Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Crossing fingers everything works when I get it. I found out it shipped a day earlier. I should have my 960 by today (Thursday) not Friday. Knowing my luck, it's broken or I won't be able to get it to fit where my old Sony 400disk dvd changer is sitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 AM

Here is the BDP-CX960 Manual PDF.
post #453 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Here are a couple of enhancement requests:

1) Allow 'Sort By' and 'Group Content' to be based on disc type (BD, DVD, CD). Perhaps this could be in addition to the regular 'Sort By' and 'Group Content' selections.
2) Save restart information for more than one disc. Why not save it for all discs, except for Java BDs where it's not supported, and give the user the option of starting over or resuming from the last point? The defaults could remain the same: 'Start' if not played or sitting at menu or 'Resume' if last use was during the film. Another Sony player I have saves resume information on the last five DVDs viewed, even if they have been removed from the player, so I'm pretty sure this is possible.
post #454 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 AM

RegGuheert thanks for the pdf and +1on your #1 & #2.

I also just noticed that for DVD-Rs, the player only allows for disc title info to be entered. No artist, genre, year, etc. Most of my DVD-Rs are home movies (others are back-up copies of DVDs I own but were destroyed) but I'd still like to have that info show in the menu.
post #455 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Forgot to ask this. a bit late now that I should be getting mine today, but does the 960 do auto Blu-ray updates for the firmware like the ps3 does?
post #456 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak View Post

Forgot to ask this. a bit late now that I should be getting mine today, but does the 960 do auto Blu-ray updates for the firmware like the ps3 does?

yes.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #457 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone found discrete power codes for the CX960 yet? I know it came up a while ago but I was wondering if someone has found them yet. I have a Pronto 7500 and would love to have power discrete for this unit.

Thanks in advance
post #458 of 3322 Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Ok, out of 49 disks, it missed 5. Not sure what 5 yet as my daughter wanted to watch Horton Hears a WHo. But now this brings me up to audio... It's not in digital surround. I have it going via HDMI to my Sony reciever. And it's not using center channel or anything. Is it that show? Or did I not set something right on the player?

UPDATE(a few hours later)- Not sure what setting I did, but I got Dolby digital to work now. I hope it sticks. Strange, it couldn't find "Monster vs Aliens" and except two other Blu-rays, the rest was like "disk2" of a Blu-ray.
post #459 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 AM

It took me a little while to get Dolby Digital to work, as well. I don't have an HDMI receiver, so I'm just using the optical output. Even though I felt like the on-screen menu was pretty clear, I still wasn't getting it. Finally, I resorted to the manual to confirm my settings. In my case, I think the key settings were:

Setup->Audio Settings->Audio Ouput Priority = Coaxial/Optical (Default was HDMI)
Setup->Audio Settings->Dolby Digital = Dolby Digital (Default was Downmix PCM)
Setup->Audio Settings->DTS = DTS (Default was Downmix PCM)

In any case, it's working now for DVDs and BDs, so no worries.
post #460 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM

Hi all,

I can now confirm that My Movies 3, when released on October 22'nd will have basic support for the BDP-CX7000ES.

Basic support means that you in the Collection Management program add titles from our WebService, and mark which slot in the changer the title is in.

There will be a plug-in structure available by the release, allowing users to create .NET dll plug-ins that receives an event when a disc is loaded, to automatically switch inputs from the Media Center PC to the input the changer is connected to.

I hope that we later on will be able to extend the functionality to allow the program to automatically go through each disc in the changer, and index and add them automatically, as well as remove/change the title repository whenever a change of discs occurs in the changer.

Similar, we would like to improve the implementation to allow the plug-ins to receive events when discs are stopped, allowing the plug-ins to switch the input back to the Media Center PC.

But, the changer is now going to be supported with basic operation that will be enough for most people.

Regards,

Brian Binnerup
My Movies

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #461 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnerup View Post

I can now confirm that My Movies 3, when released on October 22'nd will have basic support for the BDP-CX7000ES.

Interesting! Can I assume the CX960 will also be supported, since this is done through the Ethernet port? Or is there software needed to support this that is missing from the CX960? Thanks!
post #462 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

Interesting! Can I assume the CX960 will also be supported, since this is done through the Ethernet port? Or is there software needed to support this that is missing from the CX960? Thanks!

This you are incorrect about - the changers can not be controlled through the ethernet port, but only through the RS232 (serial port).

Since the BDP-CX7000ES is the only one with the RS232 port, it is the only one that can be controlled externally (of the BD players).

This is the main and post important difference between the two changers.

The RS232 serial port is beginning to disappear from many PC's, but instead an USB to RS232 adapter can be used.

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #463 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:

This you are incorrect about - the changers can not be controlled through the ethernet port, but only through the RS232 (serial port).

Good point. It wouldn't make sense for Sony to allow control through the ethernet port: that would prevent them from charging US$1100.00 for an out-of-date serial port connector.

OpenHT, anyone?
post #464 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Just another thing I noticed, I had my unit set to power with the HDMI connection. When the unit is scanning disks and you turn off your tv or reciever or change to a different input, it turns off the player. so it stops the scanning.
And I have the menu screen set to 1080P. Every time I go from my movie to player menu(Movie playing at 1080P), it shows the player menu, then makes a pop sound,blanks screen and then comes back on. Maybe it's my Sony revciever.. just annoying that's all.
post #465 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the BDP-CX7000ES is the only one with the RS232 port, it is the only one that can be controlled externally (of the BD players).

This is the main and post important difference between the two changers.

The RS232 serial port is beginning to disappear from many PC's, but instead an USB to RS232 adapter can be used.

Very Nice. Thank you!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #466 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Has anybdy removed the usb key and checked to see if the data information could be edited? I'm not at home to try that. But since I noticed ALL art covers for the boxed set of BSG series doesn't load.

And while thank heaven the title can be longer than the old 400disk dvd changer Sony had, noticed it doesn't scroll. I noticed almost everything I have that was a boxed set won't display the title competely. And no scrolling.
Example:
Battlestar Galactica the boxed set: (Disk1) Season 1
would look like:
Battlestar Galactica the boxed set: (Di

Or
James Bond collection boxed set1 (Dr.no Spy who loved me die another day)
would look like:
James Bond collection boxed set

So for either set, I don't know what disk it is. I guess I would have to manualy edit the title.

Another question since I didn't try this yet. If I eject or just remove without hitting the eject button a disk that I edited the title and I put it back in, does the player remember my edit for the title? Or will I loose my edit?
And
If the disk was unknown from Gracenotes and I edit it, and tell the playe to scan a month from now, if there is Gracenotes, will it overwrite my edit with new data?
And if it was still unknown disk, will it make my edit go back to unknown disk?
post #467 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:

And while thank heaven the title can be longer than the old 400disk dvd changer Sony had, noticed it doesn't scroll. I noticed almost everything I have that was a boxed set won't display the title competely. And no scrolling.
Example:
Battlestar Galactica the boxed set: (Disk1) Season 1
would look like:
Battlestar Galactica the boxed set: (Di

Or
James Bond collection boxed set1 (Dr.no Spy who loved me die another day)
would look like:
James Bond collection boxed set

So for either set, I don't know what disk it is. I guess I would have to manualy edit the title.

Not always. Sometimes, you can simply do a load for that disc as I had previously mentioned and the actual title of the movie may be there. I have a boxed set of Bond movies which contained 44 disks and about 5 of them came up as part of some other boxed set. Still, if I reloaded them, a couple let me select the *real* title of the movie.

Funny how "Superman: The Movie" comes up as "The Best Of Blu-Ray Disc, Vol. 3(Disc 4)" as the preferred name, with the real name second. It is true that I bought it as part of that set, but I don't understand why Gracenote thinks I want to remember it that way.

Here are the instructions for an individual disc load:
Quote:

Just a quick follow up here:

I've learned that on some of the discs which Gracenote did not "load" properly the first time around, I was able to highlight the disc in the menu, click "OPTIONS" on the remote and then select "LOAD". This "Load" is a little different than the one which loads all the discs in that it sometimes will give you a list of choices to pick from after consulting with the Gracenote database. Anyway, I was able to "fix" some entries by doing this without having to enter the information manually. Still waiting for data on Star Trek Next Generation movies...

post #468 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Has anybdy removed the usb key and checked to see if the data information could be edited?

I don't think it's stored on the USB drive, since I don't have one installed, yet.
post #469 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

No wonder it uses such small pictures for the art covers.

Quote:

I don't think it's stored on the USB drive, since I don't have one installed, yet.

post #470 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 01:30 PM

A 400 disc Blu-Ray changer? Are there even 400 Blu-Ray releases worth owning? That being said, it's a sharp looking component.
post #471 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Here are the instructions for an individual disc load:

Thanks! I'll try that. I didn't know it'll give you choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benniator View Post

A 400 disc Blu-Ray changer? Are there even 400 Blu-Ray releases worth owning? That being said, it's a sharp looking component.

Well my 400disk DVD changer was 300+. Not that 300 was individual movies. Some are "extras" dvds.

And well, the 400Blu-ray player can still be loaded with DVDs if you wanted to.
post #472 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 02:54 PM

I'm looking to purchase a USB stick for the CX960. So far, I've decided that I want to get one that is physically as small as possible. I'm convinced that if I get something too large, I'm sure to break both it and the player while rooching around with cables in the back of the cabinet.

Right now I'm looking at this 16GB PQI device. I figure I can break off the sliding plastic cover and it will then only stick out the back of the unit about 1 cm or so.

Any thoughts on this? Is 16GB enough? Too much? I've never had BonusView or BDLive before, so I don't know what gets stored on these things. Also, does anyone know of a unit any shorter than this one (3.2 cm)? TIA!

Edit: Here's one that's precisely the size I'd like. Hopefully I can get a decent price on one...

Edit 2: Found the EagleTec USB Nano Flash Drive here. $35 for 8GB and $23 for 4GB. Not cheap, but I should never have to worry about it getting broken off!
post #473 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM

I just used one of the spare 4GB sandisks I had for my son's school. The instructions said 1-2GB so 4GB would be safe. Someone said the art is stored in the player so I can't see it needing tons of space unless you have lots of Blu-ray live stuff.
post #474 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benniator View Post

It took me 7 years to fill up my Pioneer 727 301 disk changer.
post #475 of 3322 Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufazi View Post

RegGuheert thanks for the pdf and +1on your #1 & #2.

I also just noticed that for DVD-Rs, the player only allows for disc title info to be entered. No artist, genre, year, etc. Most of my DVD-Rs are home movies (others are back-up copies of DVDs I own but were destroyed) but I'd still like to have that info show in the menu.

I've got the same problem, and it's a big one! Like you, most of my discs are home movies. That's pretty much why I bough the unit in the first place. Has anyone found a way to allow for more than just the disc title?
post #476 of 3322 Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

It took me 7 years to fill up my Pioneer 727 301 disk changer.

I already need a 2nd changer. And I don't load the bonus disks. Some folks are just serious movie addicts!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #477 of 3322 Old 10-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Basic support means that you in the Collection Management program add titles from our WebService, and mark which slot in the changer the title is in.

There will be a plug-in structure available by the release, allowing users to create .NET dll plug-ins that receives an event when a disc is loaded, to automatically switch inputs from the Media Center PC to the input the changer is connected to.

I hope that we later on will be able to extend the functionality to allow the program to automatically go through each disc in the changer, and index and add them automatically, as well as remove/change the title repository whenever a change of discs occurs in the changer.

Similar, we would like to improve the implementation to allow the plug-ins to receive events when discs are stopped, allowing the plug-ins to switch the input back to the Media Center PC.

But, the changer is now going to be supported with basic operation that will be enough for most people.

Regards,

Brian Binnerup
My Movies

Brian,

As always thanks for the great work and listening to the community to give us features we request. That is what makes My Movies the best program out there. You listen to suggestions and update when new features are introduced!! Glad you got the changer too =)
post #478 of 3322 Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Just a quick follow up here:

I've learned that on some of the discs which Gracenote did not "load" properly the first time around, I was able to highlight the disc in the menu, click "OPTIONS" on the remote and then select "LOAD". This "Load" is a little different than the one which loads all the discs in that it sometimes will give you a list of choices to pick from after consulting with the Gracenote database. Anyway, I was able to "fix" some entries by doing this without having to enter the information manually. Still waiting for data on Star Trek Next Generation movies...

Just got my 7000es today. Loaded up 67 discs, it loaded up 65 of them correctly, the other 2 (The Road Warrior and Training Day) I had the same issue as Reg. It came up The Best of Blue Ray Vol 3. However, as Reg stated, I highlighted the move, pressed Options, Load and it came up with 2 options, Best of... and the correct title. I selected the correct title and the problem is fixed.

Thanks Reg.

Boy this thing is a monster. Glad I was able to free up the top space of my rack.
post #479 of 3322 Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone evaluated the differences between the ES and Non ES versions - is there a picture quality difference?
post #480 of 3322 Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Saw my first 960 tonight in best buy. Its as large as most receivers. Tempting as I have coupons this week, I was just planning on the LG390 or Pio320....I haven't got my new onkyo receiver in the rack yet let alone a blue ray that size.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page