New Sony ES Player BDP-S1000ES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1194 Old 07-25-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks Like the 560 that is due to ship.http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CmoreStories.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1194 Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Looks good
post #3 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
No Dual HDMI outs?

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #4 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
"The BDP-S1000ES also features Sony's HD Reality Enhancer, which Sony claims "continually analyzes the original source bit by bit, sharpening edges and reproducing detail, while reducing the effects of film grain."

I'm definitely going to get this puppy!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have chosen it to do a review on.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #6 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have chosen it to do a review on.

Looks like a single HDMI Joe.
post #7 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Never Seen An ES Player This Thin.I Wonder What Their New Flagship ES Player This Year Will Offer.
post #8 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yo J Rod,You The Man.Love The Reviews,Keep Em Coming.
post #9 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Any one know when this sucker is coming out??
post #10 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Next month according to press releases.
post #11 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
TRT
AVS Special Member

At $200.00 more than The Oppo, and not a true universal player; I don't get it
post #12 of 1194 Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

Why does everything come down to the Oppo? The street price will probably be less and considering the 5 year warranty and that all bluray pq is similar, I am sure it will be competitive.
post #13 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Generally speaking, how do the newer Sony players compare to other models?

I've only owned a Panasonic BD30 and am looking to buy a new player this fall. This new Sony intrigues me, but I haven't been impressed with some of the older models that some of my friends have.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #14 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

Why does everything come down to the Oppo? The street price will probably be less and considering the 5 year warranty and that all bluray pq is similar, I am sure it will be competitive.

....cause the Oppo has set the standard at its price point in both performance and value...and as a PS3 owner, I agree. Don't want to be compared to the Oppo.....build a better player at that price point. Just that simple!
post #15 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+ If your theory is correct, then the PS3 would be all the BD player anyone could want...Right???
post #16 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM

"Sony CREAS" and "Sony DRC-MFv3" in Google.

Roberto
post #17 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:

....cause the Oppo has set the standard at its price point in both performance and value...and as a PS3 owner, I agree. Don't want to be compared to the Oppo.....build a better player at that price point. Just that simple!

Oppo just came out, I don't think any "standard" can be established without a performance track record.
post #18 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:

+ If your theory is correct, then the PS3 would be all the BD player anyone could want...Right???

I would agree except that for me I prefer the look of a standard machine vs. a game console.
post #19 of 1194 Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM

This looks like a bdps560 with analog outs, 5yr warranty, and a bundled 4gb thumb drive. I'm hoping the pq will justify the price difference.
post #20 of 1194 Old 07-28-2009, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave300zx View Post

I'm hoping the pq will justify the price difference.

At best it will be equal to some other of the better players - ones that show no issues reproducing what's on the disc.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #21 of 1194 Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Here's a news flash about the revered Oppo....at my workplace, we did a shootout with a customer who had just bought the new Oppo BD player with his 2 year old Elite BDP-95. The customer with the Oppo, and everyone at my workplace all agreed....THE ELITE AT TWO YEARS OLD, BLEW THE OPPO OUT OF THE WATER. Sorry folks, but if it sounds too good to be true.....if you want to watch test patterns and feel justified with good 'Secrets of Hi-Fi' benchmark scores, then the Oppo is your player. If you watch video, then slow boot and load times and all, the Elites are still king.
post #22 of 1194 Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:

And I'd bet good money this Sony will also blow it away, in picture quality if not in forum hoopla BS and benchmark test pattern scores.
post #23 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Is it unreasonable to implement standardized test pattterns on BD players to establish which perform most admirably in given areas?

Of course it isn't.

But it sounds sexy/clever to imply that the unit that DOES perform better in these areas with test patterns will be OUTPERFORMED in others. But (sigh), that, in and of itself of course, is illogical.

Thankfully, I have some real-world material that can put players through their paces in respect to given characteristics (the staircase in MI 3 and countless other panning, color, and scaling shots come to mind).

This way, we can point to something other than those "worthless test patterns" when we imply that a given player is a better performer than another.

Oddly enough, my experience has been that the superior performer in the test patterns has ALWAYS performed best with the aforementioned "real-world" material. How insane is that?

what a laugh.

And by the way, I SERIOUSLY doubt any of these players will "blow the others out of the water". They are all top-performing players with only minor idiosyncracies that many times are only revealed using those damn TEST PATTERNS. Not to say you can't make a distinction with RW material, but those distinctions are almost always more easily discerned with the TP's.

Somewhat obviously, the Oppo is mainly widely revered because of the performance it offers at its price point, not becausue it's a 99/100 performer and everything else is an 85.

good grief.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #24 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 AM

Manual and full specs now up on the Sony site. http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...set-165760.pdf
post #25 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 AM

I hope all is well.

Ive owned the Sony BDP-S500 for some time now and always loved the picture quality but was never a big fan of the lack of DTS HD Master Audio. That being said - I purchased a BDP-S560 last week and noticed that the picture quality was not nearly as crisp as the S500. The BDP-S560 - though the DTS Master Audio ability is superior tom the S500 - the Picture Qualty is not up to par.

Am I missing something here? Is thent the BDP-s560 supposed to be better in every regard?

I did noticed that the BDPS-500 has a noticeably larger/heavier build thatn the S560 and that has me a bit worried as well.

Will the new BDP-S1000 es player blow both outof the water in terms of picture quality?
post #26 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

Looks like a single HDMI Joe.

I still plan to review players that have only one HDMI output. If I only did Dual HDMI Outs then I guess I could retire.

post #27 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Aquilino View Post

Yo J Rod,You The Man.Love The Reviews,Keep Em Coming.

Thanks.

post #28 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 AM

JoeRod.

You seem to be the person with all the answers...

Do you know why the BDP-S500 has a much better picture than the BDP-s560?
post #29 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wallace View Post

Here's a news flash about the revered Oppo....at my workplace, we did a shootout with a customer who had just bought the new Oppo BD player with his 2 year old Elite BDP-95. The customer with the Oppo, and everyone at my workplace all agreed....THE ELITE AT TWO YEARS OLD, BLEW THE OPPO OUT OF THE WATER. Sorry folks, but if it sounds too good to be true.....if you want to watch test patterns and feel justified with good 'Secrets of Hi-Fi' benchmark scores, then the Oppo is your player. If you watch video, then slow boot and load times and all, the Elites are still king.

Scott, you can't make statements like that , it is like saying something bad about monoprice. Seriously though, I am not surprised at your findings, benchmark scores and real world viewing can certainly differ. Sometimes the difference between one player scoring higher than another comes down to a few areas where a player "failed" that won't show up under normal viewing circumstances. But you will see people choose a player with the higher score even though the other player is a more substantially built component with a better warranty.
post #30 of 1194 Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Scott, you can't make statements like that , it is like saying something bad about monoprice. Seriously though, I am not surprised at your findings, benchmark scores and real world viewing can certainly differ. Sometimes the difference between one player scoring higher than another comes down to a few areas where a player "failed" that won't show up under normal viewing circumstances. But you will see people choose a player with the higher score even though the other player is a more substantially built component with a better warranty.

Here's my thing, and I'm really bummed about it, and really pissed off about it. Everybody wants the best thing in the world.....cheap. So manufacturers listen and make cheap stuff but with name brand chipsets or whatever and make people think it's better than previous built like a tank stuff. An earlier post alluded to one of the new Sony's. The new Elite BDP-23 is way smaller than the 05 to say nothing of the 09 and it has a wimpy power cord connector, which is a bummer to those of us who like the boost in performance that a good IEC power cord can provide. Point being, things are gravitating towards being more cheaply built, so manufacturers point to chips and name brand whatevers and if it tests well, well then it must be better......but no. Does anyone really think that a $499 player that can do DVD-Audio, SACD, DVD-Video, Blu-Ray, & CD and uses a name brand processing chip like the Anchor Bay is really optimized for all of those formats? No, clearly not. The Elite was SUBJECTIVELY better, and it was not subtle. This from a customer who WANTED the Oppo to be better since it was soooooo much faster, and Elite's are slower than erosion. Point being, there is no substitute for good, but bad for marketing copy build qualities like a good overbuilt quiet power supply, good circuit layout, superior build quality and internal layout, proper implementation of all tasks, regardless of whether it's a name brand chip that sells when mentioned in reviews. These things show up on screen and to our ears, even if there is not a measurable quality to them. Not everything is about 'Secrets of HT&HF' benchmark scores (not that those don't have SOME value). And it's this same Oppo/Vizio culture that has killed Pioneer Elite plasmas. There was a study done and amongst those who made over $100,000 a year, the average they spent on a new TV was $1,500. No wonder Elite can't make money off plasma when even the well-heeled refuse to pony up for genuine quality. And now once Elite leaves, there really is not a fantastic second option, and so now there are no high performance TV's within reasonable reach of the average consumer (some colleagues who attended Runco training said that there new "Opal" line of plasmas were the best TV image they had ever seen, but priced more than double the Elite's which are being firesold and still aren't selling as fast as such a good product should).

So you asked for it, you got it - cheap stuff that measures well and performs ok, but is completely uninspiring in actual use. Ain't those internets amazing!?!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps1000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Blu Ray Player 3d Black , Sony Bdp S560 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S560 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page