Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 92 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hi Guys,

Cinemar's 7 changer limit is only due to hardware selection. We can get creative and support an infinite number by adding matrix switchers. We could easily go to 15 by using two inputs on one's receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
wnl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry guys. I was just going off the documentation for the CX7000ES plugin, which says "Changer number (1..8)" everywhere a changer number is given in a command.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post

Sorry guys. I was just going off the documentation for the CX7000ES plugin, which says "Changer number (1..8)" everywhere a changer number is given in a command.

No problem. You're right. Most of our docs are tied to that range mainly because I don't think we've seen anyone with more than 8 yet. I think I remember one user with 7 changers though. Just know that if you need more, we can make it happen.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Hi Guys,

Cinemar's 7 changer limit is only due to hardware selection. We can get creative and support an infinite number by adding matrix switchers. We could easily go to 15 by using two inputs on one's receiver.

Cinemar is very flexible. I love my system. I have three changers and my next step probably next year will be a storage server.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM

I've had a CX960 for a couple of years now and aside from an occasional "unknown disc" suddenly appearing I have had no issues with it . It currently holds around 120 BD and 100 DVDs.

After catching up on this thread, I am concerned about whether or not we will see new model BD mega changers in the future. At this point I would really have a hard time living without one and have always felt that if mine "broke" I would just replace it with the same or newer model. Now that Sony can not produce any more of the current models what are we to do if our machines need replacements ? Are my fears unfounded ?

I see that amazon has some CX7000ES for a ridiculous price and no CX960s. In the absence of any news of forthcoming new models, I would be tempted to just go ahead and buy another 960 or 7000ES (but not at amazon's price) just to have on hand. I wish I would have followed this thread back when the 7000ES were being liquidated.

Are any 960s or liquidated 7000ESs available anywhere these days ?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

I'm thinking of getting a CX960 and getting rid of my Blu-Ray player and 100 CD Pioneer player, but I have a question. I listen to a lot of music and one of the features of pioneer jukebox is that it has three modes that I can choose to play from. I've set the modes for jazz, rock and classical. Does the 960 have the ability to group music in a genre or playlist format and within that grouping, shuffle from CD to CD. One of the things I really like about the Pioneer is that when were entertaining, I can set the player to a mode and it will play from that genre all night.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post

I've had a CX960 for a couple of years now and aside from an occasional "unknown disc" suddenly appearing I have had no issues with it . It currently holds around 120 BD and 100 DVDs.

After catching up on this thread, I am concerned about whether or not we will see new model BD mega changers in the future. At this point I would really have a hard time living without one and have always felt that if mine "broke" I would just replace it with the same or newer model. Now that Sony can not produce any more of the current models what are we to do if our machines need replacements ? Are my fears unfounded ?

I see that amazon has some CX7000ES for a ridiculous price and no CX960s. In the absence of any news of forthcoming new models, I would be tempted to just go ahead and buy another 960 or 7000ES (but not at amazon's price) just to have on hand. I wish I would have followed this thread back when the 7000ES were being liquidated.

Are any 960s or liquidated 7000ESs available anywhere these days ?

Thanks

You can find the 960's around, but you have to look hard. I truly understand where you are coming from. If my player broke today, I would be up creek without a paddle. I love having all my movies in one player and being able to select a movie with a button push. Legaly backing up my BD movies using a user friendly software program on a stand-alone media server/player is not an option. I don't know why no company makes a mega changer anymore. Every company has at one point in time made many models of 300+ cd changers and DVD changers. Why not make them now? They don't cost that much to make compared to a single BD player. They all come from the same factory and made by the same people. WTF!!! I still don't get it. I have surfed the net for years trying to find a concrete answer why nobody makes mega changers and I cannot find anything. I guess the industry is going towards single disk players for a reason. What is this reason? I will never know.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Just got around to loading my 960 player and I are having a problem with the movie (The Town) starring Ben Affleck. All the info for the movie downloads from Gracenote except Cover art. Can I manually install cover art or am I out of luck. It's also unfortunate that the 960 will not let you directly go to a movie without having to scroll all movies.

Thanks

Joe
Old 03-01-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D915 View Post

Just got around to loading my 960 player and I are having a problem with the movie (The Town) starring Ben Affleck. All the info for the movie downloads from Gracenote except Cover art. Can I manually install cover art or am I out of luck. It's also unfortunate that the 960 will not let you directly go to a movie without having to scroll all movies.

Thanks

Joe

The town shows on mine, i just think ever so often something weird happens. Clash of the titans showed the cover art, then when i reloaded it the cover art is now missing.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D915 View Post

Thanks

Joe

I have the 960 and The Town bluray and it shows the cover art. Did you try loading the movie individually. This has happened to me with other movies. It would display the info but not the art. Sometimes I would try loading it again a few days later and then the art would be shown.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

You can find the 960's around, but you have to look hard. I truly understand where you are coming from. If my player broke today, I would be up creek without a paddle. I love having all my movies in one player and being able to select a movie with a button push. Legaly backing up my BD movies using a user friendly software program on a stand-alone media server/player is not an option. I don't know why no company makes a mega changer anymore. Every company has at one point in time made many models of 300+ cd changers and DVD changers. Why not make them now? They don't cost that much to make compared to a single BD player. They all come from the same factory and made by the same people. WTF!!! I still don't get it. I have surfed the net for years trying to find a concrete answer why nobody makes mega changers and I cannot find anything. I guess the industry is going towards single disk players for a reason. What is this reason? I will never know.

It would seem that either you and I are the only ones really curious about this or its just a question of beating a dead horse ?

Seriously, are there even any rumors of new mega changers ?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bet movie discs will go the way of CDs. This is probably Sony has gotten out of the mega changer market.

For example, I used to run five CD megachangers. Today I'm totally digital for music.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I bet movie discs will go the way of CDs. This is probably Sony has gotten out of the mega changer market.

For example, I used to run five CD megachangers. Today I'm totally digital for music.

I truly believe we are farther away from this then people want to believe. Yes, it's a great thought, but I don't think all digital will be ready for prime time any time soon. Now, with 4K movies on the horizon, the blu-ray disc will play even a more important role. I hope Sony or some other company finds the desire to keep the movie disc changers alive. Clearly there's some degree of a market for this (assuming the price is right).
Old 03-04-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

the price cost keeps them out of reach for most people...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

the price cost keeps them out of reach for most people...

Which never made any sense. You could get the Sony DVD changers for a very competive price, but the Blu-ray changers were way over priced. I almost wish Sony wasn't the only game in town for these things so that there would have been options. Now they are most likely done with this market and the consumers are out of luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

alas I wish I had a large displosable income so I can buy certain things I want alas I need to win lotto 1st before I can the bloody thing damn i hate being poor...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

No problem. You're right. Most of our docs are tied to that range mainly because I don't think we've seen anyone with more than 8 yet. I think I remember one user with 7 changers though. Just know that if you need more, we can make it happen.

Good to know as it looks i might have to purchase another 2 changers, taking my total to 8. I note on the cinemar web site it now says an unlimited number of 7000es changers can be interfaced.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I see your point, but as far as music goes, its pretty easy to go digital and still have lossless quality, furthermore, you never really need to buy a physical medium.

The fact that BDs are running through my 960 at 30 Mbs and broadband bandwidth is years (how many ?) away from that leads me to believe that streaming will be sub BD quality (audio and video) for some time. Although I have to admit that Vudu's HDX looks pretty good.

The other option is to rip all of your BDs to hard disk and figure out how to play them. That's a lot of time and money compared to a megachanger.

I think that there are no new megachangers because they probably were not big money makers. It would seem that the folks that have mega changers or have ripped their BDs to hard disks still represent a very small fraction of the general viewers. And now there is a whole generation of viewers watching movies on smart phones and Ipads !
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

The ironic thing is that the death of the mega changer could well to more piracy. Just the opposite of what Sony wants.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The ironic thing is that the death of the mega changer could well to more piracy. Just the opposite of what Sony wants.

I believe you are right Mr. Goose. In the absence of a changer option, only 2 extremes will exist in the market place. Lower quality easily pirated movies from burned DVDs and BDs, or very expensive storage solutions involving TBs of data storage that are legally questionable for BDs or ultra high end such as Kaleidoscape like systems (who should be legal although they do burn the BDs the movie requires the BD to be stored in the system to play). This will only be exasperated by 3D and 4K who have great data storage needs but fit on a BD.
Changers have likely always been a small market, but this I think is more due to a lack of commitment by manufacturers to properly market these devices and educate the public of their benefits.
Sony had to stop producing these since they are no longer compliant, ironically a concern over piracy. It is like when the music industry stopped making LPs, go totally digital, and then complain about piracy. Sony could keep churning out BDs, which if you are going to stream or compress is of no benefit to the consumer when it is so much easier and cheaper, sometimes free to download. This in of itself is not bad, there should be a cheap low quality option, it is just in Sony's best interest to support a high quality option also, and losing the convenience of a changer is a big step backwards.
Sony appears to be a clumsy giant though, and they likely have no idea if or when they will offer changers again. I hope the gravity of the proliferation of 50 GB BDs will once again refocus Sony on changers. After all, who would have thought we would have ever seen the rebirth of the LP as an option for those who want better quality audio?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
...what makes the Sony changers non-compliant -- how are they different from any normal BD player?

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

...what makes the Sony changers non-compliant -- how are they different from any normal BD player?

Analog HD video. Because that's how the piracy is working, right? The criminals are copying the data from the analog output. Nice job FCC and MPAA.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waff View Post

Analog HD video. Because that's how the piracy is working, right? The criminals are copying the data from the analog output. Nice job FCC and MPAA.

Sarcasm, right? Ripping a disc using AnyDVD gives you a bit for bit copy of the original. Who in their right mind would use the analog outputs to copy a blu-ray? Takes longer and quality isn't as good. The "analog sunset" is due to manufacturers wanting consumers to upgrade to hdmi equipment, it seems to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

....all BD players have component video outputs -- what's different with these Sonys?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
wnl

Quote:

....all BD players have component video outputs -- what's different with these Sonys?

In the future they won't. Current BD players are not allowed to output anything greater than 480i on their component outputs. The 7000 did not meet this rule so Sony is no longer allowed to sell them. That's why they were dumping them on the market late last year. By 2013 all new BDs will have only HDMI outputs.

Google for "analog sunset rule" for details.

I commented on this earlier in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21613023
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Remember, Sony is a hardware AND software maker. They make a lot more money on software (music and video), so it's natural to think they'd eliminate the analog output avenue first.

LG, Oppo, Sammy, Panny, Denon, etc - they aren't software companies, so the motivation to change isn't as great today.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post

In the future they won't. Current BD players are not allowed to output anything greater than 480i on their component outputs. The 7000 did not meet this rule so Sony is no longer allowed to sell them. That's why they were dumping them on the market late last year. By 2013 all new BDs will have only HDMI outputs.

I am not sure this is the only reason the changer was discontinued:

there are other ways to do this: DirecTV did a firmware update to disable (a splash screen appears) the composite & S Video outputs when the box was set for higher/ 1080 output...and Sony must have been aware of the rule when they designed the BD changer: the rule has been in place for some time

If that was the primary reason, Sony would have introduced a new changer with just HDMI out...or just made a firmware change

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Is component really going to limit resolution to 480i? I was under the impression that 480p was acceptable

Former USSB uplink operator.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I am not sure this is the only reason the changer was discontinued:

there are other ways to do this: DirecTV did a firmware update to disable the composite & S Video outputs when the box was set for higher/ 1080 output...and Sony must have been aware of the rule when they designed the BD changer: the rule has been in place for some time

If that was the primary reason, Sony would have introduced a new changer with just HDMI out...or just made a firmware change

Mark,
I think the "real" reason is that disc-based delivery of movies will be dead within 10 years.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

...I thought a player's output resolution limit over the analog outputs is governed by encoding contained in each disc. Thus far, few if any Blu-ray discs have been encoded to down-rez. Is this not right? I doubt if the Sony players are any different in this respect.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com