Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3317 Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a receiver that does not decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA. I have my 7000es hooked up to it thru HDMI and would like to have the 7000 decode the TrueHD/DTS-MA signal and output it as PCM to my receiver. I checked the 7000 manual under Audio (HDMI) and it says if you leave this setting as "Auto" it "outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected HDMI device". Does anyone know what this means? Any help regarding the settings required to do this would be much appreciated. I'd check with Sony, but I honestly trust those on this board more than Sony customer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3317 Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojeff View Post

I'm having the same problem. Just downloaded ver 3.02. I get the same message. I have not tried it with indiviudal discs. I started the "load all discs" function, and then pressed ok. I don't see any solutions on the MyMovies forum. Any help, Binnerup?

Post your questions for My Movies on My Movies Forumn you will get quicker responses.
post #723 of 3317 Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedok View Post

I have a receiver that does not decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA. I have my 7000es hooked up to it thru HDMI and would like to have the 7000 decode the TrueHD/DTS-MA signal and output it as PCM to my receiver. I checked the 7000 manual under Audio (HDMI) and it says if you leave this setting as "Auto" it "outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected HDMI device". Does anyone know what this means? Any help regarding the settings required to do this would be much appreciated. I'd check with Sony, but I honestly trust those on this board more than Sony customer support.

The info on p. 89 in the user manual has what you're looking for , I think. I use the
analog outputs myself.
post #724 of 3317 Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 AM

I'm having trouble getting my cx960 to send anything bit stream. When I select a Dolby hd master track or dts I get a stereo signal to my receiver. If I change to a normal DTS or dolbly digital I get full surround. My reciever is a onkyo 876, it's hooked up via HDMI. I've changed the bd audio setting to direct per the manual but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Could this be a handshake issue? or is there a setting I'm not changing?
post #725 of 3317 Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherbolt View Post

The info on p. 89 in the user manual has what you're looking for , I think. I use the
analog outputs myself.

Thanks for pointing this out, I must have missed it when I read it earlier. So, when the "BD Audio Setting is set to direct, and the receiver does not support HD Audio, but supports Multi-channel LPCM, up to LPCM 7.1ch is output". This answers my question, thanks.
post #726 of 3317 Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Liked: 11
So I've endeavored to read through like 10 of the 25 pages or so of this thread, and forgive me, but these changers seem like complete cr*p and not worth the effort. They eat discs, they don't recognize discs, the UI is wonky and can't be searched properly.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't use just convert my Blu Rays to a lossless MKV, throw them on a hard drive, and then run a XBMC with AEON interface to multiple TVs? Let me tell you, Aeon is a hell of a lot prettier user interface than these changers, and because there's no conversion required I can rip a blu ray to mkv in like 6 minutes. And I can watch on multiple TVs.
post #727 of 3317 Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 View Post

So I've endeavored to read through like 10 of the 25 pages or so of this thread, and forgive me, but these changers seem like complete cr*p and not worth the effort. They eat discs, they don't recognize discs, the UI is wonky and can't be searched properly.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't use just convert my Blu Rays to a lossless MKV, throw them on a hard drive, and then run a XBMC with AEON interface to multiple TVs? Let me tell you, Aeon is a hell of a lot prettier user interface than these changers, and because there's no conversion required I can rip a blu ray to mkv in like 6 minutes. And I can watch on multiple TVs.

Go for it.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #728 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I got the My Movies update and it now has a menu option to load changer discs in the Collection Management section

it shows initialize/ receiving slot info from changer...[the changer must be on play mode]

but after a few seconds it says: cannot receive a list of occupied slots from changer

resolved

Binnerup lost some sleep fixing this: download Vs 3.03 of Collection Manager and it now communicates and receives slot data from the 7000ES BD changer!

When you go into CM, /Tools/ load changer discs, it will initialize, then receive slot data, then instruct you to load all data in the changer:hit load all discs on changer control/ you will see a progress screen pop up for each disc and the data being loaded

BD discs only...
post #729 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice feature! (I suspect Brian is used to being sleep deprived!)

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #730 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

I already have.

1. Ripping 3-400 movies is time-consuming for most, but apparently you can do it in 6 minutes, although with an almost certain loss of PQ. There's just no way you're ripping full 20-30 GIG films in 6 minutes.

All of the movies I've taken down from 20-30 to 4-6 gigs have a noticeable PQ degradation on my 60" Kuro and many of us are interested in the best possible picture we can achieve.

2. HDD's are not exactly cheap (EXP: 12 (1) TB drives at $100 each). Not to mention a CPU and streaming device. Further, most are not terribly crazy about adding 12 boxes to their HT array OR backing them up in a RAID or similar array.

3. BD functionality (FF, RW, menus, etc) are significantly hampered in every MP I've seen thus far.

4. NO BD live for those interested.

5. Plug and play appeal of changer is significant for most.

I've said all along that HDD-based media players are absolutely the future, but until they become easier to to configure, operate, as well as drop in cost, a $650 changer will be the answer for the VAST majority of those looking to assemble/organize a large HD movie library- poor interface be damned.

But if you possess the IT know-how, HDD's, don't care about top-tier PQ or BD live, and don't mind taking the time to rip and store your movies, carry on.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #731 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I already have.

1. Ripping 3-400 movies is time-consuming for most, but apparently you can do it in 6 minutes, although with an almost certain loss of PQ. There's just no way you're ripping full 20-30 GIG films in 6 minutes.

All of the movies I've taken down from 20-30 to 4-6 gigs have a noticeable PQ degradation on my 60" Kuro and many of us are interested in the best possible picture we can achieve.

2. HDD's are not exactly cheap (EXP: 12 (1) TB drives at $100 each). Not to mention a CPU and streaming device. Further, most are not terribly crazy about adding 12 boxes to their HT array OR backing them up in a RAID or similar array.

3. BD functionality (FF, RW, menus, etc) are significantly hampered in every MP I've seen thus far.

4. NO BD live for those interested.

5. Plug and play appeal of changer is significant for most.

I've said all along that HDD-based media players are absolutely the future, but until they become easier to to configure, operate, as well as drop in cost, a $650 changer will be the answer for the VAST majority of those looking to assemble/organize a large HD movie library- poor interface be damned.

But if you possess the IT know-how, HDD's, don't care about top-tier PQ or BD live, and don't mind taking the time to rip and store your movies, carry on.

James

6. HD Audio. Maybe I've overlooked, but it appears that most HDD based solutions don't allow for Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD either.
post #732 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have a over clocked water cooled 4.26Ghz quad core CPU/ 8 gigs of ram and it takes me about 20-30 minutes to rip a bluray to MKV with no loss of PQ or AQ. There is no way you can rip a 40 gig BD in 6 minutes. Check your facts before posting here. Many of us are hardcore users and will call BSs out when we see them. Have you even ripped a Bluray or are just talking s*&t?
post #733 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

6. HD Audio. Maybe I've overlooked, but it appears that most HDD based solutions don't allow for Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD either.

I have a played with several streaming players lately and the WD LIVE does stream TrueHD but not DTS HD (Only Core). I have the CX960 changer in my theater room and I have an 8TB array setup to stream to two other rooms in my home. The WD TV live does a great job with full 1080 lossless rips but it took me a long time to rip 95 BDs to my array. I will say it is the future and very cool to have 95 movies on tap without trailers and FBI warning etc.. but I feel it still has a way to go to be a mainstream replacement for old fashioned changers.
post #734 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

I don't see a brighter future unless the storage mediums increase exponentially. I'm thinking 100tbs or more on one disk drive, for example. I think the biggest obstacle to building a large blu-ray collection on a server is not copy protection, but the gigantic file sizes!
post #735 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur View Post

I don't see a brighter future unless the storage mediums increase exponentially. I'm thinking 100tbs or more on one disk drive, for example. I think the biggest obstacle to building a large blu-ray collection on a server is not copy protection, but the gigantic file sizes!

I agree and do not forget about management and maintenance! I do this all day at my office and all night at my home.... No time to even watch the movies I ripped.
post #736 of 3317 Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hi Everyone,

I run Media Center with 4 200 Disc SD DVD firewire changers. These are great as the movies play right within MC.

I'd really like to get my growing BD collection into a changer environment.

When using MyMovies to control the Sony BD changer, does it play within Media Center or do you switch inputs on your display?

Is there an HDMI input device for the HTPC that allows this?

Thanks,
Ken
post #737 of 3317 Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

That's another good point, blackssr.
I often wonder how many of the folks searching for that "perfect streamer" ever watch their movies? It seems like they're always troubleshooting. Either they don't get the HD audio or the interface isn't pretty enough. Life's too short. I'd rather get on with enjoying the content.

KenLand, I always wanted to try one of those firewire changers that you have, but by the time I found out about them, they were discontinued. I wonder why, since they seem to give you a good changer while integrating with WMC's elegant interface. No need to rip discs or worry about transcoding, remuxing etc. I hope something like that comes to market again for a reasonable price.
post #738 of 3317 Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post

When using MyMovies to control the Sony BD changer, does it play within Media Center or do you switch inputs on your display?

These are RS232 control changers, and therefore output HDMI seperately - they do not show up as a drive in Media Center as your firewire changers does.

My Movies - Movie Indexing application for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android: http://www.mymovies.dk
post #739 of 3317 Old 11-10-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yes, the firewire changers are pretty ideal. I picked them up years ago for $250 a piece on closeout.

But I can't believe someone doesn't make an HDMI Input Card for the PC to create an integrated MC solution. This combined with the serial port control would be close.

Ken
post #740 of 3317 Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post

Since I cannot use my URC MX-3000/DMX 3000 remote control, I have no interest in owning a Sony Blu-ray Changer without that capability.

Chris

I'm confused about the 960. Does this mean that I can't use my Harmony 1000 at all, or just that the H1000 will not select individual disc slots or beable to add or change the factory settings? Can my 1000 replace the factory remote? If not, this is bad, verrrrrrry verrrrrry bad. My equipment is in the next room so I MUST have RF control.
post #741 of 3317 Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bryant View Post

I'm confused about the 960. Does this mean that I can't use my Harmony 1000 at all, or just that the H1000 will not select individual disc slots or beable to add or change the factory settings? Can my 1000 replace the factory remote? If not, this is bad, verrrrrrry verrrrrry bad. My equipment is in the next room so I MUST have RF control.

I can't see how you wouldn't be able to get RF, so long as you load the infrared commands into a control device that can transmit RF. There's no reason why it couldn't be done with a Pronto.

I think the objection has do with inability to select slots.

Thanks,

Nick
post #742 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Anyone out here by chance have success or issues with either changers working with a Control4 remote?
post #743 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemonkey View Post

Anyone out here by chance have success or issues with either changers working with a Control4 remote?

Yes, it works with RS-232 control, just as the 777ES does.
post #744 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecodeman View Post

Yes, it works with RS-232 control, just as the 777ES does.

Thx Codeman......does it only work with RS-232 or can i hook up with an IR repeater?
I have the HC-300 unit with SR-250 remote.
post #745 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Can you guys guide me or advise me what the main purpose would be to buy the cx7000 vs cx960?
Not sure if PQ is noticeable between the two or if its mainly the RS-232 option.
Am i correct thinking the main or sole purpose of the RS-232 is if you want to use the user interface with something other than gracenote?
post #746 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bryant View Post

Your Harmony 1000 will be able to replace the factory remote. The comment you had quoted was referring only to these Blu-ray changers not offering a way to queue up a given changer slot via a sequence of IR codes as can be done with the DVD changers per the below.

Stop (Ensures there is only one display menu to exit out of at the end of the sequence.)
Display
Enter
Changer Slot (Individual digits which make up the slot number.)
Enter
Display

For those of us with IR based DVD management solutions this rules out the 960 as an option per adding Blu-ray support since direct disc selection is not possible via a sequence of IR codes. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know there is no way to blindly navigate the GUI to queue up a given changer slot via a predetermined sequence of IR codes. So that leaves only the more expensive route of purchasing the 7000 as it supports direct disc selection via RS-232. Unfortunately, the 7000 costs twice as much as the 960. There is also the added expense of integrating RS-232 capability into ones setup if that is not in place already. This is a tough pill to swallow for many like myself which have been perfectly satisfied with direct disc selection via IR and don't want to go to the added expense of an RS-232 solution.
post #747 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Can you guys guide me or advise me what the main purpose would be to buy the cx7000 vs cx960?
Not sure if PQ is noticeable between the two or if its mainly the RS-232 option.
Am i correct thinking the main or sole purpose of the RS-232 is if you want to use the user interface with something other than gracenote?

Yep.
And the cx7000 is better with SD.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #748 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Most bd's i see lately all say 1080p/24fps......I'm using an older PS3 (80gb) with HDMI.......am i taking full advantage of the bd quality or would i experience this if i upgraded to the cx7000?

When i view the movie in display mode with my current PS3, it shows fairly constant 4mbs for the audio but I believe unless mistaken the video constantly changes ranging from 12-25mbs......is this normal or because I'm using a PS3......not that familair with the whole 24fps as "true cinema" and if I would gain this option with the cx7000
post #749 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most bd's i see lately all say 1080p/24fps......I'm using an older PS3 (80gb) with HDMI.......am i taking full advantage of the bd quality or would i experience this if i upgraded to the cx7000?

When i view the movie in display mode with my current PS3, it shows fairly constant 4mbs for the audio but I believe unless mistaken the video constantly changes ranging from 12-25mbs......is this normal or because I'm using a PS3......not that familair with the whole 24fps as "true cinema" and if I would gain this option with the cx7000

Gains depend on your display and any external scalers attached between the PS3 and the CX7000.

The CX7000 has a Marvell chip for scaling and de-interlacing. By all accounts is should be FAR superior to that of the PS3 but the PS3 has a computer behind it where the Marvell does not.

I have the same dilema. I want to avoid any HDMI delay and do not want to have any external scaler.

So far I have not found a real review of someone who compared the PS3 and the 7000 vs the 960. Seems odd but maybe Sony is forcing that hand. Even the Marvell chip in the 7000 is not advertised at all.

Early testing from one source shows that the CX7000 is not much better on 1080i60 material than the PS3 is. So it may be a wash for video material if that is your bag and a wash for 1080p24 material depending on your display.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #750 of 3317 Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

I agree and do not forget about management and maintenance! I do this all day at my office and all night at my home.... No time to even watch the movies I ripped.

I agree. I use these to watch movies, not fool around with Windows software, etc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page