Marantz BD7004 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 110 Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Cant believe there isnt a shred of info on this website re the new marantz BD7004.

found some stuff here...
http://www.referenceaudio.com/ImageU...y%20Player.pdf

certainly looks like a cracker of a player to me with decent analog stage. and more like what were the very nice marantz disc spinners of old.

What is very intriguing as well is that the marantz looks like a kissing cousin of the denon 2010 but with some tweakes and ends up weighing twice as much

anyways looking forward to some feedback from owners and any other info anyone might have on this very nice looking player

some more info I noticed here with nice pics etc on the UK avland website.
http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/marantz...004/bd7004.asp

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[quote=alebonau;16964247]
What is very intriguing as well is that the marantz looks like a kissing cousin of the denon 2010 but with some tweakes and ends up weighing twice as much {QUOTE]

They weigh effectively the same:
Marantz 10.9 lbs
Denon 10.6lbs

Marantz's facade is a bit bulbous, which might add some heft. I would be willing to bet they are the same in componentry and performance. I reviewed the 2010 recently and found it a very good player, but will struggle to compete with the Oppo at current pricing - needs to land at $425 for non-Denon nuts. Marantz offers a three year warranty, which has a real value in my opinion compared to the Denon's and Oppo's. That said, I do not see this selling well outside of folks insistent on matching components for too far north of $500.
post #3 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wait, is it me or do I not see an Optical output?

Toshiba 40RV525U
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk Audio CS1 - Center
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.2 - Front
Velodyne DPS-10 - Sub
Advent - Rears
Sony Playstation 3 - Blu Ray
post #4 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post

Wait, is it me or do I not see an Optical output?

why would you want to use optical on a bd player with that good of an anlogue section? the burr browns in this player are awesome (i have its twin brother the 2010) - i believe they are the same in the fabled onkyo 805.

Optical would limit you to lossy core audio
post #5 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=winston9332;16964916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

What is very intriguing as well is that the marantz looks like a kissing cousin of the denon 2010 but with some tweakes and ends up weighing twice as much {QUOTE]

Marantz 10.9 lbs
Denon 10.6lbs

Marantz's facade is a bit bulbous, which might add some heft. I would be willing to bet they are the same in componentry and performance. I reviewed the 2010 recently and found it a very good player, but will struggle to compete with the Oppo at current pricing - needs to land at $425 for non-Denon nuts. Marantz offers a three year warranty, which has a real value in my opinion compared to the Denon's and Oppo's. That said, I do not see this selling well outside of folks insistent on matching components for too far north of $500.

I would imagine them weighing about the same, I would say the avland website to have got it wrong at 10.9kg when infact 10.9 pounds. they say it has a strengthening plate to minimise vibration, maybe adds a little weight, but yeah dont expect it to weigh that much more. There is also mention of better elna caps in the output stage for instance. think thats all the marantz will be a few tweaks here and there. marantz are good at doing that. all will remember their 8400 universal disc player that was a pioneer under the skin but they added a very nice analog stage and other tweaks making for a very nice player overall taking it a fair distance on from the pio it was

dont really see this player for those looking for oppos. they'll just get oppo's. this is for those I think this one is for those looking for players decent over analog. whether people buy the denon or the marantz, yeah I imagine down to styling choice and whatever else marantz have managed to come up with to differentiate itself from the denon I guess. which is something only time will tell I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

why would you want to use optical on a bd player with that good of an anlogue section? the burr browns in this player are awesome (i have its twin brother the 2010) - i believe they are the same in the fabled onkyo 805.

Optical would limit you to lossy core audio

with players like this most I would expect would really be using either over analog or via hdmi. however as a fall back coax or optical is good refuge for those with legacy non hdmi avrs/processors and that cant quite get things setup over over analog.

it does have coax. but yeah no optical. really you only need one or the other. you can get inexpensive coax/optical convertors if optical is so important. I'd jsut use coax instead though if that is only means of connectivity and yes winston is right coax/optical will limit the audio experience to the 1.5mbs vs the 24.5mbps available via the blu-ray format.

post #6 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM

[quote=winston9332;16964916]
Quote:

Marantz 10.9 lbs
Denon 10.6lbs

the warranty is exactly why I am thinking I am going to order the marantz.

Mike
post #7 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
The most important question for a Blu-ray player is how promptly will Marantz be issuing firmware updates?

I don't recall if this is their first player or not, so I don't know if they have any history to base an answer upon.

I haven't seen anything discussing the player's load time for BDs, either, another important factor for people who don't want to have to put in the disc, then make popcorn while it loads.
post #8 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

The most important question for a Blu-ray player is how promptly will Marantz be issuing firmware updates?

I don't recall if this is their first player or not, so I don't know if they have any history to base an answer upon.

I haven't seen anything discussing the player's load time for BDs, either, another important factor for people who don't want to have to put in the disc, then make popcorn while it loads.

generally marantz makes you send your player in or bring it into a dealer for firmware this player replaces the first generation 7003 which looked great but lacked significant features. although overpriced imho this looks like a very nice unit. i was also waiting for someone to start a thread on this unit. alebonau to the rescue! clearly this unit and the 2010 are aimed at the audiophile blu ray crowd who have expressed concern about the oppo's dacs and the analog stage...interesting no sacd/dvda although both the new denon and marantz flagship both are universal...
post #9 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

generally marantz makes you send your player in or bring it into a dealer for firmware this player replaces the first generation 7003 which looked great but lacked significant features. although overpriced imho this looks like a very nice unit. i was also waiting for someone to start a thread on this unit. alebonau to the rescue! clearly this unit and the 2010 are aimed at the audiophile blu ray crowd who have expressed concern about the oppo's dacs and the analog stage...interesting no sacd/dvda although both the new denon and marantz flagship both are universal...

that is quite right, marantz seems to be following denon, using its family connections no doubt

there was the 8002 which was a kissing cousin of the 3800. cannot comment if marantz supported it with updates as denon did wiht theirs. denonphile is correct though with most marantz gear you are expected to "take it in" newer items I see have LAN capablity hopefully that means updates is as free and easy as it is with the denons.

denophile for sacd/dvda capability you dont have to go to the marantz flagship. true universal player starts at the UD8004

http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/marantz...004/ud8004.asp

no doubt a tweaked version of denons equivalent upcoming 4010. I wonder if avland have screwed up on the weight of the 8004 as well they say it weighs 17kg ! probably 17lb as well more likely hehe

post #10 of 110 Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 PM

Nice players. From company website, you can update firmware via Internet.
http://us.marantz.com/Products/Blu-Ray-DVD.asp

cheers!
post #11 of 110 Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

generally marantz makes you send your player in or bring it into a dealer for firmware

Quote:

cannot comment if marantz supported it with updates as denon did wiht theirs. denonphile is correct though with most marantz gear you are expected to "take it in"

Not true for BD. Marantz released "download/burn" firmware updates for both the
BD8002 and BD7003

Reality Based.
post #12 of 110 Old 08-29-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

for info on the 7004's little brother: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1174981
post #13 of 110 Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Just picked up one of these, I understand that it is a little bit of a premium over the Denon but I like the looks and the 3 year warranty. Bluray is basically the same as all the others, SD is very competitive, in terms of the inevitable comparison to the Oppo, I think it looks better and has the nicer warranty, worth the trade off for the few seconds difference in speed.
post #14 of 110 Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

Just picked up one of these, I understand that it is a little bit of a premium over the Denon but I like the looks and the 3 year warranty. Bluray is basically the same as all the others, SD is very competitive, in terms of the inevitable comparison to the Oppo, I think it looks better and has the nicer warranty, worth the trade off for the few seconds difference in speed.

Andy, I have had one in my house since Thursday - terrific player. Identical to the denon 2010 in performance, but seems to have a bit more richness over analogues for music. The product specs do not mention the burr browns by name - do we know if it has the same dacs as the 2010?
post #15 of 110 Old 09-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Don't know but I had the 3800 for comparison and the 7004 held its own, it didnt have the same sparklle but the imaging and separation was very good.
post #16 of 110 Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

Don't know but I had the 3800 for comparison and the 7004 held its own, it didnt have the same sparklle but the imaging and separation was very good.

for what it's worth, the marantz 7004 has less handshake issues than my 2010, which also suggest something might be different either in software or hardware.
post #17 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Can anyone comment on load times on this player compared to previous gen players? (Pio 05/51, Denon 3800, etc..)

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #18 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Can anyone comment on load times on this player compared to previous gen players? (Pio 05/51, Denon 3800, etc..)

click on my signature. they are almost the same as the denon 2010. you're looking at 13-15 seconds for powered off eject. non-java are 20-45 seconds; heavy java just under a minute.
post #19 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

click on my signature. they are almost the same as the denon 2010. you're looking at 13-15 seconds for powered off eject. non-java are 20-45 seconds; heavy java just under a minute.

Thanks Winston. So it look like the Oppo is on the top of your list. To be honest, not big on the style of it otherwise it would be on my short list.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #20 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Winston. So it look like the Oppo is on the top of your list. To be honest, not big on the style of it otherwise it would be on my short list.

The oppo is definitely the most logical choice if you rate based upon value and subsistence alone in an hdmi setup. The marantz is a better performer in regard to analogue audio.

The marantz is now my primary player. It provides 99% of the PQ of the Oppo and is a gorgeous player - even my wife asked about it when i put it in the den.
post #21 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The oppo is definitely the most logical choice if you rate based upon value and subsistence alone in an hdmi setup. The marantz is a better performer in regard to analogue audio.

The marantz is now my primary player. It provides 99% of the PQ of the Oppo and is a gorgeous player - even my wife asked about it when i put it in the den.

Thanks Winston- I think I'm looking for Oppo speed and performance but better style/build quality. As I will bitstream, analog performance is not a factor for me. I thought maybe the Marantz might be the right choice. How much faster is the Oppo vs the Marantz?

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #22 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Winston- I think I'm looking for Oppo speed and performance but better style/build quality. As I will bitstream, analog performance is not a factor for me. I thought maybe the Marantz might be the right choice. How much faster is the Oppo vs the Marantz?

oppo is about faster by 30% for the most part. if speed is your deciding factor, get the oppo.
post #23 of 110 Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been using this as my primary player for over a month now and have not encountered a single disc issue yet (knock on wood). It has been a very reliable player.
post #24 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I have been using this as my primary player for over a month now and have not encountered a single disc issue yet (knock on wood). It has been a very reliable player.

Hi Winston, i notice you rate the Pio BDP-51FD and the Marantz BD7004 equally in terms of analog audio peformance. The Pio uses Wolfson 8740 DACs, do you know which DACs the Marantz uses? Also can you please describe any differences in analog SQ between the two players, thanks!

post #25 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Hi Winston, i notice you rate the Pio BDP-51FD and the Marantz BD7004 equally in terms of analog audio peformance. The Pio uses Wolfson 8740 DACs, do you know which DACs the Marantz uses? Also can you please describe any differences in analog SQ between the two players, thanks!

Marantz uses Burr Browns - believe 1796, but I would have to re-read the specs. I think the 7004 can hold its own against the Pioneer's wolfsons, but the Marantz does not have individual crossover settings which might be a pain for those looking to use it for a 7.1 setting. I believe the default small speaker setting results in a 80hz crossover. For two channel audio, I think a lot of it would depend on your implementation (ie direct or music processing mode via avr), but they both sound great.

The Marantz has been bulletproof on blu ray playback - hugely impressed by this. This tends to be more of a daily dealkiller for me - loved my pio 51, but hit and miss blu ray playback quickly moved it out of the setup.
post #26 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Marantz uses Burr Browns - believe 1796, but I would have to re-read the specs. I think the 7004 can hold its own against the Pioneer's wolfsons, but the Marantz does not have individual crossover settings which might be a pain for those looking to use it for a 7.1 setting. I believe the default small speaker setting results in a 80hz crossover. For two channel audio, I think a lot of it would depend on your implementation (ie direct or music processing mode via avr), but they both sound great.

The Marantz has been bulletproof on blu ray playback - hugely impressed by this. This tends to be more of a daily dealkiller for me - loved my pio 51, but hit and miss blu ray playback quickly moved it out of the setup.

I should've been more specific with my question; i meant to ask how the two units compare for 2 ch CD playback. I am VERY impressed how the Pio performs in this regard and would not want to lose any performance what so ever on CD playback by getting the Marantz, unless of course the latter is slightly better. Thanks.

post #27 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

I should've been more specific with my question; i meant to ask how the two units compare for 2 ch CD playback. I am VERY impressed how the Pio performs in this regard and would not want to lose any performance what so ever on CD playback by getting the Marantz, unless of course the latter is slightly better. Thanks.

I would say both are excellent and might give a slight nod to the pioneer in all fairness. DVD playback I would give the nod to the 7004. Load times and disc recongition/error correction are a lot better with the 7004.
post #28 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

oh and marantz has a deal where you can get a $100 rebate for the purchase of the 5004 or 7004. check out marantz's website.
post #29 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I would say both are excellent and might give a slight nod to the pioneer in all fairness. DVD playback I would give the nod to the 7004. Load times and disc recongition/error correction are a lot better with the 7004.

Thank you Winston.

post #30 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM

I owned the 7004 and would not be satisfied with it as a CD player, SD DVD was average. It is a good looking machine though and as expected, works well with bluray.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Marantz Bd7004 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page