Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #3601 of 3617 Old 01-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
I'll change the subject up a bit:

• Is anyone here trying to bit-stream ATMOS movies thru this changer?
  • Mine will not pass ATMOS, however my cheaper Panny BDT220 does just fine using the same HDMI signal path.
Greetings,

I just checked and it passes the Atmos bitstream to my Marantz AV8802A AVP with no problem. I checked it with the latest Dolby Atmos Demonstration Blu-ray as well as The Man from Uncle.

Regards,
cuzed2 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3617 Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I just checked and it passes the Atmos bitstream to my Marantz AV8802A AVP with no problem. I checked it with the latest Dolby Atmos Demonstration Blu-ray as well as The Man from Uncle.

Regards,
Ralph,

Wow that was fast - Thank You !
This is good to know, I am now encouraged to do a bit more troubleshooting with the implementation of my unit.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #3603 of 3617 Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Blu-ray discs with Dolby Atmos have to have their audio settings changed in disc Top Menu to something like 2-Channel Night Mode or similar.
Even my much newer Oppo BDP-93 keeps losing the audio unless I do the same with it.
Newer machines that have Dolby TrueHD built-in don't have that trouble.
Now a bitstream would probably be more complicated.

I first experienced this with the movie Deepwater Horizon.
cuzed2 likes this.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

post #3604 of 3617 Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
I'll change the subject up a bit:

• Is anyone here trying to bit-stream ATMOS movies thru this changer?
  • Mine will not pass ATMOS, however my cheaper Panny BDT220 does just fine using the same HDMI signal path.
Make sure secondairy audio is turned off in the sony settings. As it will not pass through Atmos if it is on.

Also check the AVR DSP mode that you are using. Some DSP modes will utilize the core audio (Dolby True HD.)

Although you did state your other BDP worked fine.

Good luck.
cuzed2 likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.1.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Pioneer SP-T22A, JBL 12" Wireless Sub

Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony BDP-BX650, ATV G3, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Smart Control with Touch Remote, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #3605 of 3617 Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought a BDP-CX7000ES on Ebay for $750(without remote). It was a factory refurbished unit sitting on a shelf for 4 years. I assume it has little to no usage. This replaces a broken CX777ES as part of my Sony NHS 2040 custom rack. I bought a house 3 years ago with all this equipment installed and was delighted until I realized it was all Component Video-based. I removed the Escient units as well. Since I straddle the HDMI/Component world, the CX777ES works in quite well. I can play HDMI blu-ray in the Home Theater while my wife watches the same movie connected via Component video in her studio(or wherever-there are 13 zones). My cable box supports HDMI and component so all 13 zones can watch cable. I have no component solution for Apple TV so I have 3(one for each TV we usually use). All the TV's support HDMI and Component, some have Netflix).

1. My Sony ES receiver and the CX7000ES have RS-232 connections. Is there any advantage to hooking them up? One disadvantage is that activating the rs232 port on the CX7000S disables Auto Power off. Don't know if that is a real issue.

2. Love to hear from anyone with the SONY CAV rack system (circa 2007) on what they did to update their system(perhaps a forklift upgrade)

thanks
post #3606 of 3617 Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CX960 Questions

Man, that took quite a few days to read through all the posts! Some useful info and some not so much.

I stumbled on my 960 quite by accident when looking for a cheap blu-ray to replace one that was crapping out. The thought of the changer intrigued me but the $900 price tag was a bit off the chart. Did some quick research and see that the going prices on ebay wasn't too much different then that. Ended up getting it for $750 (Still freaking high for a 9 year old player).

Anyway, I love the setup but having some issues (that the other owner swears were not a problem for him).
1.) I need to get a bridge sorted out so i can get a more permanent connection to our internet. I ended up running a hard line for temporary use while I loaded the discs.

2.) The newer discs aren't found by Gracenote which is expected from what i'm reading. We have 332 discs in the unit with a mix of Blu-Rays and DVD's with only one home burned disc. It had 2 invalid disk errors which one was resolved and one never did get working (Frozen) though I have not checked that disc in another unit yet. There are around a dozen or so that aren't found including some older titles. I did get the official procedure from Gracenote that said it would be submitted through Sony. That official method is on the Sony website (since this is my first post it won't let me the link so i'll try to update that after I get past my probationary time lol).

3.) Some discs play just fine. BUT, some discs play like ****. Sound cutting in and out and almost blowing up the speaker system (Klipsch HD1000 Speakers and Jamo (which has a bad DVD player but the rest of it plays awesome). Some videos play fine but the audio is out of sync and adding a little sync gets them back in place (Noticed this with the new "SING" kids movie). That doesn't work with other movies though (like Real Steel). It never stays in sync. Found out that I could hit the "replay" button and get it back in sync but that doesn't last very long before its out of sync again.

We've got good HDMI cables (not the cheap crap but probably not the most expensive stuff either). This was not a problem with the old blu-ray unit with the same media. The connections are:
960 to TV (HDMI port 2)
Direct Satellite unit to TV (HDMI port 1)
Jamo to TV (optical)

The quirks of gracenote don't bother me too much but this not being able to play movies is a deal breaker. Wife is pissed I spent that much in the first place (but didn't come out of her account so she doesn't have much to bitch about). Then she can't play movies for the kids or even use the rental slot for nearly anything (forgot to mention that it is really bad on the cutting out).

I've got one of the China laser units coming that was noted earlier in this thread but not sure if that is going to resolve this current issue? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
post #3607 of 3617 Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Crickets Chirping
post #3608 of 3617 Old 04-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2dmax View Post
Man, that took quite a few days to read through all the posts! Some useful info and some not so much.

I stumbled on my 960 quite by accident when looking for a cheap blu-ray to replace one that was crapping out. The thought of the changer intrigued me but the $900 price tag was a bit off the chart. Did some quick research and see that the going prices on ebay wasn't too much different then that. Ended up getting it for $750 (Still freaking high for a 9 year old player).

Anyway, I love the setup but having some issues (that the other owner swears were not a problem for him).
1.) I need to get a bridge sorted out so i can get a more permanent connection to our internet. I ended up running a hard line for temporary use while I loaded the discs.

2.) The newer discs aren't found by Gracenote which is expected from what i'm reading. We have 332 discs in the unit with a mix of Blu-Rays and DVD's with only one home burned disc. It had 2 invalid disk errors which one was resolved and one never did get working (Frozen) though I have not checked that disc in another unit yet. There are around a dozen or so that aren't found including some older titles. I did get the official procedure from Gracenote that said it would be submitted through Sony. That official method is on the Sony website (since this is my first post it won't let me the link so i'll try to update that after I get past my probationary time lol).

3.) Some discs play just fine. BUT, some discs play like ****. Sound cutting in and out and almost blowing up the speaker system (Klipsch HD1000 Speakers and Jamo (which has a bad DVD player but the rest of it plays awesome). Some videos play fine but the audio is out of sync and adding a little sync gets them back in place (Noticed this with the new "SING" kids movie). That doesn't work with other movies though (like Real Steel). It never stays in sync. Found out that I could hit the "replay" button and get it back in sync but that doesn't last very long before its out of sync again.

We've got good HDMI cables (not the cheap crap but probably not the most expensive stuff either). This was not a problem with the old blu-ray unit with the same media. The connections are:
960 to TV (HDMI port 2)
Direct Satellite unit to TV (HDMI port 1)
Jamo to TV (optical)

The quirks of gracenote don't bother me too much but this not being able to play movies is a deal breaker. Wife is pissed I spent that much in the first place (but didn't come out of her account so she doesn't have much to bitch about). Then she can't play movies for the kids or even use the rental slot for nearly anything (forgot to mention that it is really bad on the cutting out).

I've got one of the China laser units coming that was noted earlier in this thread but not sure if that is going to resolve this current issue? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2dmax View Post
Crickets Chirping
Greetings,

Sorry you're not getting responses to your post. The reason may be that others aren't experiencing these issues. I have a 960 and haven't had sound problems. I did have the issue involving discs not being recognized. I sent it in for a repair a few years back and that has been resolved.

Good luck!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #3609 of 3617 Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I haven't had sound issues, just invalid disc.
post #3610 of 3617 Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Agreed (and I have six mega-changers).

I did have one exhibiting similar to yours and Sony replaced both the "bad video board" and the laser assembly too (but that was like 5 yeas ago), and I don't know which replacement hardware was the root issue. Could be a bad laser assembly and you doing the swap out may be your golden ticket (this can cause both video & audio issues reading from the disc). Good luck & report back once you get the laser swapped out.

As far as Frozen goes... me too and a lot of Disney discs are at issue w/ these Sonys but don't know why (e.g. - I can't get Pearl Harbor to read either).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #3611 of 3617 Old 04-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Waiting patiently on the slow boat to get here.
post #3612 of 3617 Old 05-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Boat arrived. Part installed. Broke something when powered back on, took the unit back apart and made sure of the alignment, but now the disc loads (and still plays like crap) but won't eject the disc back into the turn table. I did take some pictures of the process (other then reassembly which of course is opposite of the disassembly).
post #3613 of 3617 Old 05-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Liked: 12
Service Manual

If you don't have the service mnual you can download here: https://www.elektrotanya.com/sony_bd.../download.html
Manual is in english.
post #3614 of 3617 Old 05-20-2017, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Have been using my Sony 7000ES for almost a year now with no problems. Excellent player. However, recently it has been having an issue during the boot process. When the unit is powered on, it shows the Sony Blu-ray Disc splash screen for several seconds as normal, then the screen goes black (as normal), but the screen stays black while the unit finishes the boot up process. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Have tried several different cables with no change.

Until recently, this was an intermittent problem. That is, I would turn the unit off and try it later and it would work as normal. Would go for several days and even weeks without an issue. Yesterday it started acting as it does now. Just a black TV screen after a few seconds of the splash screen.

Thank you for any suggestions/ideas.

Update: I have/had the 7000ES connected to a 5 port HDMI hub and from there to my receiver. Until recently had worked with no real problems. Recently the hub stopped work so switched in another of the exact same model. Everything seemed to be working ok until the other day. Last night continued trying various things. Connected the 7000ES to the TV directly and it worked. Connected the unit directly to my receiver and it worked. Not sure if moving the cables around affected the signal but as of now, with the 7000 connected to an HDMI port on the receiver it seems to be working fine.

Last edited by RetiredandLovingIt; 05-21-2017 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Update
post #3615 of 3617 Old 06-06-2017, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I just sold my last Sony CX7000 ES and was sorry to see it go. However, the recipient has informed me upon starting the device he hears a grinding noise and the door does not open. I have never had a problem with this unit, is it possible I left a disc in the unit and it is blocking the wheel? Or can the spindle come off track? I shipped it in its original box with the original packing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
post #3616 of 3617 Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter View Post
Well, I just sold my last Sony CX7000 ES and was sorry to see it go. However, the recipient has informed me upon starting the device he hears a grinding noise and the door does not open. I have never had a problem with this unit, is it possible I left a disc in the unit and it is blocking the wheel? Or can the spindle come off track? I shipped it in its original box with the original packing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
All possible (especially shipping an older changer), but you could ask the buyer to unscrew the sides, take the cover off and shoot a quick video as the carousel spins around.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #3617 of 3617 Old 07-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Got the unit back and they fixed one issue (that would not let the disc eject) but didn't fix the main issue (with sound/audio sync and freezing/skipping discs). I sent it back and they now say it's a bad main PCB is “A-1708-928-A”. Does anyone have an idea where I can either get one or have mine "rebuilt"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page