Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
post #3451 of 3470 Old 11-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post
As mentioned, ES support indicated they thought the problem was related to memory not clearing on the changer and that a Factory Initialize would solve the problem. Based on the testing by ReyDawg, factory initialization did not solve any issues. I will contact ES support again and let them know the situation, but I don't think that will get us any closer to a solution. I don't believe they turned anything off,but the firmware needs updating to be compatible with Gracenote.
All they told you to do was clear the cache. As ReyDawg found it, it didn't work. Now he has to load all the information back into his machine. So I wouldn't suggest you continue to give out "their" advice. Simple testing can determine what is really going on. And my ES support was firm in their belief it was no longer supported.

Directly or indirectly, they turned off the support. Having coded more web services than I can remember, it would have taken 2-3 lines of code and about 15 minutes of work overall to keep support up.

These players are running more used than they were new. So I suggest people really consider the motivation behind posts claiming it works fine, or sometimes, or suggesting Apple's tagging service is lazy in updating their databases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3470 Old 11-16-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCard View Post
All they told you to do was clear the cache. As ReyDawg found it, it didn't work. Now he has to load all the information back into his machine. So I wouldn't suggest you continue to give out "their" advice. Simple testing can determine what is really going on. And my ES support was firm in their belief it was no longer supported.

Directly or indirectly, they turned off the support. Having coded more web services than I can remember, it would have taken 2-3 lines of code and about 15 minutes of work overall to keep support up.

These players are running more used than they were new. So I suggest people really consider the motivation behind posts claiming it works fine, or sometimes, or suggesting Apple's tagging service is lazy in updating their databases.
Yes, Sorry to Reydawg about the initialization suggestion not working. It seemed like a worthwhile attempt as it came from Sony. Hopefully most of the discs in his changer are in the database! I just got of the phone with Chad the lead guy at Sony ES Hotline. He is now going to send the information to engineering in Tokyo. I mentioned to Chad that there are probably still quite a few of the 7000Es units under warranty and should still be supported,just to maintain operation as per the warranty. Will update when I know more.
krichter1 and cuzed2 like this.
post #3453 of 3470 Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
As mentioned, ES support indicated they thought the problem was related to memory not clearing on the changer and that a Factory Initialize would solve the problem. Based on the testing by ReyDawg, factory initialization did not solve any issues. I will contact ES support again and let them know the situation, but I don't think that will get us any closer to a solution. I don't believe they turned anything off,but the firmware needs updating to be compatible with Gracenote.
I understand (and did read your post), but that answer from the Sony spt rep is BS and irresponsible (like the PC reps telling a user to "reboot" to fix their problem). The issue with the lookup resolving to the previous title has been around for years (do a 'Load' from the remote on a newly loaded disc and it usually loads it as the previously loaded title whereas letting the machine auto load from the active slot when the door closes seems to load the title fine).

Now, could Gracenote have made a change which requires the Sony machines to upgrade the firmware to properly support it? Thats a more plausible explanation but still something Sony should know. I get these are older Legacy machines but they should still give us a reliable answer here.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #3454 of 3470 Old 11-17-2015, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Yes, Sorry to Reydawg about the initialization suggestion not working. It seemed like a worthwhile attempt as it came from Sony. Hopefully most of the discs in his changer are in the database! I just got of the phone with Chad the lead guy at Sony ES Hotline. He is now going to send the information to engineering in Tokyo. I mentioned to Chad that there are probably still quite a few of the 7000Es units under warranty and should still be supported,just to maintain operation as per the warranty. Will update when I know more.
Yeah I was okay with following the procedure as I had just replaced the optical laser lens on my BDP-CX7000es and wanted to run it through the paces. The optical laser lens works great. Loaded all the cover art and info for my original movies. The newer ones would not load as expected. Will await to see if higher headquarters can maybe get this resolved. Would even contemplate paying a fee for the updating of firmware/software to update the cover art/information. Will await further responses for possible solutions.
cuzed2 likes this.
post #3455 of 3470 Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyDawg View Post
Yeah I was okay with following the procedure as I had just replaced the optical laser lens on my BDP-CX7000es and wanted to run it through the paces. The optical laser lens works great. Loaded all the cover art and info for my original movies. The newer ones would not load as expected. Will await to see if higher headquarters can maybe get this resolved. Would even contemplate paying a fee for the updating of firmware/software to update the cover art/information. Will await further responses for possible solutions.
ReyDawg,
You're a good sport taking one for the team in trying the "cache clearing reset test' that Sony recommended . I'm relieved to hear that Gracenote did indeed reload all of your older collection.
Your effort seems to have shed significant light on what the real problem is likely to be. Now we can only hope that Sony will come thru with a firmware/update solution ...

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #3456 of 3470 Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I tried putting in a CD and to my surprise, the artist and cover art came up. Granted it was a pre 2014 jazz disk, still there may be hope! I haven't purchased any CD's this year so I am not sure if the unit would fail to find a newer title as it does on newer movies.
post #3457 of 3470 Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM

Liked: 10
My Sony BDP-CX7000-ES has ONE fatal flaws....

We integrated the above megachanger into our Crestron system 5 years ago. It is controlled via an entire custom Crestron home automation system. This component is fed to all TVs via a Crestron DM-MD8x8 and is controlled using a Crestron ML600 remote. We have about 150 DVDs and BluRays in it and they play fine. It, however, has one key issues which is driving my wife mad.

The system constantly loses the titles and artwork of the movies. The movies are loaded and the gracenote info accessed and labeled and shows up on my TV (title and artwork). However, during subsequent sessions when the player is accessed, the titles and artwork MAY be lost (some titles gone, not others; artwork good, title gone; artwork and title gone; sometimes all fine - no pattern). If the title and artwork are gone, we have no idea what is available to be played. Rebooting the system will sometimes allow the titles and/or artwork to reappear. Sometimes it is one reboot, sometimes up to 7 according to my wife. Sometimes a reboot brings back some data but not all. I am checking it as I write this note and after 4 reboots, only some of the data has come back. This seemed to be occasional in the beginning and all of the time now. Loss of support from Sony for this product has made it difficult to troubleshoot by me or my integrator.

I searched this thread and see nothing on this and googled as well. Has anyone seen this type of behavior on the BDP-CX7000-ES? Could the problem come from how the system was implemented - could the frontending of the player by programming from the remote to the DM switcher to the player be the problem?? Any and all help appreciated.

Thx,
KLM
post #3458 of 3470 Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can also confirm that my cx960 no longer downloads new release cover art. Sent a nasty gram to Sony Customer Support. I spend a lot of money with Sony but if this happens to their products going forward, I plan to switch my equipment. Told them as much. I don't like companies that do me dirty like that. Make a product, SUPPORT IT, make it open source, something. I wish I was good enough coding to write an open source firmware to lay on top of these things...I think the only real solution will be to move to the HTPC/NAS route. Looking into Kodi, already have a Plex server and I love it but I want something dedicated to my Theater room that is easy to use.
post #3459 of 3470 Old 12-20-2015, 11:21 PM

I too am disappointed Sony isn't updating cover art any longer. I did recently order (and receive) the replacement optical drive part from China - the one recommended on this forum. I don't have the dreaded failure so many have experienced, however, to be safe, I wanted to have the part handy.

I've been looking at a server solution too. My largest hurdle, like most I'm sure, is how to get all my DVD's / BR's ripped. Anyway, back to a server solution - I've only recently began studying the options. I was pretty pumped about a Plex solution, it seems like it would work fine (and let me "serve" them to anyplace in my house (albeit in less than full resolution quality).

IonC - what is it the Plex server won't do for you that you would like in your Theater room? Please advise, perhaps I need to be looking at a Koni solution as well . . . .

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonC View Post
I can also confirm that my cx960 no longer downloads new release cover art. Sent a nasty gram to Sony Customer Support. I spend a lot of money with Sony but if this happens to their products going forward, I plan to switch my equipment. Told them as much. I don't like companies that do me dirty like that. Make a product, SUPPORT IT, make it open source, something. I wish I was good enough coding to write an open source firmware to lay on top of these things...I think the only real solution will be to move to the HTPC/NAS route. Looking into Kodi, already have a Plex server and I love it but I want something dedicated to my Theater room that is easy to use.
post #3460 of 3470 Old 12-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post
I've been looking at a server solution too. My largest hurdle, like most I'm sure, is how to get all my DVD's / BR's ripped. Anyway, back to a server solution - I've only recently began studying the options. I was pretty pumped about a Plex solution, it seems like it would work fine (and let me "serve" them to anyplace in my house (albeit in less than full resolution quality).

IonC - what is it the Plex server won't do for you that you would like in your Theater room? Please advise, perhaps I need to be looking at a Koni solution as well . . . .

Thanks.
AnyDVD-HD + Blu-Ray Ripper + Handbrake for your Blu-Ray's

As far as Plex vs Kodi I think they are both great. Plex is more for web based streaming and can be used fine with DLNA but I have trouble getting my devices to download the cover art of the movies. With Kodi and a dedicated HTPC, I think I could just connect the HTPC and use my receiver to interface with it with a remote control. I have a Nas4Free server with 16TB's that both could use but I am not 100% sure which route I will go yet. If I can get one of my DLNA devices to download cover art properly, I may just go with the PLEX server. For the theater room, I just want it to be as easy as possible to find and use the media server for anyone that watches in there.
post #3461 of 3470 Old 12-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonC View Post
AnyDVD-HD + Blu-Ray Ripper + Handbrake for your Blu-Ray's

As far as Plex vs Kodi I think they are both great. Plex is more for web based streaming and can be used fine with DLNA but I have trouble getting my devices to download the cover art of the movies. With Kodi and a dedicated HTPC, I think I could just connect the HTPC and use my receiver to interface with it with a remote control. I have a Nas4Free server with 16TB's that both could use but I am not 100% sure which route I will go yet. If I can get one of my DLNA devices to download cover art properly, I may just go with the PLEX server. For the theater room, I just want it to be as easy as possible to find and use the media server for anyone that watches in there.
All this legal garbage is ruining a good thing. was nice when you loaded a dvd and it found the art and info. All you had to do was hit play and enjoy. What a mess. thousands of dollars and now I am trying to find an alternative.
post #3462 of 3470 Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 PM

I would also encourage everyone to send a question to Gracenote as well. Maybe there is something they can do to fix the issue on their side. Might not be a Sony issue...?
post #3463 of 3470 Old 01-03-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 548
But shouldn't Sony know? I mean with all the players still out there I'm really surprised no one's gotten an "official" answer from their support org. If no one has I will call this week to see who I can escalate this to. It may very well be Gracenote with a contractual cutoff date etc… but again Sony should know because it's their product (and they own Gracenote)!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #3464 of 3470 Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
But shouldn't Sony know? I mean with all the players still out there I'm really surprised no one's gotten an "official" answer from their support org. If no one has I will call this week to see who I can escalate this to. It may very well be Gracenote with a contractual cutoff date etc… but again Sony should know because it's their product (and they own Gracenote)!
Well obviously they don't support the product anymore. I guess it is what it is. Doubt we'll see a patch or firmware to fix this or anything.

In the meantime, does anyone have any changer parts from broken ones? Please PM me if you do. I need a DR-510 board and a few other parts to fix up an extra changer I have.

thanks
post #3465 of 3470 Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM14 View Post
We integrated the above megachanger into our Crestron system 5 years ago. It is controlled via an entire custom Crestron home automation system. This component is fed to all TVs via a Crestron DM-MD8x8 and is controlled using a Crestron ML600 remote. We have about 150 DVDs and BluRays in it and they play fine. It, however, has one key issues which is driving my wife mad.

The system constantly loses the titles and artwork of the movies. The movies are loaded and the gracenote info accessed and labeled and shows up on my TV (title and artwork). However, during subsequent sessions when the player is accessed, the titles and artwork MAY be lost (some titles gone, not others; artwork good, title gone; artwork and title gone; sometimes all fine - no pattern). If the title and artwork are gone, we have no idea what is available to be played. Rebooting the system will sometimes allow the titles and/or artwork to reappear. Sometimes it is one reboot, sometimes up to 7 according to my wife. Sometimes a reboot brings back some data but not all. I am checking it as I write this note and after 4 reboots, only some of the data has come back. This seemed to be occasional in the beginning and all of the time now. Loss of support from Sony for this product has made it difficult to troubleshoot by me or my integrator.

I searched this thread and see nothing on this and googled as well. Has anyone seen this type of behavior on the BDP-CX7000-ES? Could the problem come from how the system was implemented - could the frontending of the player by programming from the remote to the DM switcher to the player be the problem?? Any and all help appreciated.

Thx,
KLM
The behavior you describe I found to be typical and inherit to the changer itself. I learned this early on with the 960 I originally purchased back when the changers were first being sold. Fortunately the 7000ES offers direct disc selection using RS-232 or IP control. This is the key to taking all the problems you've described above out of the equation. I never use the load feature of the changer directly or by way of a 3rd party control system instead. I also don't use the Sony XMB to browse and initiate playback of a given disc. The less you ask of these changers the better. That's where the RS-232 or IP control comes in. It doesn't matter if the changer has identified a disc or not. If I send the changer the RS-232 code telling it to play the disc that resides in Slot 127 that's what it does. It spins the carousel around, mounts the disc residing in Slot 127 if present and starts playback. Using this method it's just a matter of documenting the contents of the changer yourself using something as simple as an excel spreadsheet, then implementing a 3rd party solution that allows for entering the title data, cover art and disc locations manually rather than having said solution ask for that information from the changer itself. All you want your 3rd party solution to do is tell the changer to power on if needed and load a particular changer slot when selecting a disc to be played. That's it.

In my case my Blu-ray collection spans across 6 Sony 7000ES changers. For that 10 foot interface experience I run My Movies for WMC7. It's simple stupid to implement and the database can be backed up for safe keeping and restored if needed. I also created an activity for my Pronto remote where I can browse my Blu-ray collection by cover image right on the screen of the remote via any one of 24 genres/categories. Once selecting a disc to be played the remote displays loading pages while ensuring all the needed components are powered on, loads the particular changer slot, then taking you to the activity for controlling the changer. It's a manual process updating the activity for my remote just as it is updating my local My Movies database. As I stated previously though, that's the trick. Don't let the changer attempt to micromanage your collection for you. Ask as little from these changers as possible. Takes just a couple minutes to update either solution I'm using per a new disc I've added to one of my changers. It's one and done. For those that own the 7000ES you really owe it to yourselves to implement a 3rd party solution instead that doesn't involve asking the changer to identify the discs for you. Has worked for me since day one with the 7000ES. Yes, it's a shame there are certain issues with these changers that were never resolved, but that ship has sailed. Whatcha gonna do? :-P

Last edited by Low Profile; 01-06-2016 at 07:13 AM.
post #3466 of 3470 Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 PM

Unhappy Need help

I have a bdpcx960 and it will not turn on at all I have plugged it in a different outlet to make sure..need help
post #3467 of 3470 Old 01-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Vasquez View Post
I have a bdpcx960 and it will not turn on at all I have plugged it in a different outlet to make sure..need help
The unit is modular in design so by no power do you mean no power at all or no display/lights? Have you plugged in and tried operating the unit without response even if there are no lights/display? Could be a bad power supply - I'm not sure if the part is available but you can check, there are also service centers that may be able to help.
post #3468 of 3470 Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The more I learn about the issues with these changers, the more I think it is a software\firmware issue and not hardware. I have seen my "Invalid Disc" issues come and go sporadically. A disc comes up invalid, I change the slot, it comes back valid. Put another disc in the "Invalid" slot and it plays fine. I just don't see how a bad laser can be so intermittent. I do have a replacement laser if it becomes a major nuisance but as I see in these posts, replacing the laser does not insure the issue will be corrected. As others have complained, Sony should support what they sell. These changers were not cheap throw-a-ways. I have had issues with other Sony products and their lack of support and indifference to the consumer has turned me against the brand.
post #3469 of 3470 Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury1 View Post
The more I learn about the issues with these changers, the more I think it is a software\firmware issue and not hardware. I have seen my "Invalid Disc" issues come and go sporadically. A disc comes up invalid, I change the slot, it comes back valid. Put another disc in the "Invalid" slot and it plays fine. I just don't see how a bad laser can be so intermittent. I do have a replacement laser if it becomes a major nuisance but as I see in these posts, replacing the laser does not insure the issue will be corrected. As others have complained, Sony should support what they sell. These changers were not cheap throw-a-ways. I have had issues with other Sony products and their lack of support and indifference to the consumer has turned me against the brand.
I'm convinced there is a software issue at play here as well. Two things for me have contributed to all, but virtually eliminating the invalid disc issue with my 7000's and both items in my mind point to a software issue at least in part. The first is my use of RS-232 commands for direct disc selection rather than using the load feature of the changer and XMB for disc selection. This dramatically reduced the frequency I'd receive the invalid disc message. The second is playing BD-R's rather than BD-ROM's. I have yet to experience the invalid disc issue when going to play a BD-R. It's always a BD-ROM and with certain titles I can almost replicate this at will. As such, I use BD-R's with my 7000's almost exclusively.
post #3470 of 3470 Unread Today, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
I'm convinced there is a software issue at play here as well. Two things for me have contributed to all, but virtually eliminating the invalid disc issue with my 7000's and both items in my mind point to a software issue at least in part. The first is my use of RS-232 commands for direct disc selection rather than using the load feature of the changer and XMB for disc selection. This dramatically reduced the frequency I'd receive the invalid disc message. The second is playing BD-R's rather than BD-ROM's. I have yet to experience the invalid disc issue when going to play a BD-R. It's always a BD-ROM and with certain titles I can almost replicate this at will. As such, I use BD-R's with my 7000's almost exclusively.
If your processor is a Marantz AV 8802A and you downloaded last weeks DTS:X upgrade please report if the 8802 is still able to receive a dts digital signal from the 7000. When playing a DTS MA disc press the status button on the 8802 and check to see if its digital or pcm.
Since the update all of my dts ma discs are playing in pcm 7.1 multichannel analog in even though the 7000 is correctly setup and displays a dts ma audio track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread