Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1011 Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thats really good considering we're going in to great depression 2.0. Now if they can keep that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1011 Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Slim and a new receiver this weekend. Long story short...the first receiver was an Onkyo 807. I returned that and got a Denon 3310.

Part of the reason for the Onkyo return was that it was emitting a loud thump to my subwoofer every time the PS3 changed audio modes. You know how the true audio codec does not kick in on a Blu Ray until the movie starts? During the menus and government warnings, the disc is generally in Dolby Digital or some other codec. Then, when the movie starts, it changes to True HD or something like that.

Well, every time this switch happened, the Onkyo would thump my sub. I notice it also on my Denon, but not nearly as pronounced. Curiously, the sound is coming from my mains instead of my sub with the Denon.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting I can turn off that will prevent this?
post #273 of 1011 Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandamy View Post

I bought a Slim and a new receiver this weekend. Long story short...the first receiver was an Onkyo 807. I returned that and got a Denon 3310.

Part of the reason for the Onkyo return was that it was emitting a loud thump to my subwoofer every time the PS3 changed audio modes. You know how the true audio codec does not kick in on a Blu Ray until the movie starts? During the menus and government warnings, the disc is generally in Dolby Digital or some other codec. Then, when the movie starts, it changes to True HD or something like that.

Well, every time this switch happened, the Onkyo would thump my sub. I notice it also on my Denon, but not nearly as pronounced. Curiously, the sound is coming from my mains instead of my sub with the Denon.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting I can turn off that will prevent this?

I preseume you're bitstreaming, so it's the AVR changing audio modes that causes the transient. You could try switching the PS3 to LPCM output, letting it do all the decoding. Then your AVR will stay in MCH LPCM mode and it won't thump. You'll probably have to change the default volume on the AVR to match the level you were getting when bitstreaming, but otherwise the sound should be the same.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #274 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 AM

Do you believe the transient sound will harm the speakers?
post #275 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

16 feet is pretty far away and you could still hear it. If you are able to exchange it do so. I am about 7 feet from my slim and I could barely hear it.

I can easily hear mine from 20 feet away. I can also her the PS3 Fat at that distance and any TiVo.

Although I think I might just exchange mine just to make sure.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #276 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM

I finally did the 3.0 update last night and 'tested' a few DTS-HDMA and DD TrueHD titles, chapter jumping forward and backwards, pausing, ffwd, etc. and so far no issues whatsoever.
BTW, I'm bitstreaming to a Yamaha RXV-1800.
post #277 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I can easily hear mine from 20 feet away. I can also her the PS3 Fat at that distance and any TiVo.

Both of my TiVos (S2 and HD) are louder than my 40GB. And both of my TiVos are very hard to hear from 10 feet away in an otherwise quiet room.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #278 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Both of my TiVos (S2 and HD) are louder than my 40GB. And both of my TiVos are very hard to hear from 10 feet away in an otherwise quiet room.

I cannot hear the PS3 nor the PVR and I am sitting like 6 feet away, I guess my HT system is doing his job. If you still can hear the tivo and/or PS3 turn up the volume on the HT
post #279 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

I got my PS3 slim for $199. FedEx says it will be here tomorrow. If you qualify instantly for the Sony Visa they will give a a $100 credit on your first purchase $299 and up.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644595898

Thank you! Just did this myself.
post #280 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug View Post

Thank you! Just did this myself.

I did it too, a couple of years ago, and just want to add a note of caution.

Chase issues these cards, and Chase is prone to canceling cards that go unused, especially lately under the new credit card rules. And canceling relatively new lines of credit (not opening them, a common misconception) is a flag that can hurt your credit rating.

So if you use this offer to get the $100 credit, I recommend that you do so only if you plan to actually use and keep the card (or if you just don't care about your credit rating). The common practice of "open the account, take the credit, wait a year, cancel the card without ever using it again" is not necessarily as good a plan as it used to be.

Just something to consider. Because as day-to-day credit cards go, the Sony Card is not so great unless you are a big Sony customer. Its points aren't great, its benefits (like warranty extension) aren't great, its interest rate is the pits, and there are much better deals out there. Even from Chase.

But obviously, $100 up front is worth a lot of points!

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #281 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I did it too, a couple of years ago, and just want to add a note of caution.

Chase issues these cards, and Chase is prone to canceling cards that go unused, especially lately under the new credit card rules. And canceling relatively new lines of credit (not opening them, a common misconception) is a flag that can hurt your credit rating.

So if you use this offer to get the $100 credit, I recommend that you do so only if you plan to actually use and keep the card (or if you just don't care about your credit rating). The common practice of "open the account, take the credit, wait a year, cancel the card without ever using it again" is not necessarily as good a plan as it used to be.

Just something to consider. Because as day-to-day credit cards go, the Sony Card is not so great unless you are a big Sony customer. Its points aren't great, its benefits (like warranty extension) aren't great, its interest rate is the pits, and there are much better deals out there. Even from Chase.

But obviously, $100 up front is worth a lot of points!

And thank you for the word.

I will send my netflix fees to this card then to keep it valid, and without interest.
post #282 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing the PS3 will come next?

Looks like a deal between Sony and Netflix has finally been hashed out. The new BD-N460 will have NF capabilities.

I've been using playon for this capability which works fine, but would love something native that streams HD.
post #283 of 1011 Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Microsoft signed an exclusivity deal with Netflix making the 360 the only videogame console to have it. Just because a Sony SAL will have Netflix do not expect it on the PS3 because it will not and can not happen.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #284 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well I just bought one online at Dell. With a 15% off coupon and free shipping I ended up paying $277.63 after tax. Should be here early next week.
This'll be my first PS3 and Blu Ray player! So I'm doubly excited.
I'm gonna get MGS4 on the gaming side. For movies I'm gonna pick up The Dark Knight (which seems to be THE reference BR) but any other movies I should be looking at?

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #285 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Master and Commander sounds very good on BR.
post #286 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post

Well I just bought one online at Dell. With a 15% off coupon and free shipping I ended up paying $277.63 after tax. Should be here early next week.
This'll be my first PS3 and Blu Ray player! So I'm doubly excited.
I'm gonna get MGS4 on the gaming side. For movies I'm gonna pick up The Dark Knight (which seems to be THE reference BR) but any other movies I should be looking at?

Congrats. I'm sure your going to love it. But as movies are concerned you might want to have a gander at this list.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #287 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Crap! I screwed up and got my first post locked. Here's the short version.

My 40 gig PS3's fan is loud when playing blurays at the following temps. At an 85 degree temp reading at the side intake, the fan gets loud within seconds. At 82 the fan gets loud anywhere from 20-45 minutes. At 78 the fan is silent during the entire movie.

I really appreciate anyone willing to measure intake temps on their slims or fats and at what temp the fan kicks up.

I'm thinking about trading for a slim, but would be disappointed if it were just as loud at the higher room temps. Thanks.
post #288 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Microsoft signed an exclusivity deal with Netflix making the 360 the only videogame console to have it. Just because a Sony SAL will have Netflix do not expect it on the PS3 because it will not and can not happen.

This is not entirely accurate. They have a timed exclusive window. NF have themselves said a monht or two ago they were actively looking a bringing it to other popular consoles, without naming names.
The speculation is that the "not on Sony" clause expires this fall when NF will appear on Sony BR players as announced as well as the PS3.
post #289 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

After monkeying around with my PS3 Slim trying to figure out media sharing from an XP machine, the fan turned on and it is too loud. Those of you that say your Slim is "silent", do you know whether or not your cooling fan is running or not? If not, that's why it's silent. If your fan is running, then mine is way too loud.

I picked my Slim up from Game Stop. Should I try to exchange it?
post #290 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

I know the fan in mine is running after 20-30 minutes in a game. It goes from silent to a barely audible hum at about 8-10 feet away. Any TV sound covers it, as does my air conditioning running and any other ambient noise. Its very very soft, virtually silent, but the fan is definitely on, you can feel the air coming out the back.
It also depends on your room temperatures. We keep ours at about 78F.
post #291 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

I know the fan in mine is running after 20-30 minutes in a game. It goes from silent to a barely audible hum at about 8-10 feet away. Any TV sound covers it, as does my air conditioning running and any other ambient noise. Its very very soft, virtually silent, but the fan is definitely on, you can feel the air coming out the back.
It also depends on your room temperatures. We keep ours at about 78F.

I'm actually about 14 feet away and my PS3 is in a cabinet with a perforated metal door and open back. The fan is CLEARLY audible. It would take more than my central AC running to cover the noise. I'm guessing mine is much worse than it should be. This crap ALWAYS happens to me. Sometimes I wish I didn't buy all this crap so my life wouldn't be so complicated...

My PS3's fan is almost as loud as the fans in my main PC rig. It's loud and it's very annoying when the fan is on.
post #292 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I have to say that this fan stuff just bLoWs my mind (sorry ).

I've had a fat and a slim and have never heard either more than a couple of feet away.

sorry to those suffering!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #293 of 1011 Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I have to say that this fan stuff just bLoWs my mind (sorry ).

I've had a fat and a slim and have never heard either more than a couple of feet away.

sorry to those suffering!

James

That's great! But how warm is the area in which it resides? If it's 82F or higher, then I'll have to start thinking that mine is maybe defective in some way.

On my PS3 it's not the fan itself that's so noisy, but the swish noise of large amounts of air being pulled and pushed through small grids.
post #294 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkul View Post

That's great! But how warm is the area in which it resides? If it's 82F or higher, then I'll have to start thinking that mine is maybe defective in some way.

On my PS3 it's not the fan itself that's so noisy, but the swish noise of large amounts of air being pulled and pushed through small grids.

I keep my room around 73 or 74 degrees. The Slim is in a cabinet that is open in the front and back and there is plenty of room above the unit and on the sides. I can easily hear the fan with TV and A/C on. It's nowhere near silent.

I plan on exchanging mine at BestBuy this weekend to see if I can get a quieter one.

LED DLP

post #295 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think Slim's noise factor vary between units. I have 2 Slim's at home. One I purchased at BB and the other I traded my 60GB PS3 for from EB.

The BB one is noisy, not really loud, but noticeable. The EB Slim is noiseless, even after 5-6 hours. Its kind of eerie. Needless to say I'm returning the BB Slim.

Two Slims widely differing noise. Strange.
post #296 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

To Those with Loud Slims:

Humor me...there was/is a rumor going around when the Slim launched that if you flipped the orientation of the power cord on the back of the Slim, you could adjust the level of heat/fan noise produced by the unit. When installing mine I made sure to have the white lettering of the power cord facing the top of the unit. I haven't heard more than a faint hum and just a warm breeze from the back of the unit. So if you think you have an excessively loud one, try switching the orientation of the plug. I'm willing to bet its all just rumors, but what have you to lose before returning it.

Oh...and mine lives at about 75-77 degrees in an open cabinet with great space all around, but the opening to the back could be bigger.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #297 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Humor me...there was/is a rumor going around when the Slim launched that if you flipped the orientation of the power cord on the back of the Slim, you could adjust the level of heat/fan noise produced by the unit. When installing mine I made sure to have the white lettering of the power cord facing the top of the unit. I haven't heard more than a faint hum and just a warm breeze from the back of the unit. So if you think you have an excessively loud one, try switching the orientation of the plug. I'm willing to bet its all just rumors, but what have you to lose before returning it.

Oh...and mine lives at about 75-77 degrees in an open cabinet with great space all around, but the opening to the back could be bigger.

Since I'm going to attempt an exchange of my loud Slim either tonight or tomorrow, I performed this simple test this morning. My fan is still loud, but it was a little more quiet than last night. However, the circumstances were different. I keep my home at 75 degrees during the day and 69 degrees at night. So when I performed this test, the ambient room temperature was 6 degrees cooler. I'm not certain just how much of a difference that makes.

I sat 4' from the Slim when I flipped the cord and started it up. I played a demo game I downloaded to get things heated up. The Slim started out silent. I could just barely hear my DVR sitting there. After playing the game for about 5-10 minutes, I heard the fan on the Slim seemly ramping up speed as if it's a continuously variable controlled fan. It was now just slightly louder than my DVR. I was running out of time, so I inserted a standard DVD and let the Slim play that while I got my kids ready for school. I came back into the room and the fan was loud. I stopped the DVD so I'd know it was just the fan noise and not the optical drive; clearly the fan. Again, the fan wasn't as loud as I heard last night, but it's still pretty loud and VERY annoying.
post #298 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

"Loud Slim" would be a good name for an old-timey C&W singer.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #299 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

After playing the game for about 5-10 minutes, I heard the fan on the Slim seemly ramping up speed as if it's a continuously variable controlled fan.

Interesting! If the slim does indeed have a continuously variable speed fan, that would account for all the different noise levels reported between owners.

I only hear 2 speeds of my fat, although I think someone had said there are 3 or 4 speeds.
post #300 of 1011 Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

I'll try this tonight.

LED DLP

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page