AVS Forum banner

Toshiba BDX2000

55K views 196 replies 91 participants last post by  jjonmon 
#1 ·

Quote:
Toshiba Introduces Blu-ray Disc Player

Debut player delivers high image quality and sophisticated design, a great complement to Toshiba's superior line of HDTVs

WAYNE, N.J., Sept. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba America Consumer Products L.L.C. ("Toshiba"), a market leader in home entertainment products, underscores its commitment to high-definition entertainment with the introduction of its first Blu-ray Disc player. The BDX2000 provides Full HD 1080p digital output that when coupled with a REGZA(R) LCD TV, enables consumers to enjoy the superior quality of high-definition audio & video content.

Supporting BD-Live(TM) (Profile 2.0), the BDX2000 allows users to take advantage of interactive features through an Ethernet connection. With interactive content enabled on select Blu-ray discs and Bonus View(TM) support for picture-in-picture capability, Toshiba's Blu-ray player offers state-of-the-art home entertainment.

Complementing the player's stunning picture quality, design is an integral component of Toshiba's home entertainment products. This new Blu-ray Disc player boasts a faceted design featuring a smoked mirrored front panel. The stylish front panel dropdown door conceals the player's primary functions, allowing for a smooth, clean facade.

"Toshiba is a technology leader in high definition products," said Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Digital A/V Group. "From listening to our consumers we know they demand access to full high definition content. With the introduction of our BDX2000 we are offering consumers what they want with a breath-taking HD viewing experience to meet the needs of today's home theater."

Using the REGZA-LINK(R) function, the new BDX2000 can connect with a REGZA LCD TV via a HDMI(TM) cable and display full high definition content with a single remote control. For added convenience, the BDX2000 features a SD card slot, making it an entertainment hub in the home by allowing consumers to showcase photos and videos with ease.

Additional Product Features:

* BD-Live(TM) (Profile 2.0)

* 1080p/ 24 fps Full HD Video Output

* AVCHD Playback

* Toshiba REGZA-LINK(R) (HDMI-CEC)

* Support for enhanced audio formats from Dolby(R) True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio | Essential(TM) Playback

* Bonus View

* SD Card Slot

* ENERGY STAR(R) Certified

Pricing and Availability:

Toshiba Blu-ray Disc Player

BDX2000 (available November, MSRP $249.99)

Important Notes:

This product does not play HD DVD discs. Blu-ray discs with high-definition content required for HD viewing.

Supported card types: SD cards: 8MB?2GB, SDHC cards: 8GB. Supported file types: JPEG, MP3, WMA and AVCHD. Some cards and files may not be supported.

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewConte...5087843&EDATE=

Toshiba promo page:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/promopag...babdx2000.html

#102 ·
Placing high tech products on the market and providing the necessary infrastructure to give them a chance of success is absolutely NOT cheap. No offense intended, but IMO -- anyone who thinks it would be, simply lacks comprehension of the process by which a product is developed, introduced, and maintained on the market. The prospects of a combo BD/HD DVD player even coming close to recovering the cost of the product lifetime investment is dubious at best (and obviously, that doesn't even consider the issue of profitability, without good prospects of which, no manufacturer in their right mind would even consider initiating a development cycle).

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/17562254

I picked up the new toshiba blu ray player. I got it from best buy. I wanted another player because of the problems with the panasonic 80. while I have only had a few freeze problems. I figure this player would help in the meantime. its run a bit faster then the panasonic on some stuff.. its a fine player. there are some stuff that it does better with then the panasonic, but also had problems playing alien from the 9 disc set.. DTS version and also had the same problems playing gladiator and braveheart. I had problems playing the ad/trailers in front of braveheart and gladiator on the panasonic 80. its probably more of a disc problem. I did have the HD-a2 during the format war.

Jacob

Does anyone know who makes this BDX2000 for Toshiba?

HHGregg has the Toshiba Blu-ray player on Black Friday for $79 (after $20 rebate), is this Toshiba worth It, or should I consider a different brand?

FYI: I also purchased a Toshiba A-2 a few years ago, it was defective, Toshiba customer service was very good with firm replacement, they actually gave me the next model, A-3 I believe, and new firmware. I was "very very" pleased with TOS customer service..!

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. /forum/post/17576898

Does anyone know who makes this BDX2000 for Toshiba?

HHGregg has the Toshiba Blu-ray player on Black Friday for $79 (after $20 rebate), is this Toshiba worth It, or should I consider a different brand?

FYI: I also purchased a Toshiba A-2 a few years ago, it was defective, Toshiba customer service was very good with firm replacement, they actually gave me the next model, A-3 I believe, and new firmware. I was "very very" pleased with TOS customer service..!

it's probably a funai re-badge, which at least means it's road-tested.

toshiba customer support is the second best (to Oppo) i have ever dealt with compared to sony, onkyo, denon, and marantz.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin /forum/post/17551799

It wouldn't cost Toshiba much if any more money to do this. The HD DVD development is already done and no new discs are being released. So they wouldn't have to spend anytime on it. I agree with most here that Toshiba is releasing this player just to have something to bundle with their TVs for this season. I am willing to bet they will release a high end player that they design and it will include HD DVD support. Of course I could be wrong...

Yes, it would. The Combo drives are no longer being made so a new line would have to be created. They had their chance when this launched to make a 'premium' BD player or even a Combo and chose not to. What's left is a POS.

#109 ·
To those who missed the new flashes let me bring you up to date:

1. Blu-ray players are now a commodity. Why would Toshiba not want to be in a such a market.

2. The only things that matters to the vast majority of buyers of Blu-ray players are price and brand name. Things such as DVD upscaling and streaming video are not even understood by the vast majority of consumers, let alone sought after.

My prediction is that the market for anything other than a basic Blu-ray player will be even more miniscule in the future that it is now. I wish there was something that could get me excited again in this field but I don't see it anytime in the near future.

fafner

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by punamedia /forum/post/17605530

Uhh, that's exactly why Toshiba might NOT want to be in this market. One doesn't make good profits on commodities.

Uhh...since Toshiba wants to continue to be a "player" in the home theater market, they had no choice but to introduce a Blu-ray player. Actually, one can make excellent profits on commodities (ever hear or sugar, corn, cotton, coal, etc.) especially if they do no product development but simply put their name on an already developed product.

fafner

#112 ·
$99 shipped (and no tax) at Newegg today. For a spare bedroom with an exisiting Toshiba LCD it simply can't be passed up. I have an OPPO upconverting DVD player in there now and will keep it as it probably plays 480i disks better than the Toshiba will. In my projector room I have my main blu-ray set up with Panny player but like I said, for $99 how can you go wrong?

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua /forum/post/17610489

$99 shipped (and no tax) at Newegg today. For a spare bedroom with an exisiting Toshiba LCD it simply can't be passed up. I have an OPPO upconverting DVD player in there now and will keep it as it probably plays 480i disks better than the Toshiba will. In my projector room I have my main blu-ray set up with Panny player but like I said, for $99 how can you go wrong?

How about $79.97 this morning from Amazon.com (free shipping and no sales tax save for Washington state). That's amazingly cheap. I'm not in the market for a BR player, but this is too good to pass up. I wonder if it will be as good as the basic Sylvania and Maganavox (since it seems to be a Funai)? I would imagine Toshiba will be pretty good about firmware updates when needed.

Edit: pulled the trigger on that one. I'll have it for Blu-Ray and my XDE-600 for upconverting SD-DVDs with the terrific visual enhancements it has. Both for $150. Meh, not bad I suppose.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo /forum/post/17611292

How about $79.97 this morning from Amazon.com (free shipping and no sales tax save for Washington state). That's amazingly cheap. I'm not in the market for a BR player, but this is too good to pass up. I wonder if it will be as good as the basic Sylvania and Maganavox (since it seems to be a Funai)? I would imagine Toshiba will be pretty good about firmware updates when needed.

Edit: pulled the trigger on that one. I'll have it for Blu-Ray and my XDE-600 for upconverting SD-DVDs with the terrific visual enhancements it has. Both for $150. Meh, not bad I suppose.

OMG! I checked Amazon too and they had it for something like $137 when I looked. I am in the process of trying to cancel Newegg and jump on Amazon - I hope I can do it. Thanks for the head's up as this is incredible.

#115 ·
Well, things are so busy today that Newegg puts you on hold forever so I can't get them by phone and their chat is booked too. I have to lines open to them but I'll never get through. They do not have a cancel order on line the way Amazon does. Oh well, I paid twenty bucks more than I should have but it is still a deal.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onykonewb /forum/post/17611489

I snatched one up at 79.97, good deal!

Indeed it is! I finally got through to Newegg and cancelled the order for $99 and once I got it confirmed via email (which much to their credit only took a minute or two) I immediately ordered the $79 one from Amazon.

I know talk about prices and vendors are frowned upon on the forum but this is the deal of the century for a newly issued blu-ray player from a major electronics manufacturer. As long as you don't need all the bells and whistles available on more upper end players, I can't imagine any blu-ray player ever beating this deal on a dollar for dollar basis.

#120 ·
I tried to get it at the $79 price, then it said $138
then I checked back later and it was $79 again
and the wife had $10 GC from Swag Bucks and free shipping w/o tax. $69 for one is cheaper then I was thinking I would be able to get one for. I will be giving it as a gift, hopefully it will last a while.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement /forum/post/17612487

I tried to get it at the $79 price, then it said $138
then I checked back later and it was $79 again
and the wife had $10 GC from Swag Bucks and free shipping w/o tax. $69 for one is cheaper then I was thinking I would be able to get one for. I will be giving it as a gift, hopefully it will last a while.

guys, it's a re-badged magnavox. of course it's selling for under $100.

#122 ·
For $80 for it out the door (no rebate to fuss with) is still a pretty solid deal. From everything I've read regarding Sylvanias/Mags/Philips their IQ is at least average for the price range and they are pretty forgiving about playing most discs with a minimum of firmware updates.

Actually, the disc tray placement is in the center behind the drop down cover. Funai built ones tend to have theirs on the left side of the player. I think people saying its a Funai clone are basing it on a fairly similar remote, which may not be the best guage. Its hard to tell what contracted factory in China it comes from or what specifically Toshiba told them to do from a design point. Labeling it a rebadged Mag might be a little presumptuous.

#124 ·
The menus are the same as the magnavox as well as the remote so it is a funai product. However, it is quite clear that the Toshiba had a much different spec for the player. Magnavox does not have any BD 2.0 players and I don't think that Sylvania does. the Toshiba is 2.0. The Toshiba has a different layout of connectors at the rear although they do have the typical upside down HDMI of Funai. The Toshiba also seems to be the only Funai player with the drive in the center and of course it has the firmware needed for REGZA-link. It's a little extreme to say that its a rebadged Magnavox as it clearly is an upgraded product with a substantially different design.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo /forum/post/17612617

Actually, the disc tray placement is in the center behind the drop down cover. Funai built ones tend to have theirs on the left side of the player. I think people saying its a Funai clone are basing it on a fairly similar remote, which may not be the best guage. Its hard to tell what contracted factory in China it comes from or what specifically Toshiba told them to do from a design point. Labeling it a rebadged Mag might be a little presumptuous.

What's the UL Certification number?

If it's E234498, then it's a Funai.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...370&sequence=1

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4fw /forum/post/17613561

What's the UL Certification number?

If it's E234498, then it's a Funai.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...370&sequence=1

Good detective work! The model number is listed in that paragraph of BD Players. I'll keep that in mind for reference for other players in the future. Pretty handy to see who's actually making what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.