Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1011 Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK, I have a dumb (?).

Can a PS3 remote be "paired" w/more than one PS3 at the same time?

I don't believe so, but wish I could; because I have a BT remote I would rather use w/both PS3(s) than the sixaxis controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1011 Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Nope. It's a Bluetooth device.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #723 of 1011 Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Nope. It's a Bluetooth device.

This. Otherwise the remote would not know which to control at any given time. Ours has a huge range, and through walls, so there is no field of view like an IR remote, try it with one PS3 it will likely work from anywhere in the house.
post #724 of 1011 Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Its just like your BT phone--I can have the phone upstairs and it will connect in my car as Im starting it and leaving the house for a good 20 Yards
post #725 of 1011 Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

This. Otherwise the remote would not know which to control at any given time. Ours has a huge range, and through walls, so there is no field of view like an IR remote, try it with one PS3 it will likely work from anywhere in the house.

I can attest to that. When I was trying to pair my BT remote w/the PS3 slim in the FR it was turning on my old PS3 in the MBR.
post #726 of 1011 Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 AM

Just wanted to mention that I'm using PS3 Slim with a Sony 46W5100. The Bravia Link works well. I use a Harmony 720 (no IR adapter) and about the only thing I can't do with a single button is turn the PS3 off (some say you can get the Harmony to learn multiple key strokes as a single key, but I haven't had much success with that). To turn on the PS3, I just hit the Sync button and then select it. I needed to customize the 720 a bit, so all commands for the PS3 are issued using the TV IR codes.

Here's the sequence I use to switch to the PS3:
Set TV to AVR
Set AVR to BD
Mute to the TV
Wait 1 second
SyncMenu command to TV
Select command to TV
.... and the PS3 menu pops up.
post #727 of 1011 Old 01-13-2010, 12:54 PM

I just purchased a PS3 on Sunday and I am noticing white sparkles on black images. I have it connected to a SOny 52XBR5 and I have tried 2 different HDMI cables. I did search the post's for this and did not find any conclusive information. Any information anyone can give me would be great. Thank You
post #728 of 1011 Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flent View Post

I just purchased a PS3 on Sunday and I am noticing white sparkles on black images. I have it connected to a SOny 52XBR5 and I have tried 2 different HDMI cables. I did search the post's for this and did not find any conclusive information. Any information anyone can give me would be great. Thank You

elaborate more...do you see whites sparkles on dark images during movies or games??
post #729 of 1011 Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just checking to see how your PS3 is.

Maybe I missed something in your original post, but you said you bought it from "Hastings". I never heard of it but maybe its only a local shop. Anyway, you never said why you think you bought a "used" PS3 when you thought it was new.

There should have been a sticker covering the flap to open the box. And did you write down the serial number before you shipped it to Sony? That way when you get it back you can check to see if the replaced it or fixed it. Of course it will look familiar, all Slims look alike!

Anyway, did you try hooking up the PS3 to your TV with component cables?

Also, with your loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng paragraphs, I couldnt tell what you meant by setting the video input to component.

Not trying to pick on you, just trying to help....
post #730 of 1011 Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:

You know, I think I noticed this as well today after setting up my new slim. I believe it was due to the fact that I had a USB stick attached to the port transferring my data from the Fat PS3 and then I think it disappeared when I took it out. I'll check it again tonight and see if its there but I definately saw what you were talking about. (and.... no, it wasn't the funny stars flying around the XMB)

I run HDMI through my Yamaha AVR and then into my 1080P Samsung TV.
post #731 of 1011 Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman View Post

elaborate more...do you see whites sparkles on dark images during movies or games??

I have not tried any movies in the unit yet. I do see them sometimes during game play. They might be there on bright images but It would be hard to tell seeing that the sparkles are white. It is lets say 100 small dots all over the screen and they will flash on and off. They are randomly placed all over the screen and as small as say a pixel. It seems to only do it when the PS3 it outputting a image, for instance when the game switches from one screen to another during loading and the TV displays black because of no input image I do not see them, but when the PS3 is outputting a black image they are there. I also noticed that they seem to go away after a while of game play but I need to still confirm that.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thank You.
post #732 of 1011 Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I have not tried any movies in the unit yet. I do see them sometimes during game play. They might be there on bright images but It would be hard to tell seeing that the sparkles are white. It is lets say 100 small dots all over the screen and they will flash on and off. They are randomly placed all over the screen and as small as say a pixel. It seems to only do it when the PS3 it outputting a image, for instance when the game switches from one screen to another during loading and the TV displays black because of no input image I do not see them, but when the PS3 is outputting a black image they are there. I also noticed that they seem to go away after a while of game play but I need to still confirm that.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thank You.

I only ask because one of the PS3 theme settings has a sparkling background when you view the PS3 menu's. I thought maybe you were seeing this..if your seeing it on games then its obviously something else...
post #733 of 1011 Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No sparkles on black images, etc., here.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #734 of 1011 Old 01-15-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Most people attribute "sparkles" being caused by certain hdmi cables. What brand and length of hdmi cables do you have? Are you running the PS3's signal thru a A/V receiver?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #735 of 1011 Old 01-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Can you actually go into the PS3 settings and select audio outputs like the phat ps3? I saw the screen where it displayed all the optins like pcm,2.0, 5.1 etc but did not think they were "checkable" or "un-checkable".
post #736 of 1011 Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb7 View Post

Can you actually go into the PS3 settings and select audio outputs like the phat ps3? I saw the screen where it displayed all the optins like pcm,2.0, 5.1 etc but did not think they were "checkable" or "un-checkable".

Yes, you can.

post #737 of 1011 Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Who has/had a PS3 60GB, has gotten the Slim and hasn't looked back?

Thanks!
post #738 of 1011 Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Most people attribute "sparkles" being caused by certain hdmi cables. What brand and length of hdmi cables do you have? Are you running the PS3's signal thru a A/V receiver?

I am using a monster cable V800 series cable that is 8ft long. It is an older cable so I do not know if it would be causing the issue. I am also noticing now that I will loose the image at a random time and it will come back on. I normally use my AV receiver for switching but I have the PS3 plugged directly into my TV at the moment.
post #739 of 1011 Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Thanks!

I have a 60gb from launch and a slim. Sold an 80gb MGS for the slim.
post #740 of 1011 Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Me! Don't miss a thing. Best thing for me is the new warranty. Sure I miss the memory card slots every now and then, but hey that is what a 5$ usb hub/memory card adapter from monoprice is for. And quite franky, I do full HDD backups and wireless networking with the PC so any songs, digital photos I need, I don't have to use a memory card at all. I never used PS2 BC. I don't own an SACD. And the wireless connections is better.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #741 of 1011 Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My slim seems to work fine, except for the "cracking" noises it makes. I bought it out of necessity, since my 60gb YLOD'd. I do miss my 60gb. It loaded blu's faster, and now I also can't play the few PS2 games that I have. I don't own any SACD's, but always thought about purchasing some since the 60gb has that feature. Maybe I'll get it fixed someday?

Quote:

I am using a monster cable V800 series cable that is 8ft long. It is an older cable so I do not know if it would be causing the issue. I am also noticing now that I will loose the image at a random time and it will come back on. I normally use my AV receiver for switching but I have the PS3 plugged directly into my TV at the moment.

Your cable length doesn't seem to be a problem. If I was you, I would get a cable from forum sponsors "Monoprice" or "Blue Jeans Cables". Many members are using these cables with no issues, and they aren't that expensive at all. Maybe try a "high speed" cable from one of them, and get the shortest length possible for your setup. The shorter the better..can you get away with a 6ft. cable? Are you running 1080P from the PS3? For ha-ha's try running 1080i, or 720p and see if the sparkles diminish some.

post #742 of 1011 Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:

I am using a 6ft Monoprice HDMI cable directly from the Slim to the TV, and I am having the same problem. I mostly notice it during transitions on all black screens, but it has worried me a bit. Once in a while I catch a brief glimpse in movies, but it has not been a major issue. I got mine as part of the Black Friday bundle from Wal-Mart.

I have noticed this issue with each new firmware update as well (3 so far).

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #743 of 1011 Old 01-17-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If the source is switching between 60/30/24hz and the ps3 is "keeping up", if you will, the picture is suppose to go away and come back as the switches are made. That is normal.

I have no unexpected drops in my picture with ps3 slim going to Denon 3808 out to a Samsung LED RPTV.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #744 of 1011 Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Me.
post #745 of 1011 Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 AM

I replaced my 40 GB PS3 w/a 120 GB "slim" but must confess that I still "look back" to my FAT PS3 when I use it to watch Blu-ray or stream Netflix video to my TV in the MBR.
post #746 of 1011 Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

I am using a 6ft Monoprice HDMI cable directly from the Slim to the TV, and I am having the same problem. I mostly notice it during transitions on all black screens, but it has worried me a bit. Once in a while I catch a brief glimpse in movies, but it has not been a major issue. I got mine as part of the Black Friday bundle from Wal-Mart.

I have noticed this issue with each new firmware update as well (3 so far).

Yup that is the perfect explanation for the problem. I might take mine back and exchange it to see if it is the playstation3.

As for the cutting out it will happen right in the middle of game play. Kinda frustrating during Call of duty online when your about to knife someone and the screen blanks out for 2 to 3 seconds.
post #747 of 1011 Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Thanks!

I just replaced my 60 gb PS3 with a new PS3 slim. My 60 gb unit worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years, but it always seemed a little 'loud' with a constant, high-pitched purring sound. I just assumed it was 'normal', and have enjoyed gaming and blurays for the past several years. However, a friend of mine got a PS3 slim for x-mas, and as I was helping him set it up, I noticed how much quiter it was than my 60 gb. You cant tell that its on (unless you're inserting/ejecting a disk). It doesn't have that high pitched noise, which is really nice when watching blu-ray movies.

So, I sold my 60gb on CL, bought a new PS3 slim, and so far so good. If it is as reliable as my 60gb unit, I'll be a very happy camper. Plus, I love the blue "HD audio" light on my Denon reciever since the PS3 can bitstream lossless audio. I know its purely cosmetic, but it cool nonetheless... :

Rec Room: Sony 70X850B/Yamaha A1010/Denon DBT1713/Definitive BP8, CLR2300, SM350/Martin Logan Dynamo1000
Living Room: Samsung 75HU8550/Yamaha A730/Definitive BP8040, BP6, SC4000 Mythos 3/PS3, Xbox 360
Office: Audioengine N22/Fiio D3 DAC/Athena P5/Polk PSW10
Car: Acura ELS DVD-audio/Focal
post #748 of 1011 Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM

I have read extensively through this thread and have seen several posts that mention that the PS3 is not great at upconverting SD DVD content. Could anyone provide some additional commentary on this topic?

I have just purchased a new Panny 58" V10 and want to get a blue-ray player for predominantly movie watching. I have a fairly good size SD DVD collection and plan on renting/buying blue-ray going forward however do want to maximize my existing SD DVDs.

Thank you in advance for any additional info.

Best - Andrew
post #749 of 1011 Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNYC View Post

I have read extensively through this thread and have seen several posts that mention that the PS3 is not great at upconverting SD DVD content. Could anyone provide some additional commentary on this topic?

The consensus is that the PS3 is a very able and decent up-converter (Blows away any of the cheap Bluray player available). Some feel it is not the absolute best you can buy and if you want to spend 2x more, you can get a Oppo Bluray player.
post #750 of 1011 Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

PS3 Slim does great job on sd-dvd. Plus you can set it so your display does the upconverting. You might be surprised with a great display like yours it might be the best piece of hardware to do the work in terms of upconverting your sd-dvd's.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page