quality and a bigger power supply also the size the machines.

The 760 will be Sony's No. 1 selling machine this Xmas with all of the features of an ES model for under $500.00 cdn. Very smart.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/17212666

I like the 1000ES as well but (a big one) the Pioneer 320 (same as the 23) both provide nearly the same pic Q at less than half the price (320). Sony should have priced this model somewhat less so it could have a better chance at competing. Most won't pay list let alone even a little less. The 1000ES has nice picture adjusting but depending on one's display results will vary...

I think this is his latest take on the player. The 320 is under $300 (street price). Comparing the images I posted in this thread which player do you prefer?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17201122

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky /forum/post/17286242

I have the 5000es model and I can tell you Super Bit mapping and the HD reality feature are excellant features.

I will be buying the 760 because of the wifi and I assume 760 and 1000es are identical in video and audio performance, JoeRod said the performance was better in the 1000es than the 5000es. Plus 760 is $499.00 cdn. which they have priced under the oppo-83.

The main difference between the 5000es and the 1000es is build quality and a bigger power supply also the size the machines.

The 760 will be Sony's No. 1 selling machine this Xmas with all of the features of an ES model for under $500.00 cdn. Very smart.

Wow. So the price has dropped 50 bucks since yesterday. It may be time to move on the S760.

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff /forum/post/17286931

Wow. So the price has dropped 50 bucks since yesterday.

I saw the price drop too--I'm hoping they'll drop the 5000es by 500 bucks, I would take one of those for 1500.

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/17295472

They've already dropped the price of the 5000ES to $1500. You can find it new on ebay for as little as $1200.

not in Canada.

SirJohn: Good luck with your job. I can't wait for your impressions of the 760. Did sony indicate they were shipping it out the same day?

#173 ·
I was thinking of getting the sony 760 but i decided to try a Pioneer bdp320 and compare it to my Sony 5000es.

I compared it to the pioneer bdp 320 and found the sony produced a soft picture, where the pioneer had more detail and was sharp. I decided to sell the Sony and buy a Pioneer elite bdp-23 player.

Pictures are more 3d and alot sharper.

I was always a sony fan but I'm very happy to have switched.

#174 ·
hello all,

I've been reading information about this player. IN the USA sony website, it states it doesn't has Precision Cinema HD Upscale but it has it in the Australia sony website. In my region, I live in Hong Kong, and I think this player is called S765. Not sure why they left it out in the S1000ES?? Is this a very importance feature to improve watching movie?? I may plan to get this player since it has most of the feature of S5000ES.

thanks,

celsior

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky /forum/post/17319776

I was thinking of getting the sony 760 but i decided to try a Pioneer bdp320 and compare it to my Sony 5000es.

I compared it to the pioneer bdp 320 and found the sony produced a soft picture, where the pioneer had more detail and was sharp. I decided to sell the Sony and buy a Pioneer elite bdp-23 player.

Pictures are more 3d and alot sharper.

I was always a sony fan but I'm very happy to have switched.

You mean sony flagship player can't even compete with pioneer 320?? As I only had a old version ps3 as my blu ray player, I am also struggling between S760 or 320. Do you have any picture to show us about that 5000ES has a softer picture? And what movie did you use it to compare the two players? Thanks for your info!!

C

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsior360 /forum/post/17319897

As I only had a old version ps3 as my blu ray player, I am also struggling between S760 or 320. Do you have any picture to show us about that 5000ES has a softer picture?

In this thread I posted images of the BDP-S1000ES and BDP-32FD (same as the BDP-320)...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17201122

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.