Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

I don't think there have been ANY PQ differences between blu-ray players for at least the last 18 months, maybe more. Not a surprise.

UW:

Thanks, but my question is directed to a comparision of the 7000 vs the 960's performance on DVD upscaling. I am quite pleased with my PS3's DVD upscaling on my 106" screen in my theater.

I don't want to go backward if I upgrade to the NON-ES version of this player. However, since none of the members of this thread have compared the PS3 and the 960 or the 7000 from what I can see this MAY remain a mystery.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

Woow, I don't own the ES After reading the 960 manual, It seems that you can defeet the scalier.

Again, if you do not have a really good video processor, then buy the ES, or, if you need the other items that the ES has...read my last post

Is that what you are doing when you play DVD's in the unit? In other words do you manually go in and change HDMI out to 480i? I prefer not to do that as the Integra DTR 8.8 I have in the theater has a SD-HD colorpsace scaling and transcoding bug. Given same I need a BD player with excellent scaling. If the ES is better then that's the beast I need - even at 2x the cost.

post #543 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Is that what you are doing when you play DVD's in the unit? In other words do you manually go in and change HDMI out to 480i? I prefer not to do that as the Integra DTR 8.8 I have in the theater has a SD-HD colorpsace scaling and transcoding bug. Given same I need a BD player with excellent scaling. If the ES is better then that's the beast I need - even at 2x the cost.

I have the 885 with the Color Space issue; it is a slight tint shift that can be tuned out (in reality, the differences between displays is much hugher issue then this.) Now, on the Transcoding issue, I have no clue on this.

If you are going to spend another 1K, why don't you sell your receiver and spend the 1k on another unit, or, spend the 1K on a stand alone Scalier/ De-Inerlacer like the DVDO unit (think it is $799.00)
post #544 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 885 with the Color Space issue; it is a slight tint shift that can be tuned out (in reality, the differences between displays is much hugher issue then this.) Now, on the Transcoding issue, I have no clue on this.

If you are going to spend another 1K, why don't you sell your receiver and spend the 1k on another unit, or, spend the 1K on a stand alone Scalier/ De-Inerlacer like the DVDO unit (think it is $799.00)

B&W:

Thanks. That's an interesting approach I' didn't think about the shift to the NON-ES unit to save the 1k and use it elsewhere. I wanted to have the RS232 option on the changer for future use but need to discuss that with my installer since it's only going to be a theater use item.

I have been told by my installer (and UMR) that tuning it out is not possible (unless we of course have a projector with discrete imputs one for SD colorspace shift sources and one for HD colorspace sources).

For now no new receiver because:
1) I am saving to invest in a new projector, and
2) I don't want a new receiver that is NOT HDMI 1.4 compatible to be replaced next year when 1.3 is obsolete.

I only use the SCALER/Transcoding in the Integra for: 1) LD sources (generally the colors are sufficiently off given the quality of the source discs), and 2) would use it if the BD/CD transport (ala the new Sony BD changer) was not at least as good as the PS3.

Using a transport based scaler (producing a HD source output) gets me around the DTR 8.8's inherent colorspace flaw.

post #545 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With nearly 350 discs in my first changer, I must say that the Gracenote ID scheme is beginning to falter badly. I have probably 50 discs that are not identified (I don't want to go power up to confirm the number--I'll get back to the thread on the amount).

Off the top of my head, discs like Blade 1, 2, & 3, Sin City, Chocolat, Fringe Season 1, and numerous others . . . only have a number. Tomorrow, I'll develop a complete list.

I seem to recall reading that someone said that they couldn't get the Spiderman discs, and I believe that I do get them (looked up, that is). I'm concerned that, after my first "load" of about 250 discs, with only a few misses, I've had an inordinately disproportionate amount of failed lookups.

Let's start to identify what we can't find, and perhaps we'll find that others have not had the same fate. That would speak to some issue with the lookup feature.

I'll start on this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Nick
post #546 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

B&W:

Thanks. That's an interesting approach I' didn't think about the shift to the NON-ES unit to save the 1k and use it elsewhere. I wanted to have the RS232 option on the changer for future use but need to discuss that with my installer since it's only going to be a theater use item.

I have been told by my installer (and UMR) that tuning it out is not possible (unless we of course have a projector with discrete imputs one for SD colorspace shift sources and one for HD colorspace sources).

Again, if you need a serial port, that is a different story. On the Color Space issue, it is small. Does your projector have multiple video settings, if so, this is where you can take care of the problem. Do you have a remote that lets you do Macros? Then it is a One Button Push for all your setting

Quote:

I only use the SCALER/Transcoding in the Integra for: 1) LD sources (generally the colors are sufficiently off given the quality of the source discs), and 2) would use it if the BD/CD transport (ala the new Sony BD changer) was not at least as good as the PS3.

Using a transport based scaler (producing a HD source output) gets me around the DTR 8.8's inherent colorspace flaw.

If you are serious about your Hometheater and you are using a projector, you need a separate Video Processor. On the HDMI 1.4, well, spending another 1k on a Bluray changer will not help you with that. If you are worried about 1.4, then don't buy anything yet Again the ES model wont help you with that On the scaling of the PS3...I don't think that it would take much to beat it
post #547 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, if you need a serial port, that is a different story. On the Color Space issue, it is small. Does your projector have multiple video settings...

If you are serious about your Hometheater and you are using a projector, you need a separate Video Processor. On the HDMI 1.4, well, spending another 1k on a Bluray changer will not help you with that. If you are worried about 1.4, then don't buy anything yet Again the ES model wont help you with that On the scaling of the PS3...I don't think that it would take much to beat it

Yes to the first. I can have my installer and calibrator - for yet another fee - address multiple memories on the Projector for one video imput, but I have not bothered since I do so given my very limited (<5% time) spent with SD sources in the last few years. Given my intent to get a new projector I haven't the heart to spend money to re-calibrate the old one.

I do like my PS3 quite a bit. It's just nice while I wait for 1.4 or 3D or the next big thing to have all of those discs on tap. If the ES did SACD on top of the BD/DVD it would be a slam dunk. Just like the Mini-Disc, ATRAC and other formats Sony creates them and abandons them just as fast. Silly given the price point for the ES unit.

Decisions decisions. When did CE become like the Computer game? The water is never "just right" is it?

post #548 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you seen the colorspace issue? Have you seen the Integra compaired to proper colorspace? Also, do you have a programmable remote? If so, which one?
post #549 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

With nearly 350 discs in my first changer, I must say that the Gracenote ID scheme is beginning to falter badly. I have probably 50 discs that are not identified (I don't want to go power up to confirm the number--I'll get back to the thread on the amount).

Off the top of my head, discs like Blade 1, 2, & 3, Sin City, Chocolat, Fringe Season 1, and numerous others . . . only have a number. Tomorrow, I'll develop a complete list.

I seem to recall reading that someone said that they couldn't get the Spiderman discs, and I believe that I do get them (looked up, that is). I'm concerned that, after my first "load" of about 250 discs, with only a few misses, I've had an inordinately disproportionate amount of failed lookups.

Let's start to identify what we can't find, and perhaps we'll find that others have not had the same fate. That would speak to some issue with the lookup feature.

Thanks,

Nick

Sin City worked fine on mine. Where did you get Blade 1,2 and 3?
Is it Blu ray?

Monsters vs, Aliens did not work and Chaos and Crank 1 did not as well.
Probably 5 discs ourt of 141.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #550 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen the colorspace issue? Have you seen the Integra compaired to proper colorspace?

I'd like to think I have - but again I play so little SD material (much of which is not that great older Laserdisc material). I have not verified it personally I just know the unit has the bug.

I have done everything I can to avoid seeing it.

Does your second question mean using the integra for HD colorspace and confirming it is properly calibrated? If so NO. I don't use the Integra's scalar/transcoding EXCEPT for LD sources. I use "through" mode and turn off "immediate display" to pass all HD sources as is. My primary source (the theater is under construction right now) was a PS3 from day one. The LD was added two years later.

post #551 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Nick

400 disks entered, the following had issues:

Bedtime Stories – No data or cover art
Crank – No data or cover art
Daddy Day Camp – No data or cover art
Entrapment – No data or cover art
POC Dead Man’s Chest – No cover art
Talladega Nights Ballad of Ricky Bobby – No data or cover art
Michael Clayton – No data or cover art
House of Flying Daggers – Data avail, no cover art

As I went through the disks I did find 3 or 4 that had no cover art when I first loaded the disks, but now do have data and cover art. Soooo Gracenote is slowly updating their data base.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #552 of 3335 Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not verified it personally I just know the unit has the bug.

I have done everything I can to avoid seeing it.

It is a tint shift. If you used a video processor that was not as powerfull, You would not have as good as an image as your unit with this tint shift issue

I will bet you that the ES model, running video thru Bypass on your Receiver doesn’t look as good as running the video thru the Reon processor on the non-ES model But you will never know...maybe you should try it.
post #553 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Purchased the 960 yesterday. As I have multiple changers, set the BD code to BD2 in the setup menu.

(BD1 = code 310; BD2 = 311; BD3 =312)

Now my remote cannot be set to BD2 (worked with Sony tech on this and could not get this to work).

Then tried to set my 4400 ES Receiver BD code to 311 (again worked with Sony tech and finally they explained the 960 was a year newer than the 4400 so they were not compatible? Seems unlikely).

Beware, there appears to be no overall reset except WITHIN the setup menu. e.g. no apparent sequence of buttons on the changer that will perform a master reset.

So I am in a catch 22; can't get into the menu because no remote can access the menu.

Later today, I will be working with their Level 2 support.
post #554 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 AM

(All apologies members) I fixed the issue myself. And there is not an issue with the unit so far. Now loading discs. Regards.
post #555 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

400 disks entered, the following had issues:

Bedtime Stories - No data or cover art
Crank - No data or cover art
Daddy Day Camp - No data or cover art
Entrapment - No data or cover art
POC Dead Man's Chest - No cover art
Talladega Nights Ballad of Ricky Bobby - No data or cover art
Michael Clayton - No data or cover art
House of Flying Daggers - Data avail, no cover art

As I went through the disks I did find 3 or 4 that had no cover art when I first loaded the disks, but now do have data and cover art. Soooo Gracenote is slowly updating their data base.

Well this has to be the best outcome yet, in respect to the unit retrieving BD/DVD data/images. At only 8 hiccups for 400 discs, I think most reasonable people would find that tolerable.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #556 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 02:14 PM

The Balled of Rickie Bobby (PS3 Release Edition, Not the generally available Unrated Edition)
Star Trek Next Gen Movies, (not in English)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (no English)
Spiderman Trilogy (poorly labeled by Gracenotes)
Most of the James Bond Box sets
Firefly (series) German (i think) and no English

I really think that we need a separate Thread, just for Gracenotes issues, as new things start to use it, more than just these two players will be able to contribute to the discussion. Is there any way to get the Information to Gracenote to get their stuff together.
post #557 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axlrod View Post

I really think that we need a separate Thread, just for Gracenotes issues, as new things start to use it, more than just these two players will be able to contribute to the discussion. Is there any way to get the Information to Gracenote to get their stuff together.

best to keep it all in one thread in my opinion

Looking at Gracenote's web page, you need to be a license holder to contact them with issues

There are several other services that compete with Gracenotes: if you ever looked at AudioRequest software it gives you the option of selecting several competing services for cover art: none are perfect though: even iTunes has competition for these services

Looking at the serial port capabilities it may be possible to select from competing services to provide cover art: perhaps best done by one of the integration programs being developed

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #558 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

Sin City worked fine on mine. Where did you get Blade 1,2 and 3?
Is it Blu ray?

Monsters vs, Aliens did not work and Chaos and Crank 1 did not as well.
Probably 5 discs ourt of 141.

Hmmm . . . I'm beginning to think that a title unfound initially doesn't get "looked up" again, even if you tell the changer to "load" it.

Hopefully, I'll find the energy to to do this tonight. If not, sometime soon.

Everything in my BDP-CX7000ES is Blu-ray. I believe I got the Blade discs from Amazon.

Thanks,

Nick
post #559 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, to go through the 50+ unfound discs is very tedious, at least when positioned from the couch. I'll do it the right way tomorrow, but my small sampling (7 discs) convinces me we have some issues.

The first seven "unfound" discs contained some alarmingly popular titles. The list of seven is:

1. Sin City
2. Michael Clayton
3. Bolt
4. Sopranos Season Six, Part II Disc 2
5. Talladega Nights
6. The Fifth Element
7. Entrapment

Testing a theory, I removed all seven discs, placed them in new slots, and had the changer look them up.

On this occasion, two of the above 7 (Bolt and Fifth Element) were found, and the content displayed. Since one other poster has reported that his Sin City is fine, I tried that and Michael Clayton in two different slots, and still they remained unfound.

Tomorrow, I'll simply unload all the unfound discs, and put them in different slots, and see what further remediation occurs. But this is suggesting a pretty unstable lookup feature, at least in my unit. Time will tell.

Thanks,

Nick
post #560 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm . . . I'm beginning to think that a title unfound initially doesn't get "looked up" again, even if you tell the changer to "load" it.

If it is like the 995csx, you will have to remove the disc, rotate the carousel, so that it reads the empty slot, then replace the disc, and reload it.
post #561 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

If it is like the 995csx, you will have to remove the disc, rotate the carousel, so that it reads the empty slot, then replace the disc, and reload it.

Hmmm . . . see my post, just above yours. However, I did not let the Carousel sweep the slots, so perhaps that will make a difference. More tomorrow.

Thanks,

Nick
post #562 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, to go through the 50+ unfound discs is very tedious, at least when positioned from the couch. I'll do it the right way tomorrow, but my small sampling (7 discs) convinces me we have some issues.

The first seven "unfound" discs contained some alarmingly popular titles. The list of seven is:

1. Sin City
2. Michael Clayton
3. Bolt
5. Talladega Nights
6. The Fifth Element
7. Entrapment

Testing a theory, I removed all seven discs, placed them in new slots, and had the changer look them up.

On this occasion, two of the above 7 (Bolt and Fifth Element) were found, and the content displayed. Since one other poster has reported that his Sin City is fine, I tried that and Michael Clayton in two different slots, and still they remained unfound.

Tomorrow, I'll simply unload all the unfound discs, and put them in different slots, and see what further remediation occurs. But this is suggesting a pretty unstable lookup feature, at least in my unit. Time will tell.

Thanks,

Nick

Well I agree on Talledega Nights, Entrapment and Michael Clayton. Bolt and The Fifth Element Came through fine. Strange

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #563 of 3335 Old 10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm . . . see my post, just above yours. However, I did not let the Carousel sweep the slots, so perhaps that will make a difference. More tomorrow.

Thanks,

Nick

I generally like to have mine in a certain order, and thought you might too. Your solution works for the same reason mine does, but mine will let you use the same slot, if you want. Sweeping an empty slot, then later finding a disc in the same slot, will cause it to reload. Otherwise, it remembers it has already tried that disc.
post #564 of 3335 Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 AM

Just wondering, can any of you confirm that your missing gracenote titles are Blu-Rays or DVD?

Out of my 400 titles (150 Blu, 250 DVD), only a few Blu-Rays didn't show up (Crouching Tiger, a couple of Criterion titles), but much, much more DVDs didn't (30 +).
post #565 of 3335 Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufazi View Post

Just wondering, can any of you confirm that your missing gracenote titles are Blu-Rays or DVD?

Out of my 400 titles (150 Blu, 250 DVD), only a few Blu-Rays didn't show up (Crouching Tiger, a couple of Criterion titles), but much, much more DVDs didn't (30 +).

All 400 of my titles are blu-ray, 8 of which had lookup issues through Gracenote.

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #566 of 3335 Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:

1. Sin City
2. Michael Clayton
3. Bolt
5. Talladega Nights
6. The Fifth Element
7. Entrapment

Thanks,

Nick

1. Sin City No Problem

3. Bolt No problem

6. The Fifth Element No problem

7. Entrapment No cover art

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #567 of 3335 Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!"

I miss the quality of the old rosewood sided Pioneer Elite equipment.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #568 of 3335 Old 10-21-2009, 04:47 PM

How long does it take for your 7000 changer to boot up into the Home screen. Mine sits for a little over 2 1/2 minutes (155 seconds) on the please wait till it goes to the home screen. When I first got it I thought it was quicker. Is this normal. How long do all others here take to boot from when you push power to when it gets to home screen?
post #569 of 3335 Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremxterra View Post

How long does it take for your 7000 changer to boot up into the Home screen. Mine sits for a little over 2 1/2 minutes (155 seconds) on the please wait till it goes to the home screen. When I first got it I thought it was quicker. Is this normal. How long do all others here take to boot from when you push power to when it gets to home screen?

I find that it varies as it appears the unit reads the last disc played or accessed before it goes to the Home screen. The less complex that disc (SD or BD) the shorter the boot up.

John
post #570 of 3335 Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 PM

Need help with 960CX and Harmony One.

I am using the 7000ES remote buttons from the Harmony database. Where i need help is I am unable to get the "OK" button on the Harmony to correspond with the appropriate button selection for CX960, I believe on the CX960 remote it is the middle button that looks like a "+", same location as the OK on the Harmony.

This results in the inability to select an icon in the GUI. When I want to make a selection I have to go back to the Sony remote.

Any suggestions?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com