Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1011 Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have furniture, carpet and drapes. It doesn't matter whether they are there or not. I can hear the fan from the direction of the device.

Even if I enclose it in a cabinet I can hear it. In that case not from 20 feet but from at least 10 feet.

this is normal for me. I can hear the refrigerator in the other end of a house or on a lower level too. Although that is not annoying like a ticking clock. That is the most annoying thing to me which is why I don't have ticking devices athome.

Remember, you don't watch a movie with the volume muted. Can you really hear a clock, the refrigerator on the other side of the house, or a watch in the drawer while a movie is playing? I think not.
The last time I had my hearing checked I didn't have any loss and I've never had a history of hearing problems. I think you're just crazy, LOL. Did you measure how loud your ps3 is?

My room is well insulated and I can watch an action movie, with all 6.1 speakers going to town in the loudest passages, or listen to music, without bothering my Wife anywhere in the house, and I have a small house. I think you'd benefit from some type of insulation if you can hear a refrigerator from the floor below, that might be more the nature of your noise "issues" than anything else. I live close to the San Francisco Intl. Airport and if I close the doors to my hobby room a 747 taking off right over my house isn't very loud at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1011 Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamers View Post

I just checked it. It hasn't been on since last night? I can still hear some sound up close. Like a hum of sorts or a spinning. No disc is in it right now either.

OK home from Best Buy with exchanged PS3 Slim. This one appears to powering all the way off now. I went ahead and bought the 2 year replacement warranty for $40 because I have had really bad luck with PS3's.
post #453 of 1011 Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Cool glad to hear you got a new one. Is it quiet when playing BD and games too?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #454 of 1011 Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Don't feel bad about the center not being in your area. I spent a good bit of time talking to pio when mine was being upgraded and they said only certain centers are authorized by pio to do firmware upgrades. For the upgrade pio will tell you which center to send it to so make sure you only send it to that one. Mine had to be shipped 200 miles to the nearest center that could the upgrade and several other people had to ship there's as well. I was 5 versions behind on mine and if you are far behind I bet the firmware upgrade fixes you problem as it has others.

Shipping it is a hasle but it's worth it to fix the problems.

BTW if you switch to another input like TV, VCR etc... on the receiver once the movie starts and then back to your HDMI input does it lock to DTS-HD MA?

well, i still havent heard anything back from pioneer yet...
post #455 of 1011 Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemar View Post

Remember, you don't watch a movie with the volume muted. Can you really hear a clock, the refrigerator on the other side of the house, or a watch in the drawer while a movie is playing? I think not.
The last time I had my hearing checked I didn't have any loss and I've never had a history of hearing problems. I think you're just crazy, LOL. Did you measure how loud your ps3 is?

My room is well insulated and I can watch an action movie, with all 6.1 speakers going to town in the loudest passages, or listen to music, without bothering my Wife anywhere in the house, and I have a small house. I think you'd benefit from some type of insulation if you can hear a refrigerator from the floor below, that might be more the nature of your noise "issues" than anything else. I live close to the San Francisco Intl. Airport and if I close the doors to my hobby room a 747 taking off right over my house isn't very loud at all.

I couldn't find my SPL meter. I loaned it to my brother and I'm not sure if he still has it. Well I'm hoping he has it because if not I have no idea where it is.

On the refrigerator and clocks etc, I can hear these in any house I've been to, it is not specific to where i live And I've been in many many houses over the years. Whether a $200K house or $1M house I can hear those same devices.

Now during a movie, during loud passages, of course I can't hear the PS3 and other noise like the TiVo etc. But during quiet passages, I have no problem hearing any of thsoe devices. Now of course I never listen at reference level either. that would be far too loud for me.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #456 of 1011 Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:

On the refrigerator and clocks etc, I can hear these in any house I've been to, it is not specific to where i live And I've been in many many houses over the years. Whether a $200K house or $1M house I can hear those same devices.

You're not going to hear a refrigerator on a different floor in a house that is well insulated. I'd ask for my one million dollars back if you could, or spend another 300 dollars and install some insulation and then you wont hear it. Thanks for the discussion anyway.
post #457 of 1011 Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 PM

Hey guys

Just got the slim replace my old 80gigs. Is it me or the new slim is not as loud as the old 80gigs. Other words i need to turn up the volume on my AVR (Yamaha 1700) higher to get decent sound out.
post #458 of 1011 Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemar View Post

You're not going to hear a refrigerator on a different floor in a house that is well insulated. I'd ask for my one million dollars back if you could, or spend another 300 dollars and install some insulation and then you wont hear it. Thanks for the discussion anyway.

It's not my fault you are unable to hear it. Houses don't typically have insulation in interior walls or between interior floors. This is standard practice in the DC area. I don't know about other areas but it is certainly the case here. I wish I couldn't here these things so easily but I do, and it's certainly not my imagination. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Next you'll say because a frequency is too high for your specific ears and you can't hear it, other people can't hear it either.

LED DLP
post #459 of 1011 Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not my fault you are unable to hear it. Houses don't typically have insulation in interior walls or between interior floors. This is standard practice in the DC area. I don't know about other areas but it is certainly the case here. I wish I couldn't here these things so easily but I do, and it's certainly not my imagination. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Next you'll say because a frequency is too high for your specific ears and you can't hear it, other people can't hear it either.

You must be lying then.
post #460 of 1011 Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

You must be lying then.

lol,, u guys are funny
post #461 of 1011 Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:

It's not my fault you are unable to hear it.

Who said I couldn't hear it?
Quote:

Houses don't typically have insulation in interior walls or between interior floors.

And there is your answer. You answered it for yourself.
Quote:

This is standard practice in the DC area. I don't know about other areas but it is certainly the case here. I wish I couldn't here these things so easily but I do, and it's certainly not my imagination. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Next you'll say because a frequency is too high for your specific ears and you can't hear it, other people can't hear it either.

Standard practice or not there is something you can do about it and you don't have to live with it. I insulated my garage walls myself, which is next to my hobby room, and I had the walls and ceiling of my hobby room insulated when it was rebuilt. You can buy acoustic foam if you have excess reverb or echo. Sad to spend hundreds or even thousands on home theater equipment only to spoil the sound experience with a sub-standard listening environment that can easily be rectified by researching and maybe spending a little more. Again, thanks for the discussion but you're not open to hearing anything but what you think is the truth.
post #462 of 1011 Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Houses don't typically have insulation in interior walls or between interior floors. This is standard practice in the DC area.

If this were true, then the very loud sound of water would be heard as it rolled through the pipes whenever a toilet was flushed. I believe DC has more than its share of government housing which might have overlooked proper insulation, but most homes built in recent decades should have insulation in the interior walls.
post #463 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyse View Post

I believe DC has more than its share of government housing which might have overlooked proper insulation, but most homes built in recent decades should have insulation in the interior walls.

I do construction work now (plumber) and cable installation for 5 years prior to what I do now and still have yet to see insulation on the interior. It may sometimes be used if a room is known to be noise though.

My small equipment list in on profile.
post #464 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 AM

Is the slim a good choice for my Blu-Ray and DVD player instead of a dedicated Blu-Ray player? I was planning to make it media center in hopes of not having to buy more stuff.

post #465 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyse View Post

If this were true, then the very loud sound of water would be heard as it rolled through the pipes whenever a toilet was flushed. I believe DC has more than its share of government housing which might have overlooked proper insulation, but most homes built in recent decades should have insulation in the interior walls.

I've seen hundreds of homes in the area in the last 20 years during construction. It was extremely rare to see insulation in an interior wall. Typical construction did no use it. This was on $1M+ houses, sub $200K houses and everything in between. It's also mostly in NorthernVA which is the DC area(DC, northern VA, and part of Maryland comprise the DC area).

LED DLP
post #466 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With all do respect, can the discussion go back to the new PS3 Slim?
post #467 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiy View Post

Is the slim a good choice for my Blu-Ray and DVD player instead of a dedicated Blu-Ray player? I was planning to make it media center in hopes of not having to buy more stuff.

Yes to your questions the slim is a great device for the price. It does a lot and it is still one of the fastest players out there. I had an original 60 and sold it, but once the slim came out I had to come back to the PS3 land.

I picked this up. Programs easily and has plenty of codes built in. I have all my devices programmed into it. It's not a harmony but sometimes simplicity works and for 49 bucks you can't go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Link-Unive...4409711&sr=8-1
post #468 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiy View Post

Yes. So far so good. I also have a Panny BD 50 and the PS3 is every bit as good playing Blu Ray. I bought the PS3 remote for BD and love it!

FYI: Government housing is probably under a different spec than public housing.

I agree with "Joe" the plumber that interior walls typically don't have insulation.

Nice Stuff!
post #469 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Ok thanks. I have heard it was good but just wanted to make sure before I made a definitive decision on putting it on the list.

post #470 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Looking for some help on using Bravia Sync on the slim. I have an XBR6 TV and my remote will control the PS3 when I turn the unit on to scroll through the home menu, however when I start a blu-ray I can't pause, ff, rw, play, stop etc... Any ideas? If it can't do these functions I don't really see why they added this feature.

I think I figured out my problem, I use an Logitech remote and it appears the Logitech software does not have the keys right for the remote for my TV.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #471 of 1011 Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA View Post

Yes to your questions the slim is a great device for the price. It does a lot and it is still one of the fastest players out there. I had an original 60 and sold it, but once the slim came out I had to come back to the PS3 land.

I picked this up. Programs easily and has plenty of codes built in. I have all my devices programmed into it. It's not a harmony but sometimes simplicity works and for 49 bucks you can't go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Link-Unive...4409711&sr=8-1

wow.. that remote looks pretty sweet... not many reviews so far though.. is it brand new?
post #472 of 1011 Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 View Post

wow.. that remote looks pretty sweet... not many reviews so far though.. is it brand new?

It's been around a few months. So far haven't had a problem.

The only thing that annoys me is that a blue pulse light is constant when your controlling the PS3. I get rid of that by selecting another device.

You pair it just like the Sony BT remote. This remote actually will power down your PS3.

If you read the reviews on Amazon most are 4 and 5 star. Like I said before for less than 50 this guy does plenty.
post #473 of 1011 Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl@ltDel View Post

With all do respect, can the discussion go back to the new PS3 Slim?

I use the harmony BT adapter with the PS3 Slim. Although I have the original HArmony 1. The newer one with teh colored buttons would be better but it has too much of a price premium.

WIth the lower power usage of the PS3 Slim and the capability to bitstream the advanced codecs, it's an excellent choice for BD playback.
I just wish it would output in 30 bit to my DVDO Edge. The EDGE had an update that made the max input 30bit instead of 36bit. The PS3 would output in 36 bit but apparently it won't in 30 bit so it drops down to 24 bit output.
My BD35 will do 24, 30, and 36 bit output. Of course it probably shouldn't make any difference since all content is 24 bit anyway.

Almost time for Stargate Universe!!

LED DLP
post #474 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So what's it actually look like in terms of integration into a AV rack/system?

One of the reasons I did not like the original PS3 is how it stuck out like a sore thumb. Its shape made it play not so well with others.

How is the slim working out in this regard?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #475 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 44
In regards to how it fits in equipment stands and racks, it's actually too small and the front face looks strange - in my opinion. I had to stack it on another piece of equipment for it to achieve the height I wanted.
post #476 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve. It was clearly the odd man out before. But given its size I could not easily stack it on top of anything to equalize the aesthetics of it.

If now I could stack it on top of my Pioneer 610 dvd player, not getting rid of it since it does sacd, keeps dvd playback hours off my blu-ray player, then that might work.

What did you stack it on and just your best guess how tall is the combo now?

By the way I didn't see it in your picture. I did look.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #477 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

So what's it actually look like in terms of integration into a AV rack/system?

One of the reasons I did not like the original PS3 is how it stuck out like a sore thumb.

If you really mean RACK and just not a series
of shelves - I think even the OLD one looks fine.

post #478 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

drh....

Shelves, not rack.

And in your pictures, and of course its your call, but to my eye the PS3 looks out of place. Its the answer to "Which one of these things looks like the other, which one doesn't..." from Sesame Street.

post #479 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

drh....

Shelves, not rack.

And in your pictures, and of course its your call, but to my eye the PS3 looks out of place. Its the answer to "Which one of these things looks like the other, which one doesn't..." from Sesame Street.

I agree - on shelves the round package is a problem.
It hides easy in a rack panel.
post #480 of 1011 Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked one up. So far so good. Was able to put it on top of my dvd player. Put the Logitech BT/IR converter next to it. All fits nicely.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page