post #1 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Toshiba Introduces Blu-ray Disc Player

Debut player delivers high image quality and sophisticated design, a great complement to Toshiba's superior line of HDTVs

WAYNE, N.J., Sept. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba America Consumer Products L.L.C. ("Toshiba"), a market leader in home entertainment products, underscores its commitment to high-definition entertainment with the introduction of its first Blu-ray Disc player. The BDX2000 provides Full HD 1080p digital output that when coupled with a REGZA(R) LCD TV, enables consumers to enjoy the superior quality of high-definition audio & video content.

Supporting BD-Live(TM) (Profile 2.0), the BDX2000 allows users to take advantage of interactive features through an Ethernet connection. With interactive content enabled on select Blu-ray discs and Bonus View(TM) support for picture-in-picture capability, Toshiba's Blu-ray player offers state-of-the-art home entertainment.

Complementing the player's stunning picture quality, design is an integral component of Toshiba's home entertainment products. This new Blu-ray Disc player boasts a faceted design featuring a smoked mirrored front panel. The stylish front panel dropdown door conceals the player's primary functions, allowing for a smooth, clean facade.

"Toshiba is a technology leader in high definition products," said Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Digital A/V Group. "From listening to our consumers we know they demand access to full high definition content. With the introduction of our BDX2000 we are offering consumers what they want with a breath-taking HD viewing experience to meet the needs of today's home theater."

Using the REGZA-LINK(R) function, the new BDX2000 can connect with a REGZA LCD TV via a HDMI(TM) cable and display full high definition content with a single remote control. For added convenience, the BDX2000 features a SD card slot, making it an entertainment hub in the home by allowing consumers to showcase photos and videos with ease.

Additional Product Features:

* BD-Live(TM) (Profile 2.0)
* 1080p/ 24 fps Full HD Video Output
* AVCHD Playback
* Toshiba REGZA-LINK(R) (HDMI-CEC)
* Support for enhanced audio formats from Dolby(R) True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio | Essential(TM) Playback
* Bonus View
* SD Card Slot
* ENERGY STAR(R) Certified

Pricing and Availability:

Toshiba Blu-ray Disc Player

BDX2000 (available November, MSRP $249.99)

Important Notes:

This product does not play HD DVD discs. Blu-ray discs with high-definition content required for HD viewing.

Supported card types: SD cards: 8MB?2GB, SDHC cards: 8GB. Supported file types: JPEG, MP3, WMA and AVCHD. Some cards and files may not be supported.

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewConte...5087843&EDATE=

Toshiba promo page:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/promopag...babdx2000.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

First Toshiba Blu-ray Disc Player Unveiled
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, September 3, 2009

Wayne, N.J - Toshiba America Consumer Products formally introduced Thursday the company's first Blu-ray Disc player for the U.S. market.

Putting its HD DVD platform fully behind it, the company recently announced that it was ready to extend its expertise in DVD technology into the Blu-ray Disc space.

Model BDX2000 will carry a $250 suggested retail when it begins shipping in November.
Toshiba's Blu-ray player
Toshiba's first Blu-ray player, model BDX2000 ($249 suggested retail)

It will include BD-Live Profile 2.0 capability (with the addition of 1GB or more of persistent storage memory via an optional SD card) and BonusView support.

To accommodate the additional memory for the BD-Live function, the player will include an SD card slot that can also be used to play back digital photos and music files on a connected TV.

BD-Live will also require a connection to an in-home broadband network via a built-in Ethernet port. The addition of an optional third-party Wi-Fi adapter will enable wireless Internet connectivity, Toshiba said.

In addition, the player will support all of the advance surround-sound codecs in the Blu-ray spec, and will up-convert standard-definition DVDs to HD formats, including 1080p at 24fps, Toshiba said.

However, Toshiba does not include in the first BD player its advanced XDE up-conversion system that is used in select Toshiba XDE DVD players.

Cosmetically, the BDX2000 was designed to continue the look of Toshiba's 2009 Regza LCD TVs, with a black color treatment similar to the "Deep Lagoon" look of advanced Regza TV models. It also adds a high-gloss front-panel drop-down door to conceal the onboard primary function buttons.

"Design is a very integral component of our whole entertainment-based product lineup," Sally said. "We will follow that tradition, offering a Blu-ray player with a very sleek appearance."

Outputs include a RegzaLink (HDMI-CEC) connection, enabling owners of compatible Toshiba Regza TVs to operate multiple connected components with one remote.

Jodi Sally, Toshiba DAV group marketing VP, said the player will have open distribution to all of Toshiba's authorized retail partners. The company plans to promote the deck both as a stand-alone sale and as an add-on to Regza LCD TVs.

"Our marketing message to our retailers with the launch of our first Blu-ray player is that we want to support the sales of our high-def TV products, and during the key holiday selling season we will deploy promotions enhanced to drive sales at retail, including this model in bundled promotions for the Regza TV lineup," Sally said. "We will also be promoting the player at retail with some promotions designed to drive stand-alone sales."

Details on any specific stand-alone and bundling offers will be announced later, she said.

http://www.twice.com/article/339408-...r_Unveiled.php

I guess bundling players and TVs does matter...
post #3 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It looks like Toshiba bought this player from an OEM supplier. It does not seem to be anything special. No chipset is mentioned for upscaling and no 7x1 analog output. I bet the price will drop rather fast.
post #4 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

"However, Toshiba does not include in the first BD player its advanced XDE up-conversion system that is used in select Toshiba XDE DVD players."

What are they thinking? They've got nothing to differentiate their product. I've got a new Regza TV but it ain't getting a BDX2000 along side it.

David
post #5 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nice sleek looking player. May be short on features but it will probably be very affordable around the holidays for the masses.
post #6 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Looks like a pretty average Blu-ray player. Nice to see AVCHD support. But, no HD DVD support, no streaming services (like Netflix, Pandora, etc.), no MKV support, seems like no USB ports for media playback, and seems like no special DVD upconversion.

Nothing exciting from what I can tell.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Yeah, would've it cost that much extra for them to throw HD DVD support in there? Maybe, but that would've been a nice bonus to differentiate itself from other players. Obviously that would mostly appeal to early adopters with HD-DVD collections, but even those without might be tempted since last time I checked you could still pick up lots of quality titles for $4-5, some of which are still not on blu-ray.
post #8 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

Yeah, would've it cost that much extra for them to throw HD DVD support in there? Maybe, but that would've been a nice bonus to differentiate itself from other players. Obviously that would mostly appeal to early adopters with HD-DVD collections, but even those without might be tempted since last time I checked you could still pick up lots of quality titles for $4-5, some of which are still not on blu-ray.

Toshiba is now a member of the BDA. They promote, license and sell bluray products. Not HD DVD. HD DVD is dead. Putting in HD DVD playback would have never been allowed by the BDA. Bluray is the HD format.

Early HD DVD adopters can buy players on eBAY.
post #9 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Toshiba is now a member of the BDA. They promote, license and sell bluray products. Not HD DVD. HD DVD is dead. Putting in HD DVD playback would have never been allowed by the BDA. Bluray is the HD format.

Early HD DVD adopters can buy players on eBAY.

The BDA didn't stop Samsung and LG.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #10 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

This player is a rushed cheap player.

I'm actually amazed its going to be on sale in November, that is extremely fast from the very first rumors to actually being for sale.

But it won't internally decode DTS HD Master Audio, thus the DTS HD Advanced out logo on it instead, which is pretty disappointing.

This player offers NOTHING, ZIPPO, ZILCH, over a cheap Funai or Insignia player, ESPECIALLY since Funai and Insignia started having firmware updates available.

Toshiba will sell a lot of these during the holidays, when it goes on sale for $149 or probably less.
post #11 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, the fact that it doesn't offer XDE is hilarious, since I thought Toshiba could tout that feature over all the other manufactuers.

I would bet Toshiba didn't even make this player, it just contracted it out.

Either that, or they already gave up on XDE.
post #12 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
They did not give up on XDE. Toshiba just announced a new model today.
Regarding the Blu-Ray player is seems that Toshiba outsourced it to a OEM manufacturer.

The price should be really low around the holiday season.
post #13 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, well thats what I thought about using a 3rd party to make the player.

As for XDE, If they are going to continue it. I bet they will release a Full Featured Bluray player, built by Toshiba, that has XDE, on board decoding, analog outs, streaming services, etc. etc. etc.

But that will take a while to produce, they'll probably announce a player like that at CES and it could be out by May or June.

We'll have to wait for a REAL Toshiba player, because this is not it.
post #14 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

The BDA didn't stop Samsung and LG.

Yeah, when both formats were alive and viable. Different times now.

Toshiba officially killed HD DVD on 2/19/08. It was subsequently pulled from the marketplace/liquidated, effectively eliminating it from the mainstream marketplace.

In 2009, there is one HD format, bluray. Why would the BDA allow Toshiba to include HD DVD playback and open old wounds/conspiracy theories about HD DVD making a comeback, etc. It would be bad for the bluray image and market perception.

The entire industry is now behind one format, and a lot of new customers might not have even ever heard of HD DVD.

I just wish this player had a few more bells and whistles - it is barebones and nothing to get excited about.
post #15 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

In 2009, there is one HD format, bluray. Why would the BDA allow Toshiba to include HD DVD playback and open old wounds/conspiracy theories about HD DVD making a comeback, etc. It would be bad for the bluray image and market perception.

The BDA can't prevent Toshiba from adding HD DVD support (there are anti-competitive laws that prevent organizations from doing that) so the fact that Toshiba's Blu-ray player doesn't have HD DVD support was a decision that Toshiba made.
post #16 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looks ho-hum. Probably a Samsung clone.
post #17 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
upside down hdmi makes me think funai.
post #18 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

remote is basically same as onkyo/sylvania/magnavox.

poor form toshiba. poor form.
post #19 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Can you blame them? They took a huge loss when HD-DVD loss, now they just want to get something out for the holiday season. This is mearly a shelf placeholder until they can actually put out a real Toshiba player.
post #20 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

upside down hdmi makes me think funai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

remote is basically same as onkyo/sylvania/magnavox.

poor form toshiba. poor form.

Good eye winston:

The remotes are nearly identical and the HDMI port is inverted the same on each.

Remotes:

Toshiba

Magnavox

HDMI Port:

Toshiba

Magnavox

Way to impress Toshiba....way to impress....

At least we got that "smoke mirror" flip down door, right? Right?? sigh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post

Can you blame them? They took a huge loss when HD-DVD loss, now they just want to get something out for the holiday season. This is mearly a shelf placeholder until they can actually put out a real Toshiba player.

First impressions....

I was actually looking forward to this player. All I ever heard/hear was how GREAT Toshiba HD DVD players were/are...now we have an apparent rebadge.

I hope they have more stuff up their sleeve and this isn't just lip service. Why make a player at all if you are going to half-ass it? At least Magnavox is selling their stuff dirt cheap at Walmart...yet Toshiba wants $250? Hmmm.....pass.
post #21 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 04:40 PM

well while it`s said toshiba made great players, their decision making wasn`t that great at all. this is just them at being them. I only wonder will toshiba disband the dvd forum as well now ? ...
post #22 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good eye winston:

The remotes are nearly identical and the HDMI port is inverted the same on each.

Remotes:

Toshiba

Magnavox

HDMI Port:

Toshiba

Magnavox

Way to impress Toshiba....way to impress....

At least we got that "smoke mirror" flip down door, right? Right?? sigh..

First impressions....

I was actually looking forward to this player. All I ever heard/hear was how GREAT Toshiba HD DVD players were/are...now we have an apparent rebadge.

I hope they have more stuff up their sleeve and this isn't just lip service. Why make a player at all if you are going to half-ass it? At least Magnavox is selling their stuff dirt cheap at Walmart...yet Toshiba wants $250? Hmmm.....pass.

toshiba should embarassed they are trying to say this is a $250 player; onkyo should be mortified they are selling it for $450.
post #23 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 PM

I hope this is their initial entry which is just a rebadge and a real solid player is in the works that includes HD-DVD support (nothing wrong with supporting customers that bought into your product before) and XDE (or better yet make it a high end, premium Silicon Graphics base player ala HD-XA2). I don't think the Blu-Ray association would mind any longer as HD-DVD is officially dead and no new software is made for it. This would definitely differentiate it and I'm sure sales wouldn't be hurt by it.
post #24 of 197 Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 PM

When the format was was initially in full swing I owned two players. One was a Toshiba HD-XA1 and the other was a Panasonic DMP-BD10. The Toshiba was well-built and easy to use. The Panasonic was also well-built, but far less elegant. Both players had dropdown front panels that covered the disc tray. The XA1 had a motorized panel that was super-slick. The Panasonic had a manual pull-down panel, and it drove me bonkers.

However, despite having this panel (which inevitably was left open to gather dust) at least the Panasonic remote control didn't have an eject button. That would have been a recipe for all kinds of drama with the front panel closed.

Flash forward a couple of years and now we have a Toshiba player with a manual pull-down flap, AND a remote control with an eject button. Talk about combining the worst features together. This could be a fantastic player, but this usability flub is enough to make me steer well clear (and tells me that it wasn't actually designed by Toshiba)!
post #25 of 197 Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL. Seems like Toshiba has laid another brick! Why be over 2 years late to the game and bring nothing new of note.

It offers absolutely no compeolling reason to buy. There isn't an outstanding upconversion or network features that would differentiate this. Even on price it is not on the lowest end. Given that a PS3 slimline goes for $299 and similar products from Magnavox goes for $199 or less....who would buy this?
post #26 of 197 Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Although it would be a cool feature, HD DVD is dead. You aren't going to see that format supported. Even the Denon A1 player, which was supposed to be the ultimate universal machine, got released without its planned HD DVD support (I wouldn't be surprised if the BDA wouldn't allow this to avoid consumer confusion, but this is purely my speculation).

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #27 of 197 Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

.Regarding the Blu-Ray player is seems that Toshiba outsourced it to a OEM manufacturer.

Yes, it is sourced from Orion, an ODM manufacturer, and based on the Broadcom chip.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 197 Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"Toshiba has laid another brick!"

I made a connection regarding the XDE-600 and Toshiba's market strategy in the DVD forum. Same now with this product. Since one reply got to "prove it with data" point kinda fast I dropped it over there. However I do not understand Toshiba's market strategy IF they are attempting to reclaim a market share. Just doesn't make any sense.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #29 of 197 Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

Yes, it is sourced from Orion, an ODM manufacturer, and based on the Broadcom chip.

Thanks Keith.

post #30 of 197 Old 09-04-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, when both formats were alive and viable. Different times now.

Toshiba officially killed HD DVD on 2/19/08. It was subsequently pulled from the marketplace/liquidated, effectively eliminating it from the mainstream marketplace.

Makes no sense.

If the BDA had that kind of power they would have definately stopped Samsung and LG from putting the competitions product in their Blu-ray
players when HD DVD was still alive and well.

Not adding HD DVD support is Toshiba's decision not the BDA.

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page