Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 22 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here!

Blu-ray Players

drhankz's Avatar drhankz
04:10 PM Liked: 50
post #631 of 1011
12-09-2009 | Posts: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn1016 View Post

thanks, i will buy another one tonight and see if it helps. I am also going to seek out another blu ray payer just to see if it works any better, and start the narrowing process

There are ONLY THREE possibilities
WhatHappend's Avatar WhatHappend
04:39 PM Liked: 10
post #632 of 1011
12-09-2009 | Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn1016 View Post

It recognized the cable, asked if i wanted to switch to HD, and have it automatically optimize my settings. It looked great...for a few minutes. As I was completing the setup process, the screen flashed, and it went black.

Change the PS3 HDMI video setting to manual and disable the 1080p resolution and give it a try.

If that works, it looks like you cable may be bad.
streaker76's Avatar streaker76
06:34 PM Liked: 10
post #633 of 1011
12-09-2009 | Posts: 97
I purchased the PS3 Slim in September. I have a Marantz SR8002 (updated firmware) receiver with HDMI from PS3 to receiver. I have the setting on bitstream. I loose the picture and audio when I ffwd or rwd BLURAY MOVIES ONLY. If I change the setting to PCM all is fine.
I've tried two different PS3s same problem with the second Slim before and after the firmware 3.10 that was issued a couple weeks back

Use to have a Panny BD30K, no issues with bitstreaming.

I also reset the defaults on the Slim as well.

I just went a got a PannyDB60 this evening to test it out. Sure enough when selecting bitstream I have no issues what so ever when ffwd or rwding.

It's clearing the PS3 that has the issues when bitstreaming. I've spoken with the PS3 Tech Support and he said it's a compatibility issue with the HDMI on my reciever. I'm going to have to disagree as I've ruled out the Marantz and the Panny. I've tried to different Slims which have the same issues. How do I go about getting this straightened out.

If the links don't work let me know. I've attached a couple clips with 2 movies on the Panny and 2 on the PS3 showing what the issues are.
Hopefully this new firmware that PS3 is issuing on the 10th will help.

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_4597.flv
PS3 Slim

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_4595.flv
PS3 Slim

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_4594.flv
Panny DB60

http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_4593.flv
Panny DB60

Help and Thanks

Steve
tingham's Avatar tingham
06:39 PM Liked: 18
post #634 of 1011
12-09-2009 | Posts: 2,673
You might want to check out this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...itstream+issue
praveenk25's Avatar praveenk25
06:45 PM Liked: 10
post #635 of 1011
12-09-2009 | Posts: 32
I originally asked the question here but let me ask here in Slim thread as well. I previously had PS3 40GB and didn't had this aspect ratio issue. With slim, DVDs and Netflix streaming always shows aspect ratio problem. Movie characters looks compressed/fat and I'm sick of that.

I have it set in PS3 as 'letterbox'. Any idea what else needs to change?

Thanks!
tingham's Avatar tingham
06:59 PM Liked: 18
post #636 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenk25 View Post

I originally asked the question here but let me ask here in Slim thread as well. I previously had PS3 40GB and didn't had this aspect ratio issue. With slim, DVDs and Netflix streaming always shows aspect ratio problem. Movie characters looks compressed/fat and I'm sick of that.

I have it set in PS3 as 'letterbox'. Any idea what else needs to change?

Thanks!

I don't know about Netflix, but with DVD's did you try setting the BD/DVD upscaler settings to "normal" on the PS3?
07:02 PM Liked: 10
post #637 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

I don't know about Netflix, but with DVD's did you try setting the BD/DVD upscaler settings to "normal" on the PS3?

Yes it is set to Normal. Thx.
tingham's Avatar tingham
07:18 PM Liked: 18
post #638 of 1011
Weird! Are you running the signal thru a AVR?
07:30 PM Liked: 10
post #639 of 1011
Quote:

You might want to check out this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...itstream+issue

Thanks, I've been through that thread as well with some postings. It was mostly to do with the 3.0 issues. I thought I would keep it under the Master Slim Thread....

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about getting the issue fixed with Sony? They seem to think it's not their product but I disagree.
07:39 PM Liked: 10
post #640 of 1011
Quote:

Weird! Are you running the signal thru a AVR?

Yes, Yamaha RXV-663 as pre-pro. Blu rays works fine and so does my cable HD receiver. My previous PS3 didn't had this problem.
tingham's Avatar tingham
07:42 PM Liked: 18
post #641 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaker76 View Post

Thanks, I've been through that thread as well with some postings. It was mostly to do with the 3.0 issues. I thought I would keep it under the Master Slim Thread....

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about getting the issue fixed with Sony? They seem to think it's not their product but I disagree.

That stinks man. I think it's a strange issue between the Slim and your Marantz, and I have no idea if you will ever be able to solve it...Good Luck. Why don't you just use LPCM?
tingham's Avatar tingham
07:45 PM Liked: 18
post #642 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenk25 View Post

Yes, Yamaha RXV-663 as pre-pro. Blu rays works fine and so does my cable HD receiver. My previous PS3 didn't had this problem.

If I was you, with all your components "turned on", I would try the " Restore Default Settings" option on the PS3.
09:10 PM Liked: 10
post #643 of 1011
Quote:

That stinks man. I think it's a strange issue between the Slim and your Marantz, and I have no idea if you will ever be able to solve it...Good Luck. Why don't you just use LPCM?

I know that I could use PCM, I choose the bitstream but can't get it to work properly. It's also a very debatable topic which doesn't belong on this thread.

It really sucks that I can't get a straight answer from either Sony or Marantz. That's why I turned here.

Steve
quinn1016's Avatar quinn1016
11:18 AM Liked: 10
post #644 of 1011
12-10-2009 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Change the PS3 HDMI video setting to manual and disable the 1080p resolution and give it a try.

If that works, it looks like you cable may be bad.

Thanks, I will give it another try. Last night I was able to manually chose the output options, and selected the 1080p, and it did work. After going about my evening... I gave it another try, and the same problem was happening. Even this morning after manually choosing the settings, it stoped working after I ejected the disk and would not read the HDMI feed.

I will try the non 1080p option later. I am also going to pick up another cable and possibly an open box blu ray player to try a different HD device. It will help me see if it is the TV at least.
Erik Westlund's Avatar Erik Westlund
12:04 PM Liked: 12
post #645 of 1011
12-10-2009 | Posts: 23
streaker76: I may have an answer. But first I'm thinking out loud here to help brainstorm. Because I would like to know the results.
Could it be that the PS3 slim may not have a processor well enough suited for it and it's on the edge of this capability?
One benefit of the Panasonic BD players is that it has a 10 bit (or 12 bit in the case of the BD60) D/A converter. So if this is the case, then the Bitstream has more information to process and the pannys do a better job of this function. I know that the signal is fully digital (bitstream and PCM) but at some point this has to be converted so that we can hear and see what we are playing.
http://www.panasonic.com/apps/match-...y/DMP-BD60.pdf

... But ... It still may be your Receiver, even with a firmware Update. Your Marantz may not have the hardware processing power to swiftly convert this from a Digital to Analogue signal. Or if it's converted in the panny player the Marantz can not keep up with this signal.
This would be my next guess. So I would call Marantz about it and talk to a new person. Maybe you can send your receiver in for a new chip? They've done that before with their receivers in the past when there was a hardware upgrade available. It just depends on the way they made your model to adapt or not. And if you talk to the right people.
... Or if all else fails. Purchase or borrow a different receiver to find this out. ... You could just live with PCM. The debate for which is better is to small VS not having signal at all, right?
ew

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaker76 View Post

I purchased the PS3 Slim in September. I have a Marantz SR8002 (updated firmware) receiver with HDMI from PS3 to receiver. I have the setting on bitstream. I loose the picture and audio when I ffwd or rwd BLURAY MOVIES ONLY. If I change the setting to PCM all is fine.
I've tried two different PS3s same problem with the second Slim before and after the firmware 3.10 that was issued a couple weeks back

Use to have a Panny BD30K, no issues with bitstreaming.

Help and Thanks

Steve

pochoboy's Avatar pochoboy
01:44 PM Liked: 10
post #646 of 1011
12-10-2009 | Posts: 829
movies bitstream from the ps3 slim is louder than pcm from the ps3. With bitstream my Pio Recv'r does DD and DTS 5.1. I can't say for sure what the ps3 pcm sends to my recv'r though.
11:11 AM Liked: 10
post #647 of 1011
12-12-2009 | Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Westlund View Post

streaker76: I may have an answer. But first I'm thinking out loud here to help brainstorm. Because I would like to know the results.
Could it be that the PS3 slim may not have a processor well enough suited for it and it's on the edge of this capability?
One benefit of the Panasonic BD players is that it has a 10 bit (or 12 bit in the case of the BD60) D/A converter. So if this is the case, then the Bitstream has more information to process and the pannys do a better job of this function. I know that the signal is fully digital (bitstream and PCM) but at some point this has to be converted so that we can hear and see what we are playing.
http://www.panasonic.com/apps/match-...y/DMP-BD60.pdf

... But ... It still may be your Receiver, even with a firmware Update. Your Marantz may not have the hardware processing power to swiftly convert this from a Digital to Analogue signal. Or if it's converted in the panny player the Marantz can not keep up with this signal.
This would be my next guess. So I would call Marantz about it and talk to a new person. Maybe you can send your receiver in for a new chip? They've done that before with their receivers in the past when there was a hardware upgrade available. It just depends on the way they made your model to adapt or not. And if you talk to the right people.
... Or if all else fails. Purchase or borrow a different receiver to find this out. ... You could just live with PCM. The debate for which is better is to small VS not having signal at all, right?
ew

Wow. Great information. Thank you very much. I spoke with PS3 tech support and he could tell me what size of D/A Converter the PS3 had. All he said was the processor was big. He then just suggested using HDMI straight to my TV then using optical to my receiver. Not sure if I can still get DTS-MA with optical. Thought it needed enough bandwidth to pass the info. Could be wrong.

I sent an email to the guy I've been dealing with at Marantz with the information you passed off to me. I'm also going to call him on Monday and see what he's come up with.

Anyways thanks very much for you information.

Steve
andydumi's Avatar andydumi
01:05 PM Liked: 10
post #648 of 1011
12-12-2009 | Posts: 970
HDMI to TV and then optical to receiver will not get you DTS-MA. As you said, not enough bandwidth.

HDMI to receiver is the only way to do it.

Weird that it loses it only at ffwd/rew. I would guess its a receiver issue, as I have not heard of anything similar with any other brand of receiver and the PS3. But it is also possible it is an issue with that particular PS3.

Do you have another receiver or another PS3 you can borrow and test?
KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN
02:28 PM Liked: 45
post #649 of 1011
12-12-2009 | Posts: 2,897
Got a question,
When you do a PS3 to PS3 transfer via ethernet, do you loose the data on the old PS3????
04:27 PM Liked: 10
post #650 of 1011
12-12-2009 | Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

HDMI to TV and then optical to receiver will not get you DTS-MA. As you said, not enough bandwidth.

HDMI to receiver is the only way to do it.

Weird that it loses it only at ffwd/rew. I would guess its a receiver issue, as I have not heard of anything similar with any other brand of receiver and the PS3. But it is also possible it is an issue with that particular PS3.

Do you have another receiver or another PS3 you can borrow and test?

I have used two PS3 slims and tested. Both on bitstream, same issue. I haven't had the opportunity to use another receiver. My neight has an Onkyo 705 and Slim. I'm going to his to try it hopefully soon.

I've tested with a Panny BD60 and DID NOT have any issues with bitstream.

Steve
tingham's Avatar tingham
08:42 AM Liked: 18
post #651 of 1011
12-13-2009 | Posts: 2,673
Quote:

This is a good thought, but unfortunately it's not the case. There are lots of slim owners that are hooked up via their AVR's that don't have the issue, including myself. Just out of curiosity streaker76, have you tried a different hdmi input on your Marantz. They are all independent, and a particular port may have an issue?
rdclark's Avatar rdclark
09:24 AM Liked: 196
post #652 of 1011
12-13-2009 | Posts: 4,177
Quote:

Yes, but that conversion happens in the AVR after the signal is sent by the player. The player's D/A converters go entirely unused unless you are using one of the player's analog outputs. Even if you are sending LPCM and doing the decoding in the player, this happens entirely in the digital domain.

The AVR converts the audio to analog only when it's done with processing and sends it to the amplifier stage.
eddy_winds's Avatar eddy_winds
09:27 AM Liked: 10
post #653 of 1011
12-13-2009 | Posts: 4,747
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

When you do a PS3 to PS3 transfer via ethernet, do you loose the data on the old PS3????

rdclark's Avatar rdclark
09:30 AM Liked: 196
post #654 of 1011
12-13-2009 | Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

No

Although Sony is quick to point out that save-game data from certain protected games won't be transferred.

See the notes and comments on firmware 3.15 here.
08:35 PM Liked: 10
post #655 of 1011
12-13-2009 | Posts: 97
Quote:

This is a good thought, but unfortunately it's not the case. There are lots of slim owners that are hooked up via their AVR's that don't have the issue, including myself. Just out of curiosity streaker76, have you tried a different hdmi input on your Marantz. They are all independent, and a particular port may have an issue?

I tried different HDMI inputs and all did the same thing. Issues and issues.
Erik Westlund's Avatar Erik Westlund
11:46 AM Liked: 12
post #656 of 1011
12-15-2009 | Posts: 23
But of course! rdclark You are correct. .. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind when I sent that...
...I was thinking that the Marantz is compliant with HDMI, but it may not truly be for the latest 1.3a+ HDMI processing. That's what I was thinking with my latter comment and how this could mean that the weaker Marantz D/A processor stage is tripping up, perhaps.
p.s.
[ this is another reason why I don't like receivers. They look to have expansion with all those impressive series of inputs. But that is no sure-fire way to stay compatible with future technologies. That being said. I still buy to replace my receivers, every few years, like many of us. Sadly, it's only because it is usually cheaper to do this versus purchasing a separate preamp/processor with amp configuration. And then replace the pre/proc just as often as you would a receiver.]
[ I love separates. Does it show? ]
ew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Yes, but that conversion happens in the AVR after the signal is sent by the player. The player's D/A converters go entirely unused unless you are using one of the player's analog outputs. Even if you are sending LPCM and doing the decoding in the player, this happens entirely in the digital domain.

The AVR converts the audio to analog only when it's done with processing and sends it to the amplifier stage.

moodyman's Avatar moodyman
07:48 PM Liked: 10
post #657 of 1011
12-15-2009 | Posts: 413
I want to store Bluray flicks on my PC and use the media server capabilities of the SLIM to to watch them. I know this can be done but I can't find a definitive answer regarding the TrueHD/DTS-MA tracks..will they be preserved?? Will I be able to bitstream them out of the Slim to my receiver?? If anybody can link me some good info it would be much appreciated....
WhatHappend's Avatar WhatHappend
08:10 PM Liked: 10
post #658 of 1011
12-15-2009 | Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

I want to store Bluray flicks on my PC and use the media server capabilities of the SLIM to to watch them. I know this can be done but I can't find a definitive answer regarding the TrueHD/DTS-MA tracks..will they be preserved?? Will I be able to bitstream them out of the Slim to my receiver?? If anybody can link me some good info it would be much appreciated....

If you put the movies on a USB HDD (in the correct format), connected to the PS3, you will be able to bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA. SONY's media streaming software on the PS3 blocks HD audio streams and any DTS streams (there is a trick around the DTS issue).
dazz87's Avatar dazz87
05:37 PM Liked: 28
post #659 of 1011
12-18-2009 | Posts: 937
having an annoying issue with my slim after the latest firmware update. For some weird reason my controller are not syncing with the ps3. This is happening on both dualshock and sixaxis controllers The light on the controllers keeps on blinking like its trying to sync but it never does. I then will have to connect the controller to the usb plug and then unplug for it to work. Sometimes I will need to turn off the ps3 and then turn it back on in order for the controller to sync. I have no issue turning on the ps3 with both controllers but for some reason it will not sync afterward. Anyone else?
moodyman's Avatar moodyman
06:07 AM Liked: 10
post #660 of 1011
12-19-2009 | Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

having an annoying issue with my slim after the latest firmware update. For some weird reason my controller are not syncing with the ps3. This is happening on both dualshock and sixaxis controllers The light on the controllers keeps on blinking like its trying to sync but it never does. I then will have to connect the controller to the usb plug and then unplug for it to work. Sometimes I will need to turn off the ps3 and then turn it back on in order for the controller to sync. I have no issue turning on the ps3 with both controllers but for some reason it will not sync afterward. Anyone else?

yep..this was a known problem resulting from firmware upgrade 3.10. Installing 3.15 should fix it...
Tags: Playstation 3 160gb System

Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread