Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does the Netflix interface allow any searching/browsing or can you only see your "Instant Queue" and play from there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the N460 a couple of weeks ago, and this past weekend I got the linksys WET610 Bridge for wireless and setup Netflix. First off, just FYI, I have a cable modem with a constant 8.0 + mbs. The bridge works great, was super easy to setup, and I can watch streaming video. I am however, having one problem. Now, I know this blu-ray player is fairly new, so I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this let, since I am also using wifi setup. While I'm watching a Netflix movie, I will get an error message about 3 times or so throughout the movie, that says "Network Down" and it then gives you the option to retry, which works after about a minute or so. Is this a Netfilx server issue, a wifi signal issue, or a broadband internet issue? Like I had my speed is pretty constant, but I wonder if I hit a download/steaming limit, where the one or more of the servers, be it Netflix of my ISP, resets something... not sure. It's just really annoying to be right in the middle of the movie, and I loose the network connection and have to FF to find the place in the movie again. Any ideas / suggestions?

Also, I have one more question... well, more of a which would you do type question. I have my N460 running to my AV receiver / speaker system, which is the Sony HT-CT500 receiver / soundbar. Now, before I got this blu-ray player, I had the Video Direct option set to ON, so that the video would pass straight trough the AV receiver, and not be upscaled or messed with. From some of the posts before though, it sounds like the upscaling of the N460 might not be that great, and the CT500 (my receiver) has the fujida processor in it, which I understand to be a very good upscaler. So should I go ahead and upscale the video signal with the CT500 as well? And, if I do decide to do this, is there a way to disable the upscaleing of the N460, or does it matter if the signal is upscaled twice?

Thanks for your help and advice. Hope I can help you in the future.
post #273 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Does the Netflix interface allow any searching/browsing or can you only see your "Instant Queue" and play from there?

Instant Queue only.
I have no idea why they do this, it would be so much nicer to browse all available movies from the couch and no need to add them to the queue from the computer then get on the blu ray player to play them.
post #274 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftks View Post

I bought the N460 a couple of weeks ago, and this past weekend I got the linksys WET610 Bridge for wireless and setup Netflix. First off, just FYI, I have a cable modem with a constant 8.0 + mbs. The bridge works great, was super easy to setup, and I can watch streaming video. I am however, having one problem. Now, I know this blu-ray player is fairly new, so I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this let, since I am also using wifi setup. While I'm watching a Netflix movie, I will get an error message about 3 times or so throughout the movie, that says "Network Down" and it then gives you the option to retry, which works after about a minute or so. Is this a Netfilx server issue, a wifi signal issue, or a broadband internet issue? Like I had my speed is pretty constant, but I wonder if I hit a download/steaming “limit”, where the one or more of the servers, be it Netflix of my ISP, resets something... not sure. It's just really annoying to be right in the middle of the movie, and I loose the network connection and have to FF to find the place in the movie again. Any ideas / suggestions?

Also, I have one more question... well, more of a which would you do type question. I have my N460 running to my AV receiver / speaker system, which is the Sony HT-CT500 receiver / soundbar. Now, before I got this blu-ray player, I had the Video Direct option set to ON, so that the video would pass straight trough the AV receiver, and not be upscaled or messed with. From some of the posts before though, it sounds like the upscaling of the N460 might not be that great, and the CT500 (my receiver) has the fujida processor in it, which I understand to be a very good upscaler. So should I go ahead and upscale the video signal with the CT500 as well? And, if I do decide to do this, is there a way to disable the upscaleing of the N460, or does it matter if the signal is upscaled twice?

Thanks for your help and advice. Hope I can help you in the future.

I got that network down message a few times yesterday but not on Netflix. I was trying to watch some video pod casts. I didn't get it during the video but when i tried to watch a new one from the start it would say that then if I tried again it would work. The EHow videos have all been saying Network Down for me though and Fear.Net still isn't working at all.

As for the connection to your receiver just try it the different ways you said and see which way looks best to you. I think the upconversion on this player is pretty damn nice myself. Try first letting the player upconvert on it's own with no adjustment from your receiver and see how well you like it.
post #275 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 PM

I've yet to see the 'network down' message. So far, it's worked perfectly with no interruptions.
post #276 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

The N460 connects directly to the Netflix servers for streaming.

Does this mean it you do not need to go through or register with Sony Essentials to be able to stream movies from netflix? I am getting conflicting information. Thanks!
post #277 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post

Does this mean it you do not need to go through or register with Sony Essentials to be able to stream movies from netflix? I am getting conflicting information. Thanks!

Not sure what the problem is but you need to register with Sony to get all the content available. There's lots of content available that's not mentioned on their website like the MJ videos. You do it one time and you're done.
post #278 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Liked: 11
I think you can register the player with Netflix right from your computer, but you have to have the player on at the time. It will guide you through it on the Netflix site. The player will generate a code that you have to enter on the Netflix site and then it will pair with your player. You only have to do this once. As far as the Sony essentials, I'm not sure if that is needed for the Netflix, but maybe just for the other streaming options. However it doesn't hurt to do it anyway, then you're set up for any streaming. It's pretty simple too.

Larry
post #279 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM

does this unit use a fan or is it silent except for the drive?
post #280 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Does anyone think that adding a flash drive to the N460, via the usb in the back, would create a "buffer" to help with streaming large amounts of content, like movies from Netflix. As I stated above, the couple of movies I watched this weekend from Netflix would be interrupted with "Network Down" errors, and after a minute or two, it would reconnect to the movie I was watching just fine, but I would have to FF to the place I was at. Like I said I'm not entirely sure that it's not the wireless bridge either. Any thoughts?

- Thanks
post #281 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Liked: 11
It has a fan on the back panel, I've never noticed any noise from it.

Larry
post #282 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGal View Post

I've yet to see the 'network down' message. So far, it's worked perfectly with no interruptions.

Check out the EHow section and try to watch a tech video.
post #283 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Does anyone think that adding a flash drive to the N460, via the usb in the back, would create a "buffer" to help with streaming large amounts of content, like movies from Netflix. ...........Any thoughts?

- Thanks

I'm about to ask the same question. Any advice? Thank you.
post #284 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post

Check out the EHow section and try to watch a tech video.

I played around with it (all the channels) all weekend and didn't see the 'network down' message. I did, however, insert the Sony flash drive into the back...not sure if that makes a difference or not. I mainly put it in to access BD Live.
post #285 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Did you specifically check the EHOW section and try to watch a tech video like "how to burn a blu ray" for example?

Everything else (besides Fear.Net) works for me but not those EHOW videos.

Inserting a flash drive shouldn't work for anything but bd live content.
post #286 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Well, I thought I'd take one for the team, and sit down and chat with Sony tech support (if you can call it that). If any of you have dealt with them before, you know how frustrating they can be... surprise, surprise No Answers. Why is it that an informed consumer has more info. than their tech support. Now if I was chatting with a customer service rep., then I would expect them to be ignorant. But it's supposed to TECH SUPPORT... i.e. TECHNICAL SHI*!!!!! Anyway, sorry for the rant, just wasted about 40 mins, oh well.
Yeah, I figured adding a flash drive to the usb wouldn't help, but thought it might be worth a try. Guess, I send a e-mail to Netflix, although trying to get a e-mail address to their watching live department seems to be a hassle in its self.

*update*
Called Netflix. They said they aren't aware of any network problems as of now. Said to call back when the actual error is happening. Told him I will do. "He is the most interesting man in the world.." - God what a great commerical... Opps sorry for that tangent... TV in the back ground
Anyway, yeah... they did say that if the error doesn't have a numeric code attached to it, then it's most likley not their problem. He did give me a phone # directly to Sony Blu-Ray tech support, which I will call in the morning. Hope to get this resloved; starting to think that it is either a sony/netflix problem since this is a fairly new partnership, or it's a wifi bridge issue. We'll see I guess.
post #287 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Nice try Swiftks, thanks a lot for your info.
post #288 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM

I have a ps3 thats streaming netflix wireless with the disc netflix sent me and it works perfectly. In another room i have a bdpn460 which i ran directly into the router so its wired. This player streams amazon on demand - you tube and other services perfectly but the netflix is not streaming as well. Its clear and watchable but is not flowing smoothly - its slightly choppy - just to enough to be aggravating. I called sony they say it is netflix and i called netflix and they say it is sony. HAs anyone else had this problem or know what it might be? My firmware is up to date accroding to netflix and sony. Thank you in advance
post #289 of 1294 Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Did you specifically check the EHOW section and try to watch a tech video like "how to burn a blu ray" for example?

Yes.
post #290 of 1294 Old 11-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm not sure why I get network down with those specific videos then. What about Fear.Net? Can you get that to come in?
post #291 of 1294 Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Hmm not sure why I get network down with those specific videos then. What about Fear.Net? Can you get that to come in?

No, but after a quick search, Fearnet is down for everyone. "This service is currently offline. Please try again later".

I went back to eHow again last night and watched some of the longer videos (5+ minutes) and still haven't received the 'network down' message. Hopefully, you'll be able to resolve it soon.
post #292 of 1294 Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Yea I figured Fear.Net was down for everyone but Sony is apparently unaware of this. I sent them an email telling them I am unable to connect to Fear.Net and they want me to call them to try and resolve it but I just haven't had the time or I keep forgetting to call them.
I'll try EHOW again tonight and try some different videos than the ones I've tried watching before.
post #293 of 1294 Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM

I just picked up this n460, after returning an LG 370. The LG did a terrible job with DVDs, jaggies all over the place at 1080p. I had to change the output resolution down to 480p to get the LG to display a nice DVD picture, and even then my old standard player was better.
The up-conversion with this Sony is great!! Much better quality at 1080p output than both the LG and even my old player. I have a 65" screen, so every little glitch is noticeable, and the Sony is great. So far its my keeper.
post #294 of 1294 Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Well for some reason now I can see all the EHow videos (even though they kind of blow haha)
post #295 of 1294 Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 AM

After literally spending hours with tech support at Netflix and Sony (I am getting a DRM-1 error when trying to play a movie), I believe I have learned this much:

I have a wired connection and it also gets a random network down message once and a while. So, it's really not likely that a wireless bridge is causing this problem considering it happens with a wired connection also. (Guessing Sony firmware here as I sometime get it while messing with network settings and not even playing a movie.)

You need to register with Sony Essentials. Somewhere there is comunication between Sony and Netflix the N460. You are streaming from Netflix but getting some key, token or DRM something from Essentials to be able to play the movie.

If you lose your network connection to Essentials, I believe you lose your license to play the netflix movie, and thus, have to restart the movie (maybe retry?) My guess is, it makes a check randomly to verify the 460 is allowed to play the movie while playing it.

Few impressions. Dislike the remote, like the picture and sound when playing blu-rays very much and it seems to do a decent job upconverting regular DVDs as well.

Some setting in my Linksys router or switch is preventing the proper packets from getting to the N460 that involve DRM. If I drag my DSL modem down to the den and plug the 460 directly into it, I can play netflix movies without getting a DRM-1 error. Otherwise, I am hosed atm and waiting for a calling from Sony. The streaming from netflix works on a laptop using the same cable in the den (odd) but netflix tells me that the streaming devices (blu-rays, TVs, Rokus etc) use a different protocol then PC which are using Silverlight and MS's DRM which in some twisted way makes sense. I am able to connect to the internet and I can watch youtube videos so I'm really wondering if some port or something is being filtered improperly or Sony's network (essentials) or firmware is still iffy.

Any thoughts on my issue?
post #296 of 1294 Old 11-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If I hook this up to my TV with HDMI will the N460 still output digital audio to my reciever using the coxial or optical connections?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #297 of 1294 Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

If I hook this up to my TV with HDMI will the N460 still output digital audio to my reciever using the coxial or optical connections?

Yes, but you need to choose the right audio setting to send surround to your receiver. I believe the settings are optical priority and bitstream.
post #298 of 1294 Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM

Just wanted to share a few of the default setting I've changed, just in case anyone cares:

Video Settings:

Output Video Format ---> HDMI ----> 1080p

BD-ROM 1080/24p Output ---> On (if your tv supports 1080p/24 Hz)

Audio Settings:

BD Audio Setting ---> Direct (via recommendation from pg. 20 of the manual when connecting with HDMI, & b/c I don't listen to commentary anyway)

Audio DRC ----> Wide Range (No Audio Compression for a "more dynamic sound" - pg. 47 of manual)

BD/DVD Viewing Setting:

BD Internet Connection ---> Allow (enables BDLive, etc.; you need Flash Drive in back of player as well)

- Thanks
post #299 of 1294 Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Just wanted to share a few of the default setting I've changed, just in case anyone cares:

Video Settings:

Output Video Format ---> HDMI ----> 1080p

BD-ROM 1080/24p Output ---> On (if your tv supports 1080p/24 Hz)

Audio Settings:

BD Audio Setting ---> Direct (via recommendation from pg. 20 of the manual when connecting with HDMI, & b/c I don't listen to commentary anyway)

Audio DRC ----> Wide Range (No Audio Compression for a "more dynamic sound" - pg. 47 of manual)

BD/DVD Viewing Setting:

BD Internet Connection ---> Allow (enables BDLive, etc.; you need Flash Drive in back of player as well)

- Thanks

That's the settings I use except I keep 24p on auto because I split the HDMI to 2 HDTVs: one 24p capable the other not.
post #300 of 1294 Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeply View Post

...You need to register with Sony Essentials. Somewhere there is comunication between Sony and Netflix the N460. You are streaming from Netflix but getting some key, token or DRM something from Essentials to be able to play the movie.

If you lose your network connection to Essentials, I believe you lose your license to play the netflix movie, and thus, have to restart the movie (maybe retry?) My guess is, it makes a check randomly to verify the 460 is allowed to play the movie while playing it...

So far I am liking this Sony player, much better than the LG370 I tried. The Sony's DVD upconversion is great, I am getting a slightly better picture than my older std dvd player.
But this makes me wonder if by having to link with Essential that they are tracking your content. For the LG player, I didn't need a 3rd party service, was able to stream Netflix directly.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page