Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 112 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3331 of 3348 Old 11-10-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Guys, I have an extra Sony BDP-CX960 that I need to get some parts for. It seems they are VERY difficult to locate. Anyone know where I can get them?

1. SONY EP-GW 1-879-11 board, one of the connector pins fell off
2. SUMITOMO-M 2896 45pin (i believe) ribbon cable, looks like it is about a foot long. It connects the laser to the board.

Thanks!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3348 Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Have you tried emailing sony and if so where they helpful.

Pioneer kuro 60 plasma, Onkyo TXNR 929 Receiver, Son BDCX 960, Toshiba HD DVD, Polk center and Surrounds, Definitive Mains, and Definitive Trinity Sub.
post #3333 of 3348 Old 12-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried to play the Dolby Atmos version of the Expendables 3 in my Oppo BD-83 and the audio dropped out. I then switched to the Sony 960 and it played perfectly. Well I now know the 960 will play Dolby Atmos drop out free.

Thomas DiCecco
post #3334 of 3348 Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
BDP-CX960 repair

I want to thank everyone in the forum that helped to outline how to fix a player with an invalid disc error. My CX960 started giving me this error around Thanksgiving, and I was in a panic since I knew they were no longer selling these players. Long story short, I purchased the laser that is linked in this thread and replaced the laser in my player. It took several cracks at putting it back together to get it right. My player is working like new now. It loaded over 300 discs without errors.
Djoel likes this.
post #3335 of 3348 Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivodoctor View Post
I want to thank everyone in the forum that helped to outline how to fix a player with an invalid disc error. My CX960 started giving me this error around Thanksgiving, and I was in a panic since I knew they were no longer selling these players. Long story short, I purchased the laser that is linked in this thread and replaced the laser in my player. It took several cracks at putting it back together to get it right. My player is working like new now. It loaded over 300 discs without errors.
tivodoctor,

The above is very encouraging - Thank You for posting this!
Although my CX960 is still trouble-free, I suspect I am on borrowed time.
Could you post here (or PM to me) the source where you obtained the laser?

Thanks in Advance!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #3336 of 3348 Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Liked: 11
BDP-CX960 laser

The link for the laser is listed above in post #3331 . It is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-OPTICA...-/360939314074

I am thinking of buying another to use as a back up for my CX960's. Hopefully this helps if you need it in the future.
post #3337 of 3348 Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Sony BDP-CX960. The internet connection seems to have gone bad. The ethernet cable is working and the connection is good - I have connected my laptops and other devices to the cable. Is the Lan port on the changer replaceable? Are parts even available or do I need to send this to an authorized Sony repair facility?

Thank you for you help!
post #3338 of 3348 Old 01-15-2015, 01:31 AM

Liked: 10
On my BDP-CX960, in Setup and Video Output selection, I cannot select HDMI nor get an HDMI output. The HDMI selection is greyed out. HDMI is connected to my preamp processor, and I have also tried to connect it up directly to my TV but to no avail. Previous to this, I had been fooling and experimenting with various HDMI to component boxes for my old 65" Sony XBR rear projection TV and (wrong) AWG 28 cables, getting mixed results. Now, I am at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-John Ruskin
post #3339 of 3348 Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Classified Forum Listing: 6 Sony CX7000ES 400 Disc Changers

Hello:

Wanted to let those still interested in the Sony CX7000ES know that I am selling six (6) changers and have just now posted a listing in the Classified/Video Source Items forum.

Would prefer to give priority on these changers to contributors to this thread, as the information shared here has enhanced my use and enjoyment of this product. My thanks and best regards...

Jeff
post #3340 of 3348 Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Sending my BDP-CX960 in for service

Greetings,

The "invalid disc" issue surfaced on my unit some time ago but since I don't use it as my primary player I have put off having it serviced. I figured it's time as I want to have it repaired while the parts are still available.

Going though Sony's Support site, it now indicates that service is provided by United Radio. I have used them before for Onkyo warranty work and they are excellent. They quoted me $115 plus parts/shipping.

That's fine by me. I really like the convenience of the jukebox and seeing as they are no longer available for purchase it's easily worth the cost.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 02-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
post #3341 of 3348 Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Ralph,
Good post on a repair option for the CX960! Is your repair in process?
Either way - please let us know how it turns out
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #3342 of 3348 Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Ralph,
Greetings,

Yes. It has been at the repair facility since February 4th. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding an estimate etc. I will post back with the outcome.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #3343 of 3348 Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
All this now makes me happy that when Sony closed these out in the outlet stores I purchased 2 7000ES so that I had a backup. Cannot believe that I only paid $109 each and $20 each for the extended warranty. Sometimes you just get lucky.
I guess they closed out the 'close out' price I was offered...I remember brand new ones at $399 and refurb for $299 at the time...guess I should've checked later...$109 was a great price...

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #3344 of 3348 Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 AM

Greetings,

I am having problems with my Vision VC-1 and hope that someone could provide some assistance or put me in contact with someone who could help me. Currently, I have talked to Escient tech support and they have not been of help.

Here is the problem. I purchased a VC-1 to manage my Sony Blu-Ray Mega-changer (BDP-CX7000ES). According to Escient, it needs a Tripp Lite Keyspan USA-19HS adapter to connect from the USB port on the Escient to the Mega-changer. After purchasing this device, I also discovered it required a null modem cable to connect both male ends to female ends, which I purchased and connected.

After connection, the unit booted up and displayed the Escient menu on my Pioneer Pro 151-FD. I went through the setup procedures on the Escient. I ensured it had the latest software (1.2.3.72 Jun, 2010) (already installed). It showed up on the Network as it gave me an IP address/Gateway, etc. I then went into Changer Management, to Discover Changers, and after pressing Discover Changers it immediately went back to the setup menu. The Escient unit does have a connection to the Internet as it shows the unit going out and checking for the latest server.

Some additional information: Inside the Blu-Ray Mega-changer, I allowed the unit to accept external controls. My Tripp-lite's green light vacillated between solid and flashing—so in my opinion, it was working.

After a lengthy phone conversation, and two reboots and a restore to factory settings, Escient recommended I send it to Panurgy because it could not get to a point to discover a server. He said because it could discover a server, despite having an IP address, the unit could not connect to the Sony Mega-changer.

Thoughts???????

Steve

"To the pursuit of Sonic Excellence"
post #3345 of 3348 Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthrndream View Post
Greetings,

I am having problems with my Vision VC-1 and hope that someone could provide some assistance or put me in contact with someone who could help me. Currently, I have talked to Escient tech support and they have not been of help.

Here is the problem. I purchased a VC-1 to manage my Sony Blu-Ray Mega-changer (BDP-CX7000ES). According to Escient, it needs a Tripp Lite Keyspan USA-19HS adapter to connect from the USB port on the Escient to the Mega-changer. After purchasing this device, I also discovered it required a null modem cable to connect both male ends to female ends, which I purchased and connected.

After connection, the unit booted up and displayed the Escient menu on my Pioneer Pro 151-FD. I went through the setup procedures on the Escient. I ensured it had the latest software (1.2.3.72 Jun, 2010) (already installed). It showed up on the Network as it gave me an IP address/Gateway, etc. I then went into Changer Management, to Discover Changers, and after pressing Discover Changers it immediately went back to the setup menu. The Escient unit does have a connection to the Internet as it shows the unit going out and checking for the latest server.

Some additional information: Inside the Blu-Ray Mega-changer, I allowed the unit to accept external controls. My Tripp-lite's green light vacillated between solid and flashing—so in my opinion, it was working.

After a lengthy phone conversation, and two reboots and a restore to factory settings, Escient recommended I send it to Panurgy because it could not get to a point to discover a server. He said because it could discover a server, despite having an IP address, the unit could not connect to the Sony Mega-changer.

Thoughts???????

Steve
Where did you get your Keyspan adapter? There are two similar units. The older unit P/N USA-49WLC does not work with the Escient unit. In the Sony Setup Menu, are you sure you have the "Custom Installation Control" set to RS232C?

Also, make sure your Sony is connected to com port 2-3-4. Not Com 1 on the Keyspan adapter as that is reserved for external serial control. Or, you can go into the VC-1 menu and change the external control port to a different one.

John

Last edited by netroamer; 03-01-2015 at 08:38 AM.
post #3346 of 3348 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Ralph,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Yes. It has been at the repair facility since February 4th. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding an estimate etc. I will post back with the outcome.

Regards,
Greetings,

I received the unit back from the repair facility today. It took longer than I hoped and definitely proved more expensive than I anticipated. They replaced the unit's main board (not expected) and optical device (expected) to the tune of $308 and $142 for a combined total of $450.00. The labor was $125 and with sales tax (it is in NY like I am) and return shipping the grand total was $653.00. That doesn't of course include the freight to get it there. All told this repair cost me right around $700.

I looked at it realizing that these players are no longer in production and I find its convenience to be considerable. Lastly, there is no telling how much longer parts will be available. The delay for mine wasn't the main board it was the optical device.

Not really sure at what point the main board became an issue since the unit worked fine other than the occasional invalid disc error.

As I type this it is whirling away reloading my discs. So far so good. I will post back once it's completed loading.

Thanks for listening!

Regards,
superleo likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #3347 of 3348 Old Today, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I received the unit back from the repair facility today.
All told this repair cost me right around $700.

As I type this it is whirling away reloading my discs. So far so good. I will post back once it's completed loading.

Thanks for listening!

Regards,
That is an expensive repair. I have two 960s, that so far no problems. If something would happened to either BD player I will seriously consider going the HTPC route. I considered it at the time I got the 960s -- having an actual disc and not having additional work, plus maintaining a computer makes a huge difference in favor of the mega changers.

I hope the guarantee work for the repair is at least a year.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #3348 of 3348 Unread Today, 11:06 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
That is an expensive repair. I have two 960s, that so far no problems. If something would happened to either BD player I will seriously consider going the HTPC route. I considered it at the time I got the 960s -- having an actual disc and not having additional work, plus maintaining a computer makes a huge difference in favor of the mega changers.

I hope the guarantee work for the repair is at least a year.
Greetings,

Thanks. They warranty repairs for 90 days so it is what it is. I loaded 194 discs and all loaded properly. I played back several I knew to be problematic before and they played back fine.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page