Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3361 of 3388 Old 07-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As for the Optical Laser pickup replacement for the Sony BDP-CX960, I see you can get just the optical pickup, or the entire drive mechanism (if indeed it is the same mechanism) for a few bucks more. Wouldn't be easier to replace the latter? I have just started to get these Invalid Disc errors and I am debating buying a new OPPO or try repairing the Sony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3388 Old 08-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury1 View Post
As for the Optical Laser pickup replacement for the Sony BDP-CX960, I see you can get just the optical pickup, or the entire drive mechanism (if indeed it is the same mechanism) for a few bucks more. Wouldn't be easier to replace the latter? I have just started to get these Invalid Disc errors and I am debating buying a new OPPO or try repairing the Sony.
I paid for the full mechanism and it wasn't worth it, the one ribbon cable is way to short so I just took the laser piece and changed it out. Possibly I could of swapped the circuit board with the short cable to the new mechanism but no idea if there would be an incompatibility and once you take one of these apart and put back together you don't want to do it anytime soon.

Having said that the laser unit works from the mechanism also.

Hope that helps!
post #3363 of 3388 Old 08-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ok major issue, I replaced the laser and now the unit reads dvds and blu ray but not CDs. Any ideas?

Did a reset from the settings menu and now the CDs are playing. Very odd.

Last edited by Briant73; 08-04-2015 at 06:43 PM.
post #3364 of 3388 Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
I paid for the full mechanism and it wasn't worth it, the one ribbon cable is way to short so I just took the laser piece and changed it out. Possibly I could of swapped the circuit board with the short cable to the new mechanism but no idea if there would be an incompatibility and once you take one of these apart and put back together you don't want to do it anytime soon.

Having said that the laser unit works from the mechanism also.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the feedback!

Mike
post #3365 of 3388 Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

My replacement laser works good for blu-rays but the DVD/CD laser definitely is not working well. Has anyone else had this issue?
post #3366 of 3388 Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone find a place for replacement ribbon cables for this player by the way?
post #3367 of 3388 Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraysrt6 View Post
I had some similar problems and the dreaded invalid disc with my 960 that I bought dec of 09. After much reading I figured it was the laser mech and I just moved so when I reloaded all of my dvd's I had 8 blu ray dvd's come up invalid no matter what I tried. I down loaded the service manual and got the part number after some searching I found it on ali express from china for 22 dollars and figured what the heck I was out a lot more than that with my movies not working. I got the part yesterday and installed it. It loaded all 8 on the first try and they all play fine now. I am probably going to order another one just to have a spare or if I see someone selling a changer cheap because of that problem. Thanks to all of the people that have contributed to this forum and saving my irreplaceable changer that I love.
Can you give us the part number you found and the url where you bought it? I'd like to buy that part as well for my players. thanks.
post #3368 of 3388 Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 AM

NEW PROBLEM!! Major deal. I loaded some new discs and got this E 9104 error. "Problem withe the information system. Call customer service."

Unit is basically dead in the water. HELP
post #3369 of 3388 Old 08-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
NEW PROBLEM!! Major deal. I loaded some new discs and got this E 9104 error. "Problem withe the information system. Call customer service."

Unit is basically dead in the water. HELP
I have never experienced this error but here is what the service manual says -

N/A
NAND (Database)
Error
E9101
E9102
E9103
E9104
No error log is recorded.
Reboot the set, and if the error
recurs, perform the service. (When
the error persists though the “Factory
Initialize” is done, replace the
NAND. All the data including setting
information are initialized)

What did you do if anything between the last time the unit worked and the error appeared? Have you tried powering off the unit and unplugging for 5-10 minutes before trying again? The service manual suggests a factory init (found in the service manual how to access and in this thread).
post #3370 of 3388 Old 08-08-2015, 07:40 PM

I ended up taking all 385 discs out, powered down, unplugged everything, pulled and deleted contents of USB drive. Waited 20min. Plugged everything back in, powered up, put in 5 discs to test. Everything back to normal (I hope) for now. Still have a disc or two that registers as invalid. I was loading a new disc when the error occurred.

Thanks for your help.
post #3371 of 3388 Old 08-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I ended up taking all 385 discs out, powered down, unplugged everything, pulled and deleted contents of USB drive. Waited 20min. Plugged everything back in, powered up, put in 5 discs to test. Everything back to normal (I hope) for now. Still have a disc or two that registers as invalid. I was loading a new disc when the error occurred.

Thanks for your help.
Glad it's working again, as to the invalid disc have you replaced the laser yet?
post #3372 of 3388 Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Glad it's working again, as to the invalid disc have you replaced the laser yet?
I have a client with a CX7000ES. It recognizes DVDs and single layer Blu-Rays. It gives Invalid disc with dual layer Blu-Rays. Using a cleaning disc has not improved this situation.

The unit was installed in 2009 and has been lightly used.

It seems that Sony has left out quality in this unit as well as features such as a way to use a keyboard to enter disc information for discs not in the GraceNote database or discs you have created.

I guess that omission of memory for BD Live in a "premium" product should have been a warning.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #3373 of 3388 Old 08-10-2015, 12:03 PM

I have not yet attempted to replace the laser. I am still researching the issue. Is the laser replacement ready to install on arrival, or is there some sort of prep needed? The Ebay vendor has this in the product description;

Notes during the machine operation:
Some laser lens has a protective point, this point is a measure for anti-static burn of a laser and keep its safety , as our clothes and hair are all static materials, you can open this protective point with an high-grade anti-static iron, if you use a common iron, it requires much special attention, first, if the iron has melted the tin-can temperature, do remember to unplug the iron supply, then go to open the laser lens protection point, this is to prevent laser lens from burning by static electricity iron.

Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Mike

post #3374 of 3388 Old 08-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have not yet attempted to replace the laser. I am still researching the issue. Is the laser replacement ready to install on arrival, or is there some sort of prep needed? The Ebay vendor has this in the product description;

Notes during the machine operation:
Some laser lens has a protective point, this point is a measure for anti-static burn of a laser and keep its safety , as our clothes and hair are all static materials, you can open this protective point with an high-grade anti-static iron, if you use a common iron, it requires much special attention, first, if the iron has melted the tin-can temperature, do remember to unplug the iron supply, then go to open the laser lens protection point, this is to prevent laser lens from burning by static electricity iron.

Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks,

Mike

I asked the same question and no response. I am having issues with the dvd/cd reading with the replacement laser. Of course I put the unit back in the rack and it's a pain to get out and then apart (lots of screws and some cable disconnects).

Last edited by Briant73; 08-10-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #3375 of 3388 Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 AM

Briant73:

I have emailed the vendor for the laser about the "protective point". I'll let you know when I get an answer. This seems to be a common issue. I am inserting a YouTube link you will find interesting. It appears that you do indeed to remove this anti-static solder point for the laser to read the discs correctly. This may or not be the issue you are having with DVD\CD recognition.

Mike
post #3376 of 3388 Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 AM

Briant73:

I just got a reply from the vendor:

Thanks a lot for your inquiry, for KEM-430AAA, there is no protective point, you can use it directly, thanks!

hongda4269
Briant73 likes this.
post #3377 of 3388 Old 08-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

So bought a new laser from a different vendor on ebay, it won't work at all. I put my original laser which was having issues with blu-rays in and guess what everything loads though blu-rays are hit and miss.

So two bad laser units it seems. I am disappointed to say the least and have contacted the sellers.
post #3378 of 3388 Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
So bought a new laser from a different vendor on ebay, it won't work at all. I put my original laser which was having issues with blu-rays in and guess what everything loads though blu-rays are hit and miss.

So two bad laser units it seems. I am disappointed to say the least and have contacted the sellers.
What were the vendors names so I can avoid them (it may be too late, I ordered one from Aqua Way Industrial on Ebay). I'm not convinced that there is not a "protection point" on the replacement. I will compare both units to see if there is any difference in solder points.
post #3379 of 3388 Old 08-14-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

This may be obvious, or not, but I'll throw it out there for you guys(I haven't read this thread in a year or 2). Back in the day when I worked in consumer electronics repair, these lasers all
had a "solder bridge" point that you had to remove the solder from to allow the laser to work. Some just had a metal clip on the ribbon cable. Some had both. Just a FYI.

post #3380 of 3388 Old 08-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Another interesting observation; on Ali Express web site there are several optical laser pickups that appear to be identical buy can vary widely in price. Several of these have the same “Store Number 834030”. If indeed they photographed the actual item, they look identical. The price can be as little as 11.99 or as much as 34.99. Specs on one of the 11.99 lasers states it is for the use on KEM-430AAA mechanisms. All state there is a “Protection Point” solder spot that must be removed before use. Also, does anyone know if the same laser pickup is used in both the BDP-CX960 and the BDP-CX7000ES? They appear to be identical.

Question for hobbs47; Are these things THAT susceptible to static damage?

Last edited by mattebury1; 08-14-2015 at 09:54 AM.
post #3381 of 3388 Old 08-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

I am still talking to the vendors about the "bad" lasers so until I get a resolution one way or another I'm not going to post anything.

Also I looked over my laser and did not see a solder point to remove and so far no vendor has asked about it when i emailed them my issues.
post #3382 of 3388 Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Liked: 13
Hi All-

This question is for anyone who performed the laser assembly replacement. Did you have issues with the vibration or unbalanced discs spinning after reassembling?

I've replaced the KES-430A on my CX960, but now when a disc is loading I have a strong vibration in the drive as if the disc is not balanced correctly. From what I can tell I reassembled the unit as it came apart and I don't have any of my usual left over parts (I've a history of optimizing assemblies by eliminating unnecessary parts during re-assembly ).

I'm just wondering if anyone has tips/tricks as it is very difficult to access that part of the player while it is on and I am testing how it works.

For what it's worth I still get the invalid disc error after replacing the laser assembly, but I'd like to eliminate the vibration issue to confirm that the error is still valid.

Thanks!
post #3383 of 3388 Old 08-27-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhare View Post
Hi All-

This question is for anyone who performed the laser assembly replacement. Did you have issues with the vibration or unbalanced discs spinning after reassembling?

I've replaced the KES-430A on my CX960, but now when a disc is loading I have a strong vibration in the drive as if the disc is not balanced correctly. From what I can tell I reassembled the unit as it came apart and I don't have any of my usual left over parts (I've a history of optimizing assemblies by eliminating unnecessary parts during re-assembly ).

I'm just wondering if anyone has tips/tricks as it is very difficult to access that part of the player while it is on and I am testing how it works.

For what it's worth I still get the invalid disc error after replacing the laser assembly, but I'd like to eliminate the vibration issue to confirm that the error is still valid.

Thanks!
I just wanted to follow up with my question earlier.

I tore my changer apart again and looked over all the pieces I had touched in my prior repair. I found that I did not have the torsion spring on the "torsion holder (magnet) block" seated in the slot at the bottom of the torsion holder correctly. I remember it falling out when I took the laser assembly off of its vertical mounting post. I had the spring seated on the metal base fine, but didn't realize it was not seated in the notch on the torsion holder.

I corrected that, and did a couple manual operation of the disc pickup and laser mechanism with the shield on and off and the disc seemed to spin with less friction. I reassembled everything but the black case cover and put a known "invalid disc" in the cx960. (n my case it happens to be the star wars trilogy on bluray that became invalid over the last couple months. I was ok with this since I also considered episodes I-III to be invalid as well, but when it happened for episodes IV and V it was too much) Staying on target, after putting the disc back in I was successful at loading the disc and playing it without receiving the "invalid disc" error. I've only tested this one disc, so I will get the other discs that I originally had loaded in the disc changer and start the load process for them and let it run overnight and see if I run into any other discs or if this has been fixed with the replacement optical laser assembly.

I just want to thank everyone who has posted about replacing these parts as I found the links for ebay and the service manuals very helpful. I'm hoping that I get the majority of my discs to load and I can be happy about the $42.99 I spent on the replacement parts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDP-CX960 Torsion Spring.png
Views:	51
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	911106  
post #3384 of 3388 Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi All-

Thanks!
Where did you buy your kes-430a from and have you tried cds, dvds, and blu rays yet? Feel free top pm me.

Thanks.
RDHolmes likes this.

Last edited by Briant73; 08-28-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: add text about private message
post #3385 of 3388 Old 08-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

So received my replacement laser today to replace the unit I got that was DOA from the ebay seller , this one won't read blu-rays but reads some dvd/cds. Also it came in a box labelled kes-410a. I have asked for a full refund because I rather not wait 2 weeks for another replacement that may or may not work.

Has anyone been able to find a good replacement laser that plays dvd, cd, and blu-rays? If so please send me a link either on here or PM.

Thanks!
post #3386 of 3388 Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Not to threadcrap, but I've seen others post similarly. If anyone is interested, I am parting with my CX700ES:

FS: Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-Ray Changer

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Sony XBR-65X900B
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB

post #3387 of 3388 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Where did you buy your kes-430a from and have you tried cds, dvds, and blu rays yet? Feel free top pm me.

Thanks.
Hi Briant73-

I ordered my optical replacement from eBay. This is the item: http://r.ebay.com/SQDodN .

I loaded a sample of about 85 discs of about 40 BRs, 30 DVDs, and 15 CDs. All loaded successfully except for one cd, but on the second try it loaded right away. No errors in this group. I don't typically load CDs in the player as I use it mostly for movies, so I was very happy to see that everything loaded well.

I'm sorry to hear all the trouble you've had. I hope you get it working!
post #3388 of 3388 Unread Today, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Briant73-

I ordered my optical replacement from eBay. This is the item: http://r.ebay.com/SQDodN .

I loaded a sample of about 85 discs of about 40 BRs, 30 DVDs, and 15 CDs. All loaded successfully except for one cd, but on the second try it loaded right away. No errors in this group. I don't typically load CDs in the player as I use it mostly for movies, so I was very happy to see that everything loaded well.

I'm sorry to hear all the trouble you've had. I hope you get it working!
Thanks that's who i ordered the first laser mecahism from that worked somewhat, they are supposedly going to send me a replacement laser unit, fingers crossed
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page