Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

Old 07-03-2016, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the BDP-CX7000ex and like so many others all my disks say invalid and wont read. I have tried the power suggestion and a bunch of things I have read. I am on the latest firmware. Is there a way to go back in firmware> I have looked on the Sony site and the only one the have listed is the latest one. Does anybody have a copy they can share? I dont even know if I can go backwards.

If I do need that lens replacement, are there people in the Chicagoland area that go to your home and do it or does it really need to go back to Sony?

Man, this was just a great device, I hate to toss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post
I have the BDP-CX7000ex and like so many others all my disks say invalid and wont read. I have tried the power suggestion and a bunch of things I have read. I am on the latest firmware. Is there a way to go back in firmware> I have looked on the Sony site and the only one the have listed is the latest one. Does anybody have a copy they can share? I dont even know if I can go backwards.

If I do need that lens replacement, are there people in the Chicagoland area that go to your home and do it or does it really need to go back to Sony?

Man, this was just a great device, I hate to toss it.
As much as you would like to believe that older firmware will fix this..it just is not the case.
The problem is a bad laser. I had read some posts in the past that Sony has returned units with the statement that the part is no longer available. Has anyone had a laser replacement recently?
I doubt any repair tech is willing to spend that kind of time to perform an in-home repair.
The laser units are available for purchase on-line. If you are willing to try the repair yourself, it is possible.
budeone likes this.

John

FS: Lumagen VIDEXT HDMI Cable Extender
Maybe FS: Sony BDP-CX7000ES (3)
FS: Quantum Data 780 Pattern Generator/Analyzer

Last edited by netroamer; 07-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
optical

Search cx7000es on ebay and you will see that some one has one for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-...QAAOSwPgxVSHsP
budeone likes this.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just a note to anyone coming into this thread recently - there are messages by myself and others in this thread going over the invalid disc issue and how to replace the laser a search in the thread should find those messages. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There is no way I can replace anything. I would smash it and throw out the window in under 10 min.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is no way I can replace anything. I would smash it and throw out the window in under 10 min.

Well that would be a problem for sure and i believe some of the authorized repair centers are not doing the laser replacement anymore but you may want to check with them.

I found taking apart the unit tedious but not hard, just a lot of screws and wires that needed removed to get to the laser itself. Also make sure to remove all discs before taken part
Old 07-05-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Just google "cx7000es service manual" and you will find several places where you can get the service manual. Very helpful for remembering where everything goes when puting back together.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=budeone;45163153]There is no way I can replace anything. I would smash it and throw out the window in under 10 min.

i see you're in the Chicago area. I've used Deltronics on halsted in the city for other Sony products. When I worked for Sony in the 90's they would always order parts from our service center. Might be worth a shot. I've had pretty good dealings with them.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Exclamation Attention Denon/Marantz DTS:X owners!

Look what the latest FW log shows to be fixed as of 6/27/16!

"When customer connects the AV receiver with the specific BD player (Sony BDP-CX960 and Sony CX-7000 Blu-ray Jukebox) via the HDMI and playback the contents of "DTS-HD", the AV receiver doesn't recognize the audio of "DTS-HD". Therefore, the specific BD player outputs the audio signal with Multi ch PCM."

Haven't tested yet as I just now read this & wanted to share.

Ralph Potts and treytexag like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Look what the latest FW log shows to be fixed as of 6/27/16!

"When customer connects the AV receiver with the specific BD player (Sony BDP-CX960 and Sony CX-7000 Blu-ray Jukebox) via the HDMI and playback the contents of "DTS-HD", the AV receiver doesn't recognize the audio of "DTS-HD". Therefore, the specific BD player outputs the audio signal with Multi ch PCM."

Haven't tested yet as I just now read this & wanted to share.

Greetings,

I can confirm that it has in fact been fixed..

Regards,
krichter1 and treytexag like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 07-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I can confirm that it has in fact been fixed..

Regards,
Which firmware is being updated, the Denon/Marantz product, or the Sony BDP product? What is the updated firmware version number in this case?

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Which firmware is being updated, the Denon/Marantz product, or the Sony BDP product? What is the updated firmware version number in this case?
It came off the Denon thread but I assume the Marantz applies as well or will soon follow suit (and I concur with Ralph it does indeed work! )…

Kevin

Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Ah, sad to see my 960 is suffering from the laser problem as well of late. Not sure I want to work through the replacement, when I might be upgrading to 4k tv and might as well get a 4k blu player to replace this. It served me well for a fair number of years, but I suppose this was inevitable.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
Ah, sad to see my 960 is suffering from the laser problem as well of late. Not sure I want to work through the replacement, when I might be upgrading to 4k tv and might as well get a 4k blu player to replace this. It served me well for a fair number of years, but I suppose this was inevitable.
Better get one before they are all gone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-...QAAOSwPgxVSHsP
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by philadam View Post
Better get one before they are all gone.
I appreciate that, but I think I might just let the ol' thing go and pick up a 4k blu ray player.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstar7 View Post
I appreciate that, but I think I might just let the ol' thing go and pick up a 4k blu ray player.
I have a 4K UHD blu-ray player and while they are nice, there will never be 4K source for all the movies that I own so you can't beat the convenience of having them all cataloged and stored in one device.
superleo likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey make sure you take pictures for us if you do!

Kevin

Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 PM

Liked: 1
My 960 had a few invalid discs but played most of my 100+ discs just fine until a week ago. It then seemed to have lost most of the discs. When you open the cover and then closed it suddenly there were only a few unknown discs. Each time I open the cover it tells me there is a different number (anywhere from 5 to 95) unknown discs. You can program them in and Gracenote works fine, but power the unit off or open the cover and poof they are gone. I purchased a new laser and installed it put everything back together and it does exactly the same thing. I left the cover off so I could watch and see exactly what it was doing and when you open the cover and shut it it says it is loading but the carosel makes a 360 degree turn, never loads a disc and the 960 says no disc is present. I have looked over 20 or so pages but I have not found any similar problem. Anyone have a suggestion on what may be the problem and if so an idea how to solve it. I hate to lose the functionality of this device. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplezebra View Post
My 960 had a few invalid discs but played most of my 100+ discs just fine until a week ago. It then seemed to have lost most of the discs. When you open the cover and then closed it suddenly there were only a few unknown discs. Each time I open the cover it tells me there is a different number (anywhere from 5 to 95) unknown discs. You can program them in and Gracenote works fine, but power the unit off or open the cover and poof they are gone. I purchased a new laser and installed it put everything back together and it does exactly the same thing. I left the cover off so I could watch and see exactly what it was doing and when you open the cover and shut it it says it is loading but the carosel makes a 360 degree turn, never loads a disc and the 960 says no disc is present. I have looked over 20 or so pages but I have not found any similar problem. Anyone have a suggestion on what may be the problem and if so an idea how to solve it. I hate to lose the functionality of this device. Thanks in advance.
If you can get into the service mode (i find i need to use component output to see this) they have diags you can run and the service manual has some information on what to check. Good luck.
Purplezebra likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
If you can get into the service mode (i find i need to use component output to see this) they have diags you can run and the service manual has some information on what to check. Good luck.
Thank you. I will give it a try. If I can actually get the unit to recognize there is a disc present and load it it plays fine and all remote functions work, but that may take opening and closing the cover 5-6 times to do so. On the front left there is an eye that appears to see which slots have discs in them as the carousel turns. I also have an older SD Sony 400 disc changer that the plastic arm that grabs the disc broke on. It looks like that eye on both changers is the same. I am going to swap them out and see if that takes care of the problem. It's a shame that no one makes these anymore. I not only have a large collection of movies, but I have been making family movies with my blu-ray recorder for some time and burning them to disc. We have become a throw away when it breaks society.
cuzed2 likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Purplezebra,

I read a post like yours and it scares me that the I am on borrowed time with my 960 (still has the original laser, and I have bought a spare for that dreaded day). Good luck with your next troubleshooting steps - please share.

I also get these occasional invalid disc errors, they seem to be slot related (regardless of what I have in the slot). I was monkeying around last weekend and noticed on the on-screen menu; that I had 6 invalid disk locations. I took a photo of the menu, and will monitor over time to see if these same invalid locations are constant or if the invalid locations are randomly changing.
Purplezebra likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread