Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1011 Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the explanation, this is what I was hoping the difference would be. So basically instead of the front of my receiver saying PCM or Bitstream, I would see it showing Dolby TRU HD or DTS HD, etc. but the sound would be the same.

My perpetual home theater build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1011 Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Thanks for the explanation, this is what I was hoping the difference would be. So basically instead of the front of my receiver saying PCM or Bitstream, I would see it showing Dolby TRU HD or DTS HD, etc. but the sound would be the same.

Yes you will see Dolby TRUHD and DTS HD on your receiver when using Bitstream. For me the sound is better via my receiver using Bitstream.
post #123 of 1011 Old 08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

What about people who's preamp can't apply post-proccessing to anything but bitstreamed audio? (or am I confused?)

EDIT: I think I have that backwards. Mabye I'm thinking of preamps that can't apply proccessing WITH bitstreamed audio.

All post processing happens after decoding and conversion to PCM, so if the receiver is receiving PCM already it simply bypass any decoding and conversions schemes and the rest is the same as if it would receive lossy or lossless codecs.

If a receiver has a limitation of sampling rate processing because of of the lack processing power, say 96khz or higher, this would be true for both PCM and lossless, and it would down sample to 48khz before proceeding to post processing. Some might disable things like Audessey in order to proceed,but in most cases I'm aware, a typical receiver will treat both signal the same once it is PCM.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #124 of 1011 Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Yes, but I was wondering about this statement on the previous post of yours:
I don't see why any player would switch to the "core" to mix. They can (and should) just decode the lossless stream to PCM and the secondary track, and mix it.

Well some players like my Pana BD30 won't decode the lossless codecs. So in order to have the 2 mixed, it will use the core[DTS] and the companion[DD]for this task. I don't see why this would be an issue even for players that do decode the lossless tracks internally.

The Hun
post #125 of 1011 Old 08-31-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metta Man View Post

I'm new to the PS3 family (24 hours!). I have the PS3 connected to my HDTV via HDMI. I'm using an optical cable for the sound to a 5.1 surround set-up. The PS3 puts out Dolby Digital audio on everything except Blu-ray where I get a Pro-Logic audio signal only. I've tried changing the audio output settings on the PS3 and no luck. Guidance greatly appreciated for this novice. Thanks!!

Note: My Denon AVR is 10 years old. It doesn't have HDMI connections.

I'm not familiar with the PS3's menus, but it should have a way to change the output for the digital output by each codecs. You get "pro logic" because your receiver only receives a 2 ch signal because the console down converts the lossless tracks and outputs it as 2 ch PCM.
also, does you Denon able to decode DTS?

The Hun
post #126 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone notice that since today's update, you can't play music in the background anymore?

Pressing the PS button now asks you to cancel playback...
post #127 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm currently a very happy Panny BD30 owner (hooked up to a Sammy 6187sax 61" LED + Onkyo 605) but have been doing my homework for my second/bedroom player (where I have a Sammy LN32A450). Wasn't sure on which model PS3 I wanted but knew it'd be a PS3 vs a stand alone player (Madden 10, SF4, NFS Shift, etc, just look too good )...but after reading now from several sources that the new slim version has Blu Ray movie PQ at least on par with the older versions (some say slightly improved) I guess my decision is now made (that was a biggie for me, will play some games, but mostly disc watching) on that as well. PS3 Slim! Off to get mine today (10% BB coupons in hand).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7
post #128 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR View Post

Anyone notice that since today's update, you can't play music in the background anymore?

Pressing the PS button now asks you to cancel playback...

That is only a problem if in the audio settings you have under music playback some frequency selected other than standard 48 khz.

See here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion47 View Post

It's called [Output Frequency]. my bad

Set it to 48kHz

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #129 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

Off to get mine today (10% BB coupons in hand).

Would those coupons be available to the masses? And from where?
post #130 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post

Would those coupons be available to the masses? And from where?

There are plenty of coupons and such on the deals sites (fatwallet, slickdeals, etc) to get a pretty nice discount on them if you dont have the BB coupon.
post #131 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

There are plenty of coupons and such on the deals sites (fatwallet, slickdeals, etc) to get a pretty nice discount on them if you dont have the BB coupon.

I'll look deeper. The ones I came across all said Excludes video game hardware in the fine print.
post #132 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

BTW, not only can the PS3 Slim bitstream DTS-MA and TrueHD but it can also play secondary audio when set to do so (unlike any standalone player). I popped in Death Race to test bitstreaming on the the PS3 Slim and for kicks I activated U Control and to my surprise when the picture in picture content kicked in low and behold the PS3 automatically switched to PCM, when the video finished it automatically switched back to DTS-MA. The PS3 deals with these features more seamlessly than any other player; in fact the only player that comes close is the Oppo because at least you can switch secondary audio on and off in the Oppo on the fly without stopping the disc and going into the setup menu.

this is a massive distinction and should be applauded by ps3 owners. This was a question of mine, but I didn't even bother bringing it up as I anticipated that it wouldn't be a reality.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #133 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, call me crazy, but after a bit of an extensive internet search, I haven't found a place selling it for a dime under $299.

I discovered the Dell "deal", but it appears it either ended or is a real PITA to secure. Plus, it looks like many will be waiting till the 18th to get theirs. No thanks, I just sold my 80gig with 3 old games for $350 and would like a new one sooner than later.

If anyone knows of a better price, I'd appreciate a PM.

thanks,
James

post #134 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

BTW, call me crazy, but after a bit of an extensive internet search, I haven't found a place selling it for a dime under $299.

I discovered the Dell "deal", but it appears it either ended or is a real PITA to secure. Plus, it looks like many will be waiting till the 18th to get theirs. No thanks, I just sold my 80gig with 3 old games for $350 and would like a new one sooner than later.

thanks,
James

Ditto. We must have been down the same roads looking.
post #135 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Is it actually confirmed that *only* the Slim will bitstream the advanced HD audio codecs? Firmware 3.0 doesn't enable it for the fatter, older models? I'm wondering if this, combined with the BraviaLink, indicates that the HDMI capabilities of the Slim are physically superior than they are in the older unit...
post #136 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

have you gone to:
http://www.**************/forums/hot-deals/ and
http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

and searched for PS3? There's Dell, Sears, Newegg, and probably a handful of others.

Deal searching can come with a possible wait and a little work. If you don't want that, just order from Amazon for $299 and call it a day.
post #137 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:

thanks,
James

What's happening on the 18th?
post #138 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just sold my 80gig with 3 old games for $350 and would like a new one sooner than later.

Wish I was having the same luck...I've had my PS3 on craigslist before the slim even came out, maybe a week and a half, first $299, then $275, now $250 and not even a bite. Including a network cable, Sony component cables and a few games too, plus everything that came in the box.
post #139 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't have time to read this whole thread, but are there any downsides to the slim, other than the slightly slower load times (which I'v read about)? If not, I will upgrade for the (likely imaginary) uptick in audio from letting my preamp handle the decoding.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #140 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM

My PS3 SLIM seems to be BACKWARDS.

When I set it to BITSTREAM Blu-ray audio my receiver kicks in to STRAIGHT MODE. And thus all DSP processing is OFF. It normally does this when it receives a Linear PCM MCH signal. It's just acting as an amp at this point, with volume control.

When I set the PS3 to Linear PCM my stereo switches to normal mode and displays "TrueHD" in it's window.

???

Kevin "Q" Quattro
Lead Artist, Inhance Digital

post #141 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just talked to Gamestop about trading in my PS3 fat toward a slim, and I'll pull the trigger on that very soon barring hearing in this thread that there's any downside to the slim.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
post #142 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

Just talked to Gamestop about trading in my PS3 fat toward a slim, and I'll pull the trigger on that very soon barring hearing in this thread that there's any downside to the slim.

What did they say the difference would be between the two?

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #143 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post

Yes you will see Dolby TRUHD and DTS HD on your receiver when using Bitstream. For me the sound is better via my receiver using Bitstream.

skip61,
I would love to know what receiver/pre-amp you have that sounds better bit streaming...
Best,
Chris
post #144 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I believe Gamestop gives you $150 credit towards a slim if you trade in any old model PS3.

My perpetual home theater build -
post #145 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Picked up a slim this morning and tested about 11 discs so far. Here are a few things I have noticed so far:

Pros-
1. Very quiet - on par with my original launch 60GB
2. Load times seem to be the same as my launch 60GB - very fast
3. Slim switches between bitstream and LPCM output seamlessly

Cons-
1. Slim does not bitstream Multi-CH 192khz audio. I have the Akira disc that has a TrueHD 192khz track that can't be bitstreamed through the Slim. The Slim will however decode the track and send it to my receiver at the full 192khz. I have owned many other stand-alones that could bitstream this track so I know it's not my receiver. Maybe it's a setting on the Slim that I'm missing.

Overall I am very pleased with the Slim. I was drawn to stand-alone units because of their bitstream ability but was disappointed by their Blu-ray playback issues. The PS3 is and always has been very reliable when it comes to disc playback.
post #146 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Some claim heat of the room is a factor. I can tell you as an owner of an original 60g and also an 80g and from my personal experience I believe that isn't completely true or the main reason why some units are louder than others.

I bought my 60g in Dec of 06. It was dead silent. It stayed that way all through the year I had it, then the BD drive died. I sent it into SOny and at the same time bought an 80g. The 80g was and is still as silent as day 1 and as silent as the 60g was, yes was. When I got the 60g back from Sony, I guess it was a refurb, so I didn't get my original back. The refurb is loud as hell in comparison to how the 60g was and the 80g is. It doesn't matter how warm or cool the rooms are where I have either unit, as they perform and sound the same as far as fan speed etc. The 60g runs hot and is loud.

Maybe the quiet ones are the ones not functioning properly and actually SHOULD be loud to cool the units properly (by kicking the fan speed up when the unit is getting hot.) This could be why the BD drive died... excessive heat failure.
post #147 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

That is only a problem if in the audio settings you have under music playback some frequency selected other than standard 48 khz.

See here...

Weird

Never had that problem with my old PS3 20GB version..

I'll try that out, thanks!
post #148 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

skip61,
I would love to know what receiver/pre-amp you have that sounds better bit streaming...
Best,
Chris

i have the Pioneer Elite VSX-91THX with Paradigm's Millenia 300 for fronts,CC-190, Mordaunt-Short Carnival 3 for surrounds and a subwoofer Paradigm PDR-8
post #149 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post

What's happening on the 18th?

thats how long some are appearing to have to wait for their ps3 if they ordered through Dell.

James

post #150 of 1011 Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Wish I was having the same luck...I've had my PS3 on craigslist before the slim even came out, maybe a week and a half, first $299, then $275, now $250 and not even a bite. Including a network cable, Sony component cables and a few games too, plus everything that came in the box.

yeah, but I dumped in a few older games I don't play anymore.

Still good for me though, I can get a new one with a dual shock AND a new game.

good luck...it only takes one buyer.

James

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page