Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak View Post

I have the old Sony 400 DVD changer. CX-985v.

Did they fix many of the old issues?

1) Someone mentioned the 7000es was slow at loading, but is it slow like my unit, or faster?
2) When you turn on the unit, does it still load disk 1. I hated that. I couldn't load in my new DVD untill it was done loading disk 1.
3) The dvd listing was useless. It took forever to scroll pages. Does the new menu system move faster to a useable stage? Or is it eye candy, but eventually it'll be easier to keep all titles on a piece of paper and choose the disk number?
4) In the cx-985v the titles couldn't be longer than 12 letters or something. Which is meant alot of titles was cut. Does the 7000es have the same problem?
5) How does the usb slot work? I stick in a usb thumbdrive and it'll automaticly store info on it?
6) Once the Blu-rays are loaded and I "load" a disk, how quick does the movie startup? As fast as my PS3, or slower?

Thanks!

1. I'm not familiar with your old Sony, but I think the disc load times are reasonable, approximately 20 seconds, (this is always very subjective). Of course the Blu-ray content load time depends on the title, some are quick and others seem to take forever.

2. When you turn the unit on it always goes to the title menu, usaully at the last selected title. It does not attempt to load anything until you make a selection. If you want to play your last selection, just press select and it starts almost imediately. Apparently if leaves the last disc in a load position. If you select a different one it will, of course, need to locate and load it.

3. The menu system is quite serviceable. It will move one title at a time if you single click the remote. If you hold the button down it scrolls the list quite fast. So fast, in fact, that it appears to not be moving at all, but when you let go you are quite far down the list. I wish it had a quick jump feature to get from say "B" to "W", or from the top to the bottom or bottom to top. If you need to get from the top to bottom, etc, you must scroll up or down. It is not perfect gut quite usable.

4. Titles can be quite long. I haven't counted the characters, but every title I have has fit, and some are quite long.

5. I'm not sure how the flash drive is supposed to work. According to owners manual you need it for some Blu-ray extra features. I haven't tried it yet. It doesn't appear to be for user data storage such as MP3s.

6. I'm not familiar with the PS3, but it is noticeably faster than my Pioneeer BDP-95FD. Loading is an automatic 2 step process. First physically locate and load the disc into the reader, then load the content from the disc. Physical loading is fairly quick, apprximately 20 seconds. It varies slightly depending on the distance from the last selection to the new selection. Content loading is very quick for DVDs but varies greatly by Blu-ray title. I have some that are quite fast and some that take forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM

sorapp- Thanks! Now I just gotta figure if it's worth buying. I mean I know I want it. Just don't know if I want IT of its smaller brother thats coming out.
post #63 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorapp- Thanks! Now I just gotta figure if it's worth buying. I mean I know I want it. Just don't know if I want IT of its smaller brother thats coming out.

If you're not getting an Escient front-end, and if patience is one of your virtues, the ES version is not worth the ransom.

Yes, I've paid the ransom on two units so far, but I've also purchased an Escient. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Thanks,

Nick
post #64 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Patience is NOT my friend either. See my issue with the STR-DA5300es thread. I should've waited for the next model. lol.

The only reason why I would consider the ES version is the additional features. That the rest of my Sony system supports like: HD Reality Enhancer, Deep Color, Film Grain Reducer, Hi-Quality A/V Parts, Playback memory..
Not saying I would use them, as most of the time, it tends to ruin the picture... but what the heck, it's there.

I wouldn't be buying the Escient front end. Can't bring myself to pay the asking price yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

If you're not getting an Escient front-end, and if patience is one of your virtues, the ES version is not worth the ransom.

Yes, I've paid the ransom on two units so far, but I've also purchased an Escient. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Thanks,

Nick

post #65 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only reason why I would consider the ES version is the additional features. That the rest of my Sony system supports like: HD Reality Enhancer, Deep Color, Film Grain Reducer, Hi-Quality A/V Parts, Playback memory..
Not saying I would use them, as most of the time, it tends to ruin the picture... but what the heck, it's there.

I tried comparing video specs from player to player, and did not notice any difference. We need to see an actual BDP-CX960 first, but I'd be surprised if it was any different than the pricier sibling.

I'd check to see if any of the things you just mentioned are missing from the upcoming player.

Thanks,

Nick
post #66 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Starstreak, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that you cannot access discs directly, by entering their slot number. Big mistake, IMO.
post #67 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Thanks. I found that info a few hours later in reading the connected links. Yeah. Too bad. Since I'm used to looking at my contact sheet of all my dvds and selecting a number to play, it would be a change to always use a GUI that scrolls. But since I read it scrolls fast, maybe it's not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Starstreak, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that you cannot access discs directly, by entering their slot number. Big mistake, IMO.

post #68 of 3322 Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Strarstreak, not only does it scroll very fast, you can sort it by slot number so it's not a bad alternative to direct access.
post #69 of 3322 Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM

I ordered the BDP-CX7000ES and I am looking forward to setting it up. I plan on using a D-Link Extreme Wireless Bridge (DAP-1522) to access the internet via the Ethernet Port on the Blu-Ray player since I am not setup for internet access in my basement. Is this a good option or is there a better one?
post #70 of 3322 Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkavs View Post

I ordered the BDP-CX7000ES and I am looking forward to setting it up. I plan on using a D-Link Extreme Wireless Bridge (DAP-1522) to access the internet via the Ethernet Port on the Blu-Ray player since I am not setup for internet access in my basement. Is this a good option or is there a better one?

I would think that is an OK alternative since you do not need a hgh perfromance connection. The only time it looks up a disc is when you first introduce it. It saves the info locally for future reference.
post #71 of 3322 Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 PM

What about the special features on this machine. So far the consensus seems to be that the BDP-CX7000ES is doing a great job with DVD upscaling. Is this maybe due to the Precision Cinema HD Upscale feature and Super Bit Mapping Sony it touting for this machine?

Has anyone tried the HD Reality Enhancer? Some early reviewers commented before the machine came out that something similar on another company's Blue Ray player (Toshiba maybe?) created an unnatural looking picture. Any opinions from anyone with the machine so far?

Finally, what about the 24p True Cinema setting? Anyone try this. Reviews on 24p appear to be sharply polarized. How does this machine handle 24p?
post #72 of 3322 Old 08-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Is there frame advance and fwd slowmotion available for Blu Ray movies on this unit? How about fwd and bwd frame advance and slow motion for DVD's?

My Sony 550 Blu Ray has no frame advance or slow motion on Blu Ray or DVD
disc's (the stupidity of this exclusion is beyond comprehension!).
post #73 of 3322 Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

Is there frame advance and fwd slowmotion available for Blu Ray movies on this unit? How about fwd and bwd frame advance and slow motion for DVD's?

My Sony 550 Blu Ray has no frame advance or slow motion on Blu Ray or DVD
disc's (the stupidity of this exclusion is beyond comprehension!).

Yes it does both single frame and slow motion for both DVD and Blu-Ray. It even has multiple slow motion speeds.

Note, even though the manual says playback direction only, I found that slow motion works in reverse at multiple speeds just like forward. However, it does not do single frame reverse.
post #74 of 3322 Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 AM

I purchased the BDP-CX7000ES and I'm waiting for it to arrive. One question I have is, will this player work well with my somewhat older Panasonic PT60LC13K TV? The Panasonic PT60LC13K is 1080i. Will there be an issue playing 1080P blu-ray disks? Thanks.
post #75 of 3322 Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM

I think I answerd my own question but please confirm and let me know what I can expect as far as picture quality.

Based on the BDP-CX7000ES features, it states:
BD-ROM Output - HDMI™ : Yes- 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p(60Hz)

My home setup is as follows:
Denon 3808CI Receiver
Panasonic PT60LC13K (HDMI cable from Denon 3808CI to DVI connector into TV)
BDP-CX7000ES (planning to connect to Denon 3808CI via HDMI cable)

This forum is a valuable resource to me and I wish to thank everyone for their input.
post #76 of 3322 Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Huge mistake. In fact it will keep me from buying it. If I want to play a CD I don't want to have to turn on my tv to see a stupid guide, I just want to press go to disk then the number.

Sony you blew it.
post #77 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perhaps future firmware upgrades will resolve this.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #78 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if this player will let you zoom a non-anamorphic, letterboxed SD DVD to fill the width of the screen, and preserve the OAR?
post #79 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

in the RS232 protocols, there are commands to select discs by slot number [I have not tried it yet]
post #80 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 01:10 PM

escient vision no longer available, dont hold your breath for a firmware upgrade
post #81 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad View Post

escient vision no longer available, dont hold your breath for a firmware upgrade

This probably means new HW for CEDIA, but the firmware is planned and coming Q4
post #82 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm . . . that's strange. However, I can assure you that I bought mine strictly on the basis of Escient's promise to upgrade (on its website, at prior CEDIAs, phone conversations with Escient). If, somehow, support for the changer goes out the window, then Escient will have some answering to do.

Thanks,

Nick
post #83 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Hmmm . . . that's strange. However, I can assure you that I bought mine strictly on the basis of Escient's promise to upgrade (on its website, at prior CEDIAs, phone conversations with Escient). If, somehow, support for the changer goes out the window, then Escient will have some answering to do.

Thanks,

Nick

That would be just about enough to piss off the Pope

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #84 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

While it's on my mind, how much bigger would the cover art need to be for Sony's user interface to be sweet?

post #85 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM

I seriously doubt there will be any new hardware at Cedia. this was their flagship line introduced at cedia last year. They have been watching the kalaidescape lawsuit, and are probably next in line. Very unfortunate situation, and I will be surprised if there are any further firmware upgrades. When has a manufacturer ever offered an upgrade after they have pulled the product? I think the best to hope for is continued support for malfunctioning units.
post #86 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I seriously doubt there will be any new hardware at Cedia. this was their flagship line introduced at cedia last year. They have been watching the kalaidescape lawsuit, and are probably next in line. Very unfortunate situation, and I will be surprised if there are any further firmware upgrades. When has a manufacturer ever offered an upgrade after they have pulled the product? I think the best to hope for is continued support for malfunctioning units.

We'll all know more next week, but just about any manufacturer I can think of has supported their discontinued hardware for some period of time...even Toshiba was issuing HD-DVD updates after they lost the format battle.

Nonetheless, as in Nick's case, I have several emails as well as the published FAQ indicating support - since I purchased recently, I will certainly demand a refund and/or dispute with my credit card company should they back out of their word.
post #87 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 419
that is bad news: perhaps the changer was released with firmware that prevents the Vision from working ?

without an announcement of new HW or FW this cannot be good news
post #88 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

that is bad news: perhaps the changer was released with firmware that prevents the Vision from working ?

without an announcement of new HW or FW this cannot be good news

Again, I would say with CEDIA about a week away, let's see - the firmware update was announced for Q4, and is still on their FAQ, and it is not uncommon for their to be a gap between old inventory and a new product announcement.

While bellarieroad could be correct about connecting this to the Kaleidescape ruling, Kaleidescape is still selling their products, aren't they?

For posterity's sake, I'm posting this, in case Escient takes it down!!!:

and later in the FAQ here:

post #89 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM

All kinds of ways to wiggle out of that...says "is planned", not "will be available". I wonder if they are still "planning" to release it, now that they have dc'd it
post #90 of 3322 Old 08-29-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All kinds of ways to wiggle out of that...says "is planned", not "will be available". I wonder if they are still "planning" to release it, now that they have dc'd it

The second part of the FAQ

Quote:

Sony Blu-ray Changer Control

Does Vision Support the new Sony 400 disc Blu-ray Changer?
Vision will support the new Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc changer with a software update in Q4 2009.

along with three emails I have from Escient leave no wiggle room - this is not to say they wouldn't do an about face, but they would lose a substantial amount of credibility, especially with the CI market, if they do so.

Do you know if Kaleidescape has stopped selling their gear?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page