AVS Forum banner
674K views 4K replies 437 participants last post by  superleo 
#1 ·
Okay, now that the issue is settled, and Sony has finally delivered what many have clamored for, it's time for a thread that no longer anticipates, but trumpets the arrival of the units. Since the earlier thread was as much about wondering whether the units would arrive, and observers need to go to recent posts to discover the answer, the time for this thread has come.

So I'll start this thread with a little background, i.e, my own reasons for preferring changers.

I started in home theater just before DVDs were initally released, and I still have (though not in my system) a LD player, which was the standard back then. I quickly determined that I wanted as nice a high-end system as I could afford, and I've pretty much stuck to that over the years, though now I'll mix in a bit of "value" as well.

I had Proceed Electronics, Krell Amps, Aerial Acoustic Speakers, and my first "good" projector was an NEC-XG1352LC, one of the best 8" CRTs, with a Faroudja NRS video processor. My determination was to get a similar high end DVD front, and that led me to . . . Sony, Pioneer Elite, Meridian, Theta, Proceed . . . until I learned a key lesson.

The real "difference" in terms of video quality (audio was almost always nearly equal) among DVD transports lay in the video transfer on the disc. Got a $4000 player? Bad discs looked bad on it, as they did on the $300 players. Got a great video transfer, like The Fifth Element? It will look great on a budget player, and on the $6000 Proceed player. Until . . .

Lots of discs. I first solved that problem with the first Sony DVD Mega Changer, a 200 disc model. I next gravitated to the Pioneer DV-F727, which was a 300 disc version, and greatly improved. I had both of the later released Sony changers, the 860 and 870 and, after a brief period of going back to a single disc changer, I realized that once you've had the luxury of a changer, you can't go back.

I should interrupt at this point to say that I was always concerned that I was squeezing the "best" out of my electronics, speakers, and video, and there was something too "mainstream" about my changers that bugged me. I did, after all, subscribe to Stereophile.

I began a series of tests, first on my CD changers vs. the reference CD players I had on hand--Sony ES, Proceed, Theta, Pioneer Elite--the same bunch as from the DVD single disc players.

What I learned is that, when using the analog outputs of CD players, the single disc was sometimes a shade better. But then when using the digital outputs of the same CD players, and feeding them into the same digital processor (first a Proceed, then a Krell, then a Lexicon) there was no difference. I could enjoy my CD collection knowing that I wasn't sacrificing an ounce of quality (to my ears), and I could enjoy the best of both worlds.

I was also satisfied, after many A/B comparisons between changer quality and single disc players, that the same was true from a video standpoint. While I don't dispute differences between players, what I have learned is this: In the entire process of judging video quality, there are two dominating factors. Those factors are: (1) The source itself (the quality of the disc or other transmission such as HDTV or SDTV); and (2) The display device--your TV or projector. I also learned that when you did those things right, you could have your cake and eat it too--you could have a high end system, and you could have the convenience of changers.

The most significant development in Changers came in the early 2000s, when Kenwood introduced its Sovereign series. This was the first 400 disc changer, and it introduced a lot of aficionados to the concept of the front-end server, in this case called Entre. While Entre was really a rebadged Escient, it remains one of the most versatile products that we've seen on the changer front. While I still have some Kenwood changers and at least one Entre unit in service, it never really caught on for a number of reasons. But, quietly, Sony continued its preeminence in this market with the release of the best DVD changer of all time, the Sony DVP-CX777ES. It is still the standard for any DVD changer, and, when combined with an Escient Fireball controller, provides one of the best combinations of elegance and quality that exist in the entire A/V market, not just DVD players.

So now, with still some unanswered questions as to why we've had to wait so long, Sony has finally sated us with the BDP-CX7000ES, capturing the early adopters (like me), but, after soaking us for that burst of profit, will release the BDP-CX960 in a few months.

I've already posted some initial observations on the earlier thread, but I'll repeat here. The BDP-CX7000ES is stellar on audio and video, although no more so than the Sony BDP-2000ES single disc player I had ealier. The build quality on the unit is the best I've seen among any changer, and I'm happy to say that Sony has delivered a winner, especially with the GUI that is onboard. While I've opted for the Escient Vision VS-100 (to control up to four changers but still not upgraded or delivered), I could have easily lived with the onboard version.

So there you go. Let's now devote discussion on performance, needed upgrades, and general changer talk since the beast has finally arrived.

Thanks,

Nick

Okay, here are links to the manuals for each changer. This is my idea and only my idea to post these. Never mind the context of the links
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/17343642

If this an offical thread then the OP should add some pics to the cover, specs and links.

Here is a link for the BDP-CX960 manual: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...60&region_id=1

Here is a link for the BDP-CX7000ES Manual: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...CX7000ES&LOC=3

Please put a little effort into it and add these LINKS to the cover

Me

Assuming that Escient keeps its promise--one never knows in consumer electronics--the BDP-CX7000ES will be capable of being controlled by one of Escient's discontinued Vision Products. For the FAQ on controlling the ES version, note:

Quote:
Sony Blu-ray Changer Control

Does Vision Support the new Sony 400 disc Blu-ray Changer?

Vision will support the new Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc changer with a software update in Q4 2009.

How does the Sony Blu-ray Changer connect to Vision?

Each changer will require an HDMI and an RS-232 (via USB-Serial adapter) connection to Vision. If you are using a single changer then this requires a Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter. If you are using more than one changer (up to 4) or require additional serial ports (i.e. external control) then this requires a Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter:

Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter

Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter

What Vision models support the Sony Blu-ray Changer?

The Vision VS model supports 1-4 changers and the VC model supports 1 changer.

Will the Sony Blu-ray Changer be available to Escient dealers?

Yes, the changer will be available to Escient dealers once the Vision software that supports it is released.

What kinds of discs will Vision support through the Sony Blu-ray Changer?

Vision will only recognize DVDs and Blu-ray discs stored in the changer. CDs will be ignored.

What A/V outputs are active on the changer?

Only HDMI switching is supported by Vision, but the changer itself can output HDMI and component video simultaneously.

Although Escient has been folded, D&M, its parent, still says it will support the eventual Escient Vision Support for the 7000ES. Note the following from Escient, on June 9, 2010:

Quote:
Nick,

Yes, there will be release notes provided with the update. It's still on-track for this month.

Regards,

Cory Poore

Escient Technical Support

cory.poore@escient.com

(800) 372-4368 Ext. 3

Additional questions?

FAQs www.escient.com/support/faqs.html

Product Manuals www.escient.com/support/manualsdocs.html

Software Updates www.escient.com/support/updates.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:04 PM

To: Poore, Cory

Subject: Fw: Press Release

I'm assuming this means the end of the month? Will there be any supporting documentation issued with the update?

Thanks,

Nick

----- Original Message -----

To: Poore, Cory

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:26 AM

Subject: Re: Press Release

Thanks, Cory. This is great news.

----- Original Message -----

To: Nick Satullo

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:16 AM

Subject: RE: Press Release

Nick,

You will still see support for the Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer. We have committed to the release of this software update by June.

Regards,

Cory Poore

Escient Technical Support

cory.poore@escient.com

(800) 372-4368 Ext. 3

Additional questions?

FAQs www.escient.com/support/faqs.html

Product Manuals www.escient.com/support/manualsdocs.html

Software Updates www.escient.com/support/updates.html

Today (June 18, 2010), Escient updated the software to its Vision Series, including external control of the BDP-CX7000ES. The notes with release state:

Quote:
Vision Maintenance Release 1.2

June 18, 2010

Summary

The Vision maintenance release 1.2 update is recommended for all Vision-VS and Vision-VC

Media Servers currently running 1.0.2.0 and later. It includes several new features and a

number of bug fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and performance of your Vision

system. A software update is also available for the Vision-VX servers but this is a minor bug

fix update so it is still a v1.0 update.

Important: Read before updating

• It is required that you have your Vision properly configured and connected to the Internet

prior to installing any updates.

• Stop playback and/or import of all media before starting the installation.

• The installation process should not be interrupted even if the progress bar remains

unchanged for several minutes. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during

installation, contact Escient Tech Support to obtain an update CD.

Installing the update

To update to the Vision maintenance release 1.2, wait for the automatic update period (one

per week) or manually trigger the update by selecting Check for Updates from the

Setup/Utilities/Software Update menu on your Vision.

The software update process may take several minutes to download and run depending on

the speed of your Internet connection and the current load on the Escient update servers.

When the update is complete, the Vision will reboot itself and display the main menu. You

can verify the current software version by viewing the System Information screen from the

Setup/Utilities/System Information menu on your Vision.

New Features in MR 1.2

• Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-Ray Changer support (BD and DVD discs only)

• Playback Behavior Options and the ability to Replace the Music Queue

• DVD On-Screen display

• Gracenote VideoID® Service

• Multi-language support (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Dutch)

• DVD Playback Frequency recognition for NTSC and PAL formats DVDs

• Music Compilation Tag support

• Cover art support for FLAC audio files

Improvements in MR 1.2

General

• Improved overall system stability

• Improved system memory usage

• Faster startup

• More reliable media streaming for movies and music

• Faster RAID re-syncing

Video

• Improved DVD playback

• Improved sharpness and black levels

• Improved de-interlacing of 30fps video

• Elimination of video stuttering

• Improved HDMI connectivity

• “Play Movie” feature removed for improved compatibility

Audio

• Faster audio playback

• Rhapsody playback reliability is improved

Additional Information

Additional information about this software update may be found by visiting the Escient

Support web site at http://www.escient.com/support or by calling our Tech Support team

directly at 1-800-ESCIENT.

This is hopefully a major milestone for the BD changer support. I have a Vision VS-1 in waiting for this very release, and can report back when it gets up and running.

July 21, 2010

I have made some progress with the Escient. Having burned the software update to a disc (I could not, for whatever reason, download it from the Escient server) . . . but I am still in need of help.

Escient support is "there," but they are not terribly helpful. The CSRs that are answering the phone told me: (1) I didn't need null modem cables to connect the changer to the Escient (you do); (2) that there was an RS-232 port on the back of the Escient (there isn't--there are two USB ports); and (3) didn't know how to load the drivers for the necessary USB to Serial Bridge that is recommended on the newly revised Escient FAQs. So, for your edification:

Quote:
Will it support Sony’s new BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer?

Yes, with the release of the Vision v1.2 software update, Vision now supports the new Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc changer. Changer based discs will only be available in the local zone, on the Vision VS or VC that has the changers physically connected and will only be output/switched via Vision’s HDMI output. Blu-ray content will not be available over the network to a remote client (i.e. VC-1).

Each changer will require an HDMI and an RS-232 (via USB-Serial adapter) connection to Vision. If you are using a single changer then this requires a Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter. If you are using more than one changer (up to 4) or require additional serial ports (i.e. external control) then this requires a Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter:

Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter

Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter

How do you connect an external control system that uses serial RS-232?

Serial external control requires an RS-232 to USB adapter. You need to purchase a Tripp·Lite USB-Serial Adapter model USA-19HS. Drivers for the Tripp·Lite USB Serial Adapter are already installed. For more information on the Tripp·Lite USB-Serial Adapter, please visit their site: USA-19HS. Depending on your control system, you may need to insert a null modem adapter (or cable) between your control system and the USB-Serial Adapter. It is always preferable to use TCP/IP for eternal control if your control system supports it. [Editor's Note: While this language on its face refers to an external control system of the Escient, such as a Crestron, it answers the question of how to download the drivers (already installed in the Escient); and gives the clue of the null modem cable (or adapter) which finally got the Escient Vision to recognize my two BD changers]

Once I got the Vision to recognize my changers, it started searching for discs, much in the same way that the Fireball did for DVDs. However, after a few abortive attempts, it loaded and catalogued about 50 discs, but that is about 10% of what I have loaded. For some reason, it stops looking them up. When I left home this AM, I had it set up to discover everything in both changers, but we'll see when I get home from work how much of a dent I've made.

Even among those it did find, it is proving finicky with regard to discs it doesn't like--discs it claims has a scratch, smudge, or something else preventing lookup, including those discs that the Sony could find on its own.

Having said that, I have been able to play with the user interface (to the extent of the 50 or so discs that did get recognized, and it is far superior to what's onboard the Sony. You can scroll by page, and the information and the cover art is large compared to the Sony. If I can get past these initial issues (and, alas, Escient's support is learning as we learn), it will be successful. But these are threshold issues that have to be resolved.

More as I keep fiddling around. When I get a chance, I'll post some screen shots of User Interface, and other assorted nuts.

Thanks,

Nick

See less See more
#3 ·
I've had two Sony 5-disc changers in the past, one SD, the other HD-upconvert, and the BDP-CX7000ES is the first multi-hundred changer I've ever considered. I've looked at the information on the Sony Style page and looked through the user manual (from the support page ), but can't find one thing I'm curious about:

I have less than 50 Blu-ray discs but well over 300 SD discs that I would want to store in this player, and several of those older SD discs had the movie on one side and bonus features on the other. Can the BDP-7000ES read two sides of a disc?

#6 ·
@butsu: It's human to keep excellent track of negative experiences, and not so of the good ones.

To put it in ancient terms (which shows the use of this): This blue berry made me sick: I'd better stay away from all blue berries.

See the problem? In the technology setting things advance very fast and never stay the same, unlike nature which advances very slowly.

And because nature advances slowly, so does the determination center in your brain whether you want something or not. It simply doesn't take the new facts into effect yet.

Try looking at it objectively and you'll see this device has many many fixes (both software and hardware) compared to the earlier versions. Your previous experience with another changer shouldn't affect you or others this much.

I among others am really on hot coles to speak in Dutch terms; I can barely wait for the cheaper version

And @ Drew: Unfortunately it can't read two sides.

#7 ·
I am going to check out the changer

I notice it has an RS232 port but Sony usually will not give out this info claiming it is only for custom installers. Anyone have the protocols?

Thanks

#8 ·
Just to pick up on a few points from the old thread:

barrygordon asked why a few of us were wanting service manuals. The main reason that I wanted one was to see if the mechanism had been modified at all to prevent the changer damaging discs. I have had a bad experience with the DVP-CX777ES recently (see here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16600385 ).

Having compared the service manuals for the 777ES and 7000ES there doesn't seem to be much difference in the disc loading mechanisms, in fact a lot of the parts are the same, so this is quite disappointing considering the cost of the 7000.

Someone commented that the 7000ES loses keyed-in data if the power is disconnected. I wonder if you plug in a USB memory stick at the back of the 7000ES, whether keyed-in data would be stored in that?

I read a review here http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony...er-Review.html saying that the 5000ES actually converts 1080p/24 content to 1080i/60 for processing then back to 24p for output. I'm wondering if the 7000ES does the same thing. The Mission Impossible Three BD might be a good disc to test this with. At the start of one of the chapters, someone walks down a flight of steps, and you can get shimmering on the steps if the image has gone through an interlaced stage.

The Escient Vision units use the same DVD database as Sony (Gracenote, which is owned by Sony apparently). This works quite well for US discs but not for European discs. However, you can add text and cover art quite easily on the Vision, unlike with the Sony interface.

Someone said that Escient were being slow in developing the new formware for the Vision to control the 7000ES, but the 'prototype' that Sony showed at CEDIA last year was actually just a mock-up - i.e. an empty box. I suspect Sony wouldn't have provided Escient (who are part of the Denon Marantz group) with a working unit much before the official launch.

The Escient Vision VS can be set to check for software updates and download/update automatically.

Escient have just released a new Prontoscript module for the Pronto TSU9600 (and Marantz clone) to control the Vision. Last time I looked it was on the Marantz integration section of the Escient website, but not on the Philips section(!). It looks very similar to the Vision web-browser interface. This now allows you to browse music by album.

#9 ·
I'd be lying if I didn't state that while I've been waiting for the "regular" CX version of this changer, I still have been considering a HDD-based home media player (as I DO believe disc media will scarcely be around in a decade ((or sooner?))).

But I keep coming back to the same obstacles with it (HDD):

1. The number of HDD's required for 3-400 UNcompressed BD's (I got into blu-ray for the finest playback available- no thanks to 5-10 GIG versions of 30 GIG films).

2. The COST of the above

3. The current inability of these devices to run BD ISO's and execute clean playback functionality (FF, RW, etc)...ditto for BD Live

4. The time and effort to rip 25GIG (and larger) BD's to a HDD

5. Backing up the above in a RAID array or otherwise

Sure BD changers have have their own drawbacks (including easy, multi-room playback), but their plug-n-play ease and MASSIVE storage offering in one box is undeniable to me. And when one considers that the units will play BD-R discs, the gap between the flexibility of a media player and this device is more narrowed still.

In the end, I just don't think MOST (myself included) are yet ready for a MP- especially those with massive collections.

HD requires too much storage (no, I don't believe 10-15 TB's of HDD is affordable yet), it's too time consuming to rip these large files to a HDD, most simply are not savvy enough to properly back this all up/implement it, and the MP option needs to include 100% of BD functionality...not 85% or so.

I know most have heard this already, just want to lay it down for the certain few that will enter this thread specifically to let us know how archaic and thick we are for even considering this technological dinosaur.

Carry on.

James

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/17012467

I am going to check out the changer

I notice it has an RS232 port but Sony usually will not give out this info claiming it is only for custom installers. Anyone have the protocols?

Thanks

I remember reading somewhere in the anticipation thread that someone had the protocols.

Edit: If memory serves me I believe it was barrygordon.....but don't hold me to that

#13 ·
Gentlemen,

I know it was asked in the last thread but I hadn't seen it yet, has there been any screenshots of the GUI? There was one posted for the other Sony changer, are they the exact same? If someone would not mind posting some simple pics of the GUI, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Boy /forum/post/17014970

Gentlemen,

I know it was asked in the last thread but I hadn't seen it yet, has there been any screenshots of the GUI? There was one posted for the other Sony changer, are they the exact same? If someone would not mind posting some simple pics of the GUI, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason.

The user guide available via the support link in Post 3 has screen images.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey alpha /forum/post/17013284

I remember reading somewhere in the anticipation thread that someone had the protocols.

Edit: If memory serves me I believe it was barrygordon.....but don't hold me to that

Thanks

here is the link for the RS232 data

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=624

#18 ·
This unit, NIB, is available for virtually wholesale price (or best offer), shipped, on eBay. This is all you need for complete Escient control of up to 4 BD changers (once the VS-100 receives its upgrade from Escient).

It's when I saw this available over the weekend that I caved and committed to Escient.

It's easily enough found. If you want a link, PM me.

Thanks,

Nick

#19 ·
This statement is found on the foot notes on the specifications page for the megachanger on the Sony Style website "1080p playback requires HDMI connector (sold separately)"

I would have thought this was just the HDMI cable but term "HDMI cable" is used on a subsequent footnote.

Has anyone tried to view 24p content yet? If so was something additional needed to be purchased? How is the 24p, any "judder" issues to speak of?

Thanks

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter /forum/post/17024385

This statement is found on the foot notes on the specifications page for the megachanger on the Sony Style website "1080p playback requires HDMI connector (sold separately)"

I would have thought this was just the HDMI cable but term "HDMI cable" is used on a subsequent footnote.

Has anyone tried to view 24p content yet? If so was something additional needed to be purchased? How is the 24p, any "judder" issues to speak of?

Thanks

I have not tried 1080p24, because my Qualia 004 does not accept it. However, the projector does accept 1080p60, and it is output over HDMI.

BYOHC (Bring Your Own HDMI Cable). It's all you need.

Thanks,

Nick

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter /forum/post/17024385

Thanks

I don't have a 1080/24p compatable TV, but page 67 of the owners manual states all the conditions necessary to obtain this format.

#24 ·
loaded 13 BR discs into my new 7000ES:

GraceNotes recognized all but the Spears & Munsil test disc that comes with the OPPO 83

the changer is slow (even on quick start) but it seems to work well

the repeat functions will not work with a BD disc as expected

noise: the changer has a fan but it has not come on after several hours of operation in A/C room

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/17028991

loaded 13 BR discs into my new 7000ES:

GraceNotes recognized all but the Spears & Munsil test disc that comes with the OPPO 83

the changer is slow (even on quick start) but it seems to work well

the repeat functions will not work with a BD disc as expected

noise: the changer has a fan but it has not come on after several hours of operation in A/C room

So am I to understand then that the new changer actually goes out to Gracenote via the network to grab the disc information? Or is it preloaded in the units memory?