BD/SACD player: Cambridge Audio AZUR 650BD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 206 Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this Looks interesting
It's taken a fair amount of time after the introduction of PS3 before we saw the first SACD-compatible BD player but now they're coming one after the other (see more universal players here). The latest brand to announce one is Cambridge Audio. The model is called azur 650BD.

Besides BD Profile 2.0 (BonusView and BD-Live), SACD and of course CD and DVD-Video also DVD-Audio and HDCD are supported.

Apparently the on-screen menus, or the Graphical User Interface if you will, look very similar to the Oppo's. The rear panel however suggests these two players do not share the same chassis.

The azur 650BD is scheduled for release in November 2009 at a price of €799.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 206 Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a feeling that is based off of the basic Oppo design (notice the front USB port), but hopefully Cambridge will do a little fine tuning to the sound quality of the unit.

I guess we'll see this at CEDIA.
post #3 of 206 Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This unit popped up in the Oppo thread a few weeks back. Some have claimed its not an Oppo clone even though it uses the exact same on-screen guiide. Maybe they use the same OEM in china?
post #4 of 206 Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM

Importer/distributor Audio Plus Services will show Cambridge Audio's Azur 650BD BD player at CEDIA.

The MSRP is $899.

www.twice.com
post #5 of 206 Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
This is not the first Cambridge model that seems to be an Oppo "cousin". My guess is that some of the audio section use different parts, like Wolfson DACs, but in this HDMI connected world that would mean very little. Is there full details of this player anywhere yet?

The Hun
post #6 of 206 Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM

They rear layout is different but I would like to see the hardware inside.

post #7 of 206 Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 PM

Considering that Oppo has OEMed stuff for Cambridge Audio before, it wouldn't be too weird.

Oppo 971H/Cambridge Audio DV79

I don't see gold plated connectors on the back though - the cheaper Oppo has those.
post #8 of 206 Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimby View Post

I don't see gold plated connectors on the back though - the cheaper Oppo has those.

Since cambridge is not charging an arm and a leg for their player I guess they have to de mod the player to save money.
post #9 of 206 Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM

I am hoping Cambridge will come out with the AZUR 850BD
post #10 of 206 Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Is Cambridge Audio related to Cambridge Soundworks?

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie
post #11 of 206 Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu View Post

I found this Looks interesting
It's taken a fair amount of time after the introduction of PS3 before we saw the first SACD-compatible BD player but now they're coming one after the other (see more universal players here). The latest brand to announce one is Cambridge Audio. The model is called azur 650BD.

Besides BD Profile 2.0 (BonusView and BD-Live), SACD and of course CD and DVD-Video also DVD-Audio and HDCD are supported.

Apparently the on-screen menus, or the Graphical User Interface if you will, look very similar to the Oppo's. The rear panel however suggests these two players do not share the same chassis.

The azur 650BD is scheduled for release in November 2009 at a price of €799.

Awesome!
Good Man,thanks for the info.I'm gonna look into one.
post #12 of 206 Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 PM

I wonder and hope it's gonna pass DVD-A/SACD via HDMI.
I would think so,huh???
post #13 of 206 Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggy40 View Post

I wonder and hope it's gonna pass DVD-A/SACD via HDMI.
I would think so,huh???

Its hdmi 1.3 like the oppo duggy40 so is compatible

Quote:

Interestingly the 650BD supports all high-resolution audio formats including DVDA and SACD, both can be output via HDMI, or output through the 7.1 channel analogue outputs.

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/1185
post #14 of 206 Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Great looking player, that's for sure.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #15 of 206 Old 09-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Yea,I'm excited about it.Always hear great things about their disc players.Can't remember model #'s but they were the upper 2 models.
Now that they blu ray and DVD-A/SACD,I'll probably buy one.
I say probably,because I picked up the Pioneer 09,after it came out thinking,awe well I'll just use and play the Dolby/DTS and CD layers of such disc's,but still,I just gotta have the real thing.
Take Care
post #16 of 206 Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
This looks interesting.
subscribed

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
one I'm sure interested in, a bit of info in this leaflet here

http://www.dimex.nl/blobs/Diversen/a...ced%20info.pdf

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #18 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM

The forthcoming Cambridge Audio 650BD is based on the Mediatek MTK8520/MTK8575 chipset. Cambridge Audio of course have a long relationship with Mediatek having based our DVD89/99, DV30 and 540D V1 and V2 DVD players on various Mediatek platforms.

When we decided to enter the Blu-ray market we did in fact investigate several alternatives but the sophistication and performance of the Mediatek platform made it a natural choice. As you would expect we are not the only brand to be using Mediatek development kits and application software, Oppo being the most well known other brand. Actually generally brands like us prefer to use platforms that are also used by other customers as it means that when/if issues with discs and playback formats are found everyone is feeding back into a common knowledge pool (Mediatek in this case) and all brands benefit in terms of the reliability and robustness of the chipset.

In terms of what Mediatek offer each customer the processor includes an OSD generator and tools for defining setup menus and the like. In fact Mediatek supply application code that gives an excellent framework for this. This does of course mean that any machine based on the chipset is very likely to have a similar look and feel to the On-Screen Display.

Ditto the connectors can be similar as there are various guidelines and designs included for PCB layout. Each manufacturer then edits these to greater or lesser extent to add their own flavour of sockets, DACs, power supplies etc. as they see fit.

So, in short, CA and Oppo or others actually have no relation. We are merely connected by our relationship with the actual chipset supplier, Mediatek.

James Johnson-Flint
CEO, Cambridge Audio Ltd / Audio Partnership Plc
post #19 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge Audio View Post

The forthcoming Cambridge Audio 650BD is based on the Mediatek MTK8520/MTK8575 chipset. Cambridge Audio of course have a long relationship with Mediatek having based our DVD89/99, DV30 and 540D V1 and V2 DVD players on various Mediatek platforms.

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten everyone. Very cool!

I just wanted to add in response to a previous post that Oppo does not make players, and therefor does not "OEM" players to other brands. The large Chinese mfg that makes the Oppo players also makes players for other brands, and some of those may be based on the same platforms as any given Oppo player.

As mentioned, smaller companies benefit greatly from doing this because R&D and bug-hunting time and costs are hugely reduced. The resulting product is more stable and costs/prices are lower. Everyone wins.
post #20 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes Mr. Johnson-Flint. Thank you very much for contributing the valuable information contained in your post.

The MTK chipset that you mention, although known for helping recreate quality audio output, is not known for being "high end".
However, CA is known for putting some very high quality audio components into the marketplace.

Would you mind sharing how CA insured high quality audio output from the 650BD?
It appears that the connections on the rear of the player are not gold plated like some players, and I'm curious to know if the player is going to have what could be considered higher end audio output, or if the player is intended more as an audio/video Blu-ray transport.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #21 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Gold plating is over-rated as a contact surface. While it doesn't corrode or generate a patina, it does in fact have slightly poorer contact conduction compared to nickel and copper. Mostly a feel-good item for consumers.

I'll take a quality nickel-chrome plated connector any time.
post #22 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

True that Mr. rdgrimes.
However, still curious what level of quality the audio will be coming out of this player.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #23 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

True that Mr. rdgrimes.
However, still curious what level of quality the audio will be coming out of this player.

Hint:
Quote:

Each manufacturer then edits these to greater or lesser extent to add their own flavour of sockets, DACs, power supplies etc. as they see fit.

Also possible that the pictured player is a pre-production model, (likely), and the connectors could change.
post #24 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 PM

I will wait for some measurements and open chassis pictures on the 650BD but from what we have been told I doubt much if anything will be better or different from the oppo.
post #25 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
I note in the brochure: The 650BD is a multi region DVD player, so there is no need to
throw out all your old DVDs!

Interesting you advertise this tidbit, is this allowed for the USA market?

Oppo Beta Group
post #26 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge Audio View Post

When we decided to enter the Blu-ray market we did in fact investigate several alternatives but the sophistication and performance of the Mediatek platform made it a natural choice. As you would expect we are not the only brand to be using Mediatek development kits and application software, Oppo being the most well known other brand. Actually generally brands like us prefer to use platforms that are also used by other customers as it means that when/if issues with discs and playback formats are found everyone is feeding back into a common knowledge pool (Mediatek in this case) and all brands benefit in terms of the reliability and robustness of the chipset.

In terms of what Mediatek offer each customer the processor includes an OSD generator and tools for defining setup menus and the like. In fact Mediatek supply application code that gives an excellent framework for this. This does of course mean that any machine based on the chipset is very likely to have a similar look and feel to the On-Screen Display.

Ditto the connectors can be similar as there are various guidelines and designs included for PCB layout. Each manufacturer then edits these to greater or lesser extent to add their own flavour of sockets, DACs, power supplies etc. as they see fit.

So, in short, CA and Oppo or others actually have no relation. We are merely connected by our relationship with the actual chipset supplier, Mediatek.

James Johnson-Flint
CEO, Cambridge Audio Ltd / Audio Partnership Plc

welcome to avs James, we a privileged to have contribution from the likes of yourself. Certainly look forward to the unit which looks pretty exciting !

I really like that you can tap into a stable platform.

one of the criticisms of oppo product for me has always been their dacs, power supplies used and analog implementation. Something I'm sure the like s of cambridge could do much to improve upon.

definitely eagerly looking forward to this one

post #27 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 View Post

I will wait for some measurements and open chassis pictures on the 650BD but from what we have been told I doubt much if anything will be better or different from the oppo.

As has already been stated, this player has nothing in common with the Oppo BDP-83. VERY different machines.
post #28 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

I note in the brochure: The 650BD is a multi region DVD player, so there is no need to
throw out all your old DVDs!

Interesting you advertise this tidbit, is this allowed for the USA market?

not sure on the US market, but very much legal in oz. infact its pretty rare now to find a player not region free on dvd. all the players from sony, panasonic pioneer etc all region free on dvd. its somethign that was eroded with early BD players here but a consumer expectation now, and we wouldnt accept any less ! something very pleased to see cambridge supporting for the australian market

post #29 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

one of the criticisms of oppo product for me has always been their dacs, power supplies used and analog implementation. Something I'm sure the like s of cambridge could do much to improve upon.

What is wrong with the current oppo design? How would cambridge make their unit better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

As has already been stated, this player has nothing in common with the Oppo BDP-83. VERY different machines.

Cambridge just said they share a lot of the development with oppo and other makers.
post #30 of 206 Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

For now the Cambridge Audio AZUR 650BD would be compared to the Oppo BDP-83, do you still wish to debate the Dac's, Power supplies used, and analog implementation after so many BDP-83 reviews online? You can use this recent BDP-83 review from LA Audio to start. I expect the AZUR 650BD to be a great player for its target audience, but you might find the criticism lacking analog wise against the Oppo BDP-83. At what point do we just say the analog design is acceptable in a Blu-Ray player and move on?

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page