Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1291 Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftks View Post

Just wanted to share a few of the default setting I've changed, just in case anyone cares:

Video Settings:

Output Video Format ---> HDMI ----> 1080p

BD-ROM 1080/24p Output ---> On (if your tv supports 1080p/24 Hz)

Audio Settings:

BD Audio Setting ---> Direct (via recommendation from pg. 20 of the manual when connecting with HDMI, & b/c I don't listen to commentary anyway)

Audio DRC ----> Wide Range (No Audio Compression for a "more dynamic sound" - pg. 47 of manual)

BD/DVD Viewing Setting:

BD Internet Connection ---> Allow (enables BDLive, etc.; you need Flash Drive in back of player as well)

Pretty much the same here. Have a Sony 46V3000 TV and Denon 2809ci AVR.

Force 1080p. -> Don't want the Denon or TV doing up conversion.
24 fps -> The TV can handle it (although in a kind of fake way)
Direct -> The Denon can decode anything current or lower.
Audio DRC wide range -> This was a big one for me, I don't want the BD player doing sound compression, thats what I have the Denon for if I choose. (Audessy, Dynamic EQ and Vol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1291 Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM

I wasn't getting audio from Netflix using HDMI, other services had audio, though. Got to second level support from Sony who said to change the settings for Audio from "Auto" to "PCM", which worked. I've also changed the Blu Ray Audio to Direct. I'll see how the other streaming audio sounds to see if I just leave it at PCM or switch back and forth.

He said Netflix would be improving their audio in the future.

Is anyone else having this issue?
post #303 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 AM

Does this unit stream media from a networked PC? Also, the manual says that the front USB is for photos, but can it also play MP3's from a usb thumb drive?

Thanks
post #304 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 AM

I got the Sony hooked up two weeks ago and have been messing with it. So far we have mostly watched Blu-Ray disks on it. We did a side by side comparison on a Blu-Ray and regular disk.

I have a Mitsubishi WS-55908 (several years old) so it is only 1080i, Denon 3802 and had the Denon 3800 DVD. The picture of the 3800 was great when it came out several years ago. I hooked up the Sony and we watched Air Force One the other night and compared the two disks. The Blu-Ray is great, even on 1080i but the upscaled picture was okay and I kind of preferred the Denon due to the great picture processing in the Denon.

The only thing I have found is that there is a very loud pop or snap through the speakers when the disks goes from a menu to the picture or in a scene change. I am afraid it may hurt the speakers. I use an optical cable from the Sony to the Denon. Should I switch the audio to direct and let my receiver decode it? Has anyone else heard this? Thanks.

Mike B.
Gilbert, AZ
post #305 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for bringing it to my attention to set audio to wide. Sounds better on it. I had it set to auto before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #306 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

mbart0656, I would try letting your audio receiver decode it if you are getting pops like that. I'm letting my Onkyo receiver do the decoding through optical and I don't get any pops like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #307 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 AM

I'll try that but maybe tomorrow, I have a house full of people waiting for turkey. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike B.
Gilbert, AZ
post #308 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 AM

I had the same question as Tim60... can this unit stream from a local pc server like the ps3 can? This is all that's holding me back from buying it, and I can't seem to find any info saying one way or the other.
post #309 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 AM

BetterDan, I was able to breakaway from the family and try stuff out. The Sony , I think, does not decode Dolby D or DTS. The only selection was Dolby output (for an external decoder it said) or a PCM downmix. Same was true for the DTS option. I did use the wide mode for DRS and it seemed to reduce. It was bad last night on Star Trek so I'll try that a little later. Thanks.

Mike B.
Gilbert, AZ
post #310 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Meeply, what do you think of the Denon 2809ci? I was looking at it for an upgrade. The price was better than the 3809ci and it seemed to have the same features if it was a single room installation. Thanks.

Mike B.
Gilbert, AZ
post #311 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 12:04 PM

It looks like streaming for Netflix works, but is anyone using the slacker capability? I currently use the Squeezebox Duet for my audio needs throughout the house. I would like to move to the HT/2 channel room off this system and use the new PS Audio Perfectwave. I will not keep the Squeezebox, but the wife still wants her internet radio and I need a BR player for the living room. Is Slacker free?

Thanks,
SC
post #312 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Oh yea I think it only decodes and outputs via the HDMI cable, if you hook it up via optical then it sends out the audio undecoded for the receiver to decode.

post #313 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart0656 View Post

Meeply, what do you think of the Denon 2809ci? I was looking at it for an upgrade. The price was better than the 3809ci and it seemed to have the same features if it was a single room installation. Thanks.

Do you mean the Denon 3808? Probably not a huge difference in sound quality so buy which receiver has the options you want at your price point. What are you using now? I have a 3808.
post #314 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 05:22 PM

Netflix works well for me so far, but occassionally with YouTube videos the machine locks up. Even the power button doesn't do anything...and I did try holding it down for 10 seconds.
post #315 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM

I have the 3802, it's 5 to 6 years old with no HDMI and only 3 optical inputs so it's starting to show its age. Sound is great but, time marches on! I just the Denon site, I guess they are up to the 3310 now.

Mike B.
Gilbert, AZ
post #316 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart0656 View Post

Mbart,

I personally like the 2809ci very much. The sound is clear and solid with plenty of power to spare, 4 HDMI ports and decodes all the latest bitstream formats so I have the option if I need it. Also runs cool so no Onkyo like issues. Cons: Both models have a pretty confusing and disappointing remote control and menu system (have a harmony so no issue there for me once I set it up) and the 2809 it is not good at all at video upconversion. What sold me was the Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol which was a new feature last year (thus I don't use any DRC from sources) and I think the lower model (2309) might not have had the dynamic volume.

The 3809 I'm sure is very solid but for my price point, I don't remember it having anything I needed to merit the upgrade. I it might have had some video upgrading over HDMI possibly that I really wasn't interested in since I wanted pure video source to my TV and I think there was better multi room support that I didn't need. I do know that the 380x and higher is considered above consumer level by Denon and thus, you can get firmware updates directly from their website where as the lower models, I believe you have to get them from tech support. I haven't had a firmware issue so it has never bothered me. I'm not sure what else Denon thinks the 3xxx lines get that the 2xxx lines didn't.

I got mine when they were just released so there was a pretty large price gap between the two. If that has closed considerable, I might have rethought the 3809 but I don't regret what I have now. The Blu-ray player has really just shown me more of what that reciever can do with the right sound feeds, both bitstreamed and PCM. If I remember correctly, the 2809 has some multi room features also but limited. There is a zone 2 (non HDMI) for video and audio and a zone 3 for audio only but I think you need to steal 2 sound channels from 7.1 to use it. Thus, 5.1 in main room, 2.0 in second and third rooms. I also just use it for a single room. I'd reall yhave to go back and check the manuals to compare again to see since I don't use them.

As far as the Audessy dyn EQ and vol features, my room now is not optimal at all so I have had a hard time calibrating it correctly but I am not planning on staying here much longer and plan to choose a better room for home theater. I'm hoping I will get more out of the dynamic vol with a more nomalized setup. Right now, the gear is in a huge rregular shapped basement with tile floors and the heating and AC units directly behind it so... I've never really been able to comment on how well those features work yet.

Basically, I let the sources (Blu-ray, HD DirecTV) and the TV (Sony) handle all the video and the Denon handle all the audio options and that's working great for me. I don't think either model would be a bad choice so it really depends on price difference and if there was a feature on the 38 that I don't recall that you might want.

Good luck.
Meeply
post #317 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

Do you mean the Denon 3808? Probably not a huge difference in sound quality so buy which receiver has the options you want at your price point. What are you using now? I have a 3808.

Hmm, it didn't occur to me until after my reply that it might be the 3808 he was talking about, not the 09. If I remember correctly, the new features for the 09 were dynamic volume and maybe an extra HDMI port or two and possibly decoding all the HD formats (not sure on that one, the 08s might have already had that.) I definately need the HDMI ports and I like all the extra audio ports like phono etc that were missing from the 230x line and lower.

Now that I think of it, was the 38 line the model that started with the GUI interface instead of the character based setup screens on the 28s?
post #318 of 1291 Old 11-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Liked: 11
Streamed two Netflix movies tonight, one SD the other HD. They both looked better than expected. No glitches or delays or hangups at all. I'm very happy with this choice for a BD player.

Larry
post #319 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 01:36 AM

Ahh back to the N460... /grin

I can stream netflix from my laptop w/HDMI out and have done so for a while with good results (other than te 2.0 sound tracks grrrr).

I still can't stream netflix through the N460 though with my regular network setup. One clever guy at nexflix suggested I pull out my DSL modem and connect to the phone jack near the BD player and try a direct connection eliminating the entire network. This actually worked and I was able to stream netflix.

So, the question stands, what in my network chain of routers, switches computers and cables could possibly be causing a DRM-1 error? I can't picture something sniffing every packet and blocking digital rights stuff other than my Linksys router with SPI turned on (I get the same error with SPI off) and even with that on, my laptop on the exact same cable (wired) works just fine.

At a loss here. Anyone?
post #320 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeply View Post

I still can't stream netflix through the N460 though with my regular network setup. One clever guy at nexflix suggested I pull out my DSL modem and connect to the phone jack near the BD player and try a direct connection eliminating the entire network. This actually worked and I was able to stream netflix.

Just in case you haven't tried this yet have you turner off the modem, router, and or switch and reset everything? I'm using a D-Link DIR-655 wi-fi router into a Linksys switch (can't remember the model number) into my HT with no issues. I have the N460, Wii, Denon 3808, and my ATV all connected with no issues.

BTW Denon did not make a 3809. The new 4310 replaces the 3808 and the 3310 replaces the 2809.
post #321 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scervin View Post

Is Slacker free?

Yes, it is.
post #322 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just got one of these at Costco after trading in a few months old Panasonic 60 version (the 605) that froze a few times, set it up, and updated it. So far, I am loving it. It has so much more content than the Panny had, too.

My favorite
post #323 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch View Post

I just got one of these at Costco after trading in a few months old Panasonic 60 version (the 605) that froze a few times, set it up, and updated it. So far, I am loving it. It has so much more content than the Panny had, too.

The remote commands are much more responsive than my Panasonic BD30 was.
post #324 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I have the N460, Wii, Denon 3808, and my ATV all connected with no issues.

I just got the DRM message. I thought about it for a minute trying to determine if I was doing anything different today than I have over the past few weeks. I went to m iMac and noticed I had my iPod Touch connected. I disconnect the Touch when back to the N460 and the message disappeared. So maybe if you have a device not compatible with the DRM Netflix is streaming you will get the message.
post #325 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The remote commands are much more responsive than my Panasonic BD30 was.

I just got all mine into the Harmony Remote. They were nicely added in Device, I just printed those settings, and added most of them to the Blu Ray activity. I have the 460 into a Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR into a Pioneer Elite 1080p plasma. It all turns on and to the correct settings, when I hit the Blu Ray activity.

SWEET!

My favorite
post #326 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM

What size usb memory stick is everyone using in the back socket? I have a 1 gig that I am not using, is there any benefit to buying a larger size??
post #327 of 1291 Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post

What size usb memory stick is everyone using in the back socket? I have a 1 gig that I am not using, is there any benefit to buying a larger size??

I had a capless 4GB, so in it went. I have no idea if a larger stick means anything, here. I have another 4GB with cap to use for front/photos, if I want to.

My favorite
post #328 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hmmm, this is the first Sony stand alone that finally is of great interest to me! After getting tired of my Samsung 2550, but now hooked on the streaming NetFlix, I am very interested in perhaps getting this player. But on the other hand, now that Logitech made a PS3 BT adapter that works with my Harmony 1000, and the PS3 can now do streaming NetFlix = not to mention the new PS3 Slim can bitstream audio (have a Pioneer SC-05 AVR), I am really torn on which one to get. I do have the older 60 GIG PS3, but I really don't play but just one game on it (Need For Speed: Shift because I can use my Logitech G25 steering wheel with it on the PS3), but the Slim would allow me to still play that AND play BD's without more gear on the rack. Argh!
post #329 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:

I just got the DRM message. I thought about it for a minute trying to determine if I was doing anything different today than I have over the past few weeks. I went to m iMac and noticed I had my iPod Touch connected. I disconnect the Touch when back to the N460 and the message disappeared. So maybe if you have a device not compatible with the DRM Netflix is streaming you will get the message.

Interesting observation but...I'm stuggling with this. An IP stream is not an HDMI chain where everything talks to each other before anythign is good to go; thank god. It's just packets being routed to a device. THe only things that should even consider sniffing each packet are routers and switches and most of them only look at the address in the header of the packet. Now, SPI would actually look at most of the packet to determine what type it is and whether it should ignore it or not completely and I have tried with and without SPI on. I have a hard time thinking that even your iMac is sniffing all the packets and tossing some no matter what is connected to it.

The more I think about this, the more afraid I get. Did the studios really infect the TCP/IP stack? OMG!
post #330 of 1291 Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:

BTW Denon did not make a 3809. The new 4310 replaces the 3808 and the 3310 replaces the 2909.

LOL That would explain my difficulty remembering the 3809 feature set and maybe why I didn't buy a 3808, no dyn vol and a major step up in price and features. Now the thread makes more sense lol. So the 38s had all the networking features and the new GUI on it but was missing the newest Audessey with dynamic EQ and volume on it? Was that the difference? When the new 09 models were annouced, I remember following a thread that was specualting on what each model had new on it and might explain where I got imaginary 3809 specs. lol The real difference for me was deciding between the 2309 and the 2809 so, well, my bad. The 380x was out of my price range.

BTW Denon did not make a 2909. Hehe I guess its easy to slip up. I haven't looked at specs or comparison sheets since I bought mine thankfully. Sorry had to do it. ;-)

I use a 4 gig Cruzer in the back of the Sony. I don't expect streaming to improve, just got a good deal on a 3 pack of those at Costco and figured it probably would hold more BD live data than 1 GB. Don't know if that matters but... Can use one for the front for photos if I feel so inclined and have plenty of computers in the house to spread them out. Also, there was someone way earlier on this thread wonder why thier Cruzer did not work with the Sony. It's because they installed some strange app on the USB drive. Just plug it into a computer and you will have the option to uninstall the app. No need to reformat.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page