Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reporting on the CX960,

I just loaded 89 BD but have not checked to see if any of them are damaged. Loading took like 45mins!
I only wish it has the interface of My Movies 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsuser008 View Post

Reporting on the CX960,

I just loaded 89 BD but have not checked to see if any of them are damaged. Loading took like 45mins!
I only wish it has the interface of My Movies 3

Why not use my movies 3? Soon you will be able to have my movies load movies that are in changer so you do not have to manually add the discs.
post #633 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Any word on Netflix / Slacker streaming for these?
post #634 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Scaling and upconversion appear better than my PS3; also better than the faroudja chip built into my receiver. It really does fool me into believing DVD's are HD as opposed to merely "looking better."

I got a faulty remote. The cover for the batteries does not fit snugly. Sony is sending another remote.

Load time is on par with my PS3 and faster than my BD 350. However, there is a nice icon that shows up on the screen that tells you it is loading. Eases the pain in a sense . . . nice touch.

No scratches. This is about my 5th changer and have not had an issue.

Most of my BluRays and DVDs are concerts. Estimating a 70% hit rate. Not an issue as I really like the interface. Scrolling is SUPER fast.

The biggest improvement I would like to see on the interface is voice recognition. (As I have a 2010 Mustang with the Microsoft Sync system that allows me to tell the system which artist or track to play.)

2 DVD's mistakenly made entries in the "pictures" section. I believe others have reported this issue. And have not yet figured out how to delete these entries.

Chose the ES7000 from the Logitech database for my Harmony One and it works fine except for the "enter" button. Fixed that.

For me, the overall convenience factor and pq make this an enjoyable addition to my system.
post #635 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremxterra View Post

Why not use my movies 3? Soon you will be able to have my movies load movies that are in changer so you do not have to manually add the discs.

Are you saying that My Movies can, or will soon, control a CX960? How will it do this without an RS232 port? It would be great to hear that My Movies can control a CX960 like it can the CX7000!
post #636 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Here is a link to the damaged disc photos caused by the CX7000ES
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/

Again, Sony has been very cooperative and I hope to receive my new unit soon. Let me know if you can access the photos ok.
post #637 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 12:50 PM

FYI: I tried accessing the photos by clicking on the link I provided but an error occured. However, if you cut and paste the URL in the address bar it works fine.
post #638 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs777 View Post

Are you saying that My Movies can, or will soon, control a CX960? How will it do this without an RS232 port? It would be great to hear that My Movies can control a CX960 like it can the CX7000!

CEC via HDMI???

Chip

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #639 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think he's saying that MyMovies will have the ability to auto load every title in the 7000. Today that is a manual input for all 400 titles. I can't see how the 960 would use MyMovies unless some IP type control could be used in place of RS232

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #640 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 03:04 PM

But I thought that the Sony changer software used Gracenote to load disc info, and that you only had to manually enter disc info for those discs that were not recognized (rightly or wrongly) by the Gracenote look up. Based on that, are you saying that MM3 provides an alternative to the cumbersome manual info entry in the Sony GUI, and that it will also do this for both Sony changers?

I'm tech savvy, but whatever MM3 provides with respect to the Sony changers is not intuitive - thanks for any clarification.
post #641 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

I think he's saying that MyMovies will have the ability to auto load every title in the 7000. Today that is a manual input for all 400 titles. I can't see how the 960 would use MyMovies unless some IP type control could be used in place of RS232

there is no IP control of these changers
post #642 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I thought that the Sony changer software used Gracenote to load disc info, and that you only had to manually enter disc info for those discs that were not recognized (rightly or wrongly) by the Gracenote look up. Based on that, are you saying that MM3 provides an alternative to the cumbersome manual info entry in the Sony GUI, and that it will also do this for both Sony changers?

I'm tech savvy, but whatever MM3 provides with respect to the Sony changers is not intuitive - thanks for any clarification.

MM3 has an extensive Movie database ( in the 650 or so movies I've entered into my collection it has had everyone). You enter a movie title or any of a couple other ways, and it searches their data base for the movie, metadata, front and back covers ect. Much easier than the manual movie entry required through the sony to make up missing or incorrect Gracenote information

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #643 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

there is no IP control of these changers

Thanks for info, just hoping! I really don't want to buy a 2nd 7000, but.....

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #644 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Thanks for info, just hoping! I really don't want to buy a 2nd 7000, but.....

couple of my observations:

These Sony BD changers will probably be the only BD changers that will be brought to market for some time

Sony has developed a changer platform that can support third party control solutions via RS232: we have heard of many of them in this thread: also integrator programs such as RTI are being written for two way control

I don't understand the big price difference between the 2 models but you are kind of stuck buying the ES if you want the option of external control going forward
post #645 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the clarifications. For my needs, it doesn't look like MM3, or any other third party application, would provide what I really want for the CX960, which is external control.

May I take this opportunity to encourage someone as a DIY or aftermarket opportunity to look into modding a CX960 to add RS232 control? The common architecture and shared parts between the 7000 and 960 tells me this may be possible, and perhaps even straightforward, but not intuitive (at least not to me). I would be a potential customer for such a mod (provided it was a fraction of the cost of the price diff between the 960 and 7000, of course). I also realize this would void the Sony warranty, but so be it.
post #646 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MM3 has an extensive Movie database ( in the 650 or so movies I've entered into my collection it has had everyone). You enter a movie title or any of a couple other ways, and it searches their data base for the movie, metadata, front and back covers ect. Much easier than the manual movie entry required through the sony to make up missing or incorrect Gracenote information

UW69:

Does MM3 interface or update this data with/to the changers? Or is it just for viewing the changer's contents on a computer connected to same?

Thanks

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #647 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrb634 View Post

Scaling and upconversion appear better than my PS3; also better than the faroudja chip built into my receiver. It really does fool me into believing DVD's are HD as opposed to merely "looking better."

I got a faulty remote. The cover for the batteries does not fit snugly. Sony is sending another remote.

Load time is on par with my PS3 and faster than my BD 350. However, there is a nice icon that shows up on the screen that tells you it is loading. Eases the pain in a sense . . . nice touch.

No scratches. This is about my 5th changer and have not had an issue.

Most of my BluRays and DVDs are concerts. Estimating a 70% hit rate. Not an issue as I really like the interface. Scrolling is SUPER fast.

Chose the ES7000 from the Logitech database for my Harmony One and it works fine except for the "enter" button. Fixed that.

For me, the overall convenience factor and pq make this an enjoyable addition to my system.

BBRB634:

What is your display? Is the 960 connected directly to same? Is your display's scaler/de-interlacer turned off when you conduct these tests?

Thanks.

I am trying to decide between the 960 and the 7000ES. Your comments may help with my debate.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #648 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So it's been established that these units won't find disc info for bd-rs. Now, what if the original disc was loaded then replaced by the copy?

Would it retain the data?
post #649 of 3317 Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

So it's been established that these units won't find disc info for bd-rs. Now, what if the original disc was loaded then replaced by the copy?

Would it retain the data?

Tried this and no dice. Once you pull out the original and put in the BD-R it automatically searches Gracenote for the title. I see no way to do it, other than manually entering the movie.
post #650 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

I'm looking to purchase a USB stick for the CX960. So far, I've decided that I want to get one that is physically as small as possible. I'm convinced that if I get something too large, I'm sure to break both it and the player while rooching around with cables in the back of the cabinet.

Right now I'm looking at this 16GB PQI device. I figure I can break off the sliding plastic cover and it will then only stick out the back of the unit about 1 cm or so.

Any thoughts on this? Is 16GB enough? Too much? I've never had BonusView or BDLive before, so I don't know what gets stored on these things. Also, does anyone know of a unit any shorter than this one (3.2 cm)? TIA!

Edit: Here's one that's precisely the size I'd like. Hopefully I can get a decent price on one...

Edit 2: Found the EagleTec USB Nano Flash Drive here. $35 for 8GB and $23 for 4GB. Not cheap, but I should never have to worry about it getting broken off!

Just an update on this subject: I received the EagleTec USB Flash Drive last week and inserted it into the player. It is so short, not only does it NOT stick out, but it is *recessed* about 1 cm from the panel. No chance this will get broken off. Fortunately it came with a tiny lanyard so I will be able to pull it out if the need arises.

I've downloaded all the BD-Live data I could find and so far I am completely underwhelmed. One nice feature was on the Men-In-Black BD: you could download nine different trailers in HD. I'm wondering if they will update the list occasionally. Anyway, I do have two questions about BD-Live:

1) I've never had a BD-Live enabled player before. Are they all this slow? The Transformers BD-Live takes about 10 minutes to load! (I'm not talking about *downloading*, but rather just loading after it is already downloaded. I don't think that's an exaggeration.) The one on Men-In-Black is about 5 minutes.
2) Is there any way to tell on the BDP-CX960 how much data is on the USB drive? I've looked around and cannot find it. There is some sort of indication in the Transformers BD-Live section, but it's just a bar graph with no numbers.

TIA!
post #651 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night when I went to play a movie I found that now I have 9 disks "not found". These had been previously found and loaded with Gracenote. Reloaded all 9 and everything is back to normal, but this is my first instance where previously loaded disks have lost data.

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #652 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

UW69:

Does MM3 interface or update this data with/to the changers? Or is it just for viewing the changer's contents on a computer connected to same?

Thanks

All data resides on a Windows media center PC. In MyMovies you indicate which changer and which slot the movie is in. All movies are selected through MM3 media center interface with commands being sent to the changer via rs232.

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #653 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM

Hi all,

I will try to give some details of what My Movies does in 3.01, what it does not do, and what it will do in the future.

1. My Movies controls the BDP-CX7000ES over RS232. There is indication in recent documentation that this may be extendable to TCP/IP later on, but for now it is RS232.

2. My Movies does NOT control the BDP-CX960. This device is NOT controlable over RS232 nor over TCP/IP. You will not find anyone device that will be able to control this unit, as it is not controlable. Only solution would be an IR based control, which would be useless, as you do not know a status of the device.

This should clear up the device thing.

Then, to what My Movies does today:

1. It gives you a nicer looking interface using a Windows Media Center PC, that be Vista or Windows 7, Home Premium or Ultimate versions which contains Media Center.

2. You can mix titles in the Sony changer with titles stored on storage devices, harddrives, or offline titles that you have on a shelf outside the changer and storage devices.

3. You can an interface where you can browse by genres, actors, directors, personal categories, and much much more. Overall it is just a more advanced browsing interface than what the unit offers itself.

4. My Movies does not pull the meta-data from the device itself - the device allows us to read an ID of the disc, but not the meta-data. The meta-data using My Movies comes from our own webservice, which I dare to say contains all Blu-ray releases in US.

5. Using our Collection Management program, you add your changer(s), and tell it which RS232 port it is connected to, and give it a name. There is also selections on input switching, which will be described later.

5. In the current version, you use the Collection Management program to add the titles you insert into the changer by barcode, or by searching for the title manually. You then tell the system in which slot the disc is in, and in which changer using the name you created the changer with.

6. After having manually added your titles, you can now browse the titles using the my Movies interface in Windows Media Center, once you press play on a title in the changer, the disc is loaded in the changer and starts playback. If the device is powered off, it is powered on, which increases startup time.

7. There is an "Input Switcher" plug-in structure available, for supporting receivers with RS232 ports, or TCP/IP controlling - a dll file must be made up for the various receiver models. When you configure your changer, you also configure which input switcher (receiver model) you want to use, as well as which port the PC is connected to, and which port the changer is connected to. The input switcher will then when you in Windows Media Center on the PC press "Play", connect to the receiver, and switch the input to the changer input - once you press "Stop" or power off the device, it switches the input back to the PC. Source code is available for these dll switchers for the technical users - we will try to make some available for the most common models. During implementation we have created a TCP/IP control dll for the Denon AVR4310, if anyone is using that.

Then, what the next version (3.02) of My Movies will provide is automatic identifiation and adding of the changer content.

This works by reading the id's from the changer, and looking the discs up in our database automatically.

You here go into the Collection Management program, open a "Load Changer Discs" dialog and select your changer - you then on the changer itself click "Options" when marking a disc, and select "Load All Discs" - during this lookup, the changer will report the id's of the discs back to My Movies, and My Movies will automatically add the discs in the changer.

If a disc is not automatically identified because the system does not know the disc id, you get an empty disc called "Unidentified Disc - Slot X", and you can then click the title and choose to "Change Data", and manually lookup the title.

The BDP-CX7000ES reports disc id's that are different from the ones we have in out database, which means we have had to match these from scratch - we are currently collecting the id's that the changer reports back, but it may be a month or more before we have the less popular discs. I can't comment on a hitrate, because at this time I really do not know - I expect it to be resonable (above 80%) today, and very good (near 100%) in a month or two.

Even with automatic identification, you are free to always either change the data to another title in our database, or manually edit the titles if you are unhappy with the automatic identification - this includes adding titles to box sets and other advanced options.

I hope this clears it up for you. We are in the process of creating a documentation page, and a toturial video for the usage, but we are currently holding it back to ensure that the documentation includes the latest changes with automatic identification.

Regards,

Brian Binnerup
My Movies

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #654 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Sony should have added IP Control feature on these changers.
post #655 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 AM

They have acccording to latest documentation.

It was just done after we started our implementation.

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #656 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Thought you had the 7000
post #657 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM

And, just to be very clear - Sony does seem to have TCP/IP control, but ONLY on the BDP-CX7000, despite both models having a TCP/IP connection.

post #658 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkavs View Post

When I click on insert image it asks me to "Please enter the URL of your image". How do I just post a picture off my hard drive onto this website?

Where do you get this insert image option?

Regards,

Robert
post #659 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnerup View Post

They have acccording to latest documentation.

It was just done after we started our implementation.

Hi Brian:

To what documentation do you refer, when you say that Sony has now added IP Control for the changer?

Thanks,

Nick
post #660 of 3317 Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

MM3 is a very nice program. If you have the 7000 it is certainly worth a look. I also use it for movies I have stored on my Windows Home server, I am enjoying it very much.

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page