Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Going by some the youtube videos I guess I do have a so-called quiet slim. although I can still easily hear it from 16 feet away. Just like a TiVo only easier to hear than a TiVo.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright so i finally got around to playing around with some options on the setup. Heres 2 scenarios:

1. Watching blu ray "Dark Knight" which supports True HD. The display on the ps3 says Dolby digital. Display on the AVR says PCM.

2. Watching "300" which also supports True HD. The display on the ps3 says Dolby True HD. Display on the AVR still says PCM. This is on an autosurround option on the AVR.

Checked the settings on the ps3 and everything is checked including Dolby True HD. Have the ps3 bitstreaming audio.

So I dont know whats going on, is my Pioneer VSX-21txh not compatible with the ps3 formating into Dolby true hd? At least the AVR does not light up "True HD." Is anyone else running the same ps3/pioneer vsx-21txh combo and running into this problem??
post #363 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo samurai View Post

Alright so i finally got around to playing around with some options on the setup. Heres 2 scenarios:

1. Watching blu ray "Dark Knight" which supports True HD. The display on the ps3 says Dolby digital. Display on the AVR says PCM.

2. Watching "300" which also supports True HD. The display on the ps3 says Dolby True HD. Display on the AVR still says PCM. This is on an autosurround option on the AVR.

Checked the settings on the ps3 and everything is checked including Dolby True HD. Have the ps3 bitstreaming audio.

So I dont know whats going on, is my Pioneer VSX-21txh not compatible with the ps3 formating into Dolby true hd? At least the AVR does not light up "True HD." Is anyone else running the same ps3/pioneer vsx-21txh combo and running into this problem??

1. By default some Warner Bros. default to DD. You need to change your audio to True HD.

You may want to search on issues that I believe Pioneer AVR's are having with the slim. I believe it is something to do with the hand shake not locking in properly. Search the forums for the work around, but definately follow up with Pioneer if they are looking into this issue.
post #364 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA View Post

1. By default some Warner Bros. default to DD. You need to change your audio to True HD.

I kind of puzzled as to why some BDs have both DD and DD TrueHD in the first place. Why not just have DD TrueHD? Those that have an HDMI receiver will get HD audio and for those that don't have it, the DD TrueHD will automatically be downconverted to DD.
post #365 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 PM

Okay, i found my mistake. I kept for some reason overlooking an ps3 audio setting. Its under the video settings. I changed the optical audio setting to bitstream but not the other ps3 audio setting. Theres 2 audio settings. So i switched the other to bitstream as well, and guess what? When watching "300" now the AVR says TRUE HD. Finally. I also spoke with a pioneer rep from the support. He said regardless of what the ps3 display says when it did say True hd it is truly not if my AVR says PCM. So the AVR will automatically convert the signal true to what it is decoding. Thanks for all the help guys.
post #366 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Okay, i found my mistake. I kept for some reason overlooking an ps3 audio setting. Its under the video settings. I changed the optical audio setting to bitstream but not the other ps3 audio setting. Theres 2 audio settings. So i switched the other to bitstream as well, and guess what? When watching "300" now the AVR says TRUE HD. Finally. I also spoke with a pioneer rep from the support. He said regardless of what the ps3 display says when it did say True hd it is truly not if my AVR says PCM. So the AVR will automatically convert the signal true to what it is decoding. Thanks for all the help guys.

So what you were doing was right as well. You were running the LPCM version of the same thing. Ie. the PS3 was outputting TrueHD as an internally decoded signal. At the AVR, it saw the signal that was multichannel PCM which is correct. So, the Pio rep doesn't know his stuff. You did hear the lossless sound, but you just didn't get the pretty lights. It's a well known thing, that the PS3 does the decoding of the HD signals (unless you own the slim and chose to bitstream), and that at the AVR all you will see is Multichin/PCM. And that to many, sounds just the same as the bitstreamed signal.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #367 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM

I agree, i told the pioneer rep that and he was not buying it. Yes i do have the new ps3 slim and was bitstreaming but now on the correct setting. To be honest, i couldn't tell the difference with the True hd when the ps3 said true hd but the avr said pcm. Now i have the pretty lights saying True HD. Good enough for me, im a believer. Thanks
post #368 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, i told the pioneer rep that and he was not buying it. Yes i do have the new ps3 slim and was bitstreaming but now on the correct setting. To be honest, i couldn't tell the difference with the True hd when the ps3 said true hd but the avr said pcm. Now i have the pretty lights saying True HD. Good enough for me, im a believer. Thanks

you and me both. if the current argument is true: bitstream = LPCM. Then I'll take the one with the pretty blue light. Albeit, be warned, there is some secondary audio that wont come across in bistream form. Ex. in Pirates of the Caribean: CotBP the clank of the main menu audio is distinctly heard in the LPCM mode. In bistream, its not heard until you play the movie in LPCM and then hit the pop up menu (you won't hear it at the main menu). It's so minor I don't care, but there are those that do.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #369 of 1011 Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

I kind of puzzled as to why some BDs have both DD and DD TrueHD in the first place. Why not just have DD TrueHD? Those that have an HDMI receiver will get HD audio and for those that don't have it, the DD TrueHD will automatically be downconverted to DD.

All players can't downconvert and it's not like DTS where there is a core element. They are required to have the legacy codec and since there isn't a core DD in Dolby TrueHD like there is with DTS-MA, they need to have a separate legacy DD track.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #370 of 1011 Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Just purchased a second Slim for the upstairs, and Gee Whizzzzz... damn thing is so loud I can hear it on the main level! The first one I have was exchanged already and that one is much quieter! It bothers me to have to go back to Best Buy and exchange the damn unit all over again!!! Makes me regret selling my 60gb last month, which was "silent"
post #371 of 1011 Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM

I have a 92TXH, PS3 Slim, and a 65V10 and I am having problems when turning the PS3 on. When everything is powered up the PS3 isn't being displayed on the TV and the receiver is flashing a format error. I dont get this error when the PS3 is set to 480i but when I have 1080P selected on the PS3 it wont work. I have to turn off the receiver and then turn back on for the error to go away and display the PS3 menu. I run everything HDMI to the receiver and then 1 HDMI to the TV. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what the issue is?
post #372 of 1011 Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 AM

I have been reading this thread since the start.

I didnt know the Original PS3's were going for so much on ebay, so I figured I would sell mine, get a slim, and see that DTS-MA and True-HD light on my receiver. Ha

Night and day on the fan noise. This thing is MUCH better.

I never noticed anyway, due to the volume I play most things at, but this thing rocks.
post #373 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPlato View Post

I don't understand why some of you got a "quiet" PS3 slim, when I get the "noisy" one. I tried out 3 different one, all about the same loudness. Should I try again, maybe it is a different batch?

Nah, i say don't bother. I believe almost all the slim ps3's are about the same. People just have different tolerance for noise level.

Fan noise on slims is not that loud but it is higher pitched. This higher pitch may annoy some (like me) who are more sensitive to these frequencies. Plus everybody has a different setup which effects the noise level.

I'm currently experimenting to find the best placement for the slim to reduce fan noise level.
post #374 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 AM

So I think I read I can feed my Zone 2 with the PS3 audio too right?

So, whats the best way to do that? Component cables or Optical? I got the Onkyo 706.
post #375 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't really used my PS3 Slim much lately since exchanging my previous one because of the loud fan. I watched a movie with it for the first time last night and not once could I hear the Slim's fan. After the movie was over, I verified that it was making some noise, but it's MUCH less than my first Slim. Thank goodness!

One thing I did notice is that the OSD from my receiver (Onkyo 876) displays on the main menu of the PS3, but it does not display when playing a Blu-ray. Is there a setting or something I'm missing, or is this just the way it is? I have never had this issue with any other source. The OSD works not matter what resolution or screen mode I've used.
post #376 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I haven't really used my PS3 Slim much lately since exchanging my previous one because of the loud fan. I watched a movie with it for the first time last night and not once could I hear the Slim's fan. After the movie was over, I verified that it was making some noise, but it's MUCH less than my first Slim. Thank goodness!

One thing I did notice is that the OSD from my receiver (Onkyo 876) displays on the main menu of the PS3, but it does not display when playing a Blu-ray. Is there a setting or something I'm missing, or is this just the way it is? I have never had this issue with any other source. The OSD works not matter what resolution or screen mode I've used.

Hmm, most likely room ambient temp is different since you say last night. Last night fan noise was less with me as well. It's louder today as its hot and i'm too cheap to turn on a/c.

I dunno about your OSD though.
post #377 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug View Post

So I think I read I can feed my Zone 2 with the PS3 audio too right?

So, whats the best way to do that? Component cables or Optical? I got the Onkyo 706.

Zone 2 requires analog audio connections ("component" is for video, not audio).

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #378 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bet your OSD will not work with 24hz source. To test this theory disable the PS3's 24Hz output under video settings.
post #379 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

I bet your OSD will not work with 24hz source. To test this theory disable the PS3's 24Hz output under video settings.

That was it. My OSD now works when playing movies. Thank you very much!
post #380 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was it. My OSD now works when playing movies. Thank you very much!

You are welcome.

But if you have a nice new TV with 120 or 240Hz update and 5:5 or 10:10 pull-down you will want the 24Hz enabled to give you the smoothest image during Bluray Movie playback (no slight juddering during motion or when the credits roll at the end.) Is the OSD that important to you?
post #381 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are welcome.

But if you have a nice new TV with 120 or 240Hz update and 5:5 or 10:10 pull-down you will want the 24Hz enabled to give you the smoothest image during Bluray Movie playback (no slight juddering during motion or when the credits roll at the end.) Is the OSD that important to you?

I'm not sure you're even speaking English anymore. I'm an audio guy, HT is a VERY distant 2nd. My display is a 2008 50" Panasonic plasma. I watched part of Wolverine tonight after making the switch, and I couldn't tell any difference. So yes, I'd rather have my OSD because I can't see my receiver because it's too far away and behind a perforated metal door.

Out of curiosity, I'll watch for the "juddering". If I start to see it, it will bother me. I'm just that sort of person.
post #382 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have an HDTV that does the 120 refresh rate. its very nice. I also have the older ps3 with the 80.

Jacob
post #383 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Alright, I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this, but here goes.

I have a PS3 Slim and a Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver. I had an older PS3 and had PCM selected but I want to try out Dolby TrueHD because I hear its a bit punchier.

Anyways, I have connected the PS3 Slim to my 663 with HDMI and in the PS3 setup I have bitstream setup on the HDMI output. When I go into my movie (Dark Knight) and start the movie it displays "Dolby Digital" on the receiver screen. OK this is fine, but this isn't TrueHD. When I hit menu and select the TrueHD audio track I get no sound through the receiver at all. Going back to the PS3 setup I have went into the HDMI audio settings and disabled anything but Dolby Digital, Plus, and TrueHD. I have turned off all of the PCM settings because I want to try out TrueHD for the hell of it.

Has anyone else had any luck? I know that PCM = TrueHD in the sense of bit-for-bit, but I want to try TrueHD and I should be able to with this receiver and this PS3 slim now that the audio chip is fixed.
post #384 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

my first guess is that you didnt not change the ps3 setting from lpcm to bitstream?

well.. i just reread.. so cancel that... is there an auto setting on that specific input on the yamaha? i know on my old yamaha v995 that if you manually set it to dd or dts then it would not automatically go back to the other one.. it had to be set to auto... yikes other than that i dont know...
post #385 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

also make sure the truehd track is selected in the player.. i seem to remember that with batman that it defaults to the dd track as opposed to the true hd... check that...
post #386 of 1011 Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 PM

I have selected the TrueHD track on Batman The Dark Knight and when I change to that audio track I get no sound at all on my receiver. I have also checked the receiver settings and they are all set to auto on the HDMI. Still not working.
post #387 of 1011 Old 09-20-2009, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a reason why you can't see the OSD with certain receivers/settings. In order to be able to display the receiver's OSD, it will need to process the video signal. Some find that unnecessary and could introduce artifacts (or you may not notice). I found that happened to me with the Harman Kardon 254.
post #388 of 1011 Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattont View Post

Alright, I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this, but here goes.

I have a PS3 Slim and a Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver. I had an older PS3 and had PCM selected but I want to try out Dolby TrueHD because I hear its a bit punchier.

Anyways, I have connected the PS3 Slim to my 663 with HDMI and in the PS3 setup I have bitstream setup on the HDMI output. When I go into my movie (Dark Knight) and start the movie it displays "Dolby Digital" on the receiver screen. OK this is fine, but this isn't TrueHD. When I hit menu and select the TrueHD audio track I get no sound through the receiver at all. Going back to the PS3 setup I have went into the HDMI audio settings and disabled anything but Dolby Digital, Plus, and TrueHD. I have turned off all of the PCM settings because I want to try out TrueHD for the hell of it.

Has anyone else had any luck? I know that PCM = TrueHD in the sense of bit-for-bit, but I want to try TrueHD and I should be able to with this receiver and this PS3 slim now that the audio chip is fixed.

You may be encountering the same bitstream issue that some Pioneer owners are experiencing. (See linked thread below) They've had varying success by cycling through the audio options on the disc. For instance switching from TrueHD to Dolby Digital then back to TrueHD. Like I said this only works with some. At this point there is no solution unless Sony or Pioneer release some sort of firmware update to correct the problem. Your only option at this point is to use the internal decoders in the PS3 and output LPCM.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1176517
post #389 of 1011 Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure you're even speaking English anymore. I'm an audio guy, HT is a VERY distant 2nd. My display is a 2008 50" Panasonic plasma. I watched part of Wolverine tonight after making the switch, and I couldn't tell any difference. So yes, I'd rather have my OSD because I can't see my receiver because it's too far away and behind a perforated metal door.

Out of curiosity, I'll watch for the "juddering". If I start to see it, it will bother me. I'm just that sort of person.

With a < 2009 Panasonic Plasma, you are probably better off turning off the 24Hz setting. I know that until recently Panasonic had a flickering issue on their plasma when it used 48K 2:2 (when using a 24Hz source).
post #390 of 1011 Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With a < 2009 Panasonic Plasma, you are probably better off turning off the 24Hz setting. I know that until recently Panasonic had a flickering issue on their plasma when it used 48K 2:2 (when using a 24Hz source).

I'll keep the feature in mind as I'm about to upgrade to a 58" plasma. I just haven't picked the exact model just yet.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page