Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats on being the first to get the 960...enjoy!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

My BDP-CX960 arrived today. Very easy to set up. I plugged in the HDMI, the cat6 computer cable from my router, and the power plug and I was ready to go. I put in 135 discs and only had to edit 5 discs info. The picture is amazing as expected. It is easy to find a disc because you can sort by number, genre, date, even cast members. Takes about a minute to play once a selection is made. About the same speed as my Samsung BDP-5000 but without the walk from the couch. I haven't found a way to just punch in a number and get straight to a disc like I did with my other changer.
I like the rental slot but I wish I could open it with the remote. You have to push a button on the player. I played a burned CD from a bunch of MP3s I just loaded on my wife's computer from a flash drive. Played perfectly!
Does a good job with standard DVDs but I don't know why anyone would want to waste the real estate.

I'm happy with my new toy. Performs as expected.

Can I ask why you'd like the disc rental slot to open via the remote? You have to walk up to the machine to insert the disc anyway, and I cant believe it takes more than 2 seconds for it to open. (?)

Seems to me that I'd be upset if the REVERSE was the case: just the remote and NOT on the unit.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #363 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Now that the 960 has arrived, I suggest splitting this thread as the issues, especially of control, will be very different.

John
post #364 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

ahhh...the haves and never wills!

just kidding. not the worst idea in the world, perhaps.

James

post #365 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Update on CX7000ES damaging discs:

Since I reported the CX7000ES damaging discs a while back I have not been able to recreate the problem as of yet which leads me to believe that the cause may have been powering off the unit while a disc was being read. I've been testing the unit with about 70 discs for over a week now with no issues. I reported the incident to Sony and they have provided me with excellent support. They even went as far as to phone me up today to collect as much information as possible on the incident so that they could investigate it further. They assured me that this was the first reported case of this problem occuring with the CX7000ES but did not rule out there may have been a problem. At the end of the day Sony has taken my incident report seriously and is following up which is so important in establishing customer confidence in their product. I hope this helps anyone out there who is concerned over my original post. I will keep everyone posted.
post #366 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

ahhh...the haves and never wills!

James

Yep!

John

John
post #367 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post

Now that the 960 has arrived, I suggest splitting this thread as the issues, especially of control, will be very different.

not at this time please...let's see how things go first

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #368 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

how U.S.A...everyone itching to get a divorce, lol.

James

post #369 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Can I ask why you'd like the disc rental slot to open via the remote? You have to walk up to the machine to insert the disc anyway, and I cant believe it takes more than 2 seconds for it to open. (?)

Seems to me that I'd be upset if the REVERSE was the case: just the remote and NOT on the unit.

James

Good point. I didn't think of that.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #370 of 3317 Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM

My BDP-CX960 arrived today. Very easy to set up. I plugged in the HDMI, the cat6 computer cable from my router, and the power plug and I was ready to go. I put in 135 discs and only had to edit 5 discs info. The picture is amazing as expected. It is easy to find a disc because you can sort by number, genre, date, even cast members. Takes about a minute to play once a selection is made. About the same speed as my Samsung BDP-5000 but without the walk from the couch. I haven't found a way to just punch in a number and get straight to a disc like I did with my other changer.
I like the rental slot but I wish I could open it with the remote. You have to push a button on the player. I played a burned CD from a bunch of MP3s I just loaded on my wife's computer from a flash drive. Played perfectly!
Does a good job with standard DVDs but I don't know why anyone would want to waste the real estate.

I'm happy with my new toy. Performs as expected.

Please add you thoughts, comments and experences with this new "gadget".

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #371 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

want to have the rental slot option on the remote?

open the sliding door on the bottom front of the remote : it slides down to reveal 3 more functions: dimmer, rental slot, and load

this is for the ES remote: not sure about the CX unit

Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #372 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Just something for folks to keep in mind: if you're a Best Buy Silver Rewards Member (heck, I think they may have started extending it to ALL rewards members recently, due to the economy), they offer a 10-12% coupon/discount on a single, regularly priced product usually once every month or 2. Luckily, it's usually 10% of ANY product and 12% off any SONY HT component.
Hopefully, if the timing's right, this could be an easy way to knock off about $100 (including tax savings) off the CX upon release. $700 for a 400 DISC Blu-Ray changer strikes me as VERY reasonable, considering many single disc units are still $350 and up

And a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

James

post #373 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 AM

Just ordered my BDP-CX960 from Sony Style website...Can't wait for my new toy!... Was playing around with ripping and playing on PCH NMT...But for me it is too time consuming and problematic...This is a much better space saving solution for me...Oh! Happy Days!...
post #374 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Been one of my points all along in regards to HDD-orientated media centers.

1. It's PITA and time-consuming to rip BD's.
2. Clunky, if non-existent BD menus/functionality.
3. Costly, space-hogging HDD's to get anywhere near the changer storage capacity (15-20 TB's).
4. Backing it all up.
5. No BD Live

The obstacles are real and some are currently insurmountable. HDD media is the future, it's just not there yet.

James

post #375 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

want to have the rental slot option on the remote?

open the sliding door on the bottom front of the remote : it slides down to reveal 3 more functions: dimmer, rental slot, and load

this is for the ES remote: not sure about the CX unit

Found it!

That settles it. This thing is perfect!

By the way, I started another thread for the 960 but my feelings will not be hurt if everyone wants to stay here. There are some differences between the two changers but many will argue that core functionality is the same.

post #376 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found it!

That settles it. This thing is perfect!

By the way, I started another thread for the 960 but my feelings will not be hurt if everyone wants to stay here. There are some differences between the two changers but many will argue that core functionality is the same.

It's not just that they are functionally the same. It's only by keeping the discussions united that we can discern their differences--and to understand whether those differences are meaningful or not.

Thanks,

Nick
post #377 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM

I am hoping to be able to use a program like the DMX 3000 software with this mega changer to show thumbnail pics and operate from my MX-3000 remote the same way I could with my old Sony DVPCX995V unit. I am waiting for a reply from Bracken over at http://www.triplebsoftware.com/home.shtml If this is in the works, I will really be a happy camper...
post #378 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Maybe I missed it - so if this has already been mentioned, please disregard. Yesterday, I received an "in stock" email notice from J&R on the 960 for MSRP. I didn't pull the trigger yet, but may soon.

Trey in Houston
post #379 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

and you think you have disc damage issues with a changer:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...81&postcount=1

post #380 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I am hoping to be able to use a program like the DMX 3000 software with this mega changer to show thumbnail pics and operate from my MX-3000 remote the same way I could with my old Sony DVPCX995V unit. I am waiting for a reply from Bracken over at http://www.triplebsoftware.com/home.shtml If this is in the works, I will really be a happy camper...

Maybe I don't understand....
I have a basic unversal learning remote I use with mine. I took me 5 minutes to program it. When you load your disks the player automatically grabs a thumbnail from the grace note data base. It's on your screen with a thumbnail, the director, date of release, cast members, and genre. all can be updated based on your preferences. For example, any movie that my wife can't watch I'm going to label as "thriller" Any movie we both watch will be labeled "adventure" and any chick flick will be called "romance".
I can choose to sort (with my universal remote) by genre and spend less time fishing through movies I'm not in the mood to watch.

post #381 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Maybe I don't understand....
I have a basic unversal learning remote I use with mine. I took me 5 minutes to program it. When you load your disks the player automatically grabs a thumbnail from the grace note data base. It's on your screen with a thumbnail, the director, date of release, cast members, and genre. all can be updated based on your preferences. For example, any movie that my wife can't watch I'm going to label as "thriller" Any movie we both watch will be labeled "adventure" and any chick flick will be called "romance".
I can choose to sort (with my universal remote) by genre and spend less time fishing through movies I'm not in the mood to watch.

No, you don't understand. The DMX software is designed for a touchscreen URC remote (MX-3000) and provides a thumbnail gallery of movies (on the remote's touchscreen) to "one-touch" select a movie to watch (this would replace using the on screen gui of the Sony changer). It CURRENTLY does not work with the new bd changer because Sony did not include direct disc access via IR control and the DMX software is not currently designed to generate RS232 codes for control. This is a much more complex setup than simply setting up a universal remote to control the changer's on-screen GUI. So, I'm really hoping the software author will find a way to implement control over the changer, but it would also involve my purchasing an additional control unit (MSC400) to connect to the changer's 232 device.

In the end, I will likely be using media server functionality, as, unlike James above, I don't care about menus, bd-live, etc. I just want to watch the main movie in full BD glory with TrueHD or DTS-MA. . .
post #382 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM

So has anyone been able to pit the 2 machines against eachother in PQ & AQ? I am trying to decide if the extra $1000 is justified. Could someone list the differences between the 2 machines and what they might mean in regards to PQ and AQ...

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #383 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM

Check my previous post. probably just a page or two back. I asked if those features are worth the extra price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinViegas View Post

So has anyone been able to pit the 2 machines against eachother in PQ & AQ? I am trying to decide if the extra $1000 is justified. Could someone list the differences between the 2 machines and what they might mean in regards to PQ and AQ...

Thanks in advance for your help.

post #384 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 PM

I didn't know BB had the 400 disk blu ray changer. Shoot. I had the rebate.

Quote:

Just something for folks to keep in mind: if you're a Best Buy Silver Rewards Member (heck, I think they may have started extending it to ALL rewards members recently, due to the economy), they offer a 10-12% coupon/discount on a single, regularly priced product usually once every month or 2. Luckily, it's usually 10% of ANY product and 12% off any SONY HT component.
Hopefully, if the timing's right, this could be an easy way to knock off about $100 (including tax savings) off the CX upon release. $700 for a 400 DISC Blu-Ray changer strikes me as VERY reasonable, considering many single disc units are still $350 and up

And a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

James

post #385 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Any BB has BDP-CX960s in stock NOW?
post #386 of 3317 Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM

So if I'm using a PS3 for my BD playback now, I'll still be getting better PQ and AQ with the changer so I should still be happy? I'm trying to justify to myself that I'm doing good in saving $500+ by getting the lower featured BD changer.

Quote:
I got the 7000 but I would wager that PQ and AQ of the 960 will be just as good. Not gimicks, but some addition tweaks for those that have the time and patience.
post #387 of 3317 Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just checked BB's web site and did not see the player listed unless I missed something.

Who has ever said or has proven that the changer will have better image quality then the PS3?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #388 of 3317 Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post

I
Who has ever said or has proven that the changer will have better image quality then the PS3?

Yeah. What is this baed on? The PS3 generates a fantastic picture. Some people complain that the older version convert everything to PCM instead of being able to bitstream the HD audio tracks, but that should theorectically not make a difference.

Has anyone compared the PS3 to the changer yet?
post #389 of 3317 Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

Yeah. What is this baed on? The PS3 generates a fantastic picture. Some people complain that the older version convert everything to PCM instead of being able to bitstream the HD audio tracks, but that should theorectically not make a difference.

Has anyone compared the PS3 to the changer yet?

I have the 7000, a PS3, Pioneer 05 along with several other "older" players. YMMV, but with my eyes you can't see any difference in blu-ray PQ accoss any of the players released in the last two years. AQ is a different story, but in my opinion any rational to upgrade your blu-ray player for better PQ is a potential disappointment.

Trying to see PQ differences these days is like splitting hairs, it may exist, it but you really need to have an eye for.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #390 of 3317 Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

I have the 7000, a PS3, Pioneer 05 along with several other "older" players. YMMV, but with my eyes you can't see any difference in blu-ray PQ accoss any of the players released in the last two years. AQ is a different story, but in my opinion any rational to upgrade your blu-ray player for better PQ is a potential disappointment.

Trying to see PQ differences these days is like splitting hairs, it may exist, it but you really need to have an eye for.

Take heed, mortals . . . (quoting Ishmael, from Moby Dick).

He's right.

The real differences will be in the source itself, i.e., the disc. Quite a letdown for those of us that want to assure ourselves of owning the best by spending the most.

Thanks,

Nick
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page