post #931 of 1248 Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

As I don't have 2 copies of any one SACD title, I went to my library and got 2copies of a nice SACD, LSO Live! Mahler: Symphony No. 1. I washed them, put one in the Oppo and one in the Denon. I used used the std Audyssey curve (no DynEQ), which is how I'd normally listen to a good recording at close to reference level. DSD was sent to, and decoded in, the AVR in both cases, over HDMI of course.

I'm confused. If you send DSD from the player to the AVR, doesn't that bypass Audyssey and bass management??

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1248 Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I'm confused. If you send DSD from the player to the AVR, doesn't that bypass Audyssey and bass management??

Only if u set DSD direct in the AVR, given it has such a feature. As example, the 4311 has DSD direct and it goes direct to analog from DSD without Aud and BM as you say.

However if you do not set DSD direct then it will first decode DSD to PCM and apply Audyssey and BM before going to the DAC.
post #933 of 1248 Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:

^Good point. But the kd Lang disc I cited is a music BluRay. I listened to the details of her voice, the snare drum, the guitar, etc.

For film I specifically avoid loud special effects, action scenes and dialog-heavy portions and instead pick soundtrack passages that would highlight any added detail and realism such as:
1. acoustic musical interludes such as when Sherlock Holmes follows Irene through the street carnival/circus to the sounds of that wonderful tango. My technique is to focus on several instruments in turn as well as the soundfield overall.
2. scenes in which there is an effort by the film remixer to establish detailed delicate sound ambiance such as the scene in which Sherlock is early to arive and awaits his dinner companions in the restaurant, or several street scenes in the movie with the sound of horses, people, a crow, etc. Again I listen over and over, to specific sounds as well as the entire surround bubble.
3. For PotC, CotBP DVD I use scenes with musical passages such as the very opening scene, or the one when Capt Sparrow is sailing the dinghy up to the dock as it sinks.

Agree then it suggests little or no discernible difference for Blu-rays except possibly for those coded as PCM.

Edit: tested with music BD ( DTS-HDMA 96Hz ) with DL on and DL off as I toggled HDMI control in 4311 and that causes DL to disable/enable. Found a noticeable difference in the SQ between them. DL engaged sounded richer. Did not test against another BD player only against itself and IMO DL4 improves SQ for BD's also
post #934 of 1248 Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Liked: 10
Re: Disc Reading. I've had my Denon for about 9 months, So far the Denon 4010 has played all but 2 Lions gate Blu ray titles- Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. Luckily I have an OPPO 83 too, it played those discs ok. One quirk is of Denon, once in a great while, it will just open the drawer and spit out the disc instead of giving no disc message and keeping drawer closed. The Denon has better audio and incrementally better video on both upscaled SD DVD and Blu ray sources, The build quality of Denon is better needless to say. Both are excellent players for the money. I'm definitely still going to keep the OPPO 83, if it craps out I'd send for service, it has some issues with responding to the remote and the fast foward function but works ok most of the time. Also the Oppo plays DVD R's burned on a computer, the Denon does'nt, it only plays the ones made on my DVD recorder machine.
post #935 of 1248 Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberttv View Post

Re: Disc Reading. I've had my Denon for about 9 months, So far the Denon 4010 has played all but 2 Lions gate Blu ray titles- Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. Luckily I have an OPPO 83 too, it played those discs ok. One quirk is of Denon, once in a great while, it will just open the drawer and spit out the disc instead of giving no disc message and keeping drawer closed. The Denon has better audio and incrementally better video on both upscaled SD DVD and Blu ray sources, The build quality of Denon is better needless to say. Both are excellent players for the money. I'm definitely still going to keep the OPPO 83, if it craps out I'd send for service, it has some issues with responding to the remote and the fast foward function but works ok most of the time. Also the Oppo plays DVD R's burned on a computer, the Denon does'nt, it only plays the ones made on my DVD recorder machine.

Played Pulp Fiction 2 days ago and it played fine. Have not tried Jackie Brown yet.

Are you on latest firmware and I had SD card inserted
post #936 of 1248 Old 10-31-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I haven't tried PCM out of the Denon cuz I haven't figured out what button to push to do that. But the real question is, why bother? The bottom line is PQ/AQ, so would PCM/DL4 have any advantage, theoretical or more importantly discernible, over bitstreaming/DL4?

Two reasons:

One: some BRs are in LPCM uncompressed multichannel esp older ones.

Two: DTS Bomb
post #937 of 1248 Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Played Pulp Fiction 2 days ago and it played fine. Have not tried Jackie Brown yet.

Are you on latest firmware and I had SD card inserted

No SD card. Original firm ware. It's no problem for me to just play those 2 movies on the OPPO 83. I've read instances where these firmware updates take away some issues but introduce others...one guy here says his player stopped working after the "update".
post #938 of 1248 Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Two reasons:
One: some BRs are in LPCM uncompressed multichannel esp older ones.
Two: DTS Bomb

Thanks, but my question was specifically in the context of whether PCM w/DLink was ever better than bitstream/DLink irt SQ. Would you have an opinion on that?

Those are interesting points. As to one, I have a limited and modern BluRay collectiom and so haven't come across one of those. If I do, I'll have to figure out what button to push to get PCM out of the player. Could you help me out with how to switch that?

As to two, I thought that bomb was urban HT myth. I've always bitstreamed everything including DTS HD with no prob.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #939 of 1248 Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 PM

This post contains several inaccuracies. I have owned a Denon DBP-4010UDCI for 12 months and it DOES NOT contain a built web browser and the Denon iPhone App DOES NOT support the Denon DBP-4010UDCI. This unit is plagued with Blu-Ray compatibility problems and I find that it WILL NOT play 1 in 5 of the disks I rent or buy. Some disks will play through the previews and ads but refuse to load the feature menu. Others will not load at all displaying the No Disc error message after going through the Loading cycle. I update firmware every time Denon releases a fix and some problems are resolved. The last firmware update seems to have cured a disk loading error that results in a No SDC Card message. I would never have dropped $2K on this device had I known of these issues. It is posts like this and other ads that perpetuate the myth that the Denon DBP-4010UDCI is a first class player. Believe me is NOT.
post #940 of 1248 Old 11-20-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensonor View Post

I am now experiencing the NO DISC error. My 4010 will not play any blu-ray disc I put in. Just downloaded the most current firmware. No change. Of course mine is out of warranty. I can only hope this would be a covered repair as I have been reading quite a bit about this problem. This really upsets me....

I have owned a Denon DBP-4010UDCI for a year and this unit is plagued with Blu-Ray compatibility problems. I find that it WILL NOT play 1 in 5 (20%) of the disks I rent or buy. Some disks will play through the previews and ads but refuse to load the feature menu. Others will not load at all displaying the No Disc error message after going through the Loading cycle. I update firmware every time Denon releases a fix and some problems are resolved. The last firmware update seems to have cured a disk loading error that results in a No SDC Card message. I've noticed that Blu-Ray disks that are semi-transparent where you can read the label from the data side are the most problematic. Sometimes Initialize works and sometimes not. I have not tried compressed air into the optics bay. Since the unit is out of warranty all I get from Denon Tech Support is the address to ship it to a repair facility on my nickel. I would not have dropped $2K on this unit had I known of these problems.
post #941 of 1248 Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM

I've found since the last UK firmware release my 4010 is performing faultlessly, reading and playing all discs, including ones it wouldn't play before.
post #942 of 1248 Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridd2 View Post

I've found since the last UK firmware release my 4010 is performing faultlessly, reading and playing all discs, including ones it wouldn't play before.

Is there a difference in firmware versions US vs UK? I use the built in update feature and it only shows download and install times not version ID or region. How do I get the UK version in the US?
post #943 of 1248 Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe64 View Post

Is there a difference in firmware versions US vs UK? I use the built in update feature and it only shows download and install times not version ID or region. How do I get the UK version in the US?

Don't think u can. It connects to server and appears to be able to tell the region and updates accordingly.
post #944 of 1248 Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM

My Denon 4010 Machine is for US and like I said its played all but the 2 Lionsgate discs, no updates whatsoever. I dont rent blurays, only play ones from my own collection, I have about 50. You must have gotten a lemon player. This thing is the best PQ and SQ I've ever gotten. One thing you might like to try is go into the Bluray ratings menu and change it from "no limit" to a high age number, they go up into the hundreds (for me this allowed it to play a Canadian rated disc).
post #945 of 1248 Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Hello

I have a Denon BDP4010UDCI bluray player hooked up to Bel Canto Dac 1.5 ( stereo dac) This dac accepts up to 24 bit 192 sampling though both coaxial and optical inputs.

I have DTS HD- Master concerts that is supposed to be 96K 24 bit in 2 channel but my dac shows 48K displayed regardless of any audio settings.

I have checked to see BD Audio is selected using mode button...

Is the digital out ( optical / coaxial ) limited to 48 K on this unit?

please advise?
post #946 of 1248 Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Hello. I think this may be your problem: see the digital connections described on OM p15 and the limitations listed there. DTS HD is not output over SPDIF (and IIRC, that's so for all players).

BTW, what is your AVR or pre/pro? If you have a Denon, you might get exc results going straight to that with a DenonLink connection.

post #947 of 1248 Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Or get one of those HDMI which splits HDMI audio and video into HDMI video with audio sent to optical.

Set the BDP to decode all the codecs to PCM stereo over HDMI. This will give you up to 24/192 from the HD audio soundtracks.

Then feed the optical to the DAC.
post #948 of 1248 Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Or get one of those HDMI which splits HDMI audio and video into HDMI video with audio sent to optical.

Set the BDP to decode all the codecs to PCM stereo over HDMI. This will give you up to 24/192 from the HD audio soundtracks.

Then feed the optical to the DAC.

Can you explain this for me? What device splits hdmi so that audio is sent optical?

My system is Bel Canto Dac as preamp, McIntosh MC302 power amplifier and 1 pair of Martin Logan Spire speakers + Eizo computer monitor for picture
post #949 of 1248 Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post

Can you explain this for me? What device splits hdmi so that audio is sent optical?

My system is Bel Canto Dac as preamp, McIntosh MC302 power amplifier and 1 pair of Martin Logan Spire speakers + Eizo computer monitor for picture

I got an Atlona 1x2 HDMI splitter that takes the audio signal from the HDMI and outputs it to the optical output. Toslink is limited to stereo 24/192 or DD/DTS

Ps doesn't the bel canto have an analog input? You might be able to feed the analog from the 4010 to the stereo system anyway.

My DAC3.5 has an analog input that can be used for analog inputs or HT bypass
post #950 of 1248 Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I popped in the very cool Stanley Clark "East River Dr." RBCD last night and it sounded off. Dull, and the imaging and bass was off too. What's wrong? Hmmm...that's weird, only 1 blu light on the player. Well, earlier the player had frozen briefly and after I powered it off and on it worked fine but somehow DL was changed to OFF in the player. I just turned it back on and wow what a difference. So now as a follow up to the OppoBDP83SE I have done an A/B of DL vs no DL in the Denon player. Quite distinct SQ improvement.

post #951 of 1248 Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I've already posted on my lack of results here . I still can't figure out why DL4 does not improve BluRay (or DVD for that matter).

One thing bothers me as mentioned in another prior post:

"The AVRA100 (4311) does not have the DLink light light next to the HDMI light lit when playing a BR. It does light when playing DL3-a SACD, for ex. Does this mean I actually may not be getting DL for BR or is that normal behavior, perhaps indicative of there being only clock info being carried in the DL cable for BR? Note that I have the 3 (quite bright) blu lights on the player and am bitstreaming (the AVR shows DTS HD, for ex.). It sounds excellent but there is not the SQ difference evident that I noticed with RBCD and posted above."

post #952 of 1248 Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I've already posted on my lack of results here . I still can't figure out why DL4 does not improve BluRay (or DVD for that matter).

One thing bothers me as mentioned in another prior post:

"The AVRA100 (4311) does not have the DLink light light next to the HDMI light lit when playing a BR. It does light when playing DL3-a SACD, for ex. Does this mean I actually may not be getting DL for BR or is that normal behavior, perhaps indicative of there being only clock info being carried in the DL cable for BR? Note that I have the 3 (quite bright) blu lights on the player and am bitstreaming (the AVR shows DTS HD, for ex.). It sounds excellent but there is not the SQ difference evident that I noticed with RBCD and posted above."

As per post 933 above I found a difference but only did one test with a dts HD-MA 96Hz blu-ray music BD. I agree it should only have effect on PCM blu-rays or those decoded to pcm in player but felt there was a noticeable difference.

Will try again to ensure can still hear difference.

Re blu-lights , the third light should be on for Blu-rays
post #953 of 1248 Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe64 View Post

I have owned a Denon DBP-4010UDCI for a year and this unit is plagued with Blu-Ray compatibility problems. I find that it WILL NOT play 1 in 5 (20%) of the disks I rent or buy. Some disks will play through the previews and ads but refuse to load the feature menu. Others will not load at all displaying the No Disc error message after going through the Loading cycle. I update firmware every time Denon releases a fix and some problems are resolved. The last firmware update seems to have cured a disk loading error that results in a No SDC Card message. I've noticed that Blu-Ray disks that are semi-transparent where you can read the label from the data side are the most problematic. Sometimes Initialize works and sometimes not. I have not tried compressed air into the optics bay. Since the unit is out of warranty all I get from Denon Tech Support is the address to ship it to a repair facility on my nickel. I would not have dropped $2K on this unit had I known of these problems.

Hi Joe,

I was pretty upset as well. I contacted Denon and fully assumed they would want me to ship my unit to them. However, they told me that it sounded like a dirty lens and to get a blu-ray lens cleaner. I opted for a can of compressed air. Opened up the drawer and blew in some air and that seemed to have fixed all of my problems. Crazy, I know but it worked for me.

Chris
post #954 of 1248 Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As per post 933 above I found a difference but only did one test with a dts HD-MA 96Hz blu-ray music BD...Will try again to ensure can still hear difference....

I've managed to figure out a few more buttons on this thing. Now I can quickly and easily switch from bitstreaming to PCMI with 3 lights glowing (DL4 ON) but I hear/see no diff regardless. This is just like the Oppos I've had (non-DL obviously), and incidently like most folks report regardless of player.

Quote:

...I agree it should only have effect on PCM blu-rays or those decoded to pcm in player but felt there was a noticeable difference.

I'm not taking any stance on that. I hear a diff with 2 lights (DL3) and "DenonLink" is lit up in my AVR FPD. I'm questioning whether I'm indeed getting the actual DL4 signal/clocking, cuz it's not doing anything and with 3 lights on the player "DenonLink" does not light up in my AVR FPD.

post #955 of 1248 Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I've managed to figure out a few more buttons on this thing. Now I can quickly and easily switch from bitstreaming to PCMI with 3 lights glowing (DL4 ON) but I hear/see no diff regardless. This is just like the Oppos I've had (non-DL obviously), and incidently like most folks report regardless of player.

I'm not taking any stance on that. I hear a diff with 2 lights (DL3) and "DenonLink" is lit up in my AVR FPD. I'm questioning whether I'm indeed getting the actual DL4 signal/clocking, cuz it's not doing anything and with 3 lights on the player "DenonLink" does not light up in my AVR FPD.

Got ya, yes DL4 is active when 3 lights are on as there is no other visual indication that DL4 is on.

Re doing anything, as per my posts, one would think it's benefit is minimal on non-PCM data as the other formats would be converted to PCM then output so one can assume there is buffering hence the original 4010 clock signal would have minimal if any benefit. If the data is PCM then it should be converted directly to analogue hence the clock should provide added value.

DL3 is PCM data and clock over the DL link whilst DL4 is audio over HDMI and clock over the DL Link so should get the same result as DL3 for PCM I would have thought.

My perception of difference may be placebo effect as will say the differences, if any, are small.
post #956 of 1248 Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Got a new Firmware update for my 4010UD in the UK last night.
Fixes a lot of bugs. May be of use for owners experiencing discs not playing properly
post #957 of 1248 Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensonor View Post

Hi Joe,

I was pretty upset as well. I contacted Denon and fully assumed they would want me to ship my unit to them. However, they told me that it sounded like a dirty lens and to get a blu-ray lens cleaner. I opted for a can of compressed air. Opened up the drawer and blew in some air and that seemed to have fixed all of my problems. Crazy, I know but it worked for me.

Chris

How did you get to where the lens is? On the 4010 the transport is totally encased, you cant really get direct access to it by popping the cover like on denons DVD players. I suppose you could blow air with the drawer open and hope for the best. I have'nt had any freeze or playback problems other than 2 lionsgate mentioned. The player takes a pretty long time to power up and to load discs, other than that it's a keeper.
post #958 of 1248 Old 12-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberttv View Post

How did you get to where the lens is? On the 4010 the transport is totally encased, you cant really get direct access to it by popping the cover like on denons DVD players. I suppose you could blow air with the drawer open and hope for the best. I have'nt had any freeze or playback problems other than 2 lionsgate mentioned. The player takes a pretty long time to power up and to load discs, other than that it's a keeper.

I couldn't get to the lens. I opened it up and decided it would be a nightmare to take apart. So I closed her back up, opened up the drawer and stuck the straw from the air can in there and blasted away. Sounds crazy, I know, but I went from not being able to play any blu-ray disc I put in to no problems at all after I did that in a matter of seconds.

Chris
post #959 of 1248 Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got ya, yes DL4 is active when 3 lights are on as there is no other visual indication that DL4 is on.
Re doing anything, as per my posts, one would think it's benefit is minimal on non-PCM data as the other formats would be converted to PCM then output so one can assume there is buffering hence the original 4010 clock signal would have minimal if any benefit. If the data is PCM then it should be converted directly to analogue hence the clock should provide added value.
DL3 is PCM data and clock over the DL link whilst DL4 is audio over HDMI and clock over the DL Link so should get the same result as DL3 for PCM I would have thought.
My perception of difference may be placebo effect as will say the differences, if any, are small.

You are correct that very small differences are more subject to bias. With HDMI, the DL BluRay bitstream vs DL PCM vs no DL bitstream vs no DL PCM are all too close for me to call on my system. Same for DVDs. That to me says DL4 does very little over simply sending the signal from any decent player, like my Oppo, via HDMI to the Denon. But I'm hesitant to state that conclusively because of reasons besides the Denon hype and complex theory of jitter-freee transmission. One, the fact that my AVRA100 (4311) does NOT show any sign on the FPD it is receiving DL when DL4 is active and two the impressive improvements I get with DL3 music of all formats.

One clarification, AFAIK DSD via DL3 is bitstream not PCM. My AVR is showing DSD input.

post #960 of 1248 Old 12-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:

You are correct that very small differences are more subject to bias. With HDMI, the DL BluRay bitstream vs DL PCM vs no DL bitstream vs no DL PCM are all too close for me to call on my system. Same for DVDs. That to me says DL4 does very little over simply sending the signal from any decent player, like my Oppo, via HDMI to the Denon. But I'm hesitant to state that conclusively because of reasons besides the Denon hype and complex theory of jitter-freee transmission. One, the fact that my AVRA100 (4311) does NOT show any sign on the FPD it is receiving DL when DL4 is active and two the impressive improvements I get with DL3 music of all formats.

One clarification, AFAIK DSD via DL3 is bitstream not PCM. My AVR is showing DSD input.

Re DSD, yes bitstream and difference with DSD would probably be with DSD direct set on 4311/A100 as it would not go through DSD to PCM conversion in AVR prior to DAC processing.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page