post #61 of 153 Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 View Post

Then post up some links/stats that point to a better analog sounding blu ray player.

ok this is VERY simple. there is no such data that i am aware of and I would be happy to be proved wrong about that.

thus, all we have to go on is subjective experiencs at the moment.

I realize this is very uncomfortable for those who are completely left-brained but since there are no dbts on analog stages of blu ray players yet we have nothing to go on but subjective comparisons.

Now some of us may think this data is meaningless and thats fine.

some of us may think this data has some value in that it is better than nothing and that is fine.

and some of us like arguing for the sake of arguing in anonymous internet forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 153 Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If your AMP or receiver won't do analog EQ (room correction) the best sounding player is probably the one that has the most complete configuration abilities.

I would hope that any current product would not do analog EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Your statement is 100% absurd on the face of it.

What measurement and what equipment used for this measurement do you think is not accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

ok this is VERY simple. there is no such data that i am aware of and I would be happy to be proved wrong about that.

thus, all we have to go on is subjective experiencs at the moment.

I realize this is very uncomfortable for those who are completely left-brained but since there are no dbts on analog stages of blu ray players yet we have nothing to go on but subjective comparisons.

Now some of us may think this data is meaningless and thats fine.

some of us may think this data has some value in that it is better than nothing and that is fine.

and some of us like arguing for the sake of arguing in anonymous internet forums.

And subjective opinions only count to that one person, the main problem I have with subjective opinions is that people can take them to any level as with cables and teleportation tweaks.
post #63 of 153 Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Please let me tip-toe into this thread with a question..

I have a 6.1 Analog AVR and want to get a Analog out BR Player. I have looked at the Panny BD-80 but don't want any part of the Freeze issue and also want to have the ability to adjust timing to address potential lip-sync issues.

I have no perspective on the quality of my AVR and to what extent it would compliment or degrade a BR player, but I do enjoy good 5.1 sound now thru my Optical out from my Panny 50 S14 HDTV.

I need to get a BR to upscale my SD DVD's and also to play an occasional BR. Is the difference in BR native audio so much superior to 5.1 ?

Also since I only have the Original Bose Cubes (Circa 1987)@ 5.1 with a Seperate Sub would a analog out player be advisable or does my setup not make it worth it?

If so, for the budget minded do you guys have any BR recommendations: with or without analog out and with the lip-sysnc adjustment.

Thanks for your "input."

Tom
post #64 of 153 Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Liked: 11
I would think that it wouldn't be too hard for players to beat the Oppo analog. The Oppo uses CS4382 for its multichannel DAC. That is pretty dated. My $80 sound card from 6 years ago was using this DAC.

Are these other players using anything better? At the price of the Oppo, it seems like they could've at least stuck in something like the PCM1796 if not the PCM1792.
post #65 of 153 Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
as you can tell by reading my signature, i have tested a wide variety of players. it's my opinion that the best analogue players on the market today are the denon dbp-2010ci and the marantz bd7004. The only player that is close is the Pioneer BDP-51FD, but good luck in finding a new one.
post #66 of 153 Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser View Post

I would think that it wouldn't be too hard for players to beat the Oppo analog. The Oppo uses CS4382 for its multichannel DAC. That is pretty dated. My $80 sound card from 6 years ago was using this DAC.

Are these other players using anything better? At the price of the Oppo, it seems like they could've at least stuck in something like the PCM1796 if not the PCM1792.

Fpr 2CH it uses the http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1023.html CS4398 and for the rest it uses http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1083.html CS4362A/82A. At 114

The CS4362A/82A with Dynamic Range (dB) 114, THD+N (dB) -100, is still a decent DAC.
post #67 of 153 Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post

As a follow up on my earlier question regarding analog lip sync correction, I received my Oppo yesterday, and I can confirm Bachelor's post that the delay setting for HDMI also works for the analog outputs!
Oppo's analog multichannel output is definitely a step up from my Sony 550.
I purchased three used DBX 3BX series III dynamic range expanders off of Ebay (each handles two channels...production stopped in the 80s), and I am using those to process the 5.1 output from the Oppo...really adds life to concerts, especially the impact restoration circuit. I had to try this after getting accustomed to SACD, DVDA, and DBX processed vinyl albums, and noticing that many CDs now just seemed lifeless to me. (The Sony 550 DBX processed output still didn't better over all the HDMI sound from my Marantz 8003 prepro).
I'm a happy camper now!
Paul

After playing around with the delay setting, I determined the analog delay doesn't seem to work.
During setup, I had set the delay to 120, my setting with my prepro for HDMI, and I didn't notice any sync problems using the analog out.Today I changed the setting from 0 to 200, and didn't notice any change on analog delay.
I guess I'll notice a sync issue when I play a problem disk...no such problem watching David Gillmore though, and this is using a Panny 3000 with the frame interpolation on high (which usually increases sync issues).
My bad on jumping to conclusions.

What are your speaker distances set to? This is usually how the delay is configured (at least on my receiver)
post #68 of 153 Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM

I have an older Denon AVR-2803 and can't afford to upgrade right now, but would at least like to get a decent blu-ray player that I can take advantage of my 7.1 input. I don't want the cheapest POS out there, but a decent player at less than $300, or maybe the least expensive of all the high-end players recommended so far? I read that the Panny DMP-BD80 has freeze issues?

I noticed the Oppo talked about internal decoding of the different HD-type audio for the analog output, but I didn't notice that on other models. Is that significant or do they just state explicitly what the other brands have anyway?

Thanks,
Chris
post #69 of 153 Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM

I have been researching a similar soultion for my Marantz.. CHeck out the LG-BD390. IT seems to be a teriffic BR Player with wireless & 7.1 analog out.. I have not purchased it but there is a thread here you can read. It seems very positive.

Prices under $300 if you shop.. seems like a great value and no freezing issues like the Panny's.

Good luck,

Tom
post #70 of 153 Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

as you can tell by reading my signature, i have tested a wide variety of players. it's my opinion that the best analogue players on the market today are the denon dbp-2010ci and the marantz bd7004. The only player that is close is the Pioneer BDP-51FD, but good luck in finding a new one.

Winston, I am itererested in which one you prefer, the Denon or the Marantz? I would like to upgrade the panny 10a in my theater room. I have been reading all I can about both players along with the new sony 1000es player. Your thoughts would be helpfull. Thanks

Mike
post #71 of 153 Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM

i listen to mostly concert blurays and i just want to find out your opinions about bluray players sound performance using analog outs since i have an older denon receiver (avr 3801) which is not capable of decoding newer surround formats. any opinions about sony bdps1000es, pioneer elite bdp23fd, etc.
thanks in advance
post #72 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup dragon View Post

i listen to mostly concert blurays and i just want to find out your opinions about bluray players sound performance using analog outs since i have an older denon receiver (avr 3801) which is not capable of decoding newer surround formats. any opinions about sony bdps1000es, pioneer elite bdp23fd, etc.
thanks in advance

Price range? The best can get expensive.

-Bill
post #73 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Price range? The best can get expensive.

-Bill

I wish you had asked this question a few weeks ago. Avs store had the Sony s5000es on sale for $350 shipped. I bought one and have it hooked to my NAD T763 through 5.1 analog and the sound is awesome. I actually went from hdmi in ps3 with a newer receiver to analog. I am very happy.

Check eBay for s5000es. You might still get a deal.
post #74 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Jake View Post

I have an older Denon AVR-2803 and can't afford to upgrade right now, but would at least like to get a decent blu-ray player that I can take advantage of my 7.1 input. I don't want the cheapest POS out there, but a decent player at less than $300, or maybe the least expensive of all the high-end players recommended so far? I read that the Panny DMP-BD80 has freeze issues?

I noticed the Oppo talked about internal decoding of the different HD-type audio for the analog output, but I didn't notice that on other models. Is that significant or do they just state explicitly what the other brands have anyway?

Thanks,
Chris

Panny bd85 or bdt300 or bdt350 all on closeouts. Sony s5000es or 1000es if you can still find them.
post #75 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Taking it one step further, are there any 3D Blu-Ray players that have analog outs and some of the more common apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.?
post #76 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Taking it one step further, are there any 3D Blu-Ray players that have analog outs and some of the more common apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.?

The OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-95 have Netflix and Blockbuster. And "Film Fresh", which I've never seen reviewed. And Picasa Web Album.

Vudu is expected, but with no known date.

-Bill
post #77 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for those model numbers. The Oppos look like exceptional players. At the price point though, I may just upgrade my receiver.
post #78 of 153 Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for those model numbers. The Oppos look like exceptional players. At the price point though, I may just upgrade my receiver.

The panasonic BDT300 and BDT350 are 3D and have 7.1 analog. They have pretty much disappeared though - you might get lucky and find one in a best buy magnolia section.
post #79 of 153 Old 05-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks bommai. You're right those are tough to get. I'm stuck with the same dilemma. I could drop $500 on the Oppo 93 and use the analog outs with my old Pioneer VSX-D811S, or I could upgrade to a new receiver like the Onkyo 609 and still need a 3D capable Blu-ray player. Ideally it would be nice to do both, but I can't spring for $1k right now.
post #80 of 153 Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM

below $500 price range
post #81 of 153 Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sony 5000es is bloody good in my opinion, analog quality better than denon 4010 have owned.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #82 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
From the reviews I've read to date the Oppo BDP-95 is the best of the lot. It is a big upgrade from the -83, -93, and they are quite good.

One reviewer of the -95 mentioned that anyone with only an average AVR in the system most likely won't be able to tell the difference, though.

When I've got the cash (I'll end up paying a huge import tax), I'll order a -95, as I'm using a Parasound pre-amp, and I will hear the improvement over my current Denon 1931ci dvd-a, which is quite good.
post #83 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks bommai. You're right those are tough to get. I'm stuck with the same dilemma. I could drop $500 on the Oppo 93 and use the analog outs with my old Pioneer VSX-D811S, or I could upgrade to a new receiver like the Onkyo 609 and still need a 3D capable Blu-ray player. Ideally it would be nice to do both, but I can't spring for $1k right now.

This is what I did and may nit apply to other people. I had a hk avr 745 that did 1080i through hdmi but not 1080p and so I used a hdmi switcher and splitter. One went to my 1080p24 projector and one went to my avr. Avr did PCM 5.1. So my ps3 was my bd player and I was happy for 4 years. Then I bought a used NAD t744 for my living room. Loved the sound. Brought it to my theater room and loved the sound even more. Same time I found a panasonic bdt 300 and bought it and used with NAD t 744 via analog. Liked it. The. I came across Sony s5000es on avs store for $350. Bought it and loved the sound even more and the build quality too. The I sold my hk avr 745 on eBay and found a NAD t763 on craigslist for $242. Bought it and I am very impressed. The receiver is pre hdmi but has optical and coax. I used optical for tv. Analog for bd. Works great. So for less than $350 net I have replaced my equipment and got a perceived upgrade in sound quality. I am not into whizbang features and room correction etc. I have had it before and can easily live without it.
post #84 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

So for less than $350 net I have replaced my equipment and got a perceived upgrade in sound quality. I am not into whizbang features and room correction etc. I have had it before and can easily live without it.

Right now I don't have any room correction, only using a Parasound P7, 7 channel pre-amp for MCM. Sounds goods. Of coarse, the Denon dvd-a player sets the speaker distance, BM though. But that is quite basic, compared to these AVRs with auto setup.
post #85 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey, so I am looking at this thread, and it seems the first wave of these players are now on "clearance".

I found the Pioneer BDP-51fd on Amazon for $275 new, and $125 used! My question is- is this still a good player? I dont' care about streaming features, I have an HTPC- but I would like excellent audio quality. I have a Marantz SR7300 with 6.1 channel in, but it doesn't have HDMI inputs so I need a multi-channel in for DTS master audio- which, according to you guys here, may or may not be better than what I'm getting through optical right now.

"Wolfson Audio DACs: Each DAC features a signal-to-noise ratio of 117db. Wolfson DACs provide top-notch audio performance from music and movie soundtracks. " for the Pioneer.

If the pioneer is already a 2-year old design, I'm guessing the loading times suck.
post #86 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Hey, so I am looking at this thread, and it seems the first wave of these players are now on "clearance".

I found the Pioneer BDP-51fd on Amazon for $275 new, and $125 used! My question is- is this still a good player? I dont' care about streaming features, I have an HTPC- but I would like excellent audio quality. I have a Marantz SR7300 with 6.1 channel in, but it doesn't have HDMI inputs so I need a multi-channel in for DTS master audio- which, according to you guys here, may or may not be better than what I'm getting through optical right now.

"Wolfson Audio DACs: Each DAC features a signal-to-noise ratio of 117db. Wolfson DACs provide top-notch audio performance from music and movie soundtracks. " for the Pioneer.

If the pioneer is already a 2-year old design, I'm guessing the loading times suck.

You may want to check out a few of the 28k+ post on the owners thread for the 51 fd.
post #87 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wow, that will be a lot to digest.
EDIT: Also looking at the Sony BDP 1000es as well. It's about $220 used, but it looks pretty awesome.
post #88 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Have you check your local BestBuy for closeouts/open box units? I picked up a Pioneer BDP-320 for $69.00. Their stock will differ at different locations and I have seen Pioneer, Panasonic, and others with 7.1 audio. Excellent audio and as you guessed slooow load times, but well worth the wait in my opinion.

post #89 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

EDIT: Also looking at the Sony BDP 1000es as well. It's about $220 used, but it looks pretty awesome.

I only suggested a few because I remember some early problems with the player and what seemed to be some really disgruntled owners. However, I never went back to see if it got straightened out so if you read the latest posts you may find out it is a great or not so great player.
post #90 of 153 Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw a s5000es go for $370 in eBay yesterday. Luckily I got mine from AVS for $350 shipped. The 5000 has burr brown DACs and better build quality.

The Sony es have 5 year warranty too. I don't care for streaming features and load times on the 5000 are decent.

Also I don't miss hdmi for audio one bit. The analog is consistent with no glitches or pops.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd55k Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S5000es Blu Ray Disc Player , Marantz Bd8002 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page