Denon DBP-4010UDCI - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1261 of 1269 Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DBP-4010UDCI Info

Hello everybody.
I just got a minty (with the exception of the front display which is burned out) Denon DBP-4010UDCI player for free this afternoon. I have yet to get it home as the local dealer who had it is looking for a replacement display... According to him the guy that owned it has more gear than he knows what to do with and brought the unit in because of the display being out and just said to give it to whomever wants it... My dealer tested it out and said it works just fine.
So what I need to know is that what should I look out for with this unit, and can it be updated to run Netflix, Hulu and Pandora?
Any info is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1269 Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman67 View Post
So what I need to know is that what should I look out for with this unit, and can it be updated to run Netflix, Hulu and Pandora?
Any info is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
The answer is NO, NO, and NO. No Apps at all. And it can't and do 3D either.

But congratulations on getting a great videophile and audiophile quality piece of equipment for free!

The only big problem I've seen reported here is that the lens sometimes gets dirty or the laser burns out. BUT, a cheap fix has been documneted here if you are capable.

If you are not listening to SACD's, calibrating your picture, or don't have a Denon receiver/pre-pro to use Denon-link with, you may want to consider selling it and getting something inline with your usage scenario (apps).
post #1263 of 1269 Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everobody,

I am transferring my post from another thread, when it was proven that the player is wrong, not the receiver.

It is about a strange and annoying problem, the facts are as follows:

For 7-8 years I am an owner of Denon AVR-3808A receiver and Denon DBP-4010UD player, both bought and located in Europe. This combination worked (and works) like a charm, coupled with 5.1 set of serious speakers.

Recently I upgraded the receiver firmware via Ethernet and all seemed well after that, till I played some Blu-ray discs on my 4010UD and saw that BD audio stream is not sent as a bitstream signal to the receiver. Whatever I choose from the disc audio menu - Dolby True HD, DTS-MA HD, Dolby Digital or DTS, everytime the receiver shows PCM MULTI CH IN - no digital stream decoding.

The player is set to BITSTREAM and the receiver is set to INPUT - HDMI. There is only one HDMI cable between the two components - no other connections.

I replaced the HDMI cable, tried another HDMI socket on the receiver - no result. Whatever BD disc I play, whatever audio option I choose, I see only MULTI CH IN and receiver display "Audio input signal monitor" shows a 48kHz PCM 3/2/.1 signal is coming in.

Resetting the both units to factory defaults and manually configuring them did not help either.

This fault is present only with Blu-Ray discs. All other audio and video discs and digital audio formats work OK - DVD discs in DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1, Super Audio CD, DVD Audio, DTS audio CD, etc.

Comitting some tests with another BD player, with the same HDMI cable and same receiver settings, all worked just fine - I saw at last Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA shining on my receiver's display, nomore PCM Multi Channel In!

Switched back the same HDMI cable to 4010UD and the MULTI CHANNEL IN problem re-appeared. In fact the player keeps on decoding and doesn't send a bitstream signal to the receiver when playing Blu-rays, whatever I set. This is not a proper behaviour.

I don't know, recently I cleaned the player lenses and readability was much improved. The next step is to replace the optical unit of 4010UD - cheap and easy option.

Any advice or help would be highly appreciated, I really have no idea why there is no Bitstream signal anymore coming out with Blu-Rays played on my Denon DBP-4010UD.
post #1264 of 1269 Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chess11 View Post
Hi everobody,

I am transferring my post from another thread, when it was proven that the player is wrong, not the receiver.

It is about a strange and annoying problem, the facts are as follows:

For 7-8 years I am an owner of Denon AVR-3808A receiver and Denon DBP-4010UD player, both bought and located in Europe. This combination worked (and works) like a charm, coupled with 5.1 set of serious speakers.

Recently I upgraded the receiver firmware via Ethernet and all seemed well after that, till I played some Blu-ray discs on my 4010UD and saw that BD audio stream is not sent as a bitstream signal to the receiver. Whatever I choose from the disc audio menu - Dolby True HD, DTS-MA HD, Dolby Digital or DTS, everytime the receiver shows PCM MULTI CH IN - no digital stream decoding.

The player is set to BITSTREAM and the receiver is set to INPUT - HDMI. There is only one HDMI cable between the two components - no other connections.

I replaced the HDMI cable, tried another HDMI socket on the receiver - no result. Whatever BD disc I play, whatever audio option I choose, I see only MULTI CH IN and receiver display "Audio input signal monitor" shows a 48kHz PCM 3/2/.1 signal is coming in.

Resetting the both units to factory defaults and manually configuring them did not help either.

This fault is present only with Blu-Ray discs. All other audio and video discs and digital audio formats work OK - DVD discs in DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1, Super Audio CD, DVD Audio, DTS audio CD, etc.

Comitting some tests with another BD player, with the same HDMI cable and same receiver settings, all worked just fine - I saw at last Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA shining on my receiver's display, nomore PCM Multi Channel In!

Switched back the same HDMI cable to 4010UD and the MULTI CHANNEL IN problem re-appeared. In fact the player keeps on decoding and doesn't send a bitstream signal to the receiver when playing Blu-rays, whatever I set. This is not a proper behaviour.

I don't know, recently I cleaned the player lenses and readability was much improved. The next step is to replace the optical unit of 4010UD - cheap and easy option.

Any advice or help would be highly appreciated, I really have no idea why there is no Bitstream signal anymore coming out with Blu-Rays played on my Denon DBP-4010UD.
Have you disabled BD Effect Sound in the Audio setup Menu and set the BD Audio Mode to HD Audio Output using the Mode switch on the remote? Both of these would be set to their default positions after a firmware upgrade.
chess11 likes this.
post #1265 of 1269 Old 03-19-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post
Have you disabled BD Effect Sound in the Audio setup Menu and set the BD Audio Mode to HD Audio Output using the Mode switch on the remote? Both of these would be set to their default positions after a firmware upgrade.
You made a miracle, mate - thank you so much!

BD audio effect in the Setup was off - I checked the settings several times, but the key was that neglected MODE button on the remote - I did totally forgot about it and there is no such option in On-Screen Setup, so I simply missed it!

As you suppose, MODE was set to default MIX Audio. Changing it to HD Audio fixed it all - pure and virgin bitstream signal rushed on its way to the receiver!

Thanks again, I was completely confused, I was even thinking to replace my 4010... madness!

Last edited by chess11; 03-19-2016 at 03:56 PM.
post #1266 of 1269 Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Glad to see a few folks still have this machine. I still love mine, although I have to take it apart from time to time, to give the laser lens a clean!
ImaStar likes this.
post #1267 of 1269 Old 03-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess11 View Post
You made a miracle, mate - thank you so much!

BD audio effect in the Setup was off - I checked the settings several times, but the key was that neglected MODE button on the remote - I did totally forgot about it and there is no such option in On-Screen Setup, so I simply missed it!

As you suppose, MODE was set to default MIX Audio. Changing it to HD Audio fixed it all - pure and virgin bitstream signal rushed on its way to the receiver!

Thanks again, I was completely confused, I was even thinking to replace my 4010... madness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoHo View Post
Glad to see a few folks still have this machine. I still love mine, although I have to take it apart from time to time, to give the laser lens a clean!

I am just glad you got it working again after the firmware upgrade. I have been caught by the MODE button several times.

Yes I love this machine but it is sooooo... slow loading compared to my OPPO 103; and now for the 3rd time my DL4 has stopped working. Last time it was the digital board in my AVP, times before that I had to completely unwire the whole AVP and start from scratch to get DL4 back, this time nothing.

Luckily I have only had to clean my lens once in the past three years.

Well, with 4K, HDR and immersive sound on the horizon I will probably not worry about loosing DL4 (DL3 still works) as new players, pre's and projectors are in my future .
post #1268 of 1269 Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This is the top model AV receiver for Denon?
post #1269 of 1269 Old 03-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONSADE View Post
This is the top model AV receiver for Denon?
Its not an AV receiver but a BluRay player.

The A1 and 4010/A100 were the Denon top of the line BluRay players. The DBT-3313UDCI is now the top of the line but in no way compares to the previous models and does not support the original Denon Link connection. I think that Denon "lost their way" and handed the "reigns" over to Marantz when they were bought out by D&M Holdings.

I had quiet a few friends that worked at Denon HQ here in Mahwah, everyone was "let go", and I find the company to be somewhat of a shell now compared to what it was when it created some real leading edge audio hardware.
Gerhard_Bader likes this.

Last edited by Digione; 03-21-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Misread above post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Denon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page