post #541 of 1244 Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

I can confirm the player powers off at 30 minutes with the APO option enabled in the player and the download never completes.

Turn off the option in the setup menu and voila - It all works perfectly.

Very, very dangerous as it could brick the player if it happens after the download and while writing the new firmware to the active side.

ah ok bbar, I dont use the auto power off function. maybe in that case best left off !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1244 Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jep, I tried this as you proposed but Denon GUI reported an similiar network error as well.

Regards,

CTO
post #543 of 1244 Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Azz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTOofhell View Post

Jep, I tried this as you proposed but Denon GUI reported an similiar network error as well.

Regards,

CTO

A few of us had a problem where the 4010 wouldnt find proper settings.
I'm not sure as to how you've connected your 4010 to the net, though if possible plug it straight into your router/internet connection.

Then make sure the 4010 is all connected to your network then do a full power down - unplug it for 15 seconds to make sure.
Fire it back up and IP and all other configuration settings should then be set.
Check for applicable update.
post #544 of 1244 Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

ah ok bbar, I dont use the auto power off function. maybe in that case best left off !

Agree, and I have it off now also. Good option if one forgets to power unit off after use but never realised it would power itself off during update process.

Was only after 5 tries that I decided to reset to factory settings before update and whilst taking down some settings noticed I had the APO option on. Totally forgot about the option and that I had set it.
post #545 of 1244 Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Need some help here. We put together a very expensive (for us) HT 2 yrs ago, consisting of the Denon AVP & POA (HT) & 5308 (bedroom) bought the Focal Electra BE speakers and a Velodyne 1812 Signature.

We got the BD-30 Panasonic I think as a temporary bluray fix until we found a nice universal player and were hoping to eventually find a HDDVD, Bluray, DVDA, SACD player from denon with the denon link.

We do not own any SACD or DVDA except for SACD Pink Floyd DSOTM but had been thinking of starting to collect them to listen to high end music. We are very much into bluray movies and watch almost every bluray release that interests us in the slightest.

We have the Toshiba HDDVD that has the high end Reon upconvert for standard DVD movies and we use that for upconversion.

What I really want to know is should I get this player and why?

The main concern for me is that reports are that it is SLOW and this is an annoyance for us with the BD-30 so slow to start up and get to the movie.

Is SACD and DVDA going to die? if so then it would be a waste to start a collection.

How much better do Blurays and normal CDs sound when using the Denon Link, is it really worth $1600 more price tag compared to say LG BD590?

I've done a ton of reading in the forums and it just seems that no bluray player is right for anyone it depends on what you want in features, we have netflix but I refuse to watch low quality streams. I am unsure how much we would use Pandora or Netflix but having those options would be nice.

I'm between the LG BD590, Oppo-83, and this 4010 right now, the 4010 because of all my Denon equipment and denon link but it is lacking features, no streaming and SLOW (from what I read)

Wife and I keep discussing it and just can't come to a decision and need guidance, we spent a ton of money (for us) on this HT and have yet to really enjoy high end sound quality other than playing the PF DSOTM in the PS3 through HDMI cable, which does sound very nice.

Is the 4010 really that high end with using the Denon Link and other Denon equipment that I would regret using LG BD590 or Oppo-83?

Please help and thank you in advance.
post #546 of 1244 Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM

I too have BD-30 before I got my Denon 4010. I do have 5308 (AVC-A1HD in this part of the world).

The picture quality and sound quality of the 4010 compared to BD-30 is like day and night. I've also compared the sound of the Pioneer 07FD (LX71) and 4010 at my home, no comparison as well (4010 is more dynamic, more engulfing surround). 07FD sounds flat, and BD-30 is lacking just about everything in sound.

I do not listen to SACD, it is a format that is going to fade away, so no need to start collecting SACDs and DVDAs. There are some bluray audio discs and they sound far better than either format (24/192). In fact, Denon gave me a bluray sampler when I bought my 4010, and it has some pretty good bluray audio tracks on there.

As for player slowness, yes, the operation is rather slow (ie: pressing Setup button takes a few secs before you get to the setup screen). But power on can be fast if you set it to quick power up. It'll power up in 5 secs but will consume more power when placed in standby.

Denon Link 4 definitely rocks, and will make everything sound better.

My other bluray/media player is the HDI Dune Prime 3.0 player. This is a cheap US$400 BD/media player. To my surprise, the sound is not far behind the 4010. It is better than BD-30 or 07FD. But the firmware needs some work, it is not bug free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

Need some help here. We put together a very expensive (for us) HT 2 yrs ago, consisting of the Denon AVP & POA (HT) & 5308 (bedroom) bought the Focal Electra BE speakers and a Velodyne 1812 Signature.

We got the BD-30 Panasonic I think as a temporary bluray fix until we found a nice universal player and were hoping to eventually find a HDDVD, Bluray, DVDA, SACD player from denon with the denon link.

We do not own any SACD or DVDA except for SACD Pink Floyd DSOTM but had been thinking of starting to collect them to listen to high end music. We are very much into bluray movies and watch almost every bluray release that interests us in the slightest.

post #547 of 1244 Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 AM
PLA

Liked: 11
Quote:

We have the Toshiba HDDVD that has the high end Reon upconvert for standard DVD movies and we use that for upconversion.

The main concern for me is that reports are that it is SLOW and this is an annoyance for us with the BD-30 so slow to start up and get to the movie.

Is SACD and DVDA going to die? if so then it would be a waste to start a collection.

How much better do Blurays and normal CDs sound when using the Denon Link, is it really worth $1600 more price tag compared to say LG BD590?

I've done a ton of reading in the forums and it just seems that no bluray player is right for anyone it depends on what you want in features, we have netflix but I refuse to watch low quality streams. I am unsure how much we would use Pandora or Netflix but having those options would be nice.

I'm between the LG BD590, Oppo-83, and this 4010 right now, the 4010 because of all my Denon equipment and denon link but it is lacking features, no streaming and SLOW (from what I read)

Wife and I keep discussing it and just can't come to a decision and need guidance, we spent a ton of money (for us) on this HT and have yet to really enjoy high end sound quality other than playing the PF DSOTM in the PS3 through HDMI cable, which does sound very nice.

Is the 4010 really that high end with using the Denon Link and other Denon equipment that I would regret using LG BD590 or Oppo-83?

If load time is "the" criterion, go with the PS3. The ability to do firmware updates with an ethernet connection is major, I owned the Denon 2500, it lacked this feature. Music selection for SACD format is good, DVD-A never really caught on. Music selection for blu ray audio only is not great so far. No clear indication whether older albums will simply get re-mastered or not. Matters to me, I have albums that I listen to a lot, get used to specific order of the individual tracks, get irritated when new version does not match. Also support enthusiasm for Denon Link, should matter where you have taken the care and have bought expensive equipment for your HT. Good luck with your decision making.
post #548 of 1244 Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:

For CD playback I suggest you to use a dedicated player connected analogue, if you want high end. The Denon is well received for DL but in my opinion analogue has no match. Maybe the users of 4010 can give some feedback for the analogue 2 channel output stage.
post #549 of 1244 Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCornika View Post

For CD playback I suggest you to use a dedicated player connected analogue, if you want high end. The Denon is well received for DL but in my opinion analogue has no match. Maybe the users of 4010 can give some feedback for the analogue 2 channel output stage.

It all boils down to where the better digital to analog conversion resides (factoring in the entire implementation, not just the DAC chipset being used) - in the source component, a standalone DAC, or the receiver / processor.

No disrespect intended, but statements like "analogue has no match" are rubbish in this context - you're starting with a digital source that has to be converted to analog at some stage. Whether that conversion happens before it leaves the player or after it leaves the player is a lot less important than selecting the best digital to analog conversion you have available in your system. Once you convert the signal to analog, you want to manipulate it as little as possible (so avoiding extra analog to digital conversions to use digital processing in a receiver or processor makes sense). Having the receiver or processor do the D->A conversion has the potentially huge benefit of taking advantage of FAR better speaker configuration (no player I'm aware of has speaker configuration anywhere near as good as even a mid range receiver) and the ability to use things like Audyssey room correction if your room needs it (only a very small percentage of people have a room with proper treatment) - this is not a trivial consideration.

If using a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, one is going to have to purchase a very expensive standalone player to match or exceed the results of a DL connection between the 4010 and the AVP.
post #550 of 1244 Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
PLA

Quote:

At the risk of making you choice more difficult, this review just got posted to-day:http://www.canadahifi.com/Cambridge_...0BD_review.php
post #551 of 1244 Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

It all boils down to where the better digital to analog conversion resides (factoring in the entire implementation, not just the DAC chipset being used) - in the source component, a standalone DAC, or the receiver / processor.

No disrespect intended, but statements like "analogue has no match" are rubbish in this context - you're starting with a digital source that has to be converted to analog at some stage. Whether that conversion happens before it leaves the player or after it leaves the player is a lot less important than selecting the best digital to analog conversion you have available in your system. Once you convert the signal to analog, you want to manipulate it as little as possible (so avoiding extra analog to digital conversions to use digital processing in a receiver or processor makes sense). Having the receiver or processor do the D->A conversion has the potentially huge benefit of taking advantage of FAR better speaker configuration (no player I'm aware of has speaker configuration anywhere near as good as even a mid range receiver) and the ability to use things like Audyssey room correction if your room needs it (only a very small percentage of people have a room with proper treatment) - this is not a trivial consideration.

If using a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, one is going to have to purchase a very expensive standalone player to match or exceed the results of a DL connection between the 4010 and the AVP.

I'm using Anthem D2V like pre/pro, I don't know if you agree, but the analogue stage is enough well designed, comparable with Denon AVP01. They are a couple of reviews and comparisons between the two units and a lot of peoples agreed they are in the same league, maybe Anthem a small advantage with ARC (before I have used a Marantz with Audyssey).
Like players I have a Denon DVD 3930CI, a Pionner Elite BDP-50 and Rotel RCD-1072. I have tried Denon analogue and HDMI, Pionner only digital and the Rotel both digital and analogue, and in my system the Rotel connected analogue was superior in sound vs the two others. I use the same speakers like pentium (BE 1037). For CD I prefer to use AnalogDSP that means analogue with ARC and sub.
Sure, each of us has his tastes and his proper experience. The numbers are numbers, but how you implements those numbers is a big difference (Lexus vs Mercedes AMG).
Thanks.
post #552 of 1244 Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I'm using Anthem D2V like pre/pro, I don't know if you agree, but the analogue stage is enough well designed, comparable with Denon AVP01.

The problem as gsr has noted Mike is the phrasing "analogue has no match" implies a straight through multi analog in direct to volume control ;rather than a digital hdmi in with its subsequent bass management ;audessey;arc . If your happy with the anthems additional a/d d/a conversions to apply arc/bm well and good but the distinction should be made between a pure analog path and one where the analog signal gets all sorts of noise /emi and rf as it passes through a digital device ;not to mention a possibly inferior digital volume control

I for one would rather the denons dual differential 24/192 dacs be doing the analog conversion than anywhere else
post #553 of 1244 Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 AM

Thanks Azz,

I did it like you described it, just connecting the Denon straight to the router and it worked perfectly. I'll try later to use a second router with my WLAN to get the Denon via 2nd router wireless connected to the web. I want to avoid carrying the denon around for updates, however, in near future I want to find out what BD live is providing (if there is any benefitial stuff..)

Thank and ,many regards

CTO
post #554 of 1244 Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Not sure if it affects the US owners but German owners of the 4010 and me personally (Singapore set) have had issues upgrading our firmware of 4/27.

It apparently downloaded the firmware before restarting itself to start the update process but it would fail everytime it reached the NC Firm stage (stage 2 of 4).

Subsequently, it would always fail there.

Recycling power would allow the 4010 to power itself back on but I don't know if there's any permanent damage..
post #555 of 1244 Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Not sure if it affects the US owners but German owners of the 4010 and me personally (Singapore set) have had issues upgrading our firmware of 4/27.

It apparently downloaded the firmware before restarting itself to start the update process but it would fail everytime it reached the NC Firm stage (stage 2 of 4).

Recycling power would allow the 4010 to power itself back on but I don't know if there's any permanent damage..

Interesting as I have a Singapore model and it loaded ok ( well on the 7th try after I figured out I had Auto Power Off set!!)
post #556 of 1244 Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I too am experiencing this issue,Avatar would not play on my 4010 & on screen message advised firmware update required,tried the disc in my old ps3 that has not had firmware update for at least six months & the disc played no problem
post #557 of 1244 Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Friends, a question:

Making only the last firmware update the player (4010) is completely up to date?

Greetings
post #558 of 1244 Old 05-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josilva View Post

Friends, a question:

Making only the last firmware update the player (4010) is completely up to date?

Greetings

Yes, they are cumulative.
post #559 of 1244 Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason shep View Post

I too am experiencing this issue,Avatar would not play on my 4010 & on screen message advised firmware update required,tried the disc in my old ps3 that has not had firmware update for at least six months & the disc played no problem

Plays perfectly after the firmware update
post #560 of 1244 Old 05-04-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:

Yes, they are cumulative.

bbar, thanks.
post #561 of 1244 Old 05-05-2010, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My Auto Power Off has been off. Am gonna try again tonight..

bbar, are you on Singtel ADSL or Starhub? Wonder if the proxy server might have cached a dodgy copy of the firmware..
post #562 of 1244 Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:

My Auto Power Off has been off. Am gonna try again tonight..

bbar, are you on Singtel ADSL or Starhub? Wonder if the proxy server might have cached a dodgy copy of the firmware..

Neither. Imported to Australia and am on ADSL here. Have updated twice since I got player in February.

If you have not already then would do a re-initialize and hard reset if there is such a thing on this player. Don't have manual with me now. Good luck !
post #563 of 1244 Old 05-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Friends,

New Firmware 4010. What is the purpose?

Greetings
post #564 of 1244 Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josilva View Post

Friends,

New Firmware 4010. What is the purpose?

Greetings

Not sure but it downloaded in 1 minute so could not have been substantial.
post #565 of 1244 Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

SACD: It all depends on what type of music you listen to. If it is classical then SACD is worth it, otherwise I would not bother.

The Oppo-83 is a universal player and can play all formats through HDMI which is a digital connection like the Denon link. The only advantage of Denon Link is less jitter and if you are using DL4 a master clock solution for Blu-ray only. Now whether you can hear the improvement with less jitter and whether it is worth $1500 more only you can decide. I would not buy LG ever! The Oppo is far superior to the panny (I still have the Panny in my bedroom) and it is very fast.
post #566 of 1244 Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

as a headsup a quick short little 4 min update there waiting for you fellow 4010 owners

post #567 of 1244 Old 05-23-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Not sure but it downloaded in 1 minute so could not have been substantial.

(1) improve the operation of the firmware update.
(2) when connected to a TV for improved behavior DENON LINK 4th.

http://www.denon.jp/update/dbp4010ud/index.html
post #568 of 1244 Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrondB View Post

(1) improve the operation of the firmware update.
(2) when connected to a TV for improved behavior DENON LINK 4th.

http://www.denon.jp/update/dbp4010ud/index.html

denon link 4th seems to be working fine. one interesting thing I did find is while watching tv I hit the eject button on the dormant 4010 to take a disc out of there. it automatically switched to the dvd input on my denon avp. which was interesting ! hehe. I dont think I imagined it, but looks like cec control at work and it works ! hehe.

when bored one day I'll repeat to confirm

post #569 of 1244 Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Azz

Al,
Can you check something for me please?
Pop in a SACD and have your TV on to show the track title and time etc.

Start the disc. After a bit the screen will dim (it may be a function i have setup) to save burn in.

At the completion of the first track the second will start playing - does the on screen info change for you or does it still say Track 1?
post #570 of 1244 Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
PLA

Quote:

I am not sure if this will help. I have an accustic arts cd player and dac, connected via xlr to avp-a1. Playback via pure direct mode. I compared it to same cd in denon 4010 in direct mode for playback. The accustic arts version is better but not dramatically so. I do not claim to have "golden ears" and it is not exactly apples to apples comparison. There is an audible difference but it comes at a cost.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page