Denon DBP-4010UDCI - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1249 Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice Player al what did you pay for it in Australia, I bought the Old model the 3800 and I love it, but this 4010 player looks just that bit nicer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1249 Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Azz

Ahh - You got the Champagne version! Very very nice.. Logical choice with the colour of your Pre...

I opted for the Black for the same reason.

Ahhh - like this.. - thanks..

Hey, I've got a 50cm 6 channel Vector VI-Pro if you're interested in a 2nd hand option.

I had identical bootup situation as yourself - Setup was super easy though I'll be having a bit more of a play with it once my analogue cables arrive.

Running around madly trying to get dinner etc sorted though have Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia (88.2kHz) DVD-A pumping out while I do so..

Sweet sweet new toys.
LL
post #183 of 1249 Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

az, i'm geting a 0.5m one as well to facilitate my re-arrange. silly me used to have a 0.5m one and sold it off !

ps picked up the 4010 this morning.

got it up and going

1st impressions unpacking this is a thing of beauty, its very much along the lines of denon premium range. and in some ways reminds me to of my denon 2900 I used to own as well ! in build it matches the sony pretty well. but the denon oozes a bit more class in the looks I reckon

setup and hook up was no real issue. the harmony setup probably took the longest

I havent hooked up for denon link as yet. just over hdmi.

switch on was a little slow the 1st time, but soon fixed in switching off the power save standby mode ! its quick as a flash now I reckon as quick as, and perhaps faster even than the sony 5000es. So really quite pleased with the speed of the unit.

In use it is pretty slick.

what you get for setup is standard denon gui, which has a comfortable familiarity as a denon avp owner

only thing took a while was switching the unit to bitstream rather than internally decode. doesnt appear to be a menu option, just brought up the by the "mode" button on the remote. also the hdmi res button on the remote is all that appears to bring up "source direct" or toggles between video format.

like the menu system of the denon vs the sony which had the ps3 bar or more minimalist in movie menu. the denon little more conventional here.

one curiosity is playing 'contact' on BD, there was no dialnorm applied with the truehd track. something I will check with other movies.

Picture quality wise it is stunning ! it has a denon feel to the picture. a certain warmth, smoothness, naturalness, richness to it. Something that again reminds me of my previous denon 2930 and 2900 players have owned. the sony whose pictured has most impressed me on many occasion, and has an also very rich and vibrant picture but by comparison I feel has a slightly colder sharper look to its picture.

Sound wise and I swear the denon seems more enveloping in the sound. with an excellent clarity that seems to pin point the sound steering around the room. and I know people will tell me am imagining things or what ever, and it could be just the enthusiasm of the new toy but it sure sounds fantastic ! hehe

Will run a few dvds through when get a chance. and ofcourse hook up via denon link for some cd and multichannel music

ps my sony 5000es has been relegated to the bedroom system, but it doesnt go there with tail between the legs, still have an enormous respect for the player, in both sound and picture and if theres anything in it vs the denon it would in the subtleties.

Congrats Al, nice player!! Looking forward in reading your impressions when you play around some more.

Frank
post #184 of 1249 Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

az, i'm geting a 0.5m one as well to facilitate my re-arrange. silly me used to have a 0.5m one and sold it off !

got it up and going

1st impressions unpacking this is a thing of beauty, its very much along the lines of denon premium range. and in some ways reminds me to of my denon 2900 I used to own as well ! in build it matches the sony pretty well. but the denon oozes a bit more class in the looks I reckon

setup and hook up was no real issue. the harmony setup probably took the longest

I havent hooked up for denon link as yet. just over hdmi.

switch on was a little slow the 1st time, but soon fixed in switching off the power save standby mode ! its quick as a flash now I reckon as quick as, and perhaps faster even than the sony 5000es. So really quite pleased with the speed of the unit.

In use it is pretty slick.

what you get for setup is standard denon gui, which has a comfortable familiarity as a denon avp owner

only thing took a while was switching the unit to bitstream rather than internally decode. doesnt appear to be a menu option, just brought up the by the "mode" button on the remote. also the hdmi res button on the remote is all that appears to bring up "source direct" or toggles between video format.

like the menu system of the denon vs the sony which had the ps3 bar or more minimalist in movie menu. the denon little more conventional here.

one curiosity is playing 'contact' on BD, there was no dialnorm applied with the truehd track. something I will check with other movies.

Picture quality wise it is stunning ! it has a denon feel to the picture. a certain warmth, smoothness, naturalness, richness to it. Something that again reminds me of my previous denon 2930 and 2900 players have owned. the sony whose pictured has most impressed me on many occasion, and has an also very rich and vibrant picture but by comparison I feel has a slightly colder sharper look to its picture.

Sound wise and I swear the denon seems more enveloping in the sound. with an excellent clarity that seems to pin point the sound steering around the room. and I know people will tell me am imagining things or what ever, and it could be just the enthusiasm of the new toy but it sure sounds fantastic ! hehe

Will run a few dvds through when get a chance. and ofcourse hook up via denon link for some cd and multichannel music

ps my sony 5000es has been relegated to the bedroom system, but it doesnt go there with tail between the legs, still have an enormous respect for the player, in both sound and picture and if theres anything in it vs the denon it would in the subtleties.

Hehe your comments match mine for dvd a1ud.Ok i'm not playing around , but i thought and posted the same when i got my dvd a1ud .It is normal , as a true descendant of a1ud , it would be quite of a machine.
Well it had to.If you know what i mean.Of course the warmness and clarity and softness is there , reminding you this is a dennon uber alles machine.
I feel happy for you.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #185 of 1249 Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
To all people around here , denon is a first class company that makes first class products.
I think we all agree with that. And of course they would make an excelent player that follows a1ud , that is for sure, didn't you expect that?

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #186 of 1249 Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

got it up and going

Congrats Al. I've been eyeing this player for awhile. I eagerly await your impressions once you have a little time with it. Also, what are your impressions using DL4?

P.S. That's one helluva bedroom BD player you now have.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #187 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Ahh - You got the Champagne version! Very very nice.. Logical choice with the colour of your Pre...

I opted for the Black for the same reason.

Still trying to get my head around attachments on here - how do you get it to show in the post? (I'm assuming it will be an attachment)..

Hey, I've got a 50cm 6 channel Vector VI-Pro if you're interested in a 2nd hand option.

I had identical bootup situation as yourself - Setup was super easy though I'll be having a bit more of a play with it once my analogue cables arrive.

Running around madly trying to get dinner etc sorted though have Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia (88.2kHz) DVD-A pumping out while I do so..

Sweet sweet new toys.

looks very sexy in the black az, thought youd go that way with the yam z7 and all black T7 in your line up

great to hear you had a chance to hook and get going

bugger the 0,5 mch cable already on order think probably get it monday ! ! I should have asked. though only need 5ch so probably a good thing rather than 6.

ps re attachements, open up the pick you posted, copy the url when it opens and stick in the dialog box when you hit the insert image icon you'll notice while posting a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Congrats Al, nice player!! Looking forward in reading your impressions when you play around some more.

thanks frank, since it came out it sure has got my interest, and look forward to playing with all the options myself as get a chance

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #188 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Hehe your comments match mine for dvd a1ud.Ok i'm not playing around , but i thought and posted the same when i got my dvd a1ud .It is normal , as a true descendant of a1ud , it would be quite of a machine.
Well it had to.If you know what i mean.Of course the warmness and clarity and softness is there , reminding you this is a dennon uber alles machine.
I feel happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

To all people around here , denon is a first class company that makes first class products.
I think we all agree with that. And of course they would make an excelent player that follows a1ud , that is for sure, didn't you expect that?

hehe great to see your experience has been along similar lines. I have consciously to be honest not followed any of the dvd-a1ud threads as been out of my league and hate to get tempted.

looking at some picks the 4010 sure looks like a good chip of the block of the mighty a1ud. whcih I imagine is no doubt one hell of a machine.

I agree with you. this player sure is a reminder for me the lovely disc players denon makes.

my sony 5000es is a top flight BD player, and hard to fault but in use now seems a little clunky and older gen by comparison, the 4010 is one very slick machine

post #189 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Congrats Al. I've been eyeing this player for awhile. I eagerly await your impressions once you have a little time with it. Also, what are your impressions using DL4?

P.S. That's one helluva bedroom BD player you now have.

thanks wabo

will post more for sure as get to experience more of it.

havent managed to hook up DL4 as yet to comment. have been enjoying some diana krall...just lovely

hehe the sony one helluva player indeed, but wont be wasted in the bedroom. I looked high and low for a bedroom player. In buying the denon for the lounge room has given me not only a nie player for the lounge room but also just what wanted for in the bedroom, a player in the sony extremely accomplished over analog as needed by pure analog system I have over there.

post #190 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Azz

Quote:

thanks wabo

will post more for sure as get to experience more of it.

havent managed to hook up DL4 as yet to comment. have been enjoying some diana krall...just lovely

hehe the sony one helluva player indeed, but wont be wasted in the bedroom. I looked high and low for a bedroom player. In buying the denon for the lounge room has given me not only a nie player for the lounge room but also just what wanted for in the bedroom, a player in the sony extremely accomplished over analog as needed by pure analog system I have over there.

Al, Not only is your main system the envy of many, your bedroom system has evolved into quite the retreat!!
I can just see you feigning a yawn to retire early of an eve to enjoy it imensley!
With the 4010 I had HD audio running out of the box though Ive spent some time in setup and for some reason I'm back to PCM. I need to reset or find what the hell Ive changed now!
Diana Krall on BR was what you mentioned earlier? Did you manage to get tickets to see her next year?
post #191 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
How is BDLive material handled on this model? I don't see a SD card slot on the front panel. Does it have internal memory, if so, how much? I'm just curious as I own the A1 and it has the SD card slot on the front.

post #192 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

How is BDLive material handled on this model? I don't see a SD card slot on the front panel. Does it have internal memory, if so, how much? I'm just curious as I own the A1 and it has the SD card slot on the front.

Under the display

http://www.areadvd.de/lm/AV_Hardware..._dbp4010.shtml

post #193 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK_Titan View Post

Under the display

Thanks

post #194 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Azz

Wow, Great picture!!
post #195 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Al, Not only is your main system the envy of many, your bedroom system has evolved into quite the retreat!!
I can just see you feigning a yawn to retire early of an eve to enjoy it imensley!
With the 4010 I had HD audio running out of the box though Ive spent some time in setup and for some reason I'm back to PCM. I need to reset or find what the hell Ive changed now!
Diana Krall on BR was what you mentioned earlier? Did you manage to get tickets to see her next year?

thanks for the kind words az, yes indeed why did the Bedroom system so we could just retire away there and still enjoy some tv, watch a disc or listen to some music

diana krall was look in your eyes dvda on multichannel, got a bit of her music

ps to set for bitstream it is mode button on the remote and make sure it is on hd audio.

Quote:

Wow, Great picture!!

sure is some very nice pics in that link, looks like a nice overview of the denon there for those who can read german !

must say the card slot is done very nicely on the 4010, youd hardly notice its there !

post #196 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

must say the card slot is done very nicely on the 4010, youd hardly notice its there !

I agree. I like how discreet it is. It makes for a very clean look.

Hey Al, how about some pics.

post #197 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Azz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK_Titan View Post

Under the display

http://www.areadvd.de/lm/AV_Hardware..._dbp4010.shtml

Google's attempt at translation.
http://translate.google.com/translat..._dbp4010.shtml
post #198 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Well my 4010 arrived yesterday... YES!
Setup was easy and quick, love Denon's onscreen menus/setup GUI.
While not the heavy beast of previous Denon's, A1UDCI, 5910CI, 9000etc, the 4010 makes my OPPO BDP-83 look and feel a little toy-ish.
Operation is silky smooth and quite, but as stated earlier in this thread, a bit slow, both loading and menus, compared to the OPPO and PS3.
I have the 4010 connected to the 4810 via HDMI and DenonLink4.
Display is the Panasonic 65V10 plasma and Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector.
I also have the 2 channel analog outputs of the 4010 connected to the
Wyred4Sound STI-1000 intergrated amp, which I use in conjunction, Home Theater bypass, with the 4810. The W4S STI-1000 gives my main speakers, NHT Evolution T6s, 500 watts per channel.... whether through the 4810/4010 combo or directly through the STI-1000.
I have four analog sources connected to the STI-1000....
4010, Transporter via XLR balanced inputs, Phono and of course the 4810Front R/L pre-outs for the Home Theater bypass function.
Anyway back to the 4010, I just wanted to state the importance of
2-channel music in my system.
First Bluray movie loaded into the 4010..... The Fifth Element, one of my references for video performance.
First impression was WOW this thing looks better than I remembered.
But you know how first impressions can be.... you've just spent a bundle on a new toy and you want it to look better
Next up was Dave Matthews Live at RadioCity bluray.
The more I watched the more the wow first impression faded.
Yes it's good, very good, but maybe it's about the same, video wise, as my previous bluray players, OPPO, Panny, etc.... maybe, maybe not, time will tell. I plan on putting the Oppo back into my system and do a little side by side comparsions to verify my first impressions.
Also to compare audio performance, both Bluray and SACD, of the 4010 via DenonLink4/HDMI versus the OPPO via HDMI.
However I won't have to compare 2-channel analog audio.
The 4010 beats the crap out of the OPPO.
Very, very nice analog audio from the 4010.
Musical, detailed, smooth, clean and dynamic come to mind listeing to the 4010 via it's analog outputs. This alone makes the upgrade to the 4010 worth it!
More to come........

DreamCatcher

Well, DC's review pushed me over the the line, and I plunked the Oppo onto Audiogon and put my order in for the 4010, primarily for analog sound for now. But if Denon ever builds a successor to the 5805, I'll be ready to try the DenonLink.
post #199 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Azz

Hi Peoples.
When I initially plugged my 4010 in (1.5 days ago) I did a Firmware update check and there ws nothing available.
I just did the same thing and now there is!
Download time stated 73 minutes. 5 minutes in it's down to 41 minutes...

This is for the Australian delivery DBP-4010UD.
post #200 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Peoples.
When I initially plugged my 4010 in (1.5 days ago) I did a Firmware update check and there ws nothing available.
I just did the same thing and now there is!
Download time stated 73 minutes. 5 minutes in it's down to 41 minutes...

This is for the Australian delivery DBP-4010UD.

az thanks for you help re hooking up to the net. in quick start mode I plugged in the network cable and it wouldnt pick up the network. but putting it into full power save. switching off. then pulling the power plug on it. then plugging back in again. then powering up it has picked up the network.

like yourself mine to an aussie model and shows as an update available. so applying it as well. mine only shows as a 23min update (though that could be related to server and download speeds). anyways last report was 93% done only 8 min to go ! hopefully done soon ! wondering if will help me hook up via denon link after that !

ps down load done it is now applying the update...

post #201 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Azz

Quote:

az thanks for you help re hooking up to the net. in quick start mode I plugged in the network cable and it wouldnt pick up the network. but putting it into full power save. switching off. then pulling the power plug on it. then plugging back in again. then powering up it has picked up the network.

like yourself mine to an aussie model and shows as an update available. so applying it as well. mine only shows as a 23min update (though that could be related to server and download speeds). anyways last report was 93% done only 8 min to go ! hopefully done soon ! wondering if will help me hook up via denon link after that !

ps down load done it is now applying the update...

Well it didnt brick it, and I'm playing a CD back at the moment.
With Denon(s) how do you see what Firmware version that you have, and what is updated in the new versions?
post #202 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Well, DC's review pushed me over the the line, and I plunked the Oppo onto Audiogon and put my order in for the 4010, primarily for analog sound for now. But if Denon ever builds a successor to the 5805, I'll be ready to try the DenonLink.

Congrats. I've been eyeing the 4010 too. I must admit I've been spoiled with the performance and speed of my Oppo. I'm very interested in how your new 4010 compares to your departing 83.

post #203 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it didnt brick it, and I'm playing a CD back at the moment.
With Denon(s) how do you see what Firmware version that you have, and what is updated in the new versions?

all went well here too !

you just check for update again az and will tell you, you have the latest. updates on the denons have always been a bit of a mystery, a bit of house keeping I suspect. flushing out any bugs before they might rear their head

ps not that it has helped me with DL4. think will have to check with the retailer and apg the local distributor support guys on monday.

edit, put a call into the guys where bought mine from, said they have 4010 in the store and will hook upto the avp they have to check out

post #204 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

all went well here too !

you just check for update again az and will tell you, you have the latest. updates on the denons have always been a bit of a mystery, a bit of house keeping I suspect. flushing out any bugs before they might rear their head

ps not that it has helped me with DL4. think will have to check with the retailer and apg the local distributor support guys on monday.

edit, put a call into the guys where bought mine from, said they have 4010 in the store and will hook upto the avp they have to check out

how does the analog compare to the 5000?-- any consistent differences and if so what? im starting to drool over this thing...also anyone thinking about the marantz model and choosing between the 2?
post #205 of 1249 Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

how does the analog compare to the 5000?-- any consistent differences and if so what? im starting to drool over this thing...also anyone thinking about the marantz model and choosing between the 2?

have no idea on the analog side deno, from what I've read its decent. not sure upto the level of the sony which has really nice power supply, well implemented discrete dacs and analog stage. the denon understand has perhaps not as nice power supply but does have in denon fasion a decent discrete dac and analog stage. for analog setup I dont think you can beat the denon or marantz at present nothing else as comprehensive that I know.

with the marantz model, though likely a kissing cousin, it wont have denon link, which perhaps worth goign for if you have anything else denon. not that can get it going on the 4010

its definitely drool worthy though I can tell you

post #206 of 1249 Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 AM

Was told mine has been shipped, will arrive Mon/Tue. I have a nice shiny black AVC 4810 here waiting to plug it in to as well. Until then I guess I'll just have to carry on reading reports from others.....
post #207 of 1249 Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

ok in all my eagerness to check for firmware updates and hooking up for denon link I managed to get the denon link and network cable mixed up. explains why I couldnt get denon link going ! works fine now for cd, dvd, sacd, dvda. BD still bitstreams havent set up for clock control as yet. a few suggested work arounds likely have to do for that one

post #208 of 1249 Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhb View Post

Was told mine has been shipped, will arrive Mon/Tue. I have a nice shiny black AVC 4810 here waiting to plug it in to as well. Until then I guess I'll just have to carry on reading reports from others.....

congrats will be a nice combo there, the 4810 with dl4 out the box ! be sure to post some pics

post #209 of 1249 Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Azz

Quote:

ok in all my eagerness to check for firmware updates and hooking up for denon link I managed to get the denon link and network cable mixed up. explains why I couldnt get denon link going ! works fine now for cd, dvd, sacd, dvda. BD still bitstreams havent set up for clock control as yet. a few suggested work arounds likely have to do for that one

Not that I have the DLink to worry about though I did nearly stick the network plug in the wrong hole.
I bet you kicked yourself!
post #210 of 1249 Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not that I have the DLink to worry about though I did nearly stick the network plug in the wrong hole.
I bet you kicked yourself!

hehe yeah, the denon link being black and cat 6 cables I use being black as well dont help. more the reason to mark the cabels with those cable tags foxy sent me !

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page