Denon DBP-4010UDCI - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1244 Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have to wonder if it will fail again? A one year warranty would not have been useful. Funny, this is the first time in decades I have needed a repair on a component? I figured disc players are generally very reliable. A Marantz cd player I sold to a friend in 1984 jusrt failed. My first cd player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1244 Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158

^Well, IMO disc players being mechanical are subject to a higher fail rate than a simple SS component like an AVR.  I have had less expensive brand namef players fail in the past and I didn't generally consider them a long-term investment . 

However when buying such an expensive one (I paid about $1K used like new for mine), the 5 yr warranty was VERY reassuring particularly as I have a fine local Denon authorized repair shop 10 min away from my office.  BTW the tech told me it was quite dusty inside.  Though I keep a very clean house after years of use I guess I'm not surprised.He also said cleaning discs were useless.

OTOH if I was not convinced of the added SQ benefit of DenonLink jitter reduction for critical music listening, I'd have stuck with Oppo brand players.  Though a bit pricey ($500 or so) they are packed with useful features (the 103 has streaming music capabilities way beyond anything Denon makes-they can even decode DSD files streamed to it and the 103D ($600) has a Darbee built in and an HDMI input so you can run your cable box signal thru to apply Darbee.  And Oppo is highly reliable, their CS is top-notch and even out of warranty their repairs are quite reasonable (though I'd have to ship to CA).

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1173 of 1244 Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Heads UP!

I returned my A-100 which is essentially the same as the 4010 to Panurgy to repair with 3.5 years of warranty left. Apparenty there are no spares to repair these players now and I am waiting to hear what they are going to do to replace it. None of the current players support the old style DL or DL4 so cannot be used with my Denon AVP.mad.gif Also non support AL24 or analog out.mad.gifmad.gif

I am sure glad I just bought that OPPO BD-103.smile.gif
davidbarrickman likes this.
post #1174 of 1244 Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^Sorry to hear that. That is a tough situation especially as they made no provision for backwards compatability from DL4th to DLHD.

What is broken that they have no spare of? One of the boards? 

Just 3 weeks ago they replaced  the whole drawer/mechanical assembly/lenses on mine.

post #1175 of 1244 Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently I need an entire new transport and main board. The transport started to put a "grease" line around the center of every Blu Ray disc and the DL4 phase lock loop failed so no more DL4 and clock light. It will be very interesting to see what they offer me to replace it as I have no intention of accepting a refund and I still have an outstanding 3.5 year warranty. The current range of two players is totally useless and don't support a fraction of the features or technical performance of the A-100.

You would think that a good technician at Denon's main repair center, Panurgy, could repair the DL4 problem, the transport is another issue, but you got yours fixed.

Glad to hear you got yours back on the road.

Update

I see on the Denon web site that they have re-conditioned A100's and A1's for sale. I assume that I will get one of those with my warranty transferred to it.
post #1176 of 1244 Old 02-14-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post

I see on the Denon web site that they have re-conditioned A100's and A1's for sale. I assume that I will get one of those with my warranty transferred to it.

That does seem likely and would hopefully give you back full functionality. 

I really don't use the AL24 or DACs in the player so the unique value of the A100 to me is jitter reduction via DL.  Otherwise, I'd have an Oppo 103 and $ in my pocket. 

simon wagstaff2 likes this.

post #1177 of 1244 Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 AM

Oh dear, I have mine currently in the shop with no word about what is going on yet. the only reason I purchased this was for Denon link IV.
post #1178 of 1244 Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That does seem likely and would hopefully give you back full functionality. 

I really don't use the AL24 or DACs in the player so the unique value of the A100 to me is jitter reduction via DL.  Otherwise, I'd have an Oppo 103 and $ in my pocket.

To be honest I only use the A100 for DL3/4 too. smile.gif

The Oppo 103 is outstanding as is Oppo's customer support. The image quality is slightly better than the A100, there seems to be less noise in the low level detail. However the audio over DL3/4 is notably less "brittle" in the upper vocal registers than the 103; I can only assume that this is a result of clock jitter as both are bit streamed and my AVP is decoding both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post

Oh dear, I have mine currently in the shop with no word about what is going on yet. the only reason I purchased this was for Denon link IV.

Hopefully you will be lucky like SoundofMind.

I will post an update when I hear back from Denon corporate customer service in Mahwah NJ.
post #1179 of 1244 Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone had an issue with hooking this player with a DLP projector? I was not able to send 1080p resolution to the projector. The player will only except 1080i or below resolution.

I have this player connected to the Pioneer Elite SC-07 receiver and from the SC-07 to the projector. The projector will take 1080p resolution. When I tried it with a different bluray player, it had no issue of excepting 1080p resolution. Talk about strange.

Thanks for any advice!
post #1180 of 1244 Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Anyone had an issue with hooking this player with a DLP projector? I was not able to send 1080p resolution to the projector. The player will only except 1080i or below resolution.

I have this player connected to the Pioneer Elite SC-07 receiver and from the SC-07 to the projector. The projector will take 1080p resolution. When I tried it with a different bluray player, it had no issue of excepting 1080p resolution. Talk about strange.

Thanks for any advice!

I have owned the 4010 and A100 and both worked fine driving my DLP BenQ W10000 with either 1080P24 or 1080P60. If your projector spec says that it handles P60 and P24 then it sounds like an HDMI EDID issue. Try unplugging the HDMI cable, fully powering down the player and projector, reconnect cable, power on the player (wait till firmware loads) then the projector. I am assuming they are directly connected. If its via an A/V receiver do the same thing except the receiver first, then the projector, then the player. You must let each piece of equipment fully power up and load its firmware before turning on the next piece. If that doesn't fix things you may need to call Oppo....wink.gif

Good luck.
post #1181 of 1244 Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have owned the 4010 and A100 and both worked fine driving my DLP BenQ W10000 with either 1080P24 or 1080P60. If your projector spec says that it handles P60 and P24 then it sounds like an HDMI EDID issue. Try unplugging the HDMI cable, fully powering down the player and projector, reconnect cable, power on the player (wait till firmware loads) then the projector. I am assuming they are directly connected. If its via an A/V receiver do the same thing except the receiver first, then the projector, then the player. You must let each piece of equipment fully power up and load its firmware before turning on the next piece. If that doesn't fix things you may need to call Oppo.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice and I will try that today.

Also, did you mean to call Denon and not Oppo? I think you meant Denon.
post #1182 of 1244 Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your advice and I will try that today.

Also, did you mean to call Denon and not Oppo? I think you meant Denon.

Denon won't be of much help with this as they no longer seem to support the players. This was more a "tongue in cheek" comment as I love my new Oppo 103. biggrin.gif

You should however make sure that you have the latest firmware by doing a firmware upgrade check over the internet.
post #1183 of 1244 Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Denon won't be of much help with this as they no longer seem to support the players. This was more a "tongue in cheek" comment as I love my new Oppo 103. biggrin.gif

You should however make sure that you have the latest firmware by doing a firmware upgrade check over the internet.

The problem is that the HDMI cable is too long. It will not do a 1080p resolution because I am using too long HDMI cable. I guess I will have to except the 1080i resolution for now. The cable is about 35 feet long running from the receiver to the projector.

I had the 103 but it did not work out with my receiver and I bought the Pioneer Elite 62FD instead. The 103 was making loud popping static noise through my speakers.
post #1184 of 1244 Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Got a question about connecting the 2ch AUDIO OUT on the back of the 4010. Do I need to do any setup or configuration on page 25 of the Audio Setup? Or is the Audio Setup on page 25 for ONLY the 7.1ch AUDIO OUT?

By looking at the Manual, it looks like there is no setup or configuration for the 2ch AUDIO OUT analog connection. I am trying to do a 2 channel speaker setup with this 4010 player for CD and SACD playback. I would like to know what is the best configuration setup for using the 2ch AUDIO OUT connection on the back of the 4010.

I tried the Pure Direct button on the remote control and turned it ON where the LCD screen on the 4010 is turned OFF. But I could not hear much sound improvement while listening to a CD or SACD music. Maybe the Pure Direct button is a gimmicky feature.
post #1185 of 1244 Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The problem is that the HDMI cable is too long. It will not do a 1080p resolution because I am using too long HDMI cable. I guess I will have to except the 1080i resolution for now. The cable is about 35 feet long running from the receiver to the projector.

I had the 103 but it did not work out with my receiver and I bought the Pioneer Elite 62FD instead. The 103 was making loud popping static noise through my speakers.

Glad to hear that you resolved the issue. There are plenty of low cost active HDMI cables out there if you need to go a long distance. I have an active cable running 35 feet and have never had a problem with it.
Sorry to hear about your 103 problems. It is the BEST player that I have ever owned for responsiveness, ease of configuration, flexibility, range of features and video playback quality and comes in a close second for bit streamed audio.

Quote:

Got a question about connecting the 2ch AUDIO OUT on the back of the 4010. Do I need to do any setup or configuration on page 25 of the Audio Setup? Or is the Audio Setup on page 25 for ONLY the 7.1ch AUDIO OUT?

By looking at the Manual, it looks like there is no setup or configuration for the 2ch AUDIO OUT analog connection. I am trying to do a 2 channel speaker setup with this 4010 player for CD and SACD playback. I would like to know what is the best configuration setup for using the 2ch AUDIO OUT connection on the back of the 4010.

I tried the Pure Direct button on the remote control and turned it ON where the LCD screen on the 4010 is turned OFF. But I could not hear much sound improvement while listening to a CD or SACD music. Maybe the Pure Direct button is a gimmicky feature.

I am not aware of any special configurations of the stereo output, they are all for the 7.1 outputs. The pure direct button simply turns off ALL the video processing in order to reduce any possibility of video noise being induced into the audio signal. I can say that I don't seem to be able to hear a difference, but its a nice idea and maybe it is possible to measure the improvement, but as I said I cannot hear it.
post #1186 of 1244 Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

New (re-conditioned) A-100 is on its way with the old warranty transferred to it.
post #1187 of 1244 Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 AM

I am still waiting to hear back from my service station. Last I heard they had ordered a new laser mechanism and were verifying the warranty.
post #1188 of 1244 Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I need some HELP!

I just received my replacement, reconditioned A-100..built 4 years ago.eek.gif Mine was built only 18 months ago.

My DL4 still doesn't work but that doesn't mean it is my AVP yet. This old reconditioned A-100 may have the same issue as the one I returned, especially as they couldn't repair my old unit and confirm what was wrong with it. At least the drive doesn't leave a "grease" streak on blu ray discs anymore.

Is there anybody out there who is both kind enough and can test this A-100 for me using DL4. I live 15 minutes away from the Denon HQ in Mahwah NJ and I am prepared to travel up to 25 miles to test this player?

I am really desperate as I do not want to take my AVP to Panurgy only to find there is nothing wrong with it.
post #1189 of 1244 Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM

I just got mine back today. Dl4 worked fine when I took it in. Though they say they fixed it, an expensive part, I now don't seem to get dl4 or audio through hdmi. I am not messing with it anymore tonight. May look at it tomorrow and prepared to take it back.
post #1190 of 1244 Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got mine back today. Dl4 worked fine when I took it in. Though they say they fixed it, an expensive part, I now don't seem to get dl4 or audio through hdmi. I am not messing with it anymore tonight. May look at it tomorrow and prepared to take it back.

That's a real bummer, what did they replace? Hope it is nothing more than the touchy DL4 setup procedure that I have quoted below from davidbarrickman. Please let us know what it takes to get DL4 working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

Do all of this BEFORE loading any discs into player. Also turn OFF HDMI control on the TV, Pioneer may have another name for it like "Anynet" or CEC sorry I don't know, I have Sony and Samsung TVs.
On your AVR-4810 do these steps...
1. Select whatever SOURCE you have the DBP-4010 connected to on your AVR-4810 w/HDMI & Denon Link cable, I'm assuming either HDP or DVD.
2. Push MENU, use up/down on remote to select SOURCE SELECT, use > to select DVD or HDP then press > again for INPUT ASSIGN >INPUT ASSIGN submenu.
3. If 4010 is connected to HDMI 1 on rear panel of 4810, make sure input assign settings are correct. Factory default is DVD/HDMI 1 but you must change DIGITAL from COAX 1 to D.LINK. If you have 4010 connected to HDP/HDMI 2 then DIGITAL needs to be changed from NONE to D.LINK. (important)
3. After confirming input assignments for HDMI and DIGITAL are correct , press RETURN and go to INPUT MODE and make sure it is set to AUTO, not HDMI or DIGITAL (very important).
3. Go to MANUAL SETUP in main menu and select HDMI Setup submenu, then select HDMI control...CONTROL should be ON (important...factory default is OFF so change setting to ON!).
I suggest having STANDBY source set to LAST and POWER OFF CONTROL set to OFF.
Now make settings on the DBP-4010...
1. Push SETUP on remote, go to DENON LINK SETUP, select "4th" for Denon Link 4th edition.
2. You will then be asked "When using Denon Link 4th, this turns on the HDMI control function of the HDMI terminal. Is this OK?"...use < to select YES (should be highlighted in yellow) then push ENTER, then RETURN.
3. Go to HDMI SETUP, select HDMI control, POWER OFF control I suggest set to OFF and CONTROL should be greyed out, if not set CONTROL to YES, but this shouldn't be necessary if step 2 was done right. Press RETURN and SETUP to exit.
On the front panel display of the AVR 4810 you should now see DVD:DENON LINK or HDP:DENON LINK. When playing CDs SACDs and DVDs this will remain on the display but CLOCK CONTROL light on DBP 4010 will NOT be lit...no 3rd blue light. When playing Blurays DENON LINK will NOT be displayed on the AVR 4810's display but the DBP-4010's CLOCK CONTROL/3rd blue light should come on...this is a source of some confusion, hope that helps...
So after making all the above settings, load a Bluray disc and hopefully you'll see the CLOCK CONTROL 3rd blue light once play begins. DENON LINK disappears from AVR front panel display, this is "normal" and means the Denon Link cable is being used for CLOCK CONTROL signal and the Bluray audio signal is handled by HDMI. For all other discs (CD SACD DVD) both clock and audio signals are transmitted by the Denon Link cable only.
Once again for CD SACD and DVD the CLOCK CONTROL 3rd blue light will NOT be on, only 1st and 2nd blue lights will be lit. For only these discs the AVR-4810's front panel display will indicate DENON LINK. With Blurays the CLOCK CONTROL 3rd blue light will be lit but the AVR-4810's front panel display will NOT indicate DENON LINK.
I hope this helps, if not let us know and perhaps we can try to help you some more...

Good luck.

Any takers for my request?
post #1191 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I'd love to help you but i'm quite far.
Good luck.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #1192 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any takers for my request?

I'd be glad to but I'm in MI.  How about posting this request on the AVR 4311/A100 thread, there's WAY more owners. The AVR 4310 thread is less active but that was a popular DL4 model too. 

I'm unclear if you're getting any DenonLink function-does DL3 work for you with this refurb? If so, hopefully you can fiddle more with the infernal third Blu light process enough to get it linked.

DL3 is really the only mode I hear a diff on-and that's with well-recorded music, when critically listening. CDs, SCAD and DVD-A, all sounded a little clearer and more detailed with DL3 when I did a controlled A/B comparison to my Oppo 83 via HDMI.

But I really couldn't tell any diff with BluRay or DL4, nor with DVD. The Denon is really my "music machine" as I have a cheapo Sony3D BRP for movies 

I almost "upgraded" to a great deal on an AVR 4520/DBT 3313 bundled package for under $2K authorized last fall ( DLHD) fearing just these sort of end-of-model life issues with this model.

Hoping to get away from spinning shiney discs, I found a nice option for my stereo rig, An Emo XDA-2 digital pre with an asyncronous USB connection and processing that includes upsampling and a very nice DAC (similar I think to what the Oppo 103/5 offers) to play files off the computer.

post #1193 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 05:20 AM

Thanks for that information, it was just what I was looking for! I get picture, and discs that wouldn't load before are now loading. They replaced the main blu ray laser and reader I guess, they said the part was $400.00. I am very happy Denon honored the warranty, because if not I would just get a Marantz UD5007 to sling discs and the heck with Denon link IV. so I get picture but no audio, at all. I think it's because I have selected PCM for the digital output instead of bitstream. PCM is not going to go through HDMI nor Denon Link IV so with any luck that is the issue. It is a tricky set up procedure. You know how it goes, you mess with something for an hour and then just don't want to deal with it. I am going to take a look this afternoon. thanks for the procedure.
post #1194 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I'd be glad to but I'm in MI.  How about posting this request on the AVR 4311/A100 thread, there's WAY more owners. The AVR 4310 thread is less active but that was a popular DL4 model too. 

I'm unclear if you're getting any DenonLink function-does DL3 work for you with this refurb? If so, hopefully you can fiddle more with the infernal third Blu light process enough to get it linked.

DL3 is really the only mode I hear a diff on-and that's with well-recorded music, when critically listening. CDs, SCAD and DVD-A, all sounded a little clearer and more detailed with DL3 when I did a controlled A/B comparison to my Oppo 83 via HDMI.
But I really couldn't tell any diff with BluRay or DL4, nor with DVD. The Denon is really my "music machine" as I have a cheapo Sony3D BRP for movies 

I almost "upgraded" to a great deal on an AVR 4520/DBT 3313 bundled package for under $2K authorized last fall ( DLHD) fearing just these sort of end-of-model life issues with this model.

Hoping to get away from spinning shiney discs, I found a nice option for my stereo rig, An Emo XDA-2 digital pre with an asyncronous USB connection and processing that includes upsampling and a very nice DAC (similar I think to what the Oppo 103/5 offers) to play files off the computer.

I will try posting there also, thank you for the pointer. I have also contacted the Denon service manager at their HQ just 15 minutes from where I live. I know they have an AVP there for demos so I am hoping he will let me bring mine in to test.

DL 2/3 both worked on the A100 I returned and the refurb unit. What stopped working was just DL4 on my original A100, besides the fact it kept leaving a"grease" trail around every blu ray. I have tried everything to get DL4 to work on the replacement player. The original was easy to setup and worked fine for 18 months. If it is not the player then I have to assume that the AVP either doesn't recognize DL4 anymore as it was originally a firmware upgrade and may have become corrupt in some way or the AVP HDMI control isn't working anymore even though it is on.

I too use DL3 mainly for music, I just hate having a function that seems to improve the audio playback for blu ray audio and is not working, even though the improvement was quite small; it seemed to take the "edge" of the upper vocal range and make the imaging just a little more precise.

As of now I am still addicted to all types of discs including vinyl... it's probably my age.smile.gif
post #1195 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"You know how it goes, you mess with something for an hour and then just don't want to deal with it".

Tell me about it. I spent most of yesterday trying to get DL4 working and I have had enough as I can't tell yet which device is faulty, see above comments.

Good luck with setting your player up.
post #1196 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 AM

I am pretty sure I just need to change mine from PCM output to bitstream. Here is a link from another forum that you might find useful. it has all the correct settings to get things how they need to be.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/denon-link-4th-and-hdmi-question.1135529/
post #1197 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am pretty sure I just need to change mine from PCM output to bitstream. Here is a link from another forum that you might find useful. it has all the correct settings to get things how they need to be.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/denon-link-4th-and-hdmi-question.1135529/

Yes you definitely need bit stream, no secondary audio and HD audio out to be selected to get DL4.

I will check the link thank you.
post #1198 of 1244 Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

PCM is not going to go through HDMI nor Denon Link IV so with any luck that is the issue.
PCM can definitely travel over HDMI.

If you're getting no sound at all, I'd suggest going back to basics by disconnecting the DL cable and get sound to work over HDMI. Once you've got that working, hook the DL cable back up and get that working.
post #1199 of 1244 Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Would not play back hd audio nor allow me to select those tracks in the menu. I am not confident they will fix it, and if they do how long it will last. I may pick up a Marantz ud5007 for 300 bucks as a back up. Back to the shop.
post #1200 of 1244 Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM

just got a call from the service center. They put in a new drive mechanism, now will put in a new main board after talking to Denon. Said there were 5 of them left. if that doesn't fix the issue then I will just get a Marantz ud5007 and forget about Denon link. Saw one of the new monster Denon receivers there, with Denon Link HD using a coax connection. Seems silly to keep changing the format.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page