Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 3334 Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Sony just sent back my changer after almost 10 days ("parts on backorder"), from the "Invalid disc" issue and for those interested, the receipt I received back said the part that was swapped out was:

882042402 - DEVICE OPTICAL - KEM-430AAA/C.

Hooked it up real quick to try one disc . . . Bad Boys . . . plays fine!

What really irked me though is I always store my OEM boxes in the attic for these very reasons (and for resale value), and sent Sony my original box. They sent me back ONLY a generic brown box with the changer in green bubble-wrap!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3334 Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good note about the part. Looks like it's around $105 if you are out of warranty and want to brave the replacement yourself, which might be an option for those who have the 40 lbs. bricks laying around doing nothing.
post #2943 of 3334 Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 PM

The sony site lists this part for the BDP-S360. Do you think it's possible to swap out the part from a used BDP-360 and put it in the cx7000es? Anyone know anything about this stuff? Anyone know if this is a solder part or something that just screws and plugs in?
post #2944 of 3334 Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

A Sony part is a Sony part, so I would say you could.

This also shows in the 7000 service manual:

http://dc148.4shared.com/doc/wm9O5mgh/preview.html

Kevin

post #2945 of 3334 Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 AM

Kevin, thanks for the document link. Do you have the entire document? This one ends before it discusses the optical portion. No big deal if you don't, but it may come in handy later in life. Thanks again.
post #2946 of 3334 Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waff View Post

Kevin, thanks for the document link. Do you have the entire document? This one ends before it discusses the optical portion. No big deal if you don't, but it may come in handy later in life. Thanks again.

Sorry that's all I could find but it wasn't really meant to find a service manual for the 7000; just that the part was also meant for it (and of course the 960). I'm sure you can find the complete service manual on the net or one of the guys here has one to post.

Oh and BTW.... I forgot to mention after the servicing of this unit it shows a software version of: 15.4.020. Is that the same as everyone else or has this been updated from base mod?

Kevin

post #2947 of 3334 Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is the latest software version.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #2948 of 3334 Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Sorry that's all I could find but it wasn't really meant to find a service manual for the 7000; just that the part was also meant for it (and of course the 960). I'm sure you can find the complete service manual on the net or one of the guys here has one to post.

I posted a link almost 5 months ago on where to D/L a service manual for either the 960 or the 7000, anyone could have found that post with a simple search of this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2646
post #2949 of 3334 Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 PM

I was putting in some of my older discs today & all that came up was the Disc Title & the genre.

No director or actor information. I tried reloading & the same thing.

There was about a dozen I loaded in & it happened on about half of them.

Has anyone else noticed this lately.

It's the first time for me.
post #2950 of 3334 Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 AM

Maybe Gracenote was down? I find it helps in these cases to let the disc load but don't start playing it, then click Options on the remote and select the onscreen 'Load'. That seems to access in a different manner and often brings up a choice of titles.

However, Gracenote has some rather glaringly obvious gaps in its stored title list. One or two fairly recent Blu-ray titles I loaded - it had absolutely no clue what they were and I had to enter everything manually.
So maybe the title is simply not in the database.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #2951 of 3334 Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post

Maybe Gracenote was down? I find it helps in these cases to let the disc load but don't start playing it, then click Options on the remote and select the onscreen 'Load'. That seems to access in a different manner and often brings up a choice of titles.

However, Gracenote has some rather glaringly obvious gaps in its stored title list. One or two fairly recent Blu-ray titles I loaded - it had absolutely no clue what they were and I had to enter everything manually.
So maybe the title is simply not in the database.

The title is there along with the picture & genre.

Just no actor or director info. These are popular titles but catalog titles so all the info should be there.
post #2952 of 3334 Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Crazy! I have quite a few here that are missing the cover picture, or have the wrong genre totally, some missed the year, others the director etc. etc. It would appear that Gracenote is going to the dogs.
I emailed them about one title, can't remember which now, that they should have had written on their foreheads as it was a classic, and I got a 'we are trying to improve'-type of response, which means little to me I'm afraid.
One even insisted that the disc was something totally different from what it actually was, meaning I had to type everything in. It even put the wrong picture up but I managed to fool it into putting the generic one up by using the on-screen load option and picking various choices from a list of titles, none of which were the right one.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #2953 of 3334 Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Brit View Post

Crazy! I have quite a few here that are missing the cover picture, or have the wrong genre totally, some missed the year, others the director etc. etc. It would appear that Gracenote is going to the dogs.
I emailed them about one title, can't remember which now, that they should have had written on their foreheads as it was a classic, and I got a 'we are trying to improve'-type of response, which means little to me I'm afraid.
One even insisted that the disc was something totally different from what it actually was, meaning I had to type everything in. It even put the wrong picture up but I managed to fool it into putting the generic one up by using the on-screen load option and picking various choices from a list of titles, none of which were the right one.

I think maybe if Sony designed the changer to allow you to pick other gracenote selections, then your problem would be solved. Typically, I have several selections with using Control4 (which uses Gracenote), but I can also correct the errors. Although, sometimes I do have missing cover art, so rather easy in Control4. Just grab and download the coverart from another source and drop it in.
post #2954 of 3334 Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Well the Sony does occasionally give you a choice of titles if you do the Load by right-clicking the title. It also allows you to correct errors except in the picture and PG classifications.
It seems to me though that Gracenote is lacking in a lot of things. I've had it not know anything about a well-established title that has been released in that particular format (DVD or Blu-ray I mean) for quite some time, yet often it hardly knows anything and you have to enter it all manually. This could also be a problem with the disc manufacture of course, in that whatever the machine looks for on a disc that prompts the Gracenote look-up may be missing or faulty.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
post #2955 of 3334 Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sony has a fix for the "invalid disc" issue. Our problems with the 7000es units have been resolved. Fifteen of them in our client's home are working nicely without any indication of invalid discs
post #2956 of 3334 Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

Sony has a fix for the "invalid disc" issue. Our problems with the 7000es units have been resolved. Fifteen of them in our client's home are working nicely without any indication of invalid discs

What's the fix?
post #2957 of 3334 Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerk2010 View Post

What's the fix?

We never confirmed what the part was they replaced or upgraded,but I suspect it was the Bluray/DVD drive.
post #2958 of 3334 Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Just wondering if i can get some help from anyone that is using MyMovies for controlling the 7000? I want to build a Mac Mini server and am trying to figure out if this is possible? If not i guess i will build a Htpc to control them, but i would rather use the Mac Mini if possible.

Thanks for any help
post #2959 of 3334 Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We never confirmed what the part was they replaced or upgraded,but I suspect it was the Bluray/DVD drive.

As I posted earlier it was the optical engine but you have that many clients with defective machines and never confirmed the defective part? Were they all still under warranty?

Kevin

post #2960 of 3334 Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Well, I posted this several times. I just upgraded to the latest driver release from Control4 in January. Control4 had developed a new version of the driver, but it runs through the RS232. The driver was designed to fix the meta tag issues of Gracenote. I never get invalid disc issue, and none of my (3) Sony BDP-CX7000ES changers have ever been serviced. I currently have around 850 Blurays, and everything seems to work fine.
post #2961 of 3334 Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadaddy View Post

Just wondering if i can get some help from anyone that is using MyMovies for controlling the 7000? I want to build a Mac Mini server and am trying to figure out if this is possible? If not i guess i will build a Htpc to control them, but i would rather use the Mac Mini if possible.

Thanks for any help

You probably have to post over in MyMovies forum on controlling the 7000 with Mac OS X. My movies runs through the RS-232, so you have to buy special card to do it. http://www.mymovies.dk/products/my-m...-mac-os-x.aspx
Even though that website says that it will run Bluray. Ok, I see that Mac OS X supports Bluray now. Mac Mini was always limited in video, but "As of the July 2011 revision of the Mac Mini, the computer sports an Intel HD3000 graphics processor with an optional Radeon graphics processing unit available and Thunderbolt which makes decoding high-resolution video much quicker and efficient. The addition of an HDMI port simplifies connecting the Mini to high-definition televisions and home theater AV receivers."

What I would suggest is to build an HTPC with dual OS, basically you could build a hackintosh that runs a retail version of Mac OSX and Windows 7. That video card from Intel is going to limit you in the future. The main reason that I suggest to build 2 OS, is not limit you in the future. Like 4k is coming. (Yes, it is legal because of Mac OS X developer loop hole) $25 from Amazon on Mac OSX..Anyway, follow this thread and it tells how to build them. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=185097
I built a few with AMD, but I like to try Nvidia with Mac OS X. Although, I converted back to windows 7, because Mac OSX wouldn't work with my home automation setup.
post #2962 of 3334 Old 05-28-2012, 07:38 PM

I recently tried to load the latest Mission Impossible Blu ray, Ghost Protocol. It completely shut down the changer when it accessed Grace Notes. I bought another copy and had the same result. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a disk problem or a changer problem?
post #2963 of 3334 Old 05-28-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 960's and didn't have a problem.

Kevin

post #2964 of 3334 Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 PM

How fast is it to boot?
How slow to load a disc from tray spin to play?
Does it load the last disc watched when turning it back on?
Thanks.
post #2965 of 3334 Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Dad View Post

I recently tried to load the latest Mission Impossible Blu ray, Ghost Protocol. It completely shut down the changer when it accessed Grace Notes. I bought another copy and had the same result. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a disk problem or a changer problem?

Same problem here with the 7000ES and Ghost Protocol. Tried to play the disc a few times, as in your case it just shut the machine down when trying to load the disc. Disc plays fine in the Oppo.
post #2966 of 3334 Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM

I will have to try and buy ghost protocol this week I have a 7000 and a 960. I will see if it happens in either of my two changers.
post #2967 of 3334 Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadaddy View Post

Thanks for any help

My Movies for Windows Media Center must be installed with Windows Media Center actively running in order to queue up a given disc per the Sony BDP-CX7000ES. In my case I have a HTPC running Windows 7 64-bit and My Movies for WMC 4.03 PR4. Unless Windows Media Center is actively running on my HTPC I am unable to queue up a given disc per my Sony BDP-CX7000ES via the My Movies Pro iPhone/iPad applications. That being said, I would still suggest you post this question in the My Movies forum as well, but it certainly appears Windows 7 is a requirement per the Sony BDP-CX7000ES support.
post #2968 of 3334 Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Dad View Post

My copy works fine with Control4 as my controller. I have a (3) Sony 7000ES. (Turn off Gracenotes and see if it occurs) Mine are set on, but I run though the RS232 port with Control4.
post #2969 of 3334 Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM

Fifth Generation player for 8k video. Probably one of the reasons that Sony is not building any new changers. Blu-ray is consider to be third generation player.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/publica/bt/en/ch0040.pdf (second article)

Oh, you need to upgrade your audio as well 22.2 is proposed standard.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/publica/bt/en/fe0045-6.pdf
post #2970 of 3334 Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post

My Movies for Windows Media Center must be installed with Windows Media Center actively running in order to queue up a given disc per the Sony BDP-CX7000ES. In my case I have a HTPC running Windows 7 64-bit and My Movies for WMC 4.03 PR4. Unless Windows Media Center is actively running on my HTPC I am unable to queue up a given disc per my Sony BDP-CX7000ES via the My Movies Pro iPhone/iPad applications. That being said, I would still suggest you post this question in the My Movies forum as well, but it certainly appears Windows 7 is a requirement per the Sony BDP-CX7000ES support.

I am a bit confused on My movies post of OS X http://www.mymovies.dk/products/my-m...-mac-os-x.aspx Perhaps you can run through parallels.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer
Gear in this thread - F727 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page