Toshiba BDX2000 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 197 Old 04-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this on Amazon.com for $79.

I'm using an HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect it to a Dell S2309w 1080p monitor.

It worked well for the first couple of months -- I used it to watch one Blu-Ray (Dark Knight) at full resolution, as well as a few DVDs.

Then it stopped outputting to the monitor. I can't tell if the problem is with the player, the cable, or the monitor.

The monitor detects a connected DVI cable, but says there's no input. In the player's video settings, HDMI Resolution is grayed out (I was able to get a composite video signal out). I've tried initializing the player settings and unplugging it, to no avail.

I don't think this should be an HDCP issue, since it's present even when there's no disk inserted.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 197 Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone try an XA1 or XA2 remote with this player?
post #183 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
Got Avatar DB from Amazon.com yesterday. I tested it out on my Mom's Toshiba BDX2000 I brought got her. It has what ever firmware that came with it and it played Avatar BD with out any problems. Load times were about 3 minutes to get to the menu screen.
post #184 of 197 Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw the BDX2500 today at Best Buy. Gees...Toshiba really knows how to make a cheap looking player. This thing screams 'rebadged'. Their HD DVD players were never super slick looking, but square buttons on the faceplate? Blah.
post #185 of 197 Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Has anyone tried out the BDX2500? A couple of my BB stores have this in stock. I've always liked Toshiba products, so I may give this a try, but was hoping to see some feedback first. And it would be nice if BB sent out a 10% off coupon soon.
post #186 of 197 Old 05-09-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

Has anyone tried out the BDX2500? A couple of my BB stores have this in stock. I've always liked Toshiba products, so I may give this a try, but was hoping to see some feedback first. And it would be nice if BB sent out a 10% off coupon soon.

Nope. My Best Buy's are not even stocking it out on the main floor (they are up in the rafters) until they clear some of the older BD player stuff.
post #187 of 197 Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Amazon now has the BDX2500 in stock.
post #188 of 197 Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Picked-up a bdx2500. Really like it so far. There was a update available right away. I didn't update the player @ 1st. Tried a movie & noticed the load-time was kind of long (was coming from a PS3)

I then updated the player & the load times got very short. (As fast as my PS3) Checked-out the netflix stream. The netflix menu settings are very plain. I personally didn't like it. (spoiled by my xbox360)

I thought the picture quality was excellent via BR. Avatar looked stunning in combination with my TOSHIBA LED TV.(reason for purchasing) Though people may feel the design is cheap, I actually like the simple look of the player.
post #189 of 197 Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Picked-up a bdx2500. Really like it so far. There was a update available right away. I didn't update the player @ 1st. Tried a movie & noticed the load-time was kind of long (was coming from a PS3)

I then updated the player & the load times got very short. (As fast as my PS3) Checked-out the netflix stream. The netflix menu settings are very plain. I personally didn't like it. (spoiled by my xbox360)

I thought the picture quality was excellent via BR. Avatar looked stunning in combination with my TOSHIBA LED TV.(reason for purchasing) Though people may feel the design is cheap, I actually like the simple look of the player.

I agree with you. I bought this player to go in my bedroom with my Toshiba 37". I did not need Blu-Ray with such a small screen (I have a 106" 1080p projector and screen where I do most of my Blu-Ray watching). However, I picked it up a while back for $79 and could not pass it up. So far, so good. In fact, I was so impressed with it (for the price that is), that I rounded out my Toshiba bedroom with their dvd recorder, which I also got for about the same price. Dollar for dollar, my entire Toshiba bedroom represents one of the best values and bang for the buck in electronics today.

shortspark
post #190 of 197 Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM

I also bought it for about $79 from Amazon around this time last year. I've had no problems until trying to play the blu-ray of "Kickass" on it and it just seems to give me the rectangle and spins forever. I may need to update the software from 1.002 or whatever it shipped with to the current one, but Toshiba doesn't make it easy (doesn't even mention it on their site and I can't use the Ethernet, have to waste a blank CD on burning the update once I find it someplace. Has anyone used an SD card to update? Does the update fix the loading speed? is 1.013 the latest version?)
post #191 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I am at 1.004 - and tonight I tried to play Expendables - with no luck. Cleaned disc - still nothing. This player has been acting strange lately - about 1 month ago the hdmi out stopped working. So I sent it back to toshiba - they sent me a new one. Same problem. Before I send it back to them, I try it on a new sammy lcd - the hdmi works fine. So something has happened between the player and my hitachi 51f510 crt. All other hdmi devices work fine with tv - so I hook it up via component. Works great - until tonight. Found 1.013 at toshiba cananda.. might try it - since it looks like all of usa and canada are Region A/1. At this point, not much to lose. This is what I get for being cheap.. lol - I guess if I brick it then I have an excuse to go out and get a new player Maybe one with netflix and plays mkv
post #192 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
update - I loaded the firmware - make sure you follow the toshiba website directions - 9-8-7-POP menu otherwise it wont work. Takes about 5 minutes. Mine completely froze up after the process and gave and odd ERDDO code on the display. So I unplugged it and booted back up - new firmware listed as 1.013. Loaded Expendables and it works! Still didnt fix my HDMI problem - but at least I am back in business for now.
post #193 of 197 Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM

I am hopping someone could help me on a matter with my Toshiba BDX2100 Blu-Ray player. There is a setting in the menu called color space. In the manual it just says,
[Color Space]
Select a predefined Color space of
picture.
{RGB}.-.select.RGB.Color.space.
{YCbCr}.-.select.YCbCr.Color.space.
{YCbCr422}.-.Select.YCbCr422.Color.
space.
{Full RGB}.-.select.Full.RGB.Color.
space.
Thing is it does not explain which one to select, I have a l HD ready TV Panasonic TX-P42C10B if that is any help for knowing which setting to select? Dont really know what colour space is for, could anyone tell me and which setting to select? Does it mater which one I select?
Thanks for any help
post #194 of 197 Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonmon View Post

I am hopping someone could help me on a matter with my Toshiba BDX2100 Blu-Ray player. There is a setting in the menu called color space. In the manual it just says,
[Color Space]
Select a predefined Color space of
picture.
{RGB}.-.select.RGB.Color.space.
{YCbCr}.-.select.YCbCr.Color.space.
{YCbCr422}.-.Select.YCbCr422.Color.
space.
{Full RGB}.-.select.Full.RGB.Color.
space.
Thing is it does not explain which one to select, I have a l HD ready TV Panasonic TX-P42C10B if that is any help for knowing which setting to select? Dont really know what colour space is for, could anyone tell me and which setting to select? Does it mater which one I select?
Thanks for any help

Spears and Munsil have an article: http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...olorspace.html

One of the OPPO FAQs has quite a bit of discussion which would apply to players in general. Just search for "color space" throughout: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

-Bill
post #195 of 197 Old 12-16-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks wmcclain
I am reading the article you gave me the link to and read it quite quickly, need to read a few times I think. But it does say It does not mater what setting you put it on, but I have to find out which give best results, because the player or tv may make a better color conversion. So it want do any harm to the tv picture in anyway if I have it on any one of the settings? It says in the artical "So for these displays, sending in any format other than the one it will use for internal processing will only add extra processing and potentially degrade the image". This doesn't mean it will degrade the image permanently does it? Just a bit worried about doing in the TV, it was quite expensive.
thanks for your help
post #196 of 197 Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonmon View Post

Thanks wmcclain
I am reading the article you gave me the link to and read it quite quickly, need to read a few times I think. But it does say It does not mater what setting you put it on, but I have to find out which give best results, because the player or tv may make a better color conversion. So it want do any harm to the tv picture in anyway if I have it on any one of the settings? It says in the artical "So for these displays, sending in any format other than the one it will use for internal processing will only add extra processing and potentially degrade the image". This doesn't mean it will degrade the image permanently does it? Just a bit worried about doing in the TV, it was quite expensive.
thanks for your help

No, you can't do any permanent damage. It's just a matter of trying to find the optimum settings for best performance. Color space setting shouldn't matter, but sometimes it does. Consumer electronics are still imperfect appliances.

Unless something is seriously broken in the design of a specific piece of gear, the differences between the settings will be very minor. As always, use a calibration disc for best results.

-Bill
post #197 of 197 Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply . I will have to do some testing to see if there is any difference in the settings
thanks again
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page